The Epic Brownie

The Epic Brownie

Homemade brownies. The best brownie recipe. Fudge brownie recipe.Caramel brownies. Salted caramel brownies. Whatever you decide to call them, these brownies are epic.

Only certain things in life deserve the term epic.

They must be earth-shattering, or at the very least, haunting and poetic. The parting of the Red Sea, the battle at Normandy, “Odyssey” written by Homer… these homemade brownies.

Salted Caramel Brownies

A discretely-caramel brownie that is timeless, unforgettable, an immediate classic.

I swear.

Best Brownie Recipe

Like a dark alluring story with a bitter-sweet ending, these homemade brownies will draw you in and captivate your attention.

This is the most dense, fudgy, chocolatey, silky, melt-in-your-mouth, rich, buttery, desperately-need-a-glass-of-milk fudge brownie recipe you’ve ever tasted. And certainly not cakey.

Fudge Brownie Recipe

So good I had to make you a diagram.

You can actually see the fudginess. (Yes, I’m positive that’s a word.)

One more thing, the underlying flavor of dulce de leche, is not for show, or to seem “salted caramel brownie” trendy. This caramel is subtlety working its magic in the dark shadows. Deepening the flavor, providing extra moisture.

Caramel Brownies

This is the best brownie recipe I’ve ever made. And I would never lie about brownies.

Homemade Brownie RecipeElegant bakeware from Villeroy & Boch.

This fudge brownie recipe will give your regular brownie recipe a complex. Count on it.

Yield: 24 brownies

Homemade Brownies

1 lb. dark chocolate, chopped
3 sticks unsalted butter
13 oz. can dulce de leche
1 cup sugar
1 Tb. vanilla
6 eggs
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tb. instant coffee granules
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (or could be toffee bits, crushed oreos, mint chips etc.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.

Melt the butter, 1 lb. of chocolate and dulce de leche together in the microwave or oven a double-boiler. If melting in the microwave, heat for 60 seconds, then stir. Repeat in 30 second increments, if needed. Allow to cool a little.

Mix flour, cocoa, salt, and coffee granules together in a separate bowl.

Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Then slowly incorporate the dry mixture ad whisk until just combined.

Finally add the chocolate chips and chopped nuts, stir well.

Pour the caramel brownie batter into the dish and bake for 35-45 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE. Check at 35 minutes with a toothpick. The moment the toothpick comes out mostly clean, remove from the oven. The brownies continue to cook a little as they're cooling, but you don’t want them to be overcooked.

Allow the brownies to cool completely. Cut into 12 large, 18 medium, or 24 small squares. Clean the knife with a paper towel in between cuts to insure the edges are as smooth as possible.

Carefully remove the homemade brownies with a spatula.

Struggle with baking? Read this article on Common Baking Issues!

CHOCOLATE:

Ancient Pleasure Brownies

Velvet Brownie Swirl Cake

Chocolate Espresso Pots de Creme

Dark Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake ~ Passionate About Baking

Peanut Butter Fudge Coffee Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ How Sweet Eats

Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies ~ Tartlette

76 Responses to “The Epic Brownie”

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 9, 2012 @ 6:34 am

These DEFINITELY look epic. Yum!!! :)

Katarina — July 9, 2012 @ 6:35 am

Oh my! I will save this recipe! Sounds delicious :)

Belinda @zomppa — July 9, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Earth shattering just about covers it….yup…dang.

Jill — July 9, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Wow. They certainly look epic. And delicious!

katie — July 9, 2012 @ 7:55 am

ummm these look and sound amazing!

Steve O — July 9, 2012 @ 8:07 am

You had me… Right up to the Celine Dion part

But will give ‘em a try, anyway. :^)

marla — July 9, 2012 @ 8:52 am

I’m sold. These brownies do indeed look EPIC.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 9, 2012 @ 9:08 am

omg. I want one of these with a glass of milk! I must make this!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — July 9, 2012 @ 9:16 am

Those are epic for sure. I love a crispy top and fudgey center! Get in my belly!!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — July 9, 2012 @ 9:51 am

Salted caramel brownies are one of my (many) weaknesses. How incredible these look!!!!

Helene — July 9, 2012 @ 10:05 am

Oh my that looks insane. I’ve never had a salted caramel brownie before.

bake your day — July 9, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Thick, fudgy, crispy definitely equals the best brownie ever. These look amazing Sommer!

