Authentic Indian Chai

How to Make Chai Tea

How To Make Chai Tea… the authentic kind.

Chai is the lifeblood of India. Served in scant shot glasses from dawn until way past dusk, this beverage is EVERYWHERE you look. It’s in little make-shift cafes, sold from chai-wallahs at every bus station, train station and street corner, brewing in every home.

It’s been fifteen years sense I last visited India. Yet I’ll never forget sitting in open-air chai shops drinking creamy, ultra-sweet chai with friends.

True Indian chai is a far cry from the watered-down American coffeehouse version. Authentic chai is made with thick buffalo milk, considerably too much sugar, black tea, and cardamom pods–-if you’re lucky.

Indian Chai

The last summer I spent in India, a friend who spoke English well, nicknamed the cardamom pod the VIP nut. She explained that cardamom pods went in the chai cups of those they considered special. If they didn’t care for the person, and were just serving them chai to be polite, no cardamom! We sipped chai multiple times a day, every day. Everywhere we went, new friends would offer it with bright smiles.

I miss those chai over-dosed summers.

How To Make Chai Tea… the authentic kind.

Press the cardamom pods until they crack. Bring the water, tea, star anise, cinnamon, and cardamom to a boil.

Boil for 3-5 minutes until the tea is very dark and has reduced to about 2 cups. Strain and add the sugar. Add the milk and stir until hot.

Place the (used) cardamom pods in the bottom of the cups for good friends!
Makes 4 American-sized servings or 12+ Indian-sized servings.

Authentic Chai
Pin It

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 1 minute

How To Make Chai Tea

2 ¼ cups water
1 whole star anise
1 stick cinnamon
4 cardamom pods, cracked
4-5 black tea bags, or ¼ cup loose black tea
2 cups whole milk or half-n-half
¼ cup sugar

Boil for 3-5 minutes until the tea is black and has reduced to about 2 cups. Strain and add the sugar. Add the milk and stir until hot.

Place the used cardamom pods in the bottom of the cups for good friends.

Makes 4 American-sized servings or 12+ Indian-sized servings.

97 Responses to “Authentic Indian Chai”

Belinda @zomppa — March 2, 2012 @ 5:36 am

Hmm. The proper chai has the perfect blend…..

Drink Me Chai — March 2, 2012 @ 6:50 am

Thank you for spreading the chai love!

Our founder, Amanda Hamilton, fell in love with chai when she visited Indian, and she has now developed Drink Me Chai to be the U.K.’s No. 1 chai latte.

Our chai is a powder that you add hot water to to make an instant and authentic chai. Simples!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 2, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Chai latte’s are my favorite! This recipe is lovely. Great idea!

chinmayie @ love food eat — March 2, 2012 @ 8:17 am

I love chai. I used to drink quite a few of them every day but now it’s come down to just one mug a day :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 2, 2012 @ 8:59 am

My father grew up in Calcutta, India until he was 18. He’s been in the states since but still always talks about the “street food.” Chai actually just came up last weekend when he was over for dinner when I asked what kind of tea he wanted with dessert and he gave me a long tirade about how these bags of chai are BS compared to what they were in India. haha Now I know what the difference is :)

• Cate — November 28th, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

Your father is quite right – I haven’t had a decent chai since 1980 (out of a little clay cup at the railway station).
      Australians don’t have a clue about a decent cup of chai ;)

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — March 2, 2012 @ 9:00 am

My goodness. This looks absolutely delicious. What a great post and beautiful pictures!

5 Star Foodie — March 2, 2012 @ 9:31 am

Would be so warming and delicious, gorgeous pictures!

Cookin' Canuck — March 2, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous photos, Sommer! I have made authentic chai a couple of times and there really is no comparison to the “fake” stuff.

Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 2, 2012 @ 10:30 am

This is so wonderful and useful! I never knew how to make chai!

Ambika — March 2, 2012 @ 11:39 am

I Love chai! Beautiful photos, love those glass mugs!

naomi — March 2, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

proper, authentic chai recipe – I will definitely be making this! Gorgoeous phots too.

Kankana — March 2, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

I like your version! Nothing charges me better than a nice masala chai :)

Kiri W. — March 2, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

Mmmm, that looks amazing! My wife loves chai, I’ll be sure to share this with her :)

Deanna — March 2, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

I love chai. I always order it when I go to Indian restaurants because theirs tastes so much better. Now I know why!

Ama — March 2, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

One of my daughter’s friends had her over for a playdate when she was in preschool. Her Mom, from India, made me the most incredible cup of Chai I have ever tasted. I still long for a cup of it. Now I may be able to make it myself. Thanks!

Cassie — March 2, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

Loving this, Sommer! I guess I have probably never had authentic chai but I’m definitely trying this!!

