Need a quick and fresh appetizer for this weekend? Why not put your antipasto platter on a stick! This Antipasto Skewers recipe, bathed in herb vinaigrette, is great for cocktail parties and weekend barbecues because they are so easy to handle.
My little girl has been known to start planning our annual Halloween party and birthday parties months in advance. When the rest of us sit down to discuss the plans, she informs us that the food, guest list and activities are already determined. Although I love her help, when I plan a gathering, the menu is always in the forefront of my mind.
This is what I’m looking for in a Party Menu:
- Visual appeal
- Foods that can sit out and taste good at room temperature
- Make-aheads to spread out the work load
- Easy to prepare, but make an impact on the guests
- FRESH SEASONAL INGREDIENTS
Today’s dish is an appetizer that covers all my party menu requirements: Visually appealing, can be made ahead easily and includes FRESH tomatoes and basil straight from my garden! I simply put my antipasto platter on small wooden skewers to make them easy to carry, then dressed them with a zesty herb vinaigrette for easy-peasy antipasto skewers.
The beauty of this antipasto skewers recipe is that you can put all your favorites from an antipasto platter right on the little sticks and pop them in the fridge a couple days in advance. Although I like to be able to make some dishes ahead, it’s extremely important to me to offer fresh ingredients to my guests.
For the last couple of years I have been growing veggies in/amongst my flower beds. I figured, even if I kill them all, my flowers would cover the evidence. Fortunately, I have had some success with tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, and all sorts of herbs.
The produce I can’t grown on my own, I pick up at our local farmers’ market on Saturday mornings. It’s very satisfying to get to know the people who grow your food and learn what measures they take to grow the best fruits and vegetables possible.
Storing your fresh ingredients properly is also very important. I happen to have GE appliances in my kitchen and have noticed that my refrigerator keeps my produce fresh and crisp for a long time–much longer than my old fridge.
Antipasto Skewers with Herb Vinaigrette
Yield: 45 skewers
Prep Time:20 minutes
For the Herb Vinaigrette:
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Antipasto Skewers:
- 8 ounce container small fresh mozzarella balls
- 8 ounces hard salami, up into bite-size chunks
- 1 can small artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted olives, any variety
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 package 4-6 inch skewers
- In a small bowl, whisk to together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Slide 3 or 4 antipasto platter items on each skewer. They don't all have to be the same.
- If making a day or two ahead, leave the basil leaves off and pour the vinaigrette over the skewers to marinate.
- If making the day of the party, place the basil leaves on the skewers. And serve the vinaigrette on the side.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!