Pineapple Sugarcane Spa Water

Pineapple Sugarcane Water

This refreshing beverage will have you lounging in a lush imaginary spa in moments. Pineapple Sugarcane Water quenches, hydrates, and puts your mind at ease.

Welcome 2012! I am SO glad you’re here.

2011 was a real challenge for my family; possibly the hardest year we’ve ever had. I don’t generally discuss such things here because I figure you come for great recipes and a good read, not to hear my sorrowful whoas. Even so, in the spirit of honesty, I thought you should know it has not been all unicorns and lollipops in the Collier household.

Without going into great detail, let me tell you, I have sprouted a few gray hairs this year, have learned several scarring lessons at the school of hard knocks, and have whispered a prayer of forgiveness, for myself and others, more times than I’d like to admit.

Maui Waterfall

Yet, I have many things to be thankful for. My family is united. My babies are healthy. I have loyal friends. And I’ve been able to meet several personal and business goals in the midst of the trails. Gratefulness is a quality that I believe will get you far in life. Through all the struggles, I have tried to keep my eyes open to all the blessings around me.

December offered us the light at the end of the dark 2011 tunnel. My husband and I were able to take a trip away to rest and recoup. Once we returned, we  spent time with family (who live very far away) for the holidays. I find that rest and people who love you unconditionally are medicine to the soul.

Rainbow Eucalyptus

So now as we move into 2012, I feel more than ever, that this year is a fresh start. A time to move beyond the past and into something new. A time to set goals for the year, and boundaries, where needed. A time to reflect, making sure not to repeat past mistakes. A time to cleanse… spirit, soul, and body.

Spa Water Recipe

We often cleanse our bodies in January:  setting health goals, making better choices in what we eat, and upping our activity level. This year, along with my normal January bodily cleanse, I plan to cleanse my mindset and my schedule as well, getting rid of mentalities and activities that only bring clutter and stress. This may be a challenge, but I believe it will help me move into a healthier place in all aspects of life.

On the topic of cleansing, here’s a little something to cleanse the palate…

This Pineapple Sugarcane Water recipe is hardly a recipe at all. It takes just a couple minutes to mix and is SO refreshing. The touch of fruity flavor, acidity, and sweetness will keep you drinking ounces and ounces of water all month.

Pineapple Water Recipe

Pineapple Sugarcane Water is something my hubby and I discovered at our hotel in Maui last month. It became an instant favorite, the most thirst-quenching beverage around.

I pray 2012 is a year filled with health in all areas of our lives.

Plus lots of smiles, laughs and great meals!

Yield: 6 servings

Pineapple Sugarcane Water

2 liters purified water
2 sticks sugar cane
4-5 large chunks fresh pineapple
ice

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher. Stir.

The longer the water sits, the more the pineapple and sugarcane flavors will infused into it.

MORE HEALTH-CONSCIOUS RECIPES:

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Mustard

Zucchini Mango and Green Chutney Salad

Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup

Saffron Pear Baked Oatmeal ~ Family Fresh Cooking

Citrus Cucumber Water ~ She Wears Many Hats

Cabbage Orange Salad ~ Elana’s Pantry

53 Responses to “Pineapple Sugarcane Spa Water”

leslie — January 2, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Sorry you had a crappy year :(
    I am sure 2012 will be much better.
    That spa water sounds so very refreshing!

Steve @ HPD — January 2, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Here’s the thing about bad years: you don’t remember the hardships, only the good times.

It’s like breaking your arm. You know it must have hurt, but you can’t really remember the pain … only the attention from the nurses when you got the cast on, or getting doted on when you got home.

2009 was my (our) bad year. But looking back, I only remember how much I grew during it.

Cheers and happy 2012

Nancy Long — January 2, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

I can empathize with your year – mine hasn’t been great either, but here’s to hoping for a much better 2012. The one plus of 2011 was the surprise arrival of our first great-grandchild. Just when we thought he might be lost from our lives, one of my sons, who had never been blessed with children, said he and his wife would like to adopt him; so he is now our 17th grandchild! Hooray!

