celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail

You are a lucky crowd today.  This is the first of many posts we’ll categorize as “Cocktails with Lieutenant Dan” and we’re starting with a real doozy, a Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail.

Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail via ASpicyPerspective.com

Lieutenant Dan is my husband.

No, he’s not in the military, but his name is Dan. He got the nickname Lt. Dan somewhere around July 1994, but I can’t exactly remember why.

Fortunately, he’s a keeper. We go together like peas and carrots.

There’s nothing hotter than a man who washes dishes, makes linguini from scratch, and shakes a mean martini.

So with that in mind, I give you Lt. Dan…

Watermelon Cocktail ~ Watermelon Basil Bramble via ASpicyperspective.com

I love to eat.

This is a good thing considering I have a recipe developer, chef and blogger queen as my wife. In many ways our lives revolve around food –food for sustenance, entertainment, community and family. Many of our family vacations revolve around what restaurants to try or what regional cuisine is in season. Food is a major part of our life. But if I am being completely honest, as much as I love to eat… I really, really love to drink.

In that way the wife and I are different. We often say she likes to eat her calories and I like to drink them (which is why we both have to work out all the time).

Do I have the exquisite appetizer or martini? My answer – gin or vodka. Do I go with the chocolate cake or a single malt? Survey says – 18 year Dalwhinnie. How about a thick cut ribeye or robust California Cab? You know the answer… Actually I would rather not have to choose in that situation and have both instead! Anyways, you get the point.

Gin Cocktail via ASpicyPerspective.com

So with that in mind, I have agreed to embark on a once a month post entitled “Cocktails with Lieutenant Dan.” (I know, I know – super cheesy name, but doesn’t hearing Forrest say Lieutenant Dayyan make you smile). I will share classics which I learned from my Great Grandmother and grandmother (where I learned to appreciate cocktails – more on that later) as well as some custom concoctions.

Which brings us to our first cocktail with Lieutenant Dan – the Watermelon Basil Bramble, a watermelon basil gin cocktail. It’s summer, there are tons of fresh fruits and herbs, so why not muddle a few of them together with a bit of grandpas cough medicine!

Enjoy!

Gin Cocktail ~ Watermelon Basil Bramble via ASpicyPerspective.com

Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail

Yield: 1

Cook Time: 3 minutes for simple syrup

• 2 ounces gin
  • 1 ounces fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 - 1 ounce simple syrup
  • 2 chunks watermelon
  • 2 chopped basil leaves
  • pinch of salt

1. Do Ahead: Prepare the simple syrup by heating equal parts water and sugar until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
  2. Cut the watermelon into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
  3. Place the watermelon, basil and salt in a cocktail shaker. Muddle until well smashed and soupy.
  4. Add the gin, lime juice and simple syrup. Fill with ice, place the lid on the shaker and shake well--30 seconds or so.
  5. Pour into a glass and garnish with extra watermelon and basil.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

More Summer Beverages:

Lavender Meyer Lemon Tom Collins

Raspberry Basil Mojitos

Pineapple Sugarcane Spa Water

Green Tea Frappuccino ~ Sandra’s Easy Cooking

Strawberry Wine Punch ~ Miss In The Kitchen

Bourbon Peach Old Fashion ~ Josie Lee

Raspberry Lemonade ~ My Baking Addiction

posted in Beverages
last updated January 28, 2015

You May Also Like...

41 Responses to “Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail”

1. MIss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted August 6, 2012 at 8:09 am

This looks fabulous and it’s nice to meet you Lt. Dan! I love Forrest Gump and the references made me smile this morning.

2. Tara @ Unsophisticookposted August 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

So pretty! I’m more of a margarita girl, but I’d be willing to give this a try. :)

3. Brian @ A Thought For Foodposted August 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

AHAHAHA! Yeah, that’s definitely Forrest Gump (which came out in ’93 or ’94) :-) Too funny.

And yes… I’m all over this cocktail. Watermelon and gin are such a wonderful combination… but one I’d never thought to make. Can’t wait to give this a try!

4. katieposted August 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

This looks stunning! I definitely need to give this a try soon!

5. Jeanetteposted August 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

Nice to meet you Lt. Dan! Your wife is such a talent, so it’s so nice to see what a great team you make. Looking forward to seeing your concoctions each month.

6. Heather (Heather's Dish)posted August 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

ha! i just said “Lt. Dan” in my forrest gump voice – great movie! i can’t wait to see what else you shake up :)

7. Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted August 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

This looks so refreshing, I love the watermelon and basil combo!

8. najwa kronfelposted August 6, 2012 at 10:38 am

Nice and refreshing! I love the combination!

