Smoky Leek Risotto

Leek Risotto

Irresistible Leek Risotto: this creamy risotto with leeks, roasted cumin and cuban spices  is a smoky sensation. Serve it on it’s own, or as a side dish. Either way, it will be the talk of the table.

What’s more comforting or luxurious than a silky serving of risotto?

Arborio rice is the glass slipper of the grain family. It transforms a plain rice pilaf into a fabulously rich risotto dish with a creamy, yet firm texture.

Risotto makes a lovely canvas for any flavor. This risotto with leeks is bright and earthy, with deep smoky undertones from McCormick Roasted Ground Cumin and Cuban Seasoning.  The vibrant spices make this leek risotto a standout at the dinner table.

Risotto with Leeks

Smoky Leek Risotto was served at the McCormick Gourmet Dinner Party I threw last week. Make sure to check out the other recipes on the menu.

Or click here to see the McCormick Gourmet Dinner Party Chain!

Yield: 8 servings

Smoky Leek Risotto

Risotto with Leeks, Cumin and Cuban Spices

3 Tb. butter
3 Tb. olive oil
1 bunch leeks, white and light green ends diced and rinsed
1 Tb. McCormick Roasted Ground Cumin
2 Tb. McCormick Cuban Seasoning
2 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
6 1/2+ cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter, oil, chopped and cleaned leeks, cumin and the Cuban Seasoning. Saute 3-5 minutes until the leeks soften.

Heat the stock in another sauce pan or in the microwave. Keep warm.

Add the rice to the leek mixture, followed by the white wine. Stir and simmer until the wine absorbs.

Add 1 cup of stock at a time, stirring and allow it to absorb into the rice before adding more. This should take 15-20 minutes until all the stock is incorporated and the rice is "al dente".

When the rice is tender and creamy, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve immediately.

18 Responses to “Smoky Leek Risotto”

Bev @ Bev Cooks — May 18, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Um, yes times a billion.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 18, 2012 @ 8:44 am

oh dear lord i love leeks!

Richa@HobbyandMore — May 18, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

I love the earthy savory flavor of leeks! this risotto is right up my alley!

Please do drop by the Auction fundraiser to help VSPCA,India on my blog, to bid or share. Shipping is available in US, India, and some international. Its a wonderful org rescuing all animals like farm sanctuary and also feeding the homeless.

Tara @ Unsophisticook — May 18, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

Yum! Making risotto at home has been on my “to try” list for awhile now. Definitely need to make this!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 18, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I am fairly new to making risotto, but boy do I love it! I know I would love this one.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 19, 2012 @ 2:46 am

Love risotto!

ATasteOfMadness — May 19, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing!! I have never tried risotto, but definitely will soon!!

RisaG — May 21, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

I have never seen McCormick’s Cuban Seasoning before. I guess they don’t sell it here in my area of NJ. I would never think of using cuban seasonings in risotto. Sounds very good though. I adore risotto and make it at least once a month. I want a whole bowl right now.

Peter Block — May 24, 2012 @ 11:18 am

I love risotto and love smoke. what a great combination. will definitely try this one.

Peggy — May 25, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

I’ll have to check out those spices! This risotto sounds really delicious =)

Peter @ Feed Your Soul — June 5, 2012 @ 10:46 am

I adapted your recipe this weekend and it turned out great. I gave you credit and a link. here is my link

ellenbcookery — June 6, 2012 @ 8:33 am

I am obsessed with leek. Always looking for new ways to incorporate them into my recipes. This looks delicious. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 25th June - 1st July, 2012 - The Flying Drunken Monkey

2. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 21st – 27th January, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey

3. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 5th - 11th August, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey

4. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 21st – 27th January, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey The Flying Drunken Monkey Meal Plan ★ 21st – 27th January, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey | One woman's struggle against housework

5. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 5th - 11th August, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey The Flying Drunken Monkey Meal Plan ★ 5th - 11th August, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey | One woman's struggle against housework

6. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 25th June - 1st July, 2012 - The Flying Drunken Monkey The Flying Drunken Monkey Meal Plan ★ 25th June - 1st July, 2012 - The Flying Drunken Monkey | One woman's struggle against housework