Grilled Pork Chops with Carolina BBQ Sauce

What could be more southern than Grilled BBQ Pork Chops smothered in a bold Carolina BBQ Sauce? This mustard BBQ sauce is rich and tangy with a kick at the end. Great for brushing over pork, ribs, chicken and fish!

My BBQ lineage is a little shaky. You see, I grew up in Oklahoma, which is wedged between Texas dry-rub brisket country and Kansas City sweet and spicy rib country.  Not to mention I now live in North Carolina, where BBQ means pulled pork and tomato-free sauce.

Carolina BBQ sauce is something I had never experienced before I moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains. I had never seen BBQ sauce that wasn’t a shade of red.

Pin It

Now I live in a land with two distinct varieties of sauce. Cider BBQ Sauce (North Carolina) is thin, spicy and super tangy, and Mustard BBQ Sauce (South Carolina) is rich, zesty and… well, mustardy.

It took me a few years to acknowledge these two as real BBQ sauce, but now that I’ve accepted them, I’ve grown to love them.

There are many variations of Carolina BBQ Sauce. My version is a quick dump-and-stir variety, great for using on the fly. It’s spicy and tangy with a bit of depth and sweetness from molasses.

The sauce is wonderful on all sorts of dishes, but I love it best on pork.

These easy BBQ Pork Chops are the perfect way to showcase Carolina BBQ Sauce. I brushed the pork chops with the mustard BBQ sauce before grilling. Then pour an ample dose of sauce over the top when serving the BBQ pork chops.

We just couldn’t get enough of them!

I served the BBQ Pork Chops with Bush’s Southern Pit Barbecue Grillin’ Beans. The combination of the zippy Mustard BBQ Sauce with the rich sweetness of the Grillin’ Beans sauce was a winner on many levels.

I’ve been impressed with every Bush’s Grillin’ Beans flavor I’ve tried, but the South Pit Barbecue might just be my favorite.

Bush’s Grillin’ Beans make a great go-to side dish for all your favorite grilled dishes. Make sure to check out all seven Bush’s Grillin’ Beans flavors here!

Yield: 4

BBQ Pork Chops with Carolina BBQ Sauce

Grilled Pork Chops brushed with a zesty Mustard BBQ Sauce.

For the Carolina BBQ Sauce:
3/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 Tb. brown sugar
1 Tb. molasses
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper

For the BBQ Pork Chops:
4 Bone-In Pork Chops
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the grill to high heat.

Pour all the ingredients for the Mustard BBQ sauce into a bowl and whisk together.

Separate 1/3 cup of Carolina BBQ sauce out of the bowl. Brush in over the pork chops on both sides. Salt and pepper liberally.

Grill the chops for 3-4 minutes per side. 3 minutes for a slightly pink center. Wrap the chops in foil and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Serve the BBQ Pork Chops warm with extra mustard BBQ sauce and Bush's Southern Pit Barbecue Grillin' Beans!

More Quick Grill Recipes:

Hanger Steak with Cilantro Mint Chimichurri

Kung Pao Chicken Skewers

Shrimp Tacos with Grilled Corn and Grapes

Island Burgers ~ Does Not Cook Well With Others

Honey Lemon Rosemary Chicken ~ Two Peas and Their Pod

Grilled Greek Lamb Chops with Cucumber Salad ~ Cookin’ Canuck

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans. All bean-loving opinions are my own.

32 Responses to “Grilled Pork Chops with Carolina BBQ Sauce”

Toni @ Boulder Locavore — August 2, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Sommer my mouth was watering at the first photo. Love the ingredients of the sauce. I think people who no NOT live in BBQ regions of the country don’t realize that the sauces and method of dressing the meat varies incredibly as a regional signature. Love knowing more about it. Also love arugula. This is a perfect meal to me. May be making an appearance at my dinner table soon; thank you!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 2, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

Love the smell of bbq sauce at a summer cookout. Shame there are so few things cooked that are vegetarian that include it. I might need to change that.

