Layered Mousse Cake

Jello Mousse

Classic Jello Mousse reborn as an elegant Jello Cake Recipe. This fruity and exceptionally easy mousse recipe is way too good to pass up!

Can I tell you a secret? I love jello.

I know we grownups are supposed to have matured past this brightly-colored jiggly treat, but I openly admit, I have not.

Jello Cake Recipe

Whatever happened to those Jello Salads and the Jello Fluff our grandmothers used to make? Weren’t they the highlight of any church potluck? Say what you will, but they were always the first thing to disappear from the table.

I hope I’m never too sophisticated not to find a thrill in this classic treat.

Easy Mousse RecipeSleek Dishes from Villeroy & Boch.

This easy Jello Cake Recipe is so simple to make, my 7 year old can prepare it himself. Layered with jello mousse and graham crackers, this treat is light, fluffy, and full of fruity essence. The easy mousse recipe is made of jello, cream cheese and whipped topping. Once assembled, the jello mousse sets and softens the graham crackers layers, creating a 6 layered dessert that looks like a cake when cut.

How To Make Jello Cake

Plus, it is classically elegant and can be decorated any way you like. I made three flavors this week, raspberry, lemon and apricot, then decorated the tops with fresh and dried fruit to match the flavor. (The lemon was my favorite.)

This jello cake recipe can be made several days ahead and is the perfect surprise to bring to your Easter brunch. My kids thought it was the coolest thing ever. YAY for JELLO!

Jello Mousse Cake

Exciting news for those on a Gluten Free Diet. The Jello, Cool Whip and Cream Cheese in this easy mousse recipe are all Gluten Free. If you buy Gluten Free Graham Crackers, this Easter treat is all yours!

I’ve been hanging out over at the Udi’s Gluten Free Online Community the last few months. If you are looking for more Gluten Free Easter recipes, head over and check it out. The Udi’s website is a fantastic resource for anyone new to the Gluten Free lifestyle.

Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes + 2 hours chill time

Jello Mousse ~ Jello Cake Recipe

3 oz. box Jello, any flavor
1 cup hot water
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. tub cool whip, thawed
24 whole graham crackers (could be gluten free!)
Fresh or dried fruit for garnish

Place scalding hot water in a bowl, add the jello packet and whisk until the jello dissolves.

In a separate larger bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl, then slowly add the warm jello mixture into the cream cheese and beat until there are no clumps.

Allow the jello mixture to cool to room temperature, then fold in the cool whip.

Line a 8 X 11 inch pan with foil. Place 6 whole graham crackers at the bottom of the pan, creating a flat, tight layer. Spoon 1/3 of the jello mousse over the graham crackers and smooth. Repeat with remaining crackers and jello mousse until you have three layers of cracker and three layers of mousse in the jello cake recipe.

Place in the fridge to cool for at least two hours, to set the mousse and soften the graham crackers.

Lift the jello cake out of the pan with the edges of the foil. Trim the messy edges and cut into 12 pieces. Garnish and serve.

Easter Brunch Ideas:

Cherry Walnut Scones with Lemon Curd

Fruity Pillow Cookies

Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Frittata

Breakfast Salad with Cinnamon Toast Croutons

Asparagus and Leek Quiche ~ A Little Zaftig

Green Bean and Toast almond Quinoa ~ Family Fresh Cooking

Sugar Snap Pea and Fennel Salad ~ Gourmande In The Kitchen

Skillet Turnip Greens ~ Add A Pinch

58 Responses to “Layered Mousse Cake”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 2, 2012 @ 5:30 am

This is such a fun cake! Looks delicious!

Belinda @zomppa — April 2, 2012 @ 5:43 am

Gorgeous!! Feel like I stepped into some fancy patisserie!

Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies — April 2, 2012 @ 6:49 am

My son is the jello lover in our our house. I am sure not only he would like those treats.
    Great pictures!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — April 2, 2012 @ 7:48 am

I love Jello too! I just made a strawberry pie with Jello. I will have to give your little treats a try, the boys will love them.

Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat. — April 2, 2012 @ 8:06 am

What a lovely idea! And so simple…just what’s needed to get through the busyness of Easter morning!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 2, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Wow, these look amazing- seriously, picture perfect. They sound good, too. Thanks for sharing.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — April 2, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Very lovely! Love the candied fruit topping – so pretty!

bake your day — April 2, 2012 @ 11:57 am

this is perfect, Sommer! So versatile and so great for this time of year!

Marly — April 2, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

Wow, Sommer, this looks so good! And I have some vegan jello so this would be fun to make a vegan version. What a nice summer dessert!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — April 2, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I’m in the minority I guess…I’ve never liked jello or jelly but this is different. Mousse I do like and besides, you’ve made it look gorgeous.

But what I really love? I just candied some blood oranges a couple of weeks ago; now that I LOVE!! I want to candy every citrus in sight; who knew how fabulous they are!

Lynda — April 2, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

These are so pretty! I have to admit that I hated jello when I was a kid. I was almost 30 before I tried it again and then only if it was prepared certain ways. I can tell theat I’d love this jello mousse.

Kiri W. — April 2, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Oooh, now that looks delicious, elegant and super easy :) I love everything about it!

Asiya — April 2, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

I love Jello….This looks so good…can’t wait to give it a try!

Frances — April 2, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Your never too sophisticated for a delicious treat. Good is good and this does make a nice Easter brunch treat. I love the pastel colors and they way you layered it to give it an elegant presentation. Looks lovely and delicious perfect for any occasion.

Janet@FCTC — April 2, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

Oh, to heck with the idea of maturing past it. I’m 47 and I STILL love jello in any form :-D And this form looks oh so good!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 2, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

I love this recipe! Looks so good and it’s so easy! I have a box of jello that I haven’t used yet and this would be perfect! thanks for the great recipe!!

Ambika — April 2, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Looks wonderfully light and delicious!

the wicked noodle — April 2, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

I’m floored that you made jello look so sophisticated! GORGEOUS photos!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — April 2, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

That looks amazing,Sommer! Beautiful clicks :)

HUGS <3

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 2, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

These are so pretty and perfect for spring/summer desserts!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 2, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

It looks so pretty and delicious!! I could never cut a perfect slice of mousse. Ever.

Priya Sreeram — April 3, 2012 @ 12:53 am

looks decadent; simple but elegant ! yum

Choc Chip Uru — April 3, 2012 @ 1:08 am

This cake seems so complex and beautiful – absolutely delicious for sure :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

cooking rookie — April 3, 2012 @ 1:52 am

What a beautiful cake. I can’t believe it’s so simple!

Medeja — April 3, 2012 @ 3:50 am

So colorful and cute! It’s an interesting way to make such festive dessert! :)

Carolyn — April 3, 2012 @ 5:57 am

Absolutely lovely, Sommer. And easy too, you can’t argue with that!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 3, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I haven’t had jello in way too long! These layer mousse looks gorgeous and sounds wonderful!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — April 3, 2012 @ 10:51 am

These look absolutely beautiful and are perfect for Spring!

Aileen — April 3, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

No doubt these are the first to disappear from the table :-) You have captured the goodness in the pictures

Abby — April 3, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

You have made a classic like Jello look so sophisticated! Simply beautiful!

Ilke — April 3, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

You can not even tell it is jello. Who needs to grow up anyway ? :)

vianney — April 3, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

love love green jello, my makes this jello, fruit salad for thanksgiving every year. heaven. love the spring colors!!

Wendy from Suburban Misfit — April 3, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Sommer – You never cease to amaze me with your brilliant photos and delicious recipes! I’m awarding you with The Versatile Blogger Award. No need to respond if you don’t want to, just wanted to let you know I think you rock! (And not just because we’re Udi’s buddies). http://www.suburbanmisfit.com/2012/04/03/the-versatile-blogger-award-better-late-than-never/

naomi — April 5, 2012 @ 11:55 am

These are awesome! I love the no-bake anything. Great recipe, Sommer!