Carolyn — July 9, 2012 @ 10:10 am

They certainly do look epic! WOW!

amy @ uTryIt — July 9, 2012 @ 10:20 am

This looks and sounds totally perfect. Can’t wait to give this a try. :)

May I Have That Recipe — July 9, 2012 @ 11:21 am

I have been looking for a good, fudgy, chocolaty brownie recipe for a while and these look amazing!!

Shaina — July 9, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Salted caramel brownie perfection. I love how thick and fudgy they look.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 9, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

i really can’t imagine a brownie looking more epic than that first photo – i mean really, it needs its own soundtrack!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — July 9, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Looks epic to me! YUM

shay — July 9, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

can you do this with milk chocolate I dont like dark chocolate?

• Sommer — July 9th, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Of course!

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — July 9, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Wow, these brownies look incredibly thick, moist and delicious!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — July 9, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Brownies are my biggest vice in the universe. I have a serious brownie problem. Once you press “go” on the brownie, there’s just no stopping me until sugar coma is achieved. Your brownies look so fabulous…they have all the qualities I want in a brownie. They’re epic. I need to bake them!

Amy Bennett — July 9, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

These look scrumptious! Just curious, the Dulce De Leche is just sweetened condensed milk right? or can you actually by the caramel in a can? I know you can simmer condensed milk in a stockpot for hours to turn it into caramel, but you don’t do that for this recipe right? Sorry, was just looking for clarification on that :) Going to try these soon! Love your recipes, thanks!

• Sommer — July 9th, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Hey Amy,

You can buy the dulce de leche in the can already caramelized. It’s usually in the baking aisle or in the ethnic food section. It’s a little more expensive than sweetened condensed milk, but saves loads of time. :)

• Amy Bennett — July 9th, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

thank you! will check it out tomorrow, need to try this recipe ASAP ;)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 9, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

Dulce de Leche brownies are one of my faves! Love how fudgy these are!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 9, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

Sooooooooo in.

Paula - bell'alimento — July 9, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

Sommer I would drive to Asheville for a few of those ; ) Swoon

Nisha — July 9, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Seeing the photographs and reading your acclaims, I’m sold!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 9, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Oh my goodness you had me at dulce de leche!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 9, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

I absolutely love a good brownie. Your recipe sounds awesome!

Terese — July 9, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

These look amazing, Sommer!! Like all you do!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — July 9, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

The word epic is so often overused. It should indeed be reserved for truly outstanding goodness. Even the picture of these brownies look epic!

Asma — July 10, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I’m so glad I found your blog. Of course any link that has a picture of a brownie that epic I will follow. This is my first time here, and I love your style. Your writing is very funny, and very convincing. I’m headed for the kitchen now.

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — July 10, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

These are incredible! I am seriously drooling at this brownie perfection in front of me! Fabulous, fabulous recipe!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — July 10, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I am SO with you on this…. amazing.

Rachel @ Twin Tough — July 10, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Sommer, these look amazing!! I love the idea of adding the dulce de leche! Will have to make these ASAP!!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — July 10, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Oh, I’m absolutely drooling! Yes, brownie and dulce de leche…count me in :)

Hugs <3

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 10, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

Omgosh these look amazingggg.

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 11, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Well I guess I’ll have to make these!!

High Plains Drifters — July 11, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Ya know, I gave this a once over, thought it looked promising, and bookmarked it. Going to make it tommoroe, was double checking the ingredients … and realized, dang, this looks imminently do-able. No tricks. Straight forward.

Will let you know how it turns out. But still … Celine dion?????

High Plains Drifters — July 11, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

I will say .. my favorite brownie recipe has rum in the batter and jack Daniels on top. So we’ll see how they stack up.

• Sommer — July 11th, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Well this is meant to be a classic brownie and I think the texture and flavor make it pretty special. But I’d love to try your boozy brownie!

Joy — July 11, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

The brownies look so delish.

Canette — July 12, 2012 @ 5:43 am

I want to eat them right now! Looks so perfect :)

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — July 12, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

I think I may have to have these really, really soon. Oh my heavens.

Kathy - Panini Happy — July 13, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

Ok, you’ve convinced me! Holy cow, those look amazing. Dulce de leche and coffee in the batter? Yep, that sounds pretty epic – so making these ASAP! :-)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — July 18, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Oh. My. Goodness! This is the brownie of all brownies. Looks absolutely amazing!

Samantha — July 18, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

ummm this looks incredible. I kind of want to lick my computer screen. I need some sort of social excuse to make these so I don’t end up eating the whole batch!

