Today is all about the dogs. Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Mango Salsa, that is, with zippy Pineapple Mustard. It’s fun on a bun!
Summertime is a great time to “Go Hawaiian.” Even if you can’t jump on a plane and head to the islands, you can still have Hawaiian-style fun in your own backyard.
When you think of Hawaii, maybe hot dogs aren’t the first thing that come to mind. But I assure you, they are quite popular in the Land of Aloha. …With added Hawaiian flair.
Every time we’ve made the long haul to paradise, we hop off the plane and head straight to Puka Dog. Loaded with spicy condiments and fruity concoctions, Puka Dog’s hot dog recipes are a stroke of genius.
It’s been months since our last trip to Kauai, and I’ve been hurtin‘ for a Puka Dog, so today I decided to make my own.
You won’t see this Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Mango Salsa on any menu, but it is inspired by the Hawaiian method of piling tropical flavors on the dog.
I grilled my buns and polish sausage links, then made a fresh spicy mango salsa and Hawaiian-style sweet pineapple mustard for the top.
Layer fresh sliced avocado over these puppies and you have a meal fit for King Kamehameha!
This Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Mango Salsa would make a great addition to your 4th of July table, along with:
Have a happy and SAFE Independence Day!
Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Mango Salsa
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
For the Hot Dogs:
- 8 polish sausage links
- 8 hotdog buns
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 a small red onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Pineapple Mustard:
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Diced and combine all the ingredients for the Mango salsa, Toss and set aside.
- In the food processor, puree the pineapple chunks, garlic, dijon mustard, and honey until smooth.
- Open the buns and grill face-down for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Grill the sausages for 5-8 minutes, rotating for even char marks.
- Place the sausages on the buns and top with mango salsa, pineapple mustard and fresh sliced avocado.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!