Liz — April 8, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

Wow! Gorgeous…and easy! Who could ask for more…oh, yeah…I expect yummy, too, but of this I have no doubt :)

Amanda — April 9, 2012 @ 9:41 am

This looks fantastic!

Cheese with Noodles — April 15, 2012 @ 12:55 am

Last week I made just the mousse part. Came across this recipe tonight and I love the addition of graham crackers! I will definitely have to try it! Good advice to use a foil lined pan so you can trim the edges before serving :)

Michelle — April 15, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

Summer,

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them! I would like to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, on my link party at http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a great week.

Michelle

• Michelle — April 15th, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Sommer *
      Sorry about the oops on spelling your name :)

Michelle

Elisa — April 17, 2012 @ 5:45 am

We don’t have Cool Whip in Switzerland. What can I replace it with?

Elisa — April 17, 2012 @ 5:46 am

Also, I should mention, it looks lovely! I would like to prepare this for a baby shower I am hosting :-)

Joan Hayes@chocolate and more — April 20, 2012 @ 11:47 am

Love, love, love it!!!! I can’t wait to make this come summer with my kids, the possibilities are endless! Had to pin!

Kelster — May 31, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

I’d love to do this and was wondering how high this layered dessert was. I want to make sure I use the right size pan.

• Sommer — June 1st, 2012 @ 6:42 am

Hi Kelster, It ends up being around 2 1/2 to 3 inches high. Hope that helps!!

• Kelster — June 1st, 2012 @ 7:28 am

It does. Thanks a lot!

Vicki Treadwell — June 12, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

My sister in law still makes those wonderful jello fluffs for get togethers I LOVE THEM!!!

Preeti — July 5, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Hi Sommer,
    Thanks for such a great recipe. I made it for our July 4th gathering and it was a hit with all ages. Love your website and will be trying a lot more of your wonderful dishes.
    Preeti

Sim — April 7, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

Just made this amazing dessert.its so easy n yummmm.!! I ve been looking for a recipe which used cream cheese n jello since ages ,…n lo! I found it here,, ( well i did tried others too but none as divine as this one.)thank u so much for posting this wonderful recipe !

di — May 13, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

Can you use anything besides cool whip? Heavy Cream? whipped and sweeten?

Amy — July 18, 2013 @ 1:40 am

I just made this but when I mixed the jello in the cream cheese is was so watery and when I folded the whipped cream in (instead of cool whip), the texture was not as in the picture!! Someone tell me where did I go wrong please??? :(

sarah — December 22, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

I stumbled upon this post when looking for lemon mousse cake that was gluten free to make for a friend who is new to the whole “gluten free deal” and needed a special treat. I made the gluten free graham crackers and followed your instructions.

She absolutely adored it and said she didn’t share much of it with her family. She was eating two servings at a time. Thank you for making my friends day!

I’ll make this again. It is definitely a keeper for Easter time.

sarah — December 22, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Oh, and for the others asking if they can use heavy whipping cream, you can. I used 1 cup (8 oz) of it and whipped it stiff with a teaspoon of sugar and a few drops of vanilla. It didn’t turn out watery but nice a mousse-y.

I also learned how to candy lemons to put on top like in your pictures, those were also delicious and I learned something new!

Thanks again.

Jaclyn — March 4, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

These look so pretty! I’ve had these pinned forever I need to try this!

maria — April 3, 2014 @ 8:46 am

HI WE DON’T HAVE COOL WHIP WHAT ELSE CAN I USE OR IS IT FRESH CREAM?

• Sommer — April 3rd, 2014 @ 12:49 pm

Yes, go with fresh whipped cream.

kelli — May 15, 2014 @ 5:50 pm

How do you cut your cake so neatly?? The pieces look perfect!

1. Pingback: 50+ Best Dessert Mousse Recipes