Kocinera — July 20, 2012 @ 1:04 am

These brownies look amazing! I actually haven’t had brownies in a few months (no idea how that happened). I love fudgy brownies, especially when they seem to have borderline magical powers like these. :D This recipe is for sure getting bookmarked!

Susan Houston — July 22, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

These were horrible. What a waste of money, as they are not cheap to make. Greasy, dense and too cake-like, not like brownies at all. Threw them in the trash.

sweetsugarbelle — July 22, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

Epic Brownie? I am convinced!

Marcy — July 26, 2012 @ 8:08 am

I made these brownies again last night (froze the first batch for a party). My husband does NOT like brownies. I gave him a little piece and he said, “Wow! This is the best brownie I have ever tasted.” He asked for a 2nd piece! They are exceptional. If you use a double boiler, make sure you put the butter in first, then the chocolate on top. Melt these 2 ingredients before adding the Dulce de Leche. I made a mistake in the first batch and added the butter last—a liquidy mess, but it all turned out fine when I added the dry ingredients. I added 1 cup of chocolate chips, 1 cup of toffee bits and 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. Outstanding!

kelly — August 4, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

Brownies AND this quote?

“When you take your first bite, you will hear Celine Dion bellowing “My Heart Will Go On” and a bare-chested Gerard Butler will burst out of a cloud of murky haze, sword in tow.
    I swear.”

I am so very glad I put your blog on my Google Reader! ;)

Mary — August 7, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Wow, Sommer!

These brownies certainly do look epic! I can’t wait to try them!

Mary
    On Behalf of Chinet

Dana Joy — August 14, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

Lol…I love your description of these brownies. So glad I found your blog on Pinterest.

Amy Bennett — September 7, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Well it’s been nearly 8 weeks since I saved this recipe and have now decided to try it! I have had no luck tracking down a can of Dulce de Leche (this stuff must be made of gold and top secret where I live, haha) I debated doing the crockpot (sweetened condensed ) caramel, however, the pictures I have seen of it look a little unpleasany…I guess my question to you is, woluld a homemad caramel sauce work just fine? One with corn syrup, brown sugar, heavy cream? I found a recipe for it and wasn’t sure if it would be okay to use in this recipe. ( would it change the overall outcome of the recipe?)I am dying to try these! :) Hope to hear from you~Thanks!

• Amy Bennett — September 7th, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

*unpleasant

• Sommer — September 18th, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Hi Amy, The caramel sauce would work for flavor, but it might change the texture of the brownies. You can buy Dulce de Leche at Walmart, if you can’t find it anywhere else. :)

• Sharon Doty — August 19th, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

I was going to ask the same question. I live in Asheville and wondered where to find Dulce de leche.

Canette — September 21, 2012 @ 12:25 am

I really wanna make it. Can I skip dulche the leche to gain a classic brownie ?

Ashley — October 21, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

I was also curious if you removed the dulche de leche and the nuts if I could use it as a basic brownie recipe or if it would alter the texture/consistency of it? :)

Sheila — December 13, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Sommer, I’m looking for a brownie recipe with some heat in it, for a Mexican themed party I’m having, I googled spicy brownie and yours came up. HA! It’s not spicy but looks amazing…may have to try. And with the dulce de leche it would qualify for my theme ;)

Shauna — February 25, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I have to say sorry but I didn’t care for these. I made them exactly as ur recipe stated. They had an odd taste and the salt didnt even help bring out the sweet taste and were to dark not sweet enuf even with the dulce de leche. I’m only commenting because these were pricey to make. If u like dark chocolate and not very sweet things u will prob like them. I added a Carmel marshmallow layer and a toffee frosting to help counter balance the dark to sweet ratio and that helped. Sorry

Carolyn Blount Brodersen — April 30, 2013 @ 10:22 am

Looks fabulish! Definitely adding this one to my must-bake list. Thanks for sharing! One typo–so easy to do–discreetly instead of discretely.

Tasha @ ThatsSoYummy — April 30, 2013 @ 10:23 am

I love a good EPIC brownie… thanks for sharing!

Shari — May 25, 2014 @ 7:13 pm

I made this recipe yesterday and they are indeed epic. My husband and I both ate 2 at one setting and we were definitely on brownie overload. These are the best!

1. Pingback: Villeroy & Boch Recipes from the Isabelle von Boch blog — Villeroy & Boch Blog

2. Pingback: Triple Chocolate Oreo Brownies « Cooking College Chick