Amber — March 2, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

Oooh this looks amazing. I love chai tea but the thought of making a true authentic chai is awesome and I need to try this!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — March 2, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

Gorgeous photos and maybe an inspiration for me to try making chai tea. My daughter loves it and will sometimes bring some with her from Starbucks and I’ve not been a fan but then she makes it so sweet I would not be a fan if it were coffee!

We’re a bit later getting started than originally planned but I and two cohorts are doing an #IndianFoodPalooza starting Monday…please come and link up this beverage on my site then; it would be a fabulous addition. They are the experts but I’m excited about seeing everyone’s Indian dishes and trying out many things new to me.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 2, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Sounds great, I need to try cardamom. Can you believe I never had it? Not even sure what it tastes like. Love the recipe and your photo’s are gorgeous!

Cécy — March 2, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

This is now in my to do list. I love Oregon Chai Tea (hopefully I’m not offending any Indians). I love love cardamom, so I will have to try this.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — March 2, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

That is such a sweet tradition! And I just bought those same exact napkins from Pier 1! Love them…

• Sommer — March 3rd, 2012 @ 9:00 am

Ha! Um… I just have ONE of a lot of napkins for photos. But I especially love this one. :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 2, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

What a lovely chai tea. I can so see myself enjoying a cup of this with some biscotti. Thanks for sharing, Sommer. This is an interesting and informative post!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — March 2, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

I love anything chai. Hope you’re well!

Radhika > Just Home Made — March 2, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

Sommer, Loved reading your rendition of over doses of Indian chai..
    Chai is part and parcel of the basics of hospitality in India. When someone comes home, chai is always a saving grace when you have nothing else to offer in a jiffy..
    VIP nut! Hah… so very true.. brought a familiar smile to my face :)
    Ginger (fresh or dry) is a more common additive..

Priya Sreeram — March 2, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

ginger& cardamom is something that is very common in Indian chai -loved this spicy version too ! nice post sommer

Bonnie Banters — March 2, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

Wonderful! Sounds so comforting…thanks!

Diane {Created by Diane} — March 2, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

I’m so thirsty!!! You certainly made this look WONDERFUL!

Kim Bee — March 3, 2012 @ 12:55 am

This looks so inviting. With all the blustering going on outside my window I would really go for one of these to warm up. Looks fantastic.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 3, 2012 @ 3:17 am

How funny about the “vip” bit, I guess it’s really a special spice!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — March 3, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I love chai and your recipe sounds fantastic!

Aparna B. @ Not A Leaf — March 3, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

Definitely an interesting take on it! Your recipe is very similar to my mom’s except she doesn’t use the star anise. But there are so many varieties of chai! Thx for sharing :)

Alaiyo Kiasi — March 3, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Just beautiful!

Rowaida Flayhan — March 3, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

Delicious love your recipe

Carolyn — March 4, 2012 @ 6:35 am

I LOVE Chai tea. Better yet, made at home so I save some money!

sweetsugarbelle — March 5, 2012 @ 12:23 am

Had to lol at the servings…Chai is my fave, Sommer!

Nici — March 5, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Thanks for posting this. Can’t wait to try it! I was in India (for the first time) about two months ago. I’ve been told it’s very different now than it was even a few years ago. But I loved it.

Steve @ HPD — March 5, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

Kinda funny (or at least mildly interesting) that American traditions largely revolve around those once-a-year type things (Thanksgiving dinner, dressing up for Halloween, Easter Egg hunts, fireworks for the 4th of July), while the rest of the world has traditions that they serve up each and every day. Wonder why that is. The melting pot aspect?

vianney — March 6, 2012 @ 7:51 am

I love chai and it is really hard to find a great cup here in Texas. Who knew how easy is it to make, kinda embarrased I never searched out a recipe. Lucky me there it was in my Google reader, yay!

Howell — March 6, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Love Chai Tea! I’ll have to make this!

Lana — March 6, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Our LA food bloggers’ group just went on a tour of Little India and at the place we met, we were served chai. I had it before, but this one was so much better. I have all the ingredients and I will definitely make it, as I am switching from coffee to tea gradually.
    And I am more inclined to drink like Indians do, in smaller cups, but with the obligatory cardamom pod (I love and respect myself, of course)
    Love the photos!

Wendy from Suburban Misfit — March 6, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

Yes please! I’m a chai addict, but have never tried making my own. Thanks for the recipe!

Lynn — March 22, 2012 @ 9:20 am

I made this last night and I thought it was just ok. I think I would boil the spices a bit longer and then add the tea since 5 mins of boiling didn’t seem to be enough to bring out the flavors of the spices. It was very mild. I think this is a good starter recipe but I think there’s plenty of room to experiment, possibly add some ginger too. It could be that I’m just use to stronger spiced tea. Thanks for the recipe though!

