Watermelon Basil “Bramble” Cocktail

Gin Cocktail ~ Watermelon Basil Bramble via ASpicyPerspective.com

You are a lucky crowd today.  This is the first of many posts we’ll categorize as “Cocktails with Lieutenant Dan” and we’re starting with a real doozy, a Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail.

Lieutenant Dan is my husband.

No, he’s not in the military, but his name is Dan. He got the nickname Lt. Dan somewhere around July 1994, but I can’t exactly remember why.

Fortunately, he’s a keeper. We go together like peas and carrots.

There’s nothing hotter than a man who washes dishes, makes linguini from scratch, and shakes a mean martini.

So with that in mind, I give you Lt. Dan…

Watermelon Cocktail ~ Watermelon Basil Bramble via ASpicyperspective.com

I love to eat.

This is a good thing considering I have a recipe developer, chef and blogger queen as my wife. In many ways our lives revolve around food –food for sustenance, entertainment, community and family. Many of our family vacations revolve around what restaurants to try or what regional cuisine is in season. Food is a major part of our life. But if I am being completely honest, as much as I love to eat… I really, really love to drink.

In that way the wife and I are different. We often say she likes to eat her calories and I like to drink them (which is why we both have to work out all the time).

Do I have the exquisite appetizer or martini? My answer – gin or vodka. Do I go with the chocolate cake or a single malt? Survey says – 18 year Dalwhinnie. How about a thick cut ribeye or robust California Cab? You know the answer… Actually I would rather not have to choose in that situation and have both instead! Anyways, you get the point.

Gin Cocktail via ASpicyPerspective.com

So with that in mind, I have agreed to embark on a once a month post entitled “Cocktails with Lieutenant Dan.” (I know, I know – super cheesy name, but doesn’t hearing Forrest say Lieutenant Dayyan make you smile). I will share classics which I learned from my Great Grandmother and grandmother (where I learned to appreciate cocktails – more on that later) as well as some custom concoctions.

Which brings us to our first cocktail with Lieutenant Dan – the Watermelon Basil Bramble, a watermelon basil gin cocktail. It’s summer, there are tons of fresh fruits and herbs, so why not muddle a few of them together with a bit of grandpas cough medicine!

Enjoy!

Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail via ASpicyPerspective.com

Yield: 1

Cook Time: 3 minutes for simple syrup

Gin Cocktail ~ Watermelon Basil Bramble Cocktail

2 oz. gin
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 - 1 oz. simple syrup
2 chunks watermelon
2 chopped basil leaves
pinch of salt

Do Ahead: Prepare the simple syrup by heating equal parts water and sugar until dissolved. Set aside to cool.

Cut the watermelon into 1 1/2 inch chunks.

Place the watermelon, basil and salt in a cocktail shaker. Muddle until well smashed and soupy.

Add the gin, lime juice and simple syrup. Fill with ice, place the lid on the shaker and shake well--30 seconds or so.

Pour into a glass and garnish with extra watermelon and basil.

More Summer Beverages:

Lavender Meyer Lemon Tom Collins

Raspberry Basil Mojitos

Pineapple Sugarcane Spa Water

Green Tea Frappuccino ~ Sandra’s Easy Cooking

Strawberry Wine Punch ~ Miss In The Kitchen

Bourbon Peach Old Fashion ~ Josie Lee

Raspberry Lemonade ~ My Baking Addiction

39 Responses to “Watermelon Basil “Bramble” Cocktail”

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 6, 2012 @ 8:09 am

This looks fabulous and it’s nice to meet you Lt. Dan! I love Forrest Gump and the references made me smile this morning.

Tara @ Unsophisticook — August 6, 2012 @ 8:23 am

So pretty! I’m more of a margarita girl, but I’d be willing to give this a try. :)

Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 6, 2012 @ 8:24 am

AHAHAHA! Yeah, that’s definitely Forrest Gump (which came out in ’93 or ’94) :-) Too funny.

And yes… I’m all over this cocktail. Watermelon and gin are such a wonderful combination… but one I’d never thought to make. Can’t wait to give this a try!

katie — August 6, 2012 @ 9:27 am

This looks stunning! I definitely need to give this a try soon!

Jeanette — August 6, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Nice to meet you Lt. Dan! Your wife is such a talent, so it’s so nice to see what a great team you make. Looking forward to seeing your concoctions each month.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — August 6, 2012 @ 9:50 am

ha! i just said “Lt. Dan” in my forrest gump voice – great movie! i can’t wait to see what else you shake up :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 6, 2012 @ 9:50 am

This looks so refreshing, I love the watermelon and basil combo!

najwa kronfel — August 6, 2012 @ 10:38 am

Nice and refreshing! I love the combination!

