Chocolate Espresso Pots de Creme with Espresso Whipped Cream

Pots de Creme

Rich and luxurious Chocolate Pots de Creme with a silky dollop of Espresso Creme on top! This no-oven pot de creme recipe is the perfect way to end an elegant meal.

In cooking, you can draw inspiration from just about anything. I’ve been eyeing these gorgeous little espresso cups from my favorite dish company, Villeroy & Boch.

Aren’t they fabulous?

Espresso Creme

…And I thought, nothing could fill them better than a smooth, creamy, chocolatey treat with an ample shot of espresso.

I’m not talking about a little pinch of coffee to accentuate the chocolate. I’m talking espresso in the forefront. And then, of course, more espresso on top. …With a chocolate covered espresso bean as a garnish.

Chocolate Pots de Creme

The problem was, these delicate little cups are made of porcelain.  I didn’t want to risk placing them in the oven (in a water bath) as you normally would for pots de creme.

So I decided to work up a stove-top recipe that would thicken and set, like a classic pot de creme recipe, without the oven time.

Pot de Creme Recipe

These Chocolate Pots de Creme with Espresso Creme topping, are not only a salute to the artistry of the cups they are served in, they are a celebration of rich dark flavors.

The kind of flavors that bring you to a stand still, then have you coming back for more.

Espresso Pots de Creme

Yield: 8 - 2 oz. servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes active time + 3 hours chill time

Pots de Creme ~ Espresso Creme

Chocolate Espresso Pots de Creme with Espresso Whipped Cream

For the Chocolate Pots de Creme:
5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped (or chips)
3 large egg yolks
3 Tb. granulated sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 cup heavy cream
5 Tb. milk
2 tsp. vanilla

For the Espresso Creme:
½ cup cold heavy cream
1 Tb. granulated sugar
1/3 tsp. instant espresso powder

For the Chocolate Espresso Pot de Crème: Place the chocolate in a blender and set a fine-mesh sieve over the top of the blender jar. Set aside.

Place the egg yolks, sugar, salt, espresso powder, cream and milk in a saucepan. Whisk well. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat. Stir and scrape the sides of the pan for 10-15 minutes, until it thickens. To test the consistency, dip a spoon into the mixture and drag your finger through it. If the line remains firm, it’s ready. *Do not let the custard simmer.

Pour the custard through the sieve into the blender jar. Allow the mixture to sit and melt the chocolate for 5 minutes. Place the lid on the blender, leaving it slightly jarred to vent. Puree until smooth, then add the vanilla and puree again.

Divide the mixture between 8 – 2 oz. espresso cups. Place a dishtowel on the counter and tap each espresso cup gently on the dishtowel to work the bubbles out of the custard.

Cool to room temperature. Then cover each espresso cup with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, but up to 1 week.

For the Espresso Whipped Cream: Using an electric mixer, whip the cream, sugar and instant espresso powder until light and fluffy. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Before serving, let the pots de crème stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Then dollop a tablespoon of whipped cream on top of each espresso cup and garnish with chocolate shavings or a chocolate covered espresso bean.

More Creamy Goodness:

Chocolate Pretzel Frozen Custard

Chocolate Raspberry Pots de Creme

Chocolate Malt Brownie Parfaits

Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Terrine ~ Sprinkle Bakes

Mint Cheesecake ~ Zoe Bakes

Honey Lemon Pots de Creme ~ Tartlette

46 Responses to “Chocolate Espresso Pots de Creme with Espresso Whipped Cream”

Belinda @zomppa — March 26, 2012 @ 5:35 am

Oh my gosh they are perfect! How I wish I finished every dinner with this.

sonia — March 26, 2012 @ 7:06 am

HI !
    Beautiful and simply adorable pots, great choice and lovely expresso recipe to complement. The chocolate bean is looking so cute… !
    CHeers, sonia

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 26, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Those little mugs and plates are incredibly cute. Love the bright colors in them, they remind me of the set my mom gave me from my dad’s mom who got them in India. Same bright colors.
    The chocolate inside definitely helps too ;)

Cassie — March 26, 2012 @ 7:57 am

These sound so perfect. What a great idea to cook them on the stovetop, I love it!

Debby maugans — March 26, 2012 @ 8:16 am

How beautiful!

The thought of not having to put the pudding through a hot water bath is wonderful to me! It looks delicious. I love espresso, well, coffee of any kind, so this would be a perfect romantic dinner for Hubby and me. Now I just need a sitter!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — March 26, 2012 @ 8:36 am

Gorgeous and so decadent!

Ambika — March 26, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Looks delicious!!! So creamy, love the texture!

Isabelle @ Crumb — March 26, 2012 @ 10:13 am

When it comes to coffee desserts, I’m a firm believer that stronger is better, so these little pots de creme are totally calling my name (and so are those cups, but that’s beside the point). :) Love the fact that even the cream is espresso flavoured… perfect!

Amanda — March 26, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Oh yum, Sommer!! I am swooning over your gorgeous photos!!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal — March 26, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Wow such a lovely creation! and the tea cups are gorgeous.