• Sommer — March 22nd, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

No problem Lynn. I’m wondering if there is a chance some of your spices are old. If so, it might take longer to release there flavors…

Ngoc — January 5, 2013 @ 4:54 pm

Thanks for the recipe. In addition to your stated spices, I added 3 thick slices of fresh ginger, 1/2 t fennel seeds, 5 whole peppercorn into the boiling tea. I then added both sugar and milk and continued the boil for another 3 mins. Then I strained out the spices. This allowed the milk to pick up more flavor. It was perfect both hot and over ice! Thanks again!

Allison — May 28, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Love your post about chai! Also love the glass teacups you featured in the photos. Where did you purchase them????

Thanks!

Toni — May 30, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

Hi there!
    I have to tell you that I recently found your lovely recipe and made the tea for myself and my granddaughter. (She’s a tea connoisseur.) It was her first cup of authentic chai, and she said, “It tastes like a good donut!” That’s hIgh praise in her little world. Myself…well, I loved it, too. Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful chai recipe and the story behind it.
    Best,
    Toni

• Sommer — May 30th, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

Hi Toni, Thanks so much for your kind words. My little guys love it too!

Greg (artist) — July 19, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

I work part time as a waiter in a fantastic Indian restaurant in the Blue Mountains and I just love the traditional Chai that my boss only makes for staff, a real Chai will hit the back of your throat and liven you up, just perfect!

Barbara — August 23, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

We use cumin seed and cardamom

Amanda — September 4, 2013 @ 3:01 am

I have been searching for a chai tea recipe that would taste like the one my old boss used to make. After trying many recipes I found this one. It is perfect and so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing.

Surkhab — September 4, 2013 @ 5:16 am

Simply loved you photography.
    This tea looks tempting. Will try it for sure.

Pauline — September 9, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Really Thanks for this recipe. Having an Indian husband made me to search for a good chai recipe as he requested me one morning for a tea and I thought I want to give him something nice for his breakfast. It was a surprise for him, as he was used to have just tea bag, water and little bit of milk. He straight saw the difference and I was happy to see a smile on his face. Will definitely make it again :) xx

Alia — September 11, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

Hi,
    This recipe looks really good! Usually I just make a concentrate and refrigerate it. Can I do the same with this one? How long do you think I could refrigerate
    It for?

Thanks.

• Sommer — September 12th, 2013 @ 6:48 am

Hi Alla, I don’t see why not. Let me know how it goes. :)

• joneser — February 8th, 2014 @ 1:26 am

Add a few drops of Grape seed extract, it’s a power preservative

Sean McDine — October 20, 2013 @ 5:17 am

We make this at work. We use the same method but for this amount we would use:

4 cups water (boil for 15 not 5 mins)

1 extra star anise (total 2: broken into pieces to infuse)

1 bay leaf

1/4 vanilla bean

4 whole cloves

Remainer of ingredients and proceedure remains the same.

Rita — October 20, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

I live in a small town where would I buy those ingredients?

• Sommer — October 20th, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Hi Rita, you should be able to find everything you need at your local grocery store. If not, you could always order spices on line. :)

Cheryl — October 31, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

Hi, would it be okay to substitute the sugar for honey, agave, or artificial sweetner, and the milk for soy or almond milk (or none at all if possible)? Thanks!

• Sommer — November 1st, 2013 @ 6:01 am

Hi Cheryl, It’s possible to adjust this to meet your dietary needs, but it will change the flavor a bit. Good Luck! :)

• Dan Espinosa — February 21st, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

Best not to use agave, it will make you fat. Honey is ok, maple syrup is better. It’s not chai without milk; almond milk is ok, don’t use soy milk – over the years soy has become one of the most GMO intensive products.

scolock — November 12, 2013 @ 7:19 pm

Thank you much.
    super yummy.
    going to try a more potent brew next time. a longer steep.

Amy hill — November 20, 2013 @ 10:13 am

On the page I saw the recipe the amount of the ingredients was not showing. I would really like to make this tea, I love it.

Chella — January 1, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

Wow, this chai was really good! I didn’t have green cardamom so I used black instead. I normally use milk so I used half and half, and I felt the creaminess really complimented it! This is probably the best chai recipe I have ever used.

Sherry D — January 26, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

What a lovely post! I have been trying to find the perfect spice mix to get me started with chai. I am wondering what kind of black tea you use? Everyone seems to be different – from broken darjeeling, to orange pekoe, to lipton yellow label. All are “authentic” so I suppose it’s totally up to preference! So out of curiosity, what did you use? Thanks so much!

