Vegan chili: It’s vegetable chili that is meat free… but it’s GOOD! This bright and zesty garden chili is loaded with fresh garden goodies and lots of spice! You won’t even miss the meat.
Did I ever tell you I was a vegan for a week? Actually is was closer to three weeks, but then I gave it up for bacon.
A close friend came to stay with us, and her family is vegan. I have to admit, as much as I love to cook I was a little nervous to cut out all butter and dairy, eggs and meat. I get really fussy over “substitute foods” like soysage and tofurkey and wasn’t willing to go there. Yet we made it through the visit and tried some new recipes without any major hiccups.
After my friends left, it dawned on me that veganism is the one thing I had yet to try… challenge accepted.
For close to three weeks I survived on beans, quinoa, other grains, fruit and loads of vegetables.
Eating a clean plant-based diet felt really healthy. Although we chose not to continue it long term, I’m glad I was a vegan for a little while. It inspired me to find new ways to prepare my veggies, and to add more vegetables to dishes I already make!
Take chili for instance. Remove the meat and you have beans and vegetables. So for this Vegan Chili, I simply added more vegetables, making a hearty vegetable chili with sweet potatoes, red peppers and fresh corn.
This Vegan Chili is perfect for summer because you can use all garden spoils.
Vegan Chili is great served on it’s own, over baked potatoes, or as a dip with tortilla chips. It’s not only vegan; it’s also gluten free!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Vegetable Chili with Sweet Potatoes, Red Peppers and Fresh Corn
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 ears corn, shucked and cut off the cob
- 2 tablespoons Masa
- 2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 2 - 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add the oil to a large pot and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the red peppers, sweet potatoes corn and masa. Stir and saute another 8-10 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients (save the cilantro) and stir well.
- Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve warm.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
46 Responses to “Vegan Chili”
Pingback: Vegan News @ KitaVeg.com » Vegan Chili — A Spicy Perspective
Pingback: Recipies | Pearltrees
Pingback: Garden Chili | Food Ramblings