Victoria — March 26, 2012 @ 11:38 am

Not only are the espresso cups beautiful but so it what you’ve filled them with :) Really great presentation for these, and I’m glad you were able to come up with a stove-top version.

Kelly — March 26, 2012 @ 11:52 am

I love Pots de Creme but have never tried it with espresso. I bet it is phenomenal!

Megan — March 26, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Oh my, you are killing me with this!!!!!!!!!! It looks amazing, I’m trying it tonight! :)

Dee at Deelicious Sweets — March 26, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

These look absolutely decadent! I love your little cups too. They are so cute.

Chelsey S. — March 26, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

OH….MY……GOODNESS! I seriously just drooled on my keyboard. Can’t wait to try this!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — March 26, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Ahhhh…..these look absolutely amazing! I’m such a sucker for anything that combined chocolate & espresso.

P.S. I love the dishes!

tanja@tanjascookingcorner — March 26, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

Stunning little coffee desserts, served in absolutely adorable little cups. Think I am in love! :)

the wicked noodle — March 26, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

I love that you used pretty coffee mugs for this! And that espresso whipped cream sounds soooo good!

Lacy @ NYCityEats — March 26, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

These little espresso cups are just stunning! The pots de creme look gorgeous with the whipped topping & chocolate covered espresso bean. Really sounds like a delicious ending to an elegant meal. Wonderful recipe!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — March 26, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

Pots de Creme where the first elegant dessert I made for the first dinner party I had planned when I was a young girl in her 20′s. A wonderful older friend assured me that it would be perfect despite my protestations of, ‘It’s really just chocolate pudding, right?’

I learned the answer firsthand how wrong I was and this luscious dessert remains a favorite to this day.Espresso whipped cream? Absolutely!

Mrs. Measurement — March 26, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

Looks delish! Also, I absolutely LOVE your espresso cups! The set is gorgeous.

Abby — March 26, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Absolutely beautiful!! What a luxurious treat to sit and enjoy :)

Petra — March 26, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

This is so beautiful! Thanks for linking to the source of the espresso cups, they are so lovely and bright! I can’t wait to try this recipe :)

Judy@Savoring Today — March 26, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

The best part of food blogging is that first bite … yeah, I saw it there on the spoon, the first taste, gone with nary a witness. ;) Love this recipe! Wish I had a spoon to join you.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 26, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Oh yum! Chocolate and Espresso, I couldn’t think of a better combination! Sounds fab!!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — March 26, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

GORGEOUS! So thick and creamy. Coffee and chocolate are my ideal treat!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 26, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I love the pretty dishes! They really make these so pretty. Also, lovely recipe!

Russell at Chasing Delicious — March 26, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

Ooh. Every time I come across a pots de creme recipe I think, “what’s that,” and then, “I’ve got to try it!” Now that you’ve made an chocolate and espresso version I’m kinda very tempted to try this mystery dessert out.

cooking rookie — March 26, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

Wonderful recipe! Something to definitely make ;-)

Kiri W. — March 26, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Oh how I love pots de creme! Espresso sounds like a fantastic flavoring :) Mmmm!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — March 26, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

I am making these ASAP! Lovely

Monet — March 26, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

Just lovely! Can I have one please? And I especially love the china you served them in. So bright and colorful. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a blessed week, my friend.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 26, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I love these so much, I need a new word for love! And I adore those little cups!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 27, 2012 @ 1:07 am

Bookmarking these! I love how quick they are to make.

vianney — March 27, 2012 @ 3:39 am

How precious are those cups, so dainty and sweet. I love pots de creme and seem to only make them in Feb, lol. The whipped cream is heaven! love,love,love..

Cookin' Canuck — March 27, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Those espresso cups are absolutely beautiful. And those pots de creme…irresistible, Sommer!

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) — March 27, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I could go for a swim in one of those! ;)

Deanna — March 27, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

Those are such pretty cups! I would get a set but I’m rapidly running out of storage.

Coco — July 18, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

Oh MY, those look wicked good!

Gail — July 24, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

Those cups are adorable (love all things VB), and the perfect thing for pots de creme! I always make my pots de creme on the stovetop — I think the texture is more consistently creamy. TIP: aim for heating the stovetop mixture to 160F for egg safety. I always hand stir my chocolate to melt… does blenderizing add some mousse-iness? Best thing about finding this post? I’ve made chocolate/espresso truffles, but now espresso pdc? Ohhh! Thanks!

Kasey — December 14, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

I was wondering if you could remake this recipe with chilli and/or nutmeg in it.. Something to add a little holiday cheer even. Beautiful and great job.

• Sommer — December 14th, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

Hi Kasey, I would think so. Sounds delish!

1. Pingback: Homemade gourmet comfort food recipes | MondoMom

2. Pingback: Villeroy & Boch Blog Recipe: Chocolate Espresso Pots de Crème with Espresso Whipped Creme — Villeroy & Boch Blog

3. Pingback: Chocolate Espresso Pots de Creme with Espresso Whipped Cream Recipe | Best Friends For Frosting