Tropical Smoothies

Tropical Smoothies

These are not your average Tropical Smoothies. Packed with mango, papaya, coconut, banana, dates, and macadamia nuts; this smoothie recipe was destined to be on your breakfast table.

Do you believe in fate?

I’m not sure I exactly believe in fate, but I do believe these smoothies were meant-to-be.

Last month the hubs and I were very fortunate to spend some time in Hawaii. The island of Kauai is a lush rain forest with rolling green peaks and waterfalls nearly everywhere you look. Two other things you are sure to find, along every meandering country road, are wild chickens (really) and smoothie shacks.

Smoothie Shack

This particular Fruit Stand/Smoothie Shack was our personal favorite, nestled in the brush along the road going up to the North shore. Every time we stopped here we tested a different variety. That is, until we met DATE WITH FATE.

These rightly named tropical smoothies are loaded with fresh fruit, macadamia nuts and DATES. “Date With Fate” is not your standard super-sweet smoothie recipe. These babies are hearty, with a satisfying complexity that will keep you coming back for more. The roasted macadamia nut flavor and touch of salt, combined with the earthy flavor of the dates and bright tropical fruits, creates something magical. Plus, they are naturally gluten free and dairy free, using coconut milk and rice milk as the base.

Spouting Horn

My copy-cat version has been a life-saver since we’ve returned home to the cold barren mountains. Every sip of these tropical smoothies takes me right back to that picnic table under the palm trees.

Date SmoothieCoconut Smoothie

The key here is to cut and freeze all the ingredients a day (or at least a few hours) ahead and to prep enough for several smoothies. This recipe makes 10 large or 12 regular smoothies.  You WILL want another one, trust me.

Date Smoothie

Yield: 8-10 servings

Tropical Smoothies

AKA Date with Fate

2 - 14 oz. cans lite unsweetened coconut milk
2 ripe mangoes
2 ripe papayas
3 bananas
1 lb. roasted macadamia nuts
30 dates
10 cups rice milk (Rice Dream)

Shake the cans of coconut milk to mix. Then pour the coconut milk into two ice cube trays (standard ice cube trays with 16 cubes per tray.) Place in the freezer.

Cut a small slit in each date and remove the pit.

Peel and cut the bananas into chunks the same size as the coconut ice cubes.

Peel, seed, and chop the mangoes and papayas into chunks the size of the coconut ice cubes.

Place all items, including the macadamia nuts, into zip bags and place in the freezer, until frozen solid. Keep the rice milk in the fridge.

For EACH smoothie, place in the blender: 3 coconut milk cubes, 2 mango chunks, 2 papaya chunks, 1 banana chunk, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 3 dates, 1 cup rice milk.

Puree until smooth and thick.

Date With Fate

More Great Breakfast Ideas:

Jamaican Johnny Cakes

Perfect Diner Pancakes

Dutch Babies With Mulberr-Rhubarb Compote

Chocolate and Milk Toast ~ Gourmande in the Kitchen

Morning Glory Muffins ~ My Baking Addiction

Chocolate Cherry Cinnamon Buns ~ Mommie Cooks

64 Responses to “Tropical Smoothies”

RisaG — February 9, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

These look so good. I have a bag of dates in the cupboard and all the fruits are easily gotten at the market here. Next time papaya and mangoes are on sale, I will buy and then freeze them. I have never been to Hawaii but I know a few people who live there. Your pictures are sooo pretty. I want to go.

Danijela — March 8, 2012 @ 5:03 am

Hello,
    this smoothie looks perfect. It has so many delicious ingredients that I usually love. It must be delicious. Great recipe, thanks.

Mary@FitandFed — March 28, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

This looks so much better than your average smoothie. I also like a really cold smoothie (more like sorbet) that starts with a lot of frozen ingredients. The dates, frozen coconut milk, and macadamia nuts are genius.

Mary@FitandFed — March 28, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

NanaBread (Jeanne) — April 18, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

The Complete Package and I vacationed in Hanalei Bay and hit this smoothie stand at least 5 times during the week. Our favorite – the Date With Fate. How did I miss this post when you published it? Of all the recipes! Not only is it THE drink, but it’s THE smoothie shack. Incredible. I hope you had as wonderful a time on Kauai as we did. What a wonderful piece of paradise; especially the north shore.

Aaron — June 15, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

Loved this recipe, and will add it to my “Best macadamia Nut Recipes” blog over at Squidoo! I Used fresh Hawaii macadamia nuts for this recipe. I get mine from http://www.maunakeagold.com. In my opinion, Hawaii produces the best Mac Nuts!

Jimmye — July 19, 2012 @ 12:07 am

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Standing at my counter peeling and cutting up the mango & papaya, I thought to myself… this better be good. Shall I say very loudly, the Tropical Smoothie is not good, it is delicious and positively the best smoothie I have ever tasted. I always freeze my fruit: bananas, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, grapes, nectarines, peaches… you name it, I freeze it. The flavors of the coconut, dates, mango, banana & papaya along with the macadamia nuts is the perfect combo. Thank you so much for posting this wonderful recipe. The best part, I have a freezer shelf full of ‘ready to blend’ Tropical Smoothies. :))

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — March 21, 2013 @ 6:18 am

Mmm…my kinda smoothie, Sommer! Honeymooned in Hawaii (including Kauai, Maui & the Big Island with excursion to Lanai). Kauai was just lush. So green and beautiful. Thank you for adapting this recipe and for sharing! xo

Brianne Collier — April 25, 2013 @ 10:36 am

I’m obsessed with paper straws! Those look amazing!!

Aggie — April 25, 2013 @ 10:41 am

I absolutely love dates!! What a delicious sounding smoothie Sommer, love it!

April Hunter — May 16, 2013 @ 6:07 am

Lovely….My husband has recently complained that I’m not feeding him enough fruit and vegetables….maybe I’ll do this for his breakfasts!

Ashley Newton — August 8, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

I just got back from Kauai and I miss this fruit stand to much! I was farming just down the road from there….ah- sweetness! In my longing I will make the ‘date with fate’. Thank you!

1. Pingback: Banana Pudding Milkshake | A Spicy Perspective