Blackberry Anise Ice Cream

Berry Ice Cream

Berry Ice Cream is a favorite summertime treat. My ultra creamy blackberry ice cream has a surprise hint of anise flavor in the background to make the fresh berries pop!

Over the years my family has progressed in our ice cream making endeavors. We started out having the kids shake the ice cream mixture by hand, double bagged with rock-salt. Moms with high energy kids–this is a great way to WEAR THEM OUT!

Then we moved to an old fashioned ice cream churner, that required piles of salt and ice, and was cranked by hand.

Next we tried an automatic ice cream maker with a freezer bowl and soft-serve dispenser. That turned out to be more of a gimmick than anything else.

Finally, we ended up with a standard electric ice cream machine with a freezer bowl and a strong motor.

Blackberry Ice Cream

Once you start experimenting with homemade ice cream, you can’t stop. The texture and freshness of homemade ice cream simply can’t be beat.

Plus you have the ability to blend unique flavors you can’t find in the freezer aisle.

This summer, do yourself a favor and buy an ice cream machine. Your family will thank you!

Ice Cream with BlackberriesGorgeous Green Crystal Bowls from Villeroy & Boch.

Today I offer you fresh berry ice cream. This blackberry ice cream with a hint of anise is smooth and surprising, with a deep licorice note and tart berries speckled about.

Most people say they either love or hate licorice flavor. I personally do not care for black licorice, but love licorice tea, shaved fennel salad, and countless other dishes seasoned with anise.

Even if you think you don’t like the licorice flavor associated with anise, I challenge you to try this blackberry ice cream. I served my berry ice cream with anise at a dinner party, to several hardcore licorice-haters, and they gobbled it down without an ounce of hesitation. In fact, a couple of them even asked for seconds!

The touch of anise extract in this berry ice cream provides an airy quality, and pushes the bright ripe blackberries to the forefront.

This, my friends, is the taste of summer. A truly magical combination!

Yield: 12 half-cup servings

Prep Time: 30 minutes active time

Berry Ice Cream

Blackberry Ice Cream with a a hint of Anise

2 1/2 cups half & half
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cups sugar + 2 Tb. divided
2 egg yokes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. anise extract
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup fresh blackberries, chopped

Place a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the half & half, cream, egg yokes, 3/4 cup sugar and salt. Whisk well.

Continue to whisk as the mixture warms and thickens. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat.

Stir in the vanilla and anise extracts. Place the lid on the pot and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight. *If you're in a hurry, place in the freezer for 1 hour, but stir every twenty minutes. Don't forget about it!

Chop the blackberries into small pieces. Toss with 2 Tb. sugar.

Turn on the ice cream machine. Place a sieve over the top to remove any egg clumps, and pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen ice cream bowl.

Churn for 20 + minutes until thick like soft serve ice cream, then add the blackberries and juices. Churn another minutes or so, then scoop into an airtight container and freeze.

I Scream for Ice Cream:

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Lavender Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

Chocolate Pretzel Frozen Custard

Pineapple Sorbet ~ Lemons & Anchovies

Lime and Coconut Ice Cream ~ Two Peas In Their Pod

Strawberry Rhubarb Creme Fraiche Ice Cream ~ Buttercream Blondie

34 Responses to “Blackberry Anise Ice Cream”

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 30, 2012 @ 7:54 am

This looks amazing! Just stumbled and pinned it!

Cassie (Bake Your Day) — May 30, 2012 @ 8:00 am

This sounds perfect, and so unique. Bring on ice cream season!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 30, 2012 @ 9:37 am

i really need to learn to make my own ice cream (and get an ice cream maker at that!). i love berry ice creams the best!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 30, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Loving all these ice cream recipes!! I love a nice juicy ripe blackberry and have never tried blackberries (or anise) in ice cream. Sounds like a great flavor combo and just the right treat to cool you down on a hot day. I’ve been looking into getting an ice cream maker for a while, so I’m about to check yours out. :) Thanks!

katie — May 30, 2012 @ 11:38 am

yum…. love making my own ice cream and this sounds divine! Your pictures are spectacular as always!

Jennifer | Mother Thyme — May 30, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

Love this! I just picked up a pint of fresh blackberries at the market last night. My ice cream maker could use a little work out whipping this up! Great flavors with the anise.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 30, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Looks wonderful! I love this recipe and nothing beats a bowl of ice cream in the summer! I want to buy an ice cream maker, do you have any recommedations? I saw a Cusinart, but I’m not sure. I need an ice cream maker and fast!!