• Sommer — January 2nd, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

Nancy, thanks for sharing that ~ What an inspirational story! Children are such a blessing.

vianney — January 2, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

Sommer, sending you well wishes for 2012!! a refreshing way to begin the new year!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 2, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Here’s hoping that 2012 brings you and your family much health and happiness! So glad you had a chance to get away and enjoy some time with your husband after a rough year.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 2, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Hoping your 2012 is awesome!! Love that you wrote such a personal post. I have enjoyed getting to know you

Eliot — January 2, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Hope 2012 is good to you. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Curt — January 2, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

Ah, clean but flavorful! Happy New Year!

Liz — January 2, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Mmmm….what a light, refreshing drink! Wishing you good health, happiness and deliciousness in 2012…may it all be positive from this point on~~~~

Cookin' Canuck — January 2, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I’m sorry that 2011 has been a trying year for you and hope that 2012 holds plenty of joy to make up for it. This refreshing drink makes me yearn to lie on a warm beach. Love the photo of those cool trees!

France @ Beyond The Peel — January 2, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

WHat a bunch of really fun photos, especially those trees. Amazing. I hope you have the most amazing year up ahead an pineapple is a great treat to start it all.

marla — January 2, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

Such an uplifting post Sommer. Sounds like you are off to a great start – especially with such a positive attitude. Love the spa water & it is so fun to read about your trip to Maui.
    Happy new year!

Katie@cozydelicious — January 2, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

So refreshing! This drink looks lovely. Maybe I’ll have a little spa day for myself and some pineapple sugar cane water to hydrate. Happy 2012!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — January 2, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

Here’s to a prosperous and uneventful 2012 Sommer! I could go for some of this water. It looks very refreshing! I’m so glad you and your hubby could have some time to recoup.

Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva — January 2, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

I really hope 2012 is a fresh new start also. I resemble your 2011 and couldn’t wait for it to be over.

This post is a beautiful and refreshing way to start the new year. Since it’s 83 today where we live, this hits the spot and we will be trying this week.

Happy New Year!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — January 2, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

I love this post — filled with recharged motivation for 2012!

Happy New Year to you and the family :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary — January 2, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Thanks for sharing Sommer; sometimes in the midst of our own travails we can wonder, ‘Why us’ and not that I would ever wish anything bad on anyone, but knowing we weren’t targeted and the only ones struggling someone makes the burden easier. I’m wishing for you a refreshed spirit and a banner year; sounds like it’s time!

Tiffany — January 2, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Sorry to hear that you had a tough 2011. I truly, truly hope that 2012 brings you peace, joy, happiness, abundance, and most of all, consciousness. Happy New Year Sommer! Hugs!

carolinaheartstrings — January 2, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Great post. Thank you for sharing a bit of your life. This drink looks fantastic!

Shaina — January 2, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Your perspective on the coming year is spot on, and the water sounds so refreshing. Here’s to a happy and healthy 2012!

Jeanette — January 2, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

Love how refreshing and simple this clean drink is, perfect for starting the year off. I too am looking forward to a new start in 2012. 2011 was a tough year for our family as well, and I am determined to make each day count positively, no matter how small.

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 3, 2012 @ 8:49 am

I am so in love with this idea. It looks so refreshing!

A Canadian Foodie — January 3, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Sommer!
    Kudos for you for admitting you are not super human. It is not easy to be a “little” vulnerable in a public place, but everyone goes through misery. Without it, joy would never hold the joy it holds. That sad, there are certainly things that happen to people that should never happen and I am definitely not a believe in the old adages that we are given what we can handle and everything happens for a reason. Bah-humbug! Terrible things happen to really good people – and even children – that there is no explanation, nor justification for. No silver lining. And, I am sorry that this was the most difficult year in your life. I can certainly recall mine. Misery. Every day for months. And, nothing that I had done. Only there in the middle of it all. Boy, does that ever challenge you! I did learn to really love and admire myself through it all – as I got through it with my head up, and am probably a better person. However, I did not need that to happen to be a good person. So, not knowing if it was health, or heart, or something else that interrupted your life, and it doesn’t matter – I am sending SO much love and positive energy your way. I echo your tenacity and prayer that 2012 will be a year filled with health in all areas of our lives! You are a strong and vibrant woman. I know that from the evidence in your work and love that you have taken the theme of rejuvenation and cleansing on at the onset of this new year.
    XO
    Valerie

A Canadian Foodie — January 3, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Should have edited first: should read…”That said, there are certainly things that happen to people that should never happen and I am definitely not a believer in the old adages,,,”
    V

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — January 3, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

I wish I had a glass right now! When we were in Fiji for our honeymoon, they had a passionfruit iced tea that was super refreshing and this reminds me of it! Happy New Year!