9. Russell at Chasing Deliciousposted August 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yum! These cocktails look great – perfect for summertime!

10. Cassieposted August 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

OH my gosh, you are so cute. My husband’s favorite movie (ever) is Forrest Gump. This post made me smile, and so does this cocktail!

11. Aggieposted August 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

I want to hang out with your family!! Lovin this cocktail! :)

(we are a unit of food and drink lovers as well ;) )

12. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersposted August 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I love the name Lieutenant Dan! Now where do I find one? My Husband needs to hang out with the Lt. so he can learn to make pasta and do dishes! lol Your cocktail looks so refreshing and so delish! I can totally see floating in a pool with one of these drinks in my hand.

13. leslieposted August 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

So very nice to meet you Lieutenant Dan!!!! You make one mean drink!

14. JulieDposted August 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Love that, Sommer! Looks so darn refreshing!!

15. Jen @ Savory SImpleposted August 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This drink looks right up my alley! I think I actually have everything here to make it!

16. valerie suttonposted August 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I just made this w/ stoli…..delicious:)

17. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted August 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Hi Dan, this sounds like my kind of cocktail, looking forward to seeing more!

18. Kelposted August 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Lt. Dan HAS to be from Forrest Gump!

Thanks for the recipe!

19. Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmetposted August 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Oh…so refreshing! Lovely clicks :)

Hugs <3

20. Toni @ Boulder Locavoreposted August 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Scrolling down I caught the Forrest Gump association; what a flash back! I feel convinced THAT Lt. Dan was not sporting mixology magic like this! Fabulous cocktail. Perfect for summer and unpredictable. Thank you!

21. Debbie Floresposted August 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This looks amazing and sooooooo refreshing! Absolutely love the photos and fun to hear from the hubby! Pinning it now!

22. Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted August 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I definitely need a glass of this tonight!

23. Martini Vodka drink Recipesposted August 7, 2012 at 12:15 am

That sounds wonderful! But if it is too sweet, why not use Selzer instead of 7UP?

24. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted August 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

very fun post! This looks so good!

25. Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi)posted August 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

Lt. Dan knows how to make a mean cocktail, that is for sure. and he does the dishes? and he uses my favorite gin? wth? :) Love this.

26. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted August 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

I have yet to make my own watermelon cocktail – this looks perfect, as I’ve recently become a fan of gin. I’m loving this drink series – thank you Sommer and Lt. Dan!!

27. DessertForTwoposted August 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This looks fabulous, Lt Dan! Welcome to blogging :)

28. Kiran @ KiranTarun.composted August 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Cute post!! So nice to meet you, Lt. Dan :)

29. Paula - bell'alimentoposted August 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I have a watermelon in the garage fridge right now. Part of it will be reserved for making these xoxo

30. carolinaheartstringsposted August 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

That looks so wonderful. Perfect for a hot summer night!

31. Lisa | With Style and Graceposted August 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I absolutely love that your husband is guest posting! Mine did for a while and got so into it, it was so fun. These cocktails sound delicious and would totally guzzle it down [minus the gin] right now!

32. Gerry @ Foodness Graciousposted August 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Looks so refreshing! Today would have been perfect weather for this, but there’s always tomorrow ;)

33. Kristenposted August 8, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I am dying over these pictures – so good! And I love a good cocktail… can’t wait to see what Lt Dan continues to bring to the table, so to speak!

34. Sandra's Easy Cookingposted August 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Wonderful post and how sweet of you to let your hubby post. Drink look very refreshing, thank you for sharing and also for linking my frap too!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

35. Lauren of Spanish Saboresposted August 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This looks so delicious. I’ve been making cocktails featuring rum all afternoon, but seeing this makes me want to go out and buy some gin. Here in Spain the watermelons are so sweet and delicious I know this would come out great!

36. Marlyposted August 14, 2012 at 10:36 am

Nice to meet you mr. Lt. Dan. I love the idea of the monthly cocktail and you’ve started it out on a great note. Now I need a reason to give this one a try. Or do I???

37. Starposted July 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Reading this made me think you were creating a bio of my husband and myself. Our friends and family think it’s odd that we take vacations to seek out a particilar cuisine or chef we’ve read about! My husband is more the calories from beverages kinda guy as well.
    So glad I saw this pinned! Kep on cookin and shakin!

38. Pingback: 20 Recipes: Eat Watermelon All Day Long |

39. Pingback: I’ve been drinking… | MUST WE?

40. Pingback: Confessions of a Mixologist: 4 Epic Bramble Cocktails | Binny's BlogBinny's Blog