• Sommer — May 30th, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Jennifer I use a Cuisinart and love it!

Heather @girlichef — May 30, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

I am a HUGE fan of anise flavor (even black licorice) and I am completely enamored by the sound of this ice cream…such an amazing flavor combo!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 30, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I don’t like black licorice either, but I may have to give this a try!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — May 30, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

If I read this earlier I might have been sad because thought not a hand crank, my only ice cream machine was one that still required salt and made a tiny amount. BUT…whoo hoo I was just out shopping and decided it was time to upgrade. I look forward to making sorbets too…but it’s the ice cream that it’s really for. I would not think of this flavor combo but I’ll trust your judgement cause I want to make a LOT of ice cream this summer. Bread one day. Ice cream the next!

Paula- bell'alimento — May 30, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

I love Anise and I just so happen to have some in the pantry and blackberries coming in my CSA this week ; )

Liz — May 30, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

Oh, how wonderful!!! Blackberries make the most fabulous dessert and your lovely ice cream looks to be no exception. I love that you’ve added a touch of anise…mmmmmm.

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — May 30, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

Deliciously good! Love this berry flavor …Now I wish it would be summer here in NZ :)

Hugs <3

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 30, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

What a fabulous flavor combination! I love the idea of a hit of licorice flavor with the tart blackberries.

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 30, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Ice cream may just be my favorite part of summer. Delicious flavors and GORGEOUS bowls.

marla — May 31, 2012 @ 6:07 am

Such a beautiful ice cream Sommer!! I love blackberries :)

Jeanette — May 31, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Such an interesting combination – blackberries and anise – I bet it would make the berry flavor pop! Beautiful!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — May 31, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Love blackberries, but the jury is out on the anise. I’m not a fan of black licorice, but I’m always willing to try new flavor combinations!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — May 31, 2012 @ 9:08 am

I hear you and I understand! Once you get the easy-peasy ice cream maker, it’s so hard to stop making creamy deliciousness. This is a lovely combination and when our blackberries are ripe, this recipe is what I’ll think about. Have a great day!

Carolyn Jung — May 31, 2012 @ 10:22 am

The anise is a surprising addition. Very Italian. ;)
    You’re right — homemade ice cream just can’t be beat, especially when it comes in such wonderful flavors as this one.

Carolyn — May 31, 2012 @ 11:18 am

What an interesting flavour combo, Sommer. Looks delicious, I do love both anise and blackberry.

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — May 31, 2012 @ 11:43 am

I bought some star anise awhile ago and have yet to use it! Looks like I may try this sometime soon!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — May 31, 2012 @ 11:46 am

What a unique and interesting combination of flavors! I’m not a licorice fan, but a little subtle hint of anise I do enjoy. Putting this one on my to-try list.

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — May 31, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

awesome flavor combination! looks delicious!

Mei-i @ gastronomic nomad — May 31, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

It’s funny that you say you hate licorice but love fennel/anise because I am exactly the same way. Hate Twizzlers or sambuca, but use my fennel seeds, pollen and fresh in any dish I can. Looking forward to breaking out my Kitchenaid ice cream attachment to try this!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 31, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

I hate black licorice, but I do like anise! Funny. This ice cream looks beautiful and tasty!

Jersey girl cooks — May 31, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

I love my ice cream maker. You reminded me that I must make ice cream soon. Love the blackberries in this!

Asmita — June 1, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

What a unique and fantastic combination of flavors. Love the green bowls you have used for the ice cream.

Amy (Savory Moments) — June 1, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

What a lovely flavor combination with the anise. This looks very good and perfect for summer.

Russell at Chasing Delicious — June 2, 2012 @ 10:33 am

You’re killing it with awesome flavor combos. This ice cream sounds divine! I can’t wait for my blackberry bush to fruit so I can try this!

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey — June 5, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Blackberries, anise, and ice cream! I am very intrigued by this recipe! I love all three, so I would love this ice cream!

Valérie ( France ) — June 11, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Elle me plait terriblement cette crème glacée
    Bonne soirée
    Valérie

Kandace — February 26, 2014 @ 10:13 am

My husband isn’t a big fan of seeds. If I pureed the berries, put them through a sieve and added them to the ice cream mixture, would this work? Thanks!