Toffee Nut Pancakes
This recipe is because I love you. I do. I would not serve Toffee Nut Pancakes to just anyone…
You may have heard the end of Linda Anderson’s poem:
“Obligation can pour a glass of milk, but quite often, love adds a little chocolate.”
Think of these pancakes as a parallel. Obligation (or perfectionism) can offer a killer pancake, but love adds English toffee bits and pecans.
Sorry to be so sappy today… I don’t know what came over me. *wink*
I wrote a guest post for my friend Angie, of Eclectic Recipes, last year including a recipe for “Perfect Diner Pancakes.” This was a pancake recipe I’d been working on for a while, because homemade pancakes often don’t have the same appeal as old-fashioned diner pancakes.
After a bit of what we’ll call “research,” I discovered diner, or soda-shop pancakes, were/are generally made with malted milk powder as a flavor enhancer.
If you have never eaten pancakes with malted milk powder, you are truly missing out. The deep, yet airy, malt flavor will warp you straight back to childhood in a moment’s time. It’s distinct. It’s the thing that makes you say, “Now THIS is a proper pancake!” as you sit at the soda counter swinging you legs in youthful bliss.
Now then… add English toffee bits and chopped pecans to an already perfect pancake recipe, and you’ve got something completely irresistible.
You’ve got LOVE on a plate.
Toffee Nut Pancakes ARE the perfect pancakes, in my opinion. Rich buttery flavors, light and fluffy texture, cake-y enough to absorb as much syrup as you like, without dissolving.
Exceptional pancakes send a clear message. Share them with caution.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Toffee Nut Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup malted milk powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup English toffee bits
- Heat the griddle (or a large non-stick skillet) to medium-high.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk to blend. In a smaller bowl, whisk the milk, egg, and vanilla until frothy.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry mix and whisk until smooth; then whisk in the melted butter and the end.
- Allow the pancake batter to rest for 3-5 minutes before cooking to thicken. It should be so thick that it barely pours. Once the griddle is hot, stir in the pecans and toffee bits.
- Make one pancake as a test-batch to ensure your heat in accurate. Use a 1/4 or 1/3 cup scoop to ladle the batter onto the griddle. Cook for 1-3 minutes per side. Flip when small bubbles rise to the top of the batter. If the pancake turns dark too quickly, lower the heat. Makes 8-10 pancakes.
More Breakfast Breakthroughs:
Hash Brown Omelet Skillets ~ Never Enough Thyme
Zucchini and Goat Cheese Frittata ~ Rustic Garden Bistro
Follow my “Breakfast Breakthroughs” Board on Pinterest!!
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
43 Responses to “Toffee Nut Pancakes”
Pingback: Toffee Nut Pancakes | Breakfast Recipe