Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, using whole grain pasta, scores winning points on the home front.
On Super Bowl Sunday our house was filled with eager friends and enticing food. We had wings and sliders and a variety of finger foods and cakes, but the dish that seemed to get the most attention was a dip.
Ahem … a dip that I did not make.
I don’t mind being shown up. After tasting our friend Eric’s Buffalo Chicken Dip, my mind starting churning with inspiration. This dip would taste great with nearly anything, so why not use it as a springboard for other recipes?
Like creamy buffalo chicken dip and pasta, for instance.
This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is incredible.
With tender chunks of chicken, bits of sweet bell pepper, fresh green onion, and a rich zippy cheese sauce, it is a true crowd-pleaser.
It is so easy to prepare, you’ll be more than happy to whip it up when your family begs for it over and over!
And trust me, they will.
With a brick of cream cheese, store-bought hot wing sauce, and good-quality blue cheese dressing, you can make a truly amazing cheese sauce to pour over your pasta.
You can also make a light version of Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese by adding low-fat cream cheese and reduced-calorie dressing. In addition, Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a great way to use up leftover chicken.
COOK’S NOTES: If buying pre-shredded cheese, make sure to select one without fillers that melts well.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 13 ounce box pasta (shells, penne or rotini)
- 1 pound cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small bell peppers, red and yellow, seeded and diced
- 1 bunch chopped green onions, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 cup GOOD blue cheese dressing
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Buffalo Hot Wing Sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided (cheddar, mozzarella or a blend)
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Boil the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Add the cooked chicken, chopped bell peppers, 3/4 of the green onions, and 2 1/4 cups of shredded cheese to the baking dish. Mix well.
- Place the garlic, cream cheese, blue cheese dressing and 1/2 cup hot wing sauce in a food processor. Puree until smooth, taste and add another 1/4 cup hot wing sauce if needed. Pour over the pasta and toss.
- Mix the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and the panko together. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle with the remaining green onions.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, approximately 30-40 minutes.
Is this your first time visiting A Spicy Perspective?
Stay a while, poke around, and find more great recipes such as:
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to get weekly updates of New Recipes!
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
275 Responses to “Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese”
Pingback: mac and cheese | Pearltrees
Pingback: Creamy Buffalo Mac and Cheese
Pingback: 6 Ways To Prepare Mac and Cheese