Russell at Chasing Delicious — August 6, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Yum! These cocktails look great – perfect for summertime!

Cassie — August 6, 2012 @ 11:28 am

OH my gosh, you are so cute. My husband’s favorite movie (ever) is Forrest Gump. This post made me smile, and so does this cocktail!

Aggie — August 6, 2012 @ 11:57 am

I want to hang out with your family!! Lovin this cocktail! :)

(we are a unit of food and drink lovers as well ;) )

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 6, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I love the name Lieutenant Dan! Now where do I find one? My Husband needs to hang out with the Lt. so he can learn to make pasta and do dishes! lol Your cocktail looks so refreshing and so delish! I can totally see floating in a pool with one of these drinks in my hand.

leslie — August 6, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

So very nice to meet you Lieutenant Dan!!!! You make one mean drink!

JulieD — August 6, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

Love that, Sommer! Looks so darn refreshing!!

Jen @ Savory SImple — August 6, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

This drink looks right up my alley! I think I actually have everything here to make it!

valerie sutton — August 6, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

I just made this w/ stoli…..delicious:)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — August 6, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

Hi Dan, this sounds like my kind of cocktail, looking forward to seeing more!

Kel — August 6, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Lt. Dan HAS to be from Forrest Gump!

Thanks for the recipe!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — August 6, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

Oh…so refreshing! Lovely clicks :)

Hugs <3

Toni @ Boulder Locavore — August 6, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

Scrolling down I caught the Forrest Gump association; what a flash back! I feel convinced THAT Lt. Dan was not sporting mixology magic like this! Fabulous cocktail. Perfect for summer and unpredictable. Thank you!

Debbie Flores — August 6, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

This looks amazing and sooooooo refreshing! Absolutely love the photos and fun to hear from the hubby! Pinning it now!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 6, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

I definitely need a glass of this tonight!

Martini Vodka drink Recipes — August 7, 2012 @ 12:15 am

That sounds wonderful! But if it is too sweet, why not use Selzer instead of 7UP?

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 7, 2012 @ 8:05 am

very fun post! This looks so good!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — August 7, 2012 @ 9:36 am

Lt. Dan knows how to make a mean cocktail, that is for sure. and he does the dishes? and he uses my favorite gin? wth? :) Love this.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 7, 2012 @ 10:12 am

I have yet to make my own watermelon cocktail – this looks perfect, as I’ve recently become a fan of gin. I’m loving this drink series – thank you Sommer and Lt. Dan!!

DessertForTwo — August 7, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

This looks fabulous, Lt Dan! Welcome to blogging :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — August 7, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Cute post!! So nice to meet you, Lt. Dan :)

Paula - bell'alimento — August 7, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

I have a watermelon in the garage fridge right now. Part of it will be reserved for making these xoxo

carolinaheartstrings — August 7, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

That looks so wonderful. Perfect for a hot summer night!

Lisa | With Style and Grace — August 7, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

I absolutely love that your husband is guest posting! Mine did for a while and got so into it, it was so fun. These cocktails sound delicious and would totally guzzle it down [minus the gin] right now!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — August 7, 2012 @ 11:39 pm

Looks so refreshing! Today would have been perfect weather for this, but there’s always tomorrow ;)

Kristen — August 8, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

I am dying over these pictures – so good! And I love a good cocktail… can’t wait to see what Lt Dan continues to bring to the table, so to speak!

Sandra's Easy Cooking — August 10, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Wonderful post and how sweet of you to let your hubby post. Drink look very refreshing, thank you for sharing and also for linking my frap too!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Lauren of Spanish Sabores — August 11, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

This looks so delicious. I’ve been making cocktails featuring rum all afternoon, but seeing this makes me want to go out and buy some gin. Here in Spain the watermelons are so sweet and delicious I know this would come out great!

Marly — August 14, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Nice to meet you mr. Lt. Dan. I love the idea of the monthly cocktail and you’ve started it out on a great note. Now I need a reason to give this one a try. Or do I???

Star — July 5, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

Reading this made me think you were creating a bio of my husband and myself. Our friends and family think it’s odd that we take vacations to seek out a particilar cuisine or chef we’ve read about! My husband is more the calories from beverages kinda guy as well.
    So glad I saw this pinned! Kep on cookin and shakin!

1. Pingback: 20 Recipes: Eat Watermelon All Day Long |