Apron Appeal — January 3, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

I was thinking about posting water (unflavored) on my blog today because I’m fasting as part 1 of my holiday detox. I like you’re water post way more.

Lauren — January 3, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

How easy but so gourmet! And, I still need to go to Hawaii!

Maria — January 3, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

Such a refreshing drink! Happy New Year to you! Looking forward to your posts in 2012~

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — January 3, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Way to look to the future Sommer and not dwell on the past. 2012 is here to offer new beginnings. Thanks for your honest post. Happy New Year to you!!

xoxo
    Heather

Rachel @ Twin Tough — January 3, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Looks so delicious and refreshing! Will definitely have to keep some of this in the fridge! Praying also that this year will be a wonderful one for you and your family! Love you guys!

Julie M. — January 4, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Here’s to a better 2012 my friend. It’s been a true pleasure getting to know you this past year. I consider you a friend; if you ever need anything just let me know! This water looks so refreshing. Where do you find the sugar cane sticks?

• Sommer — January 4th, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Thanks Julie, Big Hugs! You can find sugarcane in the produce department of “gourmet” grocery stores, or often in the cocktail mixer section, labeled “Sugarcane Swizzle Sticks”.

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — January 4, 2012 @ 11:42 am

Although there is still sugar in it, I feel it is justifiably healthy as it seems like such a pure and simple recipe. Can’t wait to try it! I have been to Hawaii three times and have yet to try this stuff let alone see it. Thanks for the recipe!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — January 4, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

One of my favorite movie lines is from You’ve Got Mail when Tom Hanks tells Meg Ryan it’s not personal and she replies, “What’s wrong with being personal? Whatever life is shouldn’t it begin by being personal?” We’re all human and we all have less than perfect moments in life. Here’s to praying that 2012 will be a better year! And may you be filled with joy!

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — January 4, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

Sommer- 2012 will be better! You are a bright light in the food world. Blessings and fun to come. Your recipes inspire me sooo much! :)

Nana — January 5, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

Sommer, I love your post and your open spirit. The water looks so refreshing. And I remember those trees on Maui — they are amazing to see — kinda makes me think God was enjoying His creation when He spoke these into existence.

sweetsugarbelle — January 6, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Sommer, I totally understand! I hope this one is better to y’all! Here’s to a better 2012. Thanks for sharing this. It looks amazing

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 8, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Here’s to 2012! Looking forward to another full year of delicious recipes :)

Glad to hear you got some rest and relaxation in December. Sounds like it was much needed! I always find that I grow and learn after passing through a tough phase in life. Things will get better (if they’re not better already!).

Fresh and Foodie — January 8, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Happy new year! This water looks refreshing and awesome. The perfect sipper to keep you feeling energized well into 2012. Delish!

Cécy — January 11, 2012 @ 10:05 am

I love you Maui pictures, you make me want to come back soon. It’s been a while.

Cindi @ Frugal New England Kitchen — January 11, 2012 @ 11:26 am

Hope 2012 brings you much happiness- your photos are beautiful and so professional, did you take them yourself?

Aggie — January 11, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

Here’s to a new year Sommer! So happy to have gotten to know you and your beautiful site!

Denise @ creative kitchen — January 23, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

Sommer,

Sorry for the rough year…I can def relate. Just happy for a clean start…for both of us! Bet Maui was wonderful!

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen — April 28, 2014 @ 9:30 am

Oh my gosh, I’m looking for a new flavor for detox water and I found this! Will do this as soon as I find myself some sugarcane. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Pineapple Sugarcane Water | jpshealthylivingblog

3. Pingback: Tips for Drinking More Water and Avoiding Overeating | Good Life Eats

4. Pingback: Motivation For Drinking More Water #health #aquaone « Around the Water Cooler presented by AquaOne

5. Pingback: Staying Hydrated This Summer: Drinking More Water and Less Soda

6. Pingback: Last Minute Memorial Day Recipes | A Spicy Perspective

7. Pingback: Fit Girl's Diary Healthy Weight Loss & Detox Water Recipe Ideas » Fit Girl's Diary

8. Pingback: 13 DIY Detox Water Recipes – GleamItUp