celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Smoky Leek Risotto

Irresistible Leek Risotto: this creamy risotto with leeks, roasted cumin and cuban spices  is a smoky sensation. Serve it on it’s own, or as a side dish. Either way, it will be the talk of the table.

Smoky Leek Risotto

What’s more comforting or luxurious than a silky serving of risotto?

Arborio rice is the glass slipper of the grain family. It transforms a plain rice pilaf into a fabulously rich risotto dish with a creamy, yet firm texture.

Risotto makes a lovely canvas for any flavor. This risotto with leeks is bright and earthy, with deep smoky undertones from McCormick Roasted Ground Cumin and Cuban Seasoning.  The vibrant spices make this leek risotto a standout at the dinner table.

Risotto with Leeks

Smoky Leek Risotto was served at the McCormick Gourmet Dinner Party I threw last week. Make sure to check out the other recipes on the menu.

Or click here to see the McCormick Gourmet Dinner Party Chain!

Smoky Leek Risotto

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time:10 minutes

Cook Time:25 minutes

Risotto with Leeks, Cumin and Cuban Spices

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 bunch leeks, white and light green ends diced and rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon McCormick Roasted Ground Cumin
  • 2 tablespoons McCormick Cuban Seasoning
  • 2 1/2 cups arborio rice
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 6 1/2+ cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter, oil, chopped and cleaned leeks, cumin and the Cuban Seasoning. Saute 3-5 minutes until the leeks soften.
  2. Heat the stock in another sauce pan or in the microwave. Keep warm.
  3. Add the rice to the leek mixture, followed by the white wine. Stir and simmer until the wine absorbs.
  4. Add 1 cup of stock at a time, stirring and allow it to absorb into the rice before adding more. This should take 15-20 minutes until all the stock is incorporated and the rice is "al dente".
  5. When the rice is tender and creamy, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Serve immediately.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

18 Responses to “Smoky Leek Risotto”

1. Bev @ Bev Cooksposted May 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

Um, yes times a billion.

2. Heather (Heather's Dish)posted May 18, 2012 at 8:44 am

oh dear lord i love leeks!

3. Richa@HobbyandMoreposted May 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I love the earthy savory flavor of leeks! this risotto is right up my alley!

Please do drop by the Auction fundraiser to help VSPCA,India on my blog, to bid or share. Shipping is available in US, India, and some international. Its a wonderful org rescuing all animals like farm sanctuary and also feeding the homeless.

4. Tara @ Unsophisticookposted May 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Yum! Making risotto at home has been on my “to try” list for awhile now. Definitely need to make this!

5. MIss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted May 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I am fairly new to making risotto, but boy do I love it! I know I would love this one.

6. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted May 19, 2012 at 2:46 am

Love risotto!

7. ATasteOfMadnessposted May 19, 2012 at 10:13 am

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing!! I have never tried risotto, but definitely will soon!!

8. RisaGposted May 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I have never seen McCormick’s Cuban Seasoning before. I guess they don’t sell it here in my area of NJ. I would never think of using cuban seasonings in risotto. Sounds very good though. I adore risotto and make it at least once a month. I want a whole bowl right now.

9. Peter Blockposted May 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

I love risotto and love smoke. what a great combination. will definitely try this one.

10. Peggyposted May 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’ll have to check out those spices! This risotto sounds really delicious =)

11. Peter @ Feed Your Soulposted June 5, 2012 at 10:46 am

I adapted your recipe this weekend and it turned out great. I gave you credit and a link. here is my link

12. ellenbcookeryposted June 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

I am obsessed with leek. Always looking for new ways to incorporate them into my recipes. This looks delicious. Thanks!

13. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 25th June - 1st July, 2012 - The Flying Drunken Monkey

14. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 21st – 27th January, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey

15. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 5th - 11th August, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey

16. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 21st – 27th January, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey The Flying Drunken Monkey Meal Plan ★ 21st – 27th January, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey | One woman's struggle against housework

17. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 5th - 11th August, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey The Flying Drunken Monkey Meal Plan ★ 5th - 11th August, 2013 - The Flying Drunken Monkey | One woman's struggle against housework

18. Pingback: Meal Plan ★ 25th June - 1st July, 2012 - The Flying Drunken Monkey The Flying Drunken Monkey Meal Plan ★ 25th June - 1st July, 2012 - The Flying Drunken Monkey | One woman's struggle against housework