Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Believe it or not, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Surprise your little ones with every child’s dream, Bubble Gum Ice Cream.

It’s funny how a certain food can epitomize your childhood. Bubble Gum Ice Cream is that food for me.

On any given Saturday my parents might have surprised the clan by taking us to the movies. I always looked forward to the show and the popcorn, yet I recall feverish curiosity over WHICH movie theater we were headed to.

There were a couple theaters close to our house, yet one across town, had a ice cream parlor next door. That… was the theater I desperately hoped we were driving toward. I would watch out the window with great anticipation as we weaved through town. With my fingers grasping the window seal and heart thumping, I would visualize the vast array of ice cream flavors in the long freezer case, a rainbow of possibilities. At the moment I was SURE we were going to right theater, a sigh of ecstasy would emerge.

If mom and dad were taking the time to drive all the way across town, they would be easily persuaded to stop at the ice cream parlor on the way home. Guaranteed.

Don’t you love the rationale of a child?

Ice Cream GumCrystal Goblet from Villeroy & Boch.

I remember slowly floating down the case, taking in all the flavors, pondering whether it was time to try Rocky Road or Butter Pecan. Yet secretly, I always knew what I would pick, Bubble Gum Ice Cream.

Sweet creamy bubble gum ice cream, loaded with rock hard gumballs that you scoop around, saving them for later. A pile of half-thawed gumballs, the reward in the bottom of your cup. How many would there be? What colors would they be?

Bubble Gum

Best of all, when everyone else had finished their treat, YOU were still chomping away on your giant wad of bubble gum. Sigh… I loved that.

There was is not a single food I love more than ice cream. Although I don’t often eat bubble gum ice cream these days, the idea of it still makes me smile.

I made this batch for my little sweeties. You can imagine the look of shear delight that graced their faces when I told them their after-school snack was Bubble Gum Ice Cream, instead of apples and almond butter that day.

How To Make Ice Cream

What makes this version pretty wonderful is that the ice cream base itself, tastes just like bubble gum. (So technically you could leave the gumballs out, but WHY?) Although you can purchase bubble gum extract at cake supply stores, I infused real bubble gum into the ice cream base.

The warm ice cream base, melts the bubble gum, releasing the sugar, flavor, and some of the color. Once the ice cream has cooled in the fridge, strain the ice cream base to remove the bubble gum residue, leaving a smooth texture.

In this batch, I picked through the gumballs, selecting only the red, white, and pink ones for a FUN Valentine surprise!

Gumball Ice Cream

Yield: 10

Prep Time: 30 minutes active time

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

2 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1-2 drops red food coloring (optional)
10 pieces of pink bubble gum (Dubble Bubble)
1 cup small gumballs

Whisk all the ingredients, minus the gums, over medium heat. Make sure the egg yolks are well combined.

Add the pieces of pink bubble gum and bring to a light boil. Whisk until the gum softens and the base has thickened.

Remove from heat, cover, and place in the fridge until completely cold. At least 3 hours, but overnight is better.

Before pouring the ice cream base into the frozen bowl of an ice cream maker, place a paper towel in a colander and strain the base to remove of the gum particles.

Pour the base into an ice cream maker and churn for 20-30 minutes.

Once frozen, add the gumballs. Eat immediately or store in an air-tight container and freeze.

More Vivacious Valentine Treats:

Zingy Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes

Ancient Pleasure Brownies (Sorry about the photos, one of my first posts!)

Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Frosting

Valentine Fortune Cookies ~ Sprinkled with Flour

Cinnamon Valentine Caramels ~ A Farmgirl’s Dabbles

Valentine Jelly Pops ~ Tablespoon

66 Responses to “Bubble Gum Ice Cream”

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale — February 1, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

too cute! I remember bubble gum ice cream SO very well! Love that you did this!

Candy @ Candy Girl — February 6, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Bubble gum was my favorite flavor as a kid. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 6, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Bubble gum ice cream was one of my childhood favorites. And I’m not afraid to admit that I still order it once in awhile. (Or I convince one of my kids they should get it, so I can also get in my coffee ice cream fix!) Beautiful pink ice cream, Sommer!

Keri — February 21, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Just made this for my daughter’s birthday party and it was AWESOME, so delicious, creamy, and cute! The only hard part was cleaning out the pan after cooking the bubble gum base, lol, but so worth it for such an incredible treat! Will definitely make this again…thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

Jahnavi — March 9, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

You know when I first saw the blog post, I was reminded of this ice cream I used to buy as a kid from the Ice cream man called Bubble pop. It came in the shape of a pink baseball mitten and in the center used to be this white bubblegum ball to represent the ball obviously. Ah, the memories.

I have three words for you: Simply delicious and delectable.

Chris — May 3, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

I made the base according to directions. Everything went fine until the “place a paper towel in a colander and strain the base to remove of the gum particles” step. I poured it in, and it stayed in the colander. And stayed. And stayed. After 15 minutes, I had to pour it down the drain. Should I try using a piece of cheesecloth instead? I’m not sure of the size of suspended particles I am trying to filter out. Thanks in advance.

kristinc — February 13, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I just made this recipe and it was SOOOO Good.

My tip: I wrapped my gum in one layer of cheese cloth and just pulled out the sack. No residue!

Thanks for the recipe. The perfect valentines dessert.

Julie — April 29, 2013 @ 5:52 am

After seeing a couple of other bubble gum ice cream recipes with bubble gum extract/flavoring in it, I was wondering how this would go cooking the actual bubblegum pieces. Well, it turned out great! My seven year old loved it!

apple ipad ereader review — July 20, 2013 @ 4:35 am

Own some thing a little bit distinctive? ;-) Most notably, information or perhaps resources pertaining
    to bubble gum. How can I subscribe to your site
    content? :)

Ann — February 17, 2014 @ 12:53 pm

Love this ice cream. Made it twice. Any advice though on cleaning out the pot of the bubble gum residue? Perhaps I melted it too long? I now notice you “soften” the gum vs melting in your instructions. Have you had any issue with the gum sticking to the pot?

• Sommer — February 17th, 2014 @ 4:27 pm

Hi Ann, Boil some water in the dirty pot and the residue should float to the top!

1. Pingback: Bubble Gum Cupcakes | Created by Diane