Mango Lassi Popsicles

Homemade Popsicles from Mango Lassi ~ ASpicyPerspective.com

What could be more satisfying than a Mango Lassi? How about homemade popsicles made with an ultra creamy mango lassi recipe. These little frozen lassis are just right for beating the summer heat!

On a sweltering summer evening in Hyderabad, India I walked out of a school compound and into a rickshaw. With my limited knowledge of Hindi, I asked the driver to take a friend and I to a nearby restaurant.

As we swerved in and out of buses–passing bikers, stray cows, and street venders–I tried to savor the moment of nightlife in India.

Mango Lassi Popsicles ~ ASpiyPerspective.com

The air was thick and sultry.  The buildings on either side of the road were strung with colorful paper garland, tinsel, and lights. I could hear the frantic sound of high pitched crooning over furious drum beats, drowning out the sounds of laughter and arguing in the the distance. I breathed in rich spices in the steamy air, wafting from a nearby market.

This was a beautiful moment.

I don’t remember what I ordered for dinner that night, but I remember the ride. I also remember the warm buttered naan, and that the Mango Lassi was exceptional.

Homemade Popsicles with Mango Lassi Recipe  ~ ASpicyPerspective.com

If you ask my children what my favorite fruit is, they will tell you with resounding force that “Mommy loves mangoes.”

The creamy-smooth texture and the buttery-tart flavor sends me into a euphoric state.

Therefore there could be no better treat in my mind, than one that involves sweet ripe mangoes and the flavors of India that I’ve grown to love.

Mango Lassi Pops with Pistachios  ~ ASpicyPerspective.com

A Mango Lassi is just that: mangoes, yogurt, sugar, and a touch of spice. Most mango lassi recipes include a little ginger, cardamom or clove.

These homemade popsicles are the the essence of a mango lassi… on a stick!

When creating homemade popsicles, it’s essential to intensify the flavor, because the cold temperature desensitizes our taste buds. This mango lassi recipe is powerful. It’s extremely sweet, creamy and loaded with mangoes, so that the mango lassi flavor shines through when frozen. I covered the bottoms with chopped pistachios for a little salty contrast.

Mango Lassi Recipe for Popsicles  ~ ASpicyPerspective.com

I’m quite pleased with my Mango Lassi Homemade Popsicles. If I close my eyes, they take me straight back to India.

Yield: 12

Prep Time: 5 minutes active time

Mango Lassi Popsicles

Homemade Popsicles from a rich and sweet Mango Lassi Recipe.

1 1/3 cup THICK Greek Yogurt
11.3 oz. can Mango Nectar Concentrate
1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1 Tb. crystallized ginger, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pistachios

Pour the all ingredients, minus the pistachios, into a blender. Cover and blend until mostly smooth.

Pour into 12 - 3 oz. popsicle molds, or small paper cups.

Freeze for one hour. Then push a popsicle stick into the center of each pop, sprinkle with pistachios, and press gently.

Place back in the freezer until solid.

To loosen, place the mold up-side-down under warm running tap water.

More Flavors of India:

Berry Blast Nimbu Pani

How to Make Garam Masala

Malabar Chicken Curry

Butter Chicken ~ Closet Cooking

Chapatis ~ Savvy Vegetarian

Hyderabad Biryani ~ Collaborative Curry

47 Responses to “Mango Lassi Popsicles”

Heather — July 30, 2012 @ 1:27 am

I have no words…these literally look like my favorite Popsicles ever!

Prachi — July 30, 2012 @ 2:02 am

I love it,really this mango lassi are so gud,thank you for a recipe i can’t wait for try this………..

thanks again,
    ———————–
    Ice Cream Display

Belinda @zomppa — July 30, 2012 @ 5:44 am

You just upped popsicles! I hear you – when it’s that hot (especially in India), mangoes are pretty much the most heavenly thing ever.

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 30, 2012 @ 6:25 am

How great are these? Those pistachios on the bottom make them perfect :)

marla — July 30, 2012 @ 7:39 am

I am a little bit craze in love with these popsicles ~ fun with the chopped pistachios too!

Cécy — July 30, 2012 @ 8:18 am

This is convincing me that I really need to get some Popsicle molds. I love mango, love mango lassi and love popsicles.
    PS: ground cardamom or whole?

• Sommer — July 30th, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Ground. Thanks Cecy, I’ll clarify that. :)

bake your day — July 30, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I LOVE that you turned these into popsicles, so brilliant. And that added cardamom sounds like such a brilliant addition!

Carolyn — July 30, 2012 @ 8:28 am

Love. That’s all I need to say!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 30, 2012 @ 10:15 am

I love this in the form of popsicles! Jason and I just finished our last batch of popsicles and we were both brainstorming on what to make next and I think I’ve found the perfect recipe. Thanks for sharing!

