Pimento Granny Smith Grilled Cheese

Grilled Cheese Recipe

Don’t you just love a good grilled cheese sandwich? This grilled cheese recipe, is a twist on the classic and just might be the BEST grilled cheese sandwich ever. Mind you, that’s only my opinion, but do tend to be right every now and again. *wink*

Did you know April was National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month? Obviously, we Americans love our comfort food.

It’s hard to resist a really good grilled cheese recipe. Probably because it reminds us of childhood, offers the comfort of a warm blanket, and makes the world seem honest and pure… if only for a moment.

The Best Grilled Cheese

This grilled cheese recipe starts out with the classic white bread and American cheese combo. Then I added fresh, zesty, homemade pimento cheese and a thin slice of perky Granny Smith Apple. Mmmmm.

As the buttered bread is grilling, the pimento cheese melts, releasing it’s flavors, and the apple slice warms and softens. This creates three layers of creamy, tangy, gooey goodness between perfectly toasted slices of bread.

Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich

I used Udi’s Gluten Free Bread and Horizon Organic American Cheese Slices for this sandwich in honor of this month’s Grilled Cheese Recipe Challenge.

If you are trying gluten free living for the first time, the Udi’s Community offers a fantastic support system. Make sure to check all the recipes and tips.

Perfect Grilled Cheese

Yield: 4 servings

Grilled Cheese

Pimento Granny Smith Grilled Cheese

8 slices sandwich bread
2 Tb. butter
4 slices American cheese
1/2 cup pimento cheese
1 large granny smith apple

Heat a skillet (or panini press) to medium heat. Butter the bread slices and flip over.

Lay a slice of cheese on four pieces of bread.

Then slice 4 thin apple rounds, close to the core. Lay them on top of the cheese slices.

Spread 2 tablespoons of pimento cheese on top of the apple and top with the remaining slices of bread, butter-side-up.

Grill the sandwiches 3-5 minutes per side, or 3-5 minutes total in a panini press.

More Sublime Sandwiches:

Artichoke and Pesto Panini

Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwich

New Orleans Muffaletta

Cheese Tomato & Tofu Sandwich ~ The Little Kitchen

Vegetarian Meatball Sub ~ A Thought For Food

Chipotle Lime Chicken Sandwiches ~ Miss In The Kitchen

Roasted Mushroom and Pepper Wrap ~ Aggie’s Kitchen

30 Responses to “Pimento Granny Smith Grilled Cheese”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 20, 2012 @ 6:19 am

Oh neat! This sounds so yummy!!

Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} — April 20, 2012 @ 6:35 am

That looks delicious and I just love your photography. I could sit and peruse your blog all day.

Maria — April 20, 2012 @ 6:52 am

Love the apple on there! Very nice!

Angie — April 20, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Looks amazing Sommer! Can’t wait to try the recipe

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 20, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Yum! I love grilled cheese and with apple is perfect! I love the idea of it! It’s breakfast time and I’m thinking I want a grilled cheese sandwich. Wish I had some pimento cheese!! I’m bookmarking this recipe!!

bake your day — April 20, 2012 @ 7:17 am

Homemade pimento cheese sounds so perfect. This is a perfect twist on a classic, Sommer!

Kristi Rimkus — April 20, 2012 @ 7:24 am

Fantastic idea to add a slice of apple – apple and cheese are such a classic combination. This could be the best cheese sandwich ever!

Marly — April 20, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Apples on a sandwich? What a great idea! I feel a vegan version of this one coming on!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 20, 2012 @ 8:33 am

I used to make a very similar grilled cheese recipe as a kid. Used to do it open face though… but I love this version!

Jen @ Juanita's Cocina — April 20, 2012 @ 10:01 am

I am so jealous of your kitchen right now. Seriously.

raquel@eRecipe.com — April 20, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Gorgeous and yummy! I have not yet tried making apple a part of my sandwich and wondered how it would taste like. It is hard to resist. This is a great recipe to try. =)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 20, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

i’m dying over here…this sounds amazing!

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 20, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

There is something about grilled cheese sandwiches that I can’t so no to. Love the fun spin on this one!

Paula- bell'alimento — April 20, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

I am a sucker for homemade pimento cheese. Lurve.

BusyWorkingMama — April 20, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

All right, this is a grilled cheese sandwich that even I would eat! Yum!!

Choc Chip Uru — April 20, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

What an awesome combo 0- I a in lovbe with melted cheese everywhere :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 20, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

I haven’t had a grilled cheese in about a million years and an appley grilled cheese just sounds over the top awesome! Looks like I need to slice up some apple and grill up some cheese!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — April 20, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

This sounds really unusual with the apple slice. I’ll have to give it a try!!

Liz — April 20, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Oh, I love grilled cheese sandwiches…and your twists on this classic sound DELISH! Have a wonderful weekend, Sommer~

Barbara | Creative Culinary — April 20, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

I have been working overtime to participate in this event; what a hard job huh? I did a grilled cheese with apple too and it has become my favorite of all time, well, for right now.

So…late and hungry I now know what to eat…all thanks to you. :)

Fresh and Foodie — April 21, 2012 @ 7:38 am

What a great idea! I’ve put granny smith apples on sandwiches before, but I love the idea of adding pimento cheese and grilling it. Excellent.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — April 21, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

I’m dying to try your grilled cheese, it does look fantastic! Thanks for the link love too!

Katie — April 22, 2012 @ 12:55 am

I’ve heard or pimiento cheese…. Sounds delicious (as do the sandwiches) I get whole pimientos and use them lots – stuffed with goat cheese is good :-))

kale @ tastes good to me! — April 22, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

I just had a grilled cheese this afternoon! You’re right, it is like a warm blanket. :)

NanaScriv — April 23, 2012 @ 10:45 am

This is one super-magnificent sandwich. I’m going to love eating this and serving it to others. Thanks Spicy Perspective.

sweetsugarbelle — April 23, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

Oh WOW, Sommer, these look amazing…love the apple and cheese combo!

Russell at Chasing Delicious — April 24, 2012 @ 9:28 am

I must admit I’m afraid of combining apple and cheese… but these little grilled cheeses look awesome. And since you’re calling them the best, then I guess I have no choice but to try ‘em!

Amy — April 26, 2012 @ 7:19 am

This does look like a wonderful combination. We really like pimento cheese around here but I just don’t make it often enough. BUT that needs to change soon before April ends! ; )

Doodler — May 7, 2012 @ 11:33 am

This is so coincidental – I was just thinking of pimento cheese! Never thought of combining it it’s apple. What a great idea.

Amarie at The CottonwoodJournals.com — April 19, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

This grilled cheese looks so delicious. Have you entered it in the Grilled Cheese Academy’s recipe showdown? If not, you should! Here’s the website: http://grilledcheeseacademy.com