Homemade Valentine Trail Mix with PRINTABLE Tags for Kids

Homemade Trail Mix

After Monday’s post, Chocolate Pomegranate Petit Fours, which are very chic, yet very time consuming, I thought I’d post something quick and easy. No cooking or baking today; just a simple dump and stir homemade trail mix recipe that makes an exciting Valentine snack to send to school.

This Valentine snack is a great filler for goodie bags. Mix the homemade trail mix, scoop into snack-sized bags, then add a fun tag.

Generally, I’m NOT very crafty. The craftiest I get is making paper flowers for cupcake toppers or trying to paint fondant gnomes. So if  I can create Valentine cards with my kids, YOU can make Valentine cards too!

For these sweet Valentine bag tags, I used clip art from Cocoa Mint, and online store that offers cute clean graphics and printable invitations, party supplies, and digital backgrounds. The clip art allowed me to FEEL crafty, when really all I did was cut and paste …with my mouse. Thanks Cocoa Mint!

You can make your own, or use mine. Either way, this Valentine Snack will be the hit of the party.

To Use My Tags:

• Click Here to Print. (Cardstock recommended.)
  • Cut each sheet in half, then trim approximately 3/4 inch off each side to match the width of the snack bags.
  • Fold each card in half and use glue dots or a stapler to attach them to the tops of the bags. (We also used a paper punch to round the corners.)
  • Voila!

Nut Free Trail Mix

This is a great Saturday project. The kids literally did everything from mixing to glue-dotting. They are SO excited to share these original Valentines with their friends.

Valentine Trail Mix

This homemade trail mix has all the right ingredients for pure Valentine joy. I left out the nuts in traditional trail mix to keep it safe for the classroom, but the pretzels offer a salty bite to balance the sweetness. This is good stuff!

Yield: 34 - 1/2 cup servings

Homemade Trail Mix ~ Valentine Snack

4 cups miniature pretzels
4 cups Strawberry Yogurt Cherrios (or favorite cereal)
3 cups (1 box) Chocolate Teddy Grahams
2 cups dried cherries or cranberries
2 cups yogurt covered raisins
2 cups Valentine M&Ms

Dump all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix.

Use a 1/2 cup scoop to pour into snack-size zip bags.

More Valentine Ideas:

Rose Cake ~ I Am Baker

Peanut Butter Heart Cookies ~ Created By Diane

Red Velvet Cheesecake Milkshakes ~ The Novice Chef

Strawberry Lemonade Vodka ~ Live Love Pasta

65 Responses to “Homemade Valentine Trail Mix with PRINTABLE Tags for Kids”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 2, 2012 @ 5:55 am

Aww love those tags! This sounds awesome.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 2, 2012 @ 5:56 am

Usually I’m pretty “eh” about trail mix but this is one I would definitely be eating by the handfuls!

the wicked noodle — February 2, 2012 @ 6:09 am

SO adorable!! I’m not crafty at all either but these are too cute to pass up. Our school won’t let the kids exchange any type of food with other kids so I may have to make these a neighborhood treat!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — February 2, 2012 @ 7:46 am

Those tags are awesome! Those kids are going to be so happy to get this trail mix! :-)

Amy — February 2, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Sommer, This is a cute v-day idea for the kiddos. I think I will make some up to take to the doctor’s staff that I call on for work. Everyone needs a little v-day treat. :)

Liz — February 2, 2012 @ 9:18 am

SO cute and yummy! You are MUCH craftier than I am, but I think I could do this!

Lauren — February 2, 2012 @ 9:28 am

Such a cute idea!!

Jeanette — February 2, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Super cute idea Sommer! I’m sure these would be a hit at any kid’s Valentine’s Day party.

Carolyn — February 2, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Love the little packs all made up with labels like that. So cute!

Steve @ the black peppercorn — February 2, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Adorable. I love the line “follow the trail to my heart” – so very clever!

leslie — February 2, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

What a cute idea!!

Erica — February 2, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

Wow, I totally forgot about Teddy Grahams. I LOVE those things!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 2, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Cute and tasty idea! So much better than all of the candy options I’m seeing at the stores.

Kiri W. — February 2, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

Oh yum! I’d love top be the recipient of one of these :) Love the pink M*Ms int his/

Terese — February 2, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

What a cute idea, Sommer! LOVE!

Cassie — February 2, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

This is so fun. I love the festive M&M’s. Perfect gift!

Lacy @ NYCityEats — February 2, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

This is sooo adorable! I love it, I think all of the ingredeients in the mix are great too. Awesome idea!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — February 2, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

Oh my! This looks like such a cute idea, Sommer!

carolinaheartstrings — February 2, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

How cute those bags and tags are. They would be a hit at my daughter’s dance studio. Come visit. We have a fat free sweet potato souffle and a great quinoa recipe this week.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 3, 2012 @ 12:46 am

OMG!!! Sommer, these look too cute!! Love the personal touches using tags :)

Toni @ Boulder Locavore — February 3, 2012 @ 7:29 am

This is such a clever idea Sommer! It looks so fun especially with all your personal touches. I am still saturated on sweets from the holiday so this would be a great solution for Valentine’s Day snacks. Will have to think of how to switch it up to be gluten free.

Joy — February 3, 2012 @ 8:05 am

The tags are adorable.

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — February 3, 2012 @ 8:45 am

Very, very cute idea. I can see this winning may hearts!

Cookin' Canuck — February 3, 2012 @ 9:56 am

My kids would love to find a bag of this trail mix in their lunch boxes! I am decidedly uncrafty, too, but am now wondering if I could pull off these cute tags. Thanks for the great idea!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — February 3, 2012 @ 11:01 am

What a cute idea!!! I don’t have kids, but I have a niece and a plethora of nephews. I will pass this along as I think this would be a cute hand out for the kids in their classes.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — February 3, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Very cute idea. Just passed this along to some of the mom’s in my office :)!

anne — February 3, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

this is so cute, I’m sending it to my sister-in-law for her girls to use!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — February 3, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Lovely idea!
    I would love some to nibble at now…

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — February 3, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

That is SO ridiculously cute!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 3, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Super cute idea and a healthier sweet treat for kids on Valentines Day.

Dmarie — February 4, 2012 @ 3:55 am

such a cute idea. thx, Spicy!

Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — February 5, 2012 @ 12:54 am

These are adorably cute and innovative! Well done.

Alaiyo Kiasi — February 5, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

Very cute idea, and a nice activity to complete with children.

Deb — February 5, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

My daughters and I are going to do this for Valentine’s Day! We even found heart shaped Cherrios! I found the girl clip art on Cocoa Mint, but am embarrassed to say that I don’t know how to change out the boy for the girl….any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!!!!

• Sommer — February 6th, 2012 @ 12:04 am

Hey Deb, I’ll email you the original…

• Vicky — February 8th, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Hi, would you be able to send me the original as well? I would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

RisaG — February 9, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

what an adorable idea. I am going to make this trail mix to send with my son on Valentine’s Day. Or I’ll have it here waiting for him when he comes home (at 16 it might embarrass him at school). Looks so delicious and fun.

Peggy — February 12, 2012 @ 7:55 am

What a genius idea!

Debbie — September 25, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

Are these free printables still available ?

• Sommer — September 26th, 2012 @ 5:11 am

Yes they are. Let me know if you are having trouble printing. :)

Cheryl — January 10, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Hi Sommer,

Have to comment sorry. I came across this on Pinterest. Want to mention that while you “left out” the nuts to make this snack “safe” for the classroom, its actually NOT (if targeting nut allergies). Several of the ingredients are EXTREMELY high risk for an allergic reaction for anyone with a peanut / tree nut allergy (may actually contain the allergens).

Cannot find the Pin at the moment. Had tried to comment on it earlier. The Pinterest label calls this a “Nut free and safe snack for the classroom.”

Sorry ….. but otherwise its very cute.

• Diane — January 28th, 2013 @ 6:45 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking!

• Susan — February 7th, 2013 @ 7:57 am

Agree. Many of these items were made in a facility that also makes things with Nuts; M&M’s & yogurt covered raisins being the big ones.

Very cute though :)

Shawna — February 13, 2013 @ 10:44 am

Hi! Can you email the printable tag to me? For some reason I’m unable to open the link you post. Thanks.

Amy — July 25, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

Just thought I’d let you know I included a link to your trail mix on my personal blog. Such a cute idea! Thanks for the post!

Amy Senter

Anita Carol Gambrell — January 17, 2014 @ 8:15 am

Thank you for this great idea! We will do this for the Headstart classes!

Victoria — January 25, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

Can I ask how many snack bags you were able to make with these ingredients?

Also, what program did you use to make those adorable tags?

Thanks!

• Sommer — January 26th, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

Hi Victoria, about 34 1/2 cup servings.

Honestly, I think I just pulled the graphics into a word doc!

Chris — February 8, 2014 @ 2:26 pm

These are lovely and the snack mix is awesome, but the tags are such a waste of paper, I cut off more than I used.

• Sommer — February 8th, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

Hey Chris,

Both are supposed to be on one sheet–not sure what happened! I’ll see if I can change it back for future users.

Camilla Garrett — February 10, 2014 @ 12:18 am

Hi! I just made this cute Valentine trail mix and it’s adorable! Thanks for the free printable and the recipe. I had to tweak a few things since I couldn’t find a couple exact items in my grocery, but close enough. So fun! Just wanted to say THANKS!

Camilla

envelopes for wedding invitations — September 24, 2014 @ 6:41 am

hey there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly picked up anything
    new from right here. I did however expertise a few
    technical isues using this web site, since I experienced to reload the site a lot of
    times previous to I could get iit to load properly.

I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am
    complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very
    frequently affect youjr placement in google andd can damage your
    high-quality score if adss and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and could look outt
    for much more of youur respective fascinating content. Make
    sure you update this again soon.

1. Pingback: MiszelkowySchowek's soup

2. Pingback: Handmade Valentines Ideas

3. Pingback: Happy Valentine’s Day Trail Mix «

4. Pingback: Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » 101 Valentine’s Day Treat Ideas

5. Pingback: 20 Blogs with the Best Make Your Own Valentine Ideas | Babysitters

6. Pingback: 20 Blogs with the Best Make Your Own Valentine Ideas

7. Pingback: Valentine's Day Party Planner

8. Pingback: 20 Blogs with the Best Make Your Own Valentine Ideas | TeacherTime123

9. Pingback: Topiary Intro | Adventures in Motherhood

10. Pingback: Homemade Valentine Trail Mix with PRINTABLE Tags for Kids - Couponing as a lifestyleCouponing as a lifestyle

11. Pingback: DIY Valentines For Kids ~ 5 Fun And Easy Ideas! | Child Mode

12. Pingback: thursday things - the improved door, limited edition oreos, and a valentines round up | wee eats