The Steaming Pot — July 30, 2012 @ 10:52 am

These look divine! I love the idea of pressing pistachios to the base. I’m going to try adding some finely chopped pistachios into the pop mixture too for a bit of crunch.

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — July 30, 2012 @ 11:22 am

These look and sound heavenly!! Yummo!

• Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — July 30th, 2012 @ 11:22 am

btw- love that popsicle mold, where did you get that??

• Sommer — July 30th, 2012 @ 11:31 am

This particular mold came from World Market and it has lid/handles, but I like wooden sticks. :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 30, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

My favorite part is definitely the chopped pistachios. They give such a fun touch!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 30, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

I love it!! It looks wonderful and I love the addition of the pistachios!

Leslie — July 30, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! I love Mango Lassi..and would have never thought to do this..Thank you very much

JulieD — July 30, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

Love this!! I love mango anything…now I’m going to be dreaming of these popsicles!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 30, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

I love mango! These popsicles are calling my name!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 30, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

These look so delicious! I’m definitely up for a popsicle party with you :).

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 30, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

Ohhhhh girl! Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits and I LOVE them with yogurt! Your popsicles are creative and hit the spot on a warm day. I love how guilt-free they are too! And the pistachios… ::sigh:: brilliant :)

Russell at Chasing Delicious — July 30, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

I love the look of the bottom of these popsicles! I know it’s kind of a random thing to lust over in a recipe but it’s true. Yum!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — July 30, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Sommer! Those popsicles look very refreshing and love the popsicle mold! So cute :)

Hugs <3

Abby — July 30, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

Gorgeous popsicles!! I love the spices too, it’s like warm and cooling all at the same time.

Diane, A Broad — July 30, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

I am so craving this right now. And they look so pretty with the colorful pistachios on the bottom!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 30, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

These popsicles look amazing! So perfect for a hot summer day…yum!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — July 30, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

Wow these look amazing, what an experience!

Priya Sreeram — July 31, 2012 @ 1:18 am

really beautiful- fun way to lop up those succulent mangoes

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 31, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

oh wow! so creative! Bookmarked girl!

Mary @ mary mary quite contrary — July 31, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

I have tried over the years to eat yogurt, but alas, it’s not for me. I swoon at the amazing variety of flavours my family enjoy and just wish my taste-buds would change !! These creamy delights just might be my answer ! I love mangoes, and all Indian food [I do manage to put some yogurt in my curry]. Thank you for this mouthwatering recipe….I may get to enjoy the benefits of yogurt after all !

Paula - bell'alimento — August 1, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

Sommer those look seriously refreshing!

Aggie — August 1, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

Oh Sommer I so wish I had one of these for dessert tonight! Looks so refreshing!!!

Javelin Warrior — August 2, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

These popsicles sound so refreshing and I’m so intrigued by the combination of flavors! I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I love the inspiration I get from your food…

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 7, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Mangoes remind me of my mom – she’s crazy for them. Your popsicles are so pretty – I love the pistachios, so perfect and pretty!

Eleyn @Sweetsandlife — August 7, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

I love mango lassi! I seriously can’t wait to try these out! :D

Marly — August 14, 2012 @ 10:06 am

These almost look to pretty to eat. Emphasis on the word “almost.” I’m sure I could find a way. Yumm!

Allison (Spontaneous Tomato) — August 15, 2012 @ 11:38 am

These look gorgeous– not to mention delicious! I recently posted a recipe for “Mango Lassi Muffins” (and also added greek yogurt and a sprinkling of pistachios : ), but these take the cake! (…or rather, the popsicle!)

Globalstreetbite — February 6, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

I have just stumbled upon your blog and LOVE IT!
    These popsicles look right up my street – I love lassis and I love anything that takes me back to India. Thank you!

Jill — June 24, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

I just made these today. How long does it take to be frozen enough that they will come cleanly out of the mold?

1. Pingback: VEGGIESICLES: Vegetarian Meal Plan August 2012 Week 2 | veggieconverter.com

2. Pingback: VEGGIESICLES: August Vegetarian Meal Plan | veggieconverter.com

3. Pingback: Vegetarian October 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

4. Pingback: Mango Lassi Popsicles - Popsicle RecipesPopsicle Recipes

5. Pingback: Mango Ginger Popsicles - Good Dinner Mom

6. Pingback: Cool off with Some Homemade Popsicles – the nook at jensan

7. Pingback: Good Dinner Mom | Mango Lassi Popsicles - Good Dinner Mom

8. Pingback: Yum, We Love . . .