Sherry

• Sommer — January 26th, 2014 @ 9:57 pm

Hi Sherry, I usually buy it at the ethnic food store, so it’s not a specific brand. But I would go with whatever tea brand you usually prefer.

• Sherry D — January 26th, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

Okay, thank you. I am just learning my teas and I actually just recently figured out that Lipton Yellow Label is an orange pekoe. I thought orange pekoe was a specific leaf type, but apparently it’s just a standard for tea. I get so confused sometimes! I’ll have to check out the teas in the Indian section at the global food mart. :)

Shalley — January 27, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

I love coffee but need to give my adrenals a break. I’m switching to my tea of choice — *chai* and found your recipe. As it turns out I am a water buffalo farmer. We don’t milk ours but now I’m going to have to! The local Indian population literally begs us for buffalo milk, insisting they will buy every drop. This must be why. Thanks for the delicious recipe!

Prashanth — February 18, 2014 @ 9:11 am

Hello Sommer,
    Thanks for posting this.

A variant is ginger tea – usually prepared when someone has cold or sore throat. A little bit of ginger ( quantity depends on how much flavor you want- some like it light and some want it dominant) is added to water when you start boiling it. Rest of the process is the same.

The process of adding milk to boiled tea reminds me of titration in Chemistry lab. You will have to monitor the color change with every added drop of milk and have to stop at an exact point. The whole color change process is a thing of beauty.

I really hope you got to taste the roadside Chaiwalla’s chai if you went to Mumbai. You get a cup for 10 cents and it tastes like heaven. When I was traveling on work in 2008 with a German colleague, I drank the roadside tea, but was hesitant to recommend it to my colleague. He insisted on trying it and was hooked. He drank the roadside vendor’s tea 5 times a day everyday thereafter until we left India.

Darjeeling tea and Assam tea are some of the most popular (and expensive) ones. But buyers have to ensure that they are from Darjeeling and Assam respectively. Else, it will be like buying French Wine made in, well, anywhere outside of France.

Love, Peace and Chai!!

Hyde — March 15, 2014 @ 9:05 pm

This is off the topic of chai tea, but could you please tell me where you purchased the cups in the picture? I would love to have smaller tea/coffee cups.

• Sommer — March 16th, 2014 @ 10:21 am

Hi Hyde, I think they came from Home Goods a few years back. I’m not sure if they still have anything like that.

• Hyde — March 17th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

Thank you, at any rate.

Viveka Kyahti — March 21, 2014 @ 12:30 am

There are something like 4000 languages spoken in India, and almost as many ways to make chai. When I was there, the family I lived with taught me to make it with cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Sometimes I leave out the black tea, if I want to drink it after six pm.

Tonia — August 16, 2014 @ 2:14 am

I see you share interesting stuff here, you can earn some extra money, your website has big potential, for the monetizing method, just type
    in google – K2 advices how to monetize a website

Gaston — August 17, 2014 @ 10:43 pm

Thanks , I have recently been looking for info about this topic for ages and yours is the
    best I have came upon so far. But, what in regards to the bottom line?
    Are you certain concerning the supply?

1. Pingback: How to Make Chai Tea — A Spicy Perspective | Really interesting recipes | Scoop.it

2. Pingback: Indische chai - Indian chai - Amira op het web

3. Pingback: Tea and Tea Blends: Not Just for Grandmas « 2Shopper

4. Pingback: Indian inspired recipes and kitchen things | FoodOpera

5. Pingback: what’s been happening with me | 20 packs of paper

6. Pingback: Why Your Fall Starbucks Drink Order is Making You Fat: Soy, Pumpin-Spice or Chai Tea Latte, Anyone? | Eat Feel Fresh- A Healthy Food Blog

7. Pingback: Coffee: Where You Can't Find a Decent Cup - Travel Ideas, Destinations, Guides & Advice

8. Pingback: 14 Cozy Drink Alternatives to Coffee | Apcrunch

9. Pingback: 14 Cozy Drink Alternatives to Coffee | Technology Blog

10. Pingback: 14 Cozy Drink Alternatives to Coffee

11. Pingback: Sweet Spice Bread and a Chai Latte | Explore~Discover~Inspire

12. Pingback: Sleeping in Caves, a Conversation with Marilyn Stablein | Levitating Monkey

13. Pingback: International Tea: India | coffee * plus * tea

14. Pingback: How To Make Healthy Chai Tea | Our Blog - Healthy Lifestyle Tips - Power Foodz

15. Pingback: Make Amazing Chai | The Tea Spout

16. Pingback: Srinigar 1 | Jakartass Travels

17. Pingback: Srinagar 1 | Jakartass Travels

18. Pingback: The P&N blog. Designers: join and celebrate creativity together!

19. Pingback: Jaana Ahl’s Experience