These are not your average Tropical Smoothies. Packed with mango, papaya, coconut, banana, dates, and macadamia nuts; this smoothie recipe was destined to be on your breakfast table.
Do you believe in fate?
I’m not sure I exactly believe in fate, but I do believe these smoothies were meant-to-be.
Last month the hubs and I were very fortunate to spend some time in Hawaii. The island of Kauai is a lush rain forest with rolling green peaks and waterfalls nearly everywhere you look. Two other things you are sure to find, along every meandering country road, are wild chickens (really) and smoothie shacks.
This particular Fruit Stand/Smoothie Shack was our personal favorite, nestled in the brush along the road going up to the North shore. Every time we stopped here we tested a different variety. That is, until we met DATE WITH FATE.
These rightly named tropical smoothies are loaded with fresh fruit, macadamia nuts and DATES. “Date With Fate” is not your standard super-sweet smoothie recipe. These babies are hearty, with a satisfying complexity that will keep you coming back for more. The roasted macadamia nut flavor and touch of salt, combined with the earthy flavor of the dates and bright tropical fruits, creates something magical. Plus, they are naturally gluten free and dairy free, using coconut milk and rice milk as the base.
My copy-cat version of these tropical smoothies has been a life-saver since we’ve returned home to the cold barren mountains. Every sip of these tropical smoothies takes me right back to that picnic table under the palm trees.
The key here is to cut and freeze all the ingredients a day (or at least a few hours) ahead and to prep enough for several tropical smoothies. This recipe makes 10 large or 12 regular smoothies. You WILL want another one, trust me.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time:25 minutes
AKA Date with Fate
- Shake the cans of coconut milk to mix. Then pour the coconut milk into two ice cube trays (standard ice cube trays with 16 cubes per tray.) Place in the freezer.
- Cut a small slit in each date and remove the pit. Peel and cut the bananas into chunks the same size as the coconut ice cubes.
- Peel, seed, and chop the mangoes and papayas into chunks the size of the coconut ice cubes.
- Place all items, including the macadamia nuts, into zip bags and place in the freezer, until frozen solid. Keep the rice milk in the fridge.
- For EACH smoothie, place in the blender: 3 coconut milk cubes, 2 mango chunks, 2 papaya chunks, 1 banana chunk, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, 3 dates, 1 cup rice milk. Puree until smooth and thick.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Great Breakfast Ideas:
Chocolate and Milk Toast ~ Gourmande in the Kitchen
Morning Glory Muffins ~ My Baking Addiction
Chocolate Cherry Cinnamon Buns ~ Mommie Cooks