Heather — August 2, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

I looooooove mustard based BBQ sauces…this sounds like dinner to me!

carrian — August 2, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

Yup, saving this one. Hello pinterest! My South Carolina Hubby will love it!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 2, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

I’ve never tried Carolina BBQ sauce but it sounds like something I’d love – I can never get enough spicy mustard!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — August 3, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Ohhhhh you did it! I was wondering when I was going to see some Carolina bbq! I love bbq sauce and the vinagary kind is delicious. I’m going to be in NC in September and can’t wait! Until then, I’ll have to make big batches of your bbq sauce recipe….and the pork chops look GREAT!

Maria — August 3, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Great grilling recipe for summer!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 3, 2012 @ 7:44 am

I love bbq food, especially in the summer!

Monet — August 3, 2012 @ 7:53 am

BBQ porkchops just sound like summer to me. And this recipe looks simple and delicious (my favorite!) Thank you so much for sharing with me!

Jen @ Savory SImple — August 3, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Mr. SS keeps saying he really wants some Carolina BBQ. He will love this!

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 3, 2012 @ 8:25 am

I had no idea BBQ sauce had so many personalities! Yours looks amazing – nothing better than something to change up the grilling routine!

Paula - bell'alimento — August 3, 2012 @ 9:04 am

Beans and BBQ sign me up!

bake your day — August 3, 2012 @ 9:54 am

I’m a Kansas Citian so KC style is usually where I turn but I could be on board with this one. Looks wonderful Sommer!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — August 3, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

I love Carolina BBQ Sauce! This sounds so good! Love those beans too!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 3, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

The BBQ sauce looks amazing! I love the photos! What a great recipe!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 3, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

Dude, that sauce is absolutely heavenly! Definitely bookmarking this for a nice dinner for me and Jason this weekend! :)

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 3, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

Loving that barbecue sauce, drooling just thinking about it.

Jeanette — August 3, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

So interesting that BBQ Sauce can be so different from one region to the next. I grew up with the tomato based BBQ Sauce, so I’m looking forward to trying your Carolina version.

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — August 3, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

Gorgeous looking manly meal :) I love the mustard based sauces…
    Take care,,

Rina@Itheecook — August 4, 2012 @ 6:16 am

I love this. There is nothing better than grilled pork with baked beans!

Chris — August 5, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

This looks fantastic, I love thick grilled chops like these. Nice job, Sommer!

I like Piedmont style NC the best, then Eastern NC sauce, and then mustard sauce but I love them all. It just depends on my mood. I like the unique flavor that the mustard sauce brings to pulled pork.

Great post!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 5, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

wow looks great! We have pork chops on our list this week so thanks!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — August 6, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Don’t think I’ve ever tried a mustard BBQ sauce, but it sounds fantastic!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 7, 2012 @ 10:15 am

I LOVE tangy mustardy bbq sauces – this looks fabulous!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — August 7, 2012 @ 11:26 am

My mouth is actually watering.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — August 14, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Wow this looks so good! Great photos too! PINNED

recurve bows — October 8, 2013 @ 6:05 am

It’s hard to find well-informed people about this topic, but you seem like you know
    what you’re talking about! Thanks

ge spacesaver microwave — October 8, 2013 @ 6:11 am

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your site provided us with valuable information to work on.

You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

Dwight — October 11, 2013 @ 2:40 am

Hello! Sojeone in my Myspace gdoup shared this site with
    us soo I came too take a look. I’m definitely enjoying the
    information. I’m bookmarking and will bee tweeting this to my followers!
    Superb blog and amazing design and style.

kitchenaid artisan stand mixer — October 12, 2013 @ 1:41 am

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long hav you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. Thhe overall look
    of your web site is magnificent, as well as the content!

1. Pingback: BBQ Pork Chops with Carolina BBQ Sauce — A Spicy Perspective | Mr. Barbeque

2. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday ~ 8/13 – 8/17