Creamy French Onion Soup. The marriage of two wonderful creations: Cream of Onion Soup and our favorite Easy French Onion Soup Recipe.
I have two early memories of soup from my childhood.
The first is of my mother picking me up from a preschool that looked like a little covered wagon on top of a hill. She would bring me home and make tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I remember the giddy anticipation and restlessness I felt, waiting the 15 minutes it took to prepare.
My second soup memory, was the first time I tasted a French Onion Soup Recipe.
When I was small, my parents took me to fund raiser called Souper Sunday. Area restaurants would provide cauldrons of their best soups and people would come to sip and take part in a silent auction.
I remember looking up at a man in a tall funny white hat as he handed me a bowl of dark broth, half-covered with bread and cheese. As I dipped into my cup, scooping up bits of onion, bread saturated with rich beef stock, and cheese, I suddenly felt like I was being let in on a marvelous secret. The complexity of the winey stock, along with the slippery slivers of onion and salty beef essence, had me at first taste.
This would forever be my favorite soup.
This week, I wanted to prepared a smooth creamy version of my favorite French Onion Soup Recipe. This amalgamation of Cream of Onion Soup and my Easy French Onion Soup Recipe is a lovely diversion from the original.
With the silky texture of Cream of Onion Soup and and deep complexity of a good French Onion Soup Recipe, this creamy variety is giving my beloved favorite a run for the money.
Because of the thickness of the soup, I decided it would benefit from a light crispy topping, instead of the traditional over-sized crouton. Here we have puff pastry “Cheese Pillows” to float on each cup. This soup is oh so delightful, and is sure to be a new favorite in your house!
Because this French Onion Soup Recipe is pureed, don’t worry about perfect slices of onion, just chop them roughly.
You can use beef stock if you like, but I find using Beef Base allows me to create a stronger beef flavor. Beef Base is highly concentrated beef stock.
No immersion blender? You can also use a stand blender, but be careful. Work in small batches, and place a towel over the OPEN vent in the lid. That way the steam can escape, but you don’t get sprayed with hot soup.
French Onion Soup Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Creamy French Onion Soup with Cheese Pillows
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Beef Base Paste
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 Bouquet Garni (small fresh herb bouquet with thyme and a bay leaf)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3-1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- In a large saucepan, add the butter and saute the onions, potato and garlic over medium heat, until soft and brown, NOT burned. This may take 30+ minutes; add 1 tablespoon of honey about 15 minutes in, to help caramelize. Lower the heat if needed.
- De-glaze the pan with 2 cups wine. Then add the water, beef base, and bouquet garni.
- Simmer another 15 minutes, then remove the bouquet garni and puree with an immersion blender.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cream. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie cutter of glass to cut out 8+ circles the size of your serving cups.
- Sprinkle with Fontina cheese and bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden and fluffy.
- Serve the soup with a cheese pillow on top of each cup.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Sensational Soups:
Rosemary Red Bean Soup ~ An Edible Mosaic
Roasted Tomato Soup ~ The Hungry Housewife
Irish Beef Stew ~ The Little Kitchen