The Epic Brownie

The Epic Brownie

Homemade brownies. The best brownie recipe. Fudge brownie recipe.Caramel brownies. Salted caramel brownies. Whatever you decide to call them, these brownies are epic.

Only certain things in life deserve the term epic.

They must be earth-shattering, or at the very least, haunting and poetic. The parting of the Red Sea, the battle at Normandy, “Odyssey” written by Homer… these homemade brownies.

Salted Caramel Brownies

A discretely-caramel brownie that is timeless, unforgettable, an immediate classic.

When you take your first bite, you will hear Celine Dion bellowing “My Heart Will Go On” and a bare-chested Gerard Butler will burst out of a cloud of murky haze, sword in tow.

I swear.

Best Brownie Recipe

Like a dark alluring story with a bitter-sweet ending, these homemade brownies will draw you in and captivate your attention.

This is the most dense, fudgy, chocolatey, silky, melt-in-your-mouth, rich, buttery, desperately-need-a-glass-of-milk fudge brownie recipe you’ve ever tasted. And certainly not cakey.

Fudge Brownie Recipe

So good I had to make you a diagram.

You can actually see the fudginess. (Yes, I’m positive that’s a word.)

One more thing, the underlying flavor of dulce de leche, is not for show, or to seem “salted caramel brownie” trendy. This caramel is subtlety working its magic in the dark shadows. Deepening the flavor, providing extra moisture.

Caramel Brownies

This is the best brownie recipe I’ve ever made. And I would never lie about brownies.

Homemade Brownie RecipeElegant bakeware from Villeroy & Boch.

This fudge brownie recipe will give your regular brownie recipe a complex. Count on it.

Yield: 24 brownies

Homemade Brownies

1 lb. dark chocolate, chopped
3 sticks unsalted butter
13 oz. can dulce de leche
1 cup sugar
1 Tb. vanilla
6 eggs
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tb. instant coffee granules
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (or could be toffee bits, crushed oreos, mint chips etc.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.

Melt the butter, 1 lb. of chocolate and dulce de leche together in the microwave or oven a double-boiler. If melting in the microwave, heat for 60 seconds, then stir. Repeat in 30 second increments, if needed. Allow to cool a little.

Mix flour, cocoa, salt, and coffee granules together in a separate bowl.

Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Then slowly incorporate the dry mixture ad whisk until just combined.

Finally add the chocolate chips and chopped nuts, stir well.

Pour the caramel brownie batter into the dish and bake for 35-45 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE. Check at 35 minutes with a toothpick. The moment the toothpick comes out mostly clean, remove from the oven. The brownies continue to cook a little as they're cooling, but you don’t want them to be overcooked.

Allow the brownies to cool completely. Cut into 12 large, 18 medium, or 24 small squares. Clean the knife with a paper towel in between cuts to insure the edges are as smooth as possible.

Carefully remove the homemade brownies with a spatula.

Struggle with baking? Read this article on Common Baking Issues!

CHOCOLATE:

Ancient Pleasure Brownies

Velvet Brownie Swirl Cake

Chocolate Espresso Pots de Creme

Dark Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake ~ Passionate About Baking

Peanut Butter Fudge Coffee Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ How Sweet Eats

Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies ~ Tartlette

75 Responses to “The Epic Brownie”

Mary — August 7, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Wow, Sommer!

These brownies certainly do look epic! I can’t wait to try them!

Mary
    On Behalf of Chinet

Dana Joy — August 14, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

Lol…I love your description of these brownies. So glad I found your blog on Pinterest.

Amy Bennett — September 7, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Well it’s been nearly 8 weeks since I saved this recipe and have now decided to try it! I have had no luck tracking down a can of Dulce de Leche (this stuff must be made of gold and top secret where I live, haha) I debated doing the crockpot (sweetened condensed ) caramel, however, the pictures I have seen of it look a little unpleasany…I guess my question to you is, woluld a homemad caramel sauce work just fine? One with corn syrup, brown sugar, heavy cream? I found a recipe for it and wasn’t sure if it would be okay to use in this recipe. ( would it change the overall outcome of the recipe?)I am dying to try these! :) Hope to hear from you~Thanks!

• Amy Bennett — September 7th, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

*unpleasant

• Sommer — September 18th, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Hi Amy, The caramel sauce would work for flavor, but it might change the texture of the brownies. You can buy Dulce de Leche at Walmart, if you can’t find it anywhere else. :)

• Sharon Doty — August 19th, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

I was going to ask the same question. I live in Asheville and wondered where to find Dulce de leche.

Canette — September 21, 2012 @ 12:25 am

I really wanna make it. Can I skip dulche the leche to gain a classic brownie ?

Ashley — October 21, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

I was also curious if you removed the dulche de leche and the nuts if I could use it as a basic brownie recipe or if it would alter the texture/consistency of it? :)

Sheila — December 13, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Sommer, I’m looking for a brownie recipe with some heat in it, for a Mexican themed party I’m having, I googled spicy brownie and yours came up. HA! It’s not spicy but looks amazing…may have to try. And with the dulce de leche it would qualify for my theme ;)

Shauna — February 25, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I have to say sorry but I didn’t care for these. I made them exactly as ur recipe stated. They had an odd taste and the salt didnt even help bring out the sweet taste and were to dark not sweet enuf even with the dulce de leche. I’m only commenting because these were pricey to make. If u like dark chocolate and not very sweet things u will prob like them. I added a Carmel marshmallow layer and a toffee frosting to help counter balance the dark to sweet ratio and that helped. Sorry

Carolyn Blount Brodersen — April 30, 2013 @ 10:22 am

Looks fabulish! Definitely adding this one to my must-bake list. Thanks for sharing! One typo–so easy to do–discreetly instead of discretely.

Tasha @ ThatsSoYummy — April 30, 2013 @ 10:23 am

I love a good EPIC brownie… thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Villeroy & Boch Recipes from the Isabelle von Boch blog — Villeroy & Boch Blog

2. Pingback: Triple Chocolate Oreo Brownies « Cooking College Chick