Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Believe it or not, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Surprise your little ones with every child’s dream, Bubble Gum Ice Cream.

It’s funny how a certain food can epitomize your childhood. Bubble Gum Ice Cream is that food for me.

On any given Saturday my parents might have surprised the clan by taking us to the movies. I always looked forward to the show and the popcorn, yet I recall feverish curiosity over WHICH movie theater we were headed to.

There were a couple theaters close to our house, yet one across town, had a ice cream parlor next door. That… was the theater I desperately hoped we were driving toward. I would watch out the window with great anticipation as we weaved through town. With my fingers grasping the window seal and heart thumping, I would visualize the vast array of ice cream flavors in the long freezer case, a rainbow of possibilities. At the moment I was SURE we were going to right theater, a sigh of ecstasy would emerge.

If mom and dad were taking the time to drive all the way across town, they would be easily persuaded to stop at the ice cream parlor on the way home. Guaranteed.

Don’t you love the rationale of a child?

Ice Cream GumCrystal Goblet from Villeroy & Boch.

I remember slowly floating down the case, taking in all the flavors, pondering whether it was time to try Rocky Road or Butter Pecan. Yet secretly, I always knew what I would pick, Bubble Gum Ice Cream.

Sweet creamy bubble gum ice cream, loaded with rock hard gumballs that you scoop around, saving them for later. A pile of half-thawed gumballs, the reward in the bottom of your cup. How many would there be? What colors would they be?

Bubble Gum

Best of all, when everyone else had finished their treat, YOU were still chomping away on your giant wad of bubble gum. Sigh… I loved that.

There was is not a single food I love more than ice cream. Although I don’t often eat bubble gum ice cream these days, the idea of it still makes me smile.

I made this batch for my little sweeties. You can imagine the look of shear delight that graced their faces when I told them their after-school snack was Bubble Gum Ice Cream, instead of apples and almond butter that day.

How To Make Ice Cream

What makes this version pretty wonderful is that the ice cream base itself, tastes just like bubble gum. (So technically you could leave the gumballs out, but WHY?) Although you can purchase bubble gum extract at cake supply stores, I infused real bubble gum into the ice cream base.

The warm ice cream base, melts the bubble gum, releasing the sugar, flavor, and some of the color. Once the ice cream has cooled in the fridge, strain the ice cream base to remove the bubble gum residue, leaving a smooth texture.

In this batch, I picked through the gumballs, selecting only the red, white, and pink ones for a FUN Valentine surprise!

Gumball Ice Cream

Yield: 10

Prep Time: 30 minutes active time

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

2 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1-2 drops red food coloring (optional)
10 pieces of pink bubble gum (Dubble Bubble)
1 cup small gumballs

Whisk all the ingredients, minus the gums, over medium heat. Make sure the egg yolks are well combined.

Add the pieces of pink bubble gum and bring to a light boil. Whisk until the gum softens and the base has thickened.

Remove from heat, cover, and place in the fridge until completely cold. At least 3 hours, but overnight is better.

Before pouring the ice cream base into the frozen bowl of an ice cream maker, place a paper towel in a colander and strain the base to remove of the gum particles.

Pour the base into an ice cream maker and churn for 20-30 minutes.

Once frozen, add the gumballs. Eat immediately or store in an air-tight container and freeze.

More Vivacious Valentine Treats:

Zingy Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes

Ancient Pleasure Brownies (Sorry about the photos, one of my first posts!)

Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Frosting

Valentine Fortune Cookies ~ Sprinkled with Flour

Cinnamon Valentine Caramels ~ A Farmgirl’s Dabbles

Valentine Jelly Pops ~ Tablespoon

66 Responses to “Bubble Gum Ice Cream”

leslie — January 19, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Ahhhh, I totally love this and my kids would too. Bubble Gum Ice Cream= Kid Love

Katarina — January 19, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Lovely ice cream, it makes me smile!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 19, 2012 @ 8:00 am

I’m pretty sure you win mom of the year award with this one. I didn’t have bubble gum ice cream as a kid but I do remember the bubble gum noses of the ice cream pops we’d get from the ice cream truck. Almost as good ;)

Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) — January 19, 2012 @ 8:07 am

So cool! I picked bubble gum ice cream all the time as a kid. It’s so pretty too!

marla — January 19, 2012 @ 8:20 am

This is dreamy for kids & adults!! Pinning now!

Erin — January 19, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Wow I love that you made this! I used ride my bike down several blocks to get bubble gum ice cream from a local ice creamery growing up. With extra bubble gum on top!

Kiri W. — January 19, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Wow, that looks so fun! I was never a big bubblegum eater as a child (oh, how times have changed), but I bet I would have just loved this anyways :) Looks fantastic, I wish I had an ice cream machine!

I’ve been wracking my brain, trying to remember what flavor I loved most. All I remember was going for the dreamsicle whenever the ice cream truck came by the house. Dudette would adore this ice cream though. She loves bubblegum. What a fun walk down memory lane.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 19, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Makes me feel like a kid again!

RavieNomNoms — January 19, 2012 @ 10:19 am

Oh my gosh, how cute is this!? This is just so adorable and I am sure so many little kids would just love this. Does that include adults that act like kids too? Because I think I fill that bill, hehe.

the wicked noodle — January 19, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I just love this!! I’m going to drag my ice cream machine out of the back of the cupboard and surprise my girls. What a fun treat!

Nutmeg Nanny — January 19, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Wow! So sweet and delicious! Love that pink color for V-Day!

Aggie — January 19, 2012 @ 11:11 am

How fun is this!! Love it!

Chris and Amy — January 19, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

So cute and fun and yummy sounding!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — January 19, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

This is such a great post!! Bubblegum used to be my favorite ice cream flavor…then I kind of forgot about it. I have GOT to make this just to bring back those childhood memories!

Colleen — January 19, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

Omg you have no idea how happy this makes me! Bubble gum was a favorite of mine growing up. I had no idea you could make it homemade. This ice cream is just so fun & sweet :)

Belinda @zomppa — January 19, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

I love this! Put a big smile on my face!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 19, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

I’ve been thinking about this all day. I’m in love!

Cassie — January 19, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

This is AWESOME, Sommer! Takes me right back to my childhood!

Maria — January 19, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

This was my favorite flavor as a kiddo!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 19, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

What a fun retro flavor!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 19, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

wow super fun!!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — January 19, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

I love this more can I could ever explain in words…the bubble gum infused base really seals the deal for me. Wow.

Michelle — January 19, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

Ohhh thank you for this!! The 6 1/2 year old is beside herself with glee at helping to make this ;)

Rikki-Dee — January 19, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

This sounds like the perfect ice cream for my soon to be 11 year old’s bday party. I’ll have to do a test run first of course. Quality control, it’s just another burden I carry for my loved ones. lol!

Anna @ hiddenponies — January 19, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

Love this unique idea for a Valentine’s Treat!

Simply Life — January 20, 2012 @ 6:36 am

oh this is way too fun and creative!

brandi — January 20, 2012 @ 8:17 am

High’s ice cream had a bubble gum that was my FAVORITE growing up! this is awesome :)

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — January 20, 2012 @ 9:39 am

That is insanely cute! Just stumbled it! And I’m totally digging all the Villeroy & Boch pieces you’ve been using lately.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — January 20, 2012 @ 10:00 am

What a fun ice cream!

Marly — January 20, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

This is so sweet, Sommer! I just love the colors and the memories of eating ice cream like this. Too fun!

Cookin' Canuck — January 20, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

This ice cream is so reminiscent of my childhood and so many memories came flooding back as I read this post. I HAVE to make this for my boys – I know they would be just as enthralled as I was at their age.

Curt — January 20, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

That sounds so delicious! And the photo is excellent.

MyKidsEatSquid — January 20, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Cool ice cream, great memories. My tween just got braces on so bubble gum is now a no-no. Bummer.

Boulder Locavore — January 20, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Sommer this is so pretty! There is something about the color pink in food that feels so happy. I’ll definitely bookmark this for a fun surprise. Thank you!

Connie — January 21, 2012 @ 6:03 am

Your photos are stunning as usual! I love the Valentine’s Day theme.

Alaiyo Kiasi — January 21, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

Your recipes and beautiful photos always take me to my “happy place.” I’ll keep this one in mind for Valentine’s Day!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — January 22, 2012 @ 8:23 am

THANK YOU for posting this! When I was a kid this was all I would order at the local ice cream shoppe and I would always ask for an extra bowl to put the bubble gum in. Ahhh… memories!

Dmarie — January 22, 2012 @ 10:54 am

you wild thing, you!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — January 22, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Aaahhh.. this brought back many wonderful childhood memories!! I love bubble gums. So creative :D

A Canadian Foodie — January 24, 2012 @ 11:43 am

What gorgeous food styling. The entire idea of bubble gum ice cream repels me, yet you have made it look like an absolute fantasy!
    V

Joy — January 24, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

My daughter would go balistic over this.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 24, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

I used to love bubble gum flavored ice cream when I was young. Haven’t had it in soooo long. Brings back memories.

Ashton @nummm — January 24, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

Those look REALLY yummy! Well done!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — January 27, 2012 @ 9:52 am

LOVE this ice cream. Nice job!

Bren @ Flanboyant Eats™ — January 27, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

I originally saw this on Pinterest and fell in love. So nostalgic! And, nice to find your blog! :)

Denise — January 27, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

This was always my FAVORITE ice cream!! It took me a couple days to find the gum and gumballs but I just made it today and it was just as AWESOME today if not better than when I was as a kid. My 3 girls *LOVED* it!!! Thank You!

Kita — January 30, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Holy wow! I am a kid all over again, chasing the ice cream truck and counting out my change. This ice cream looks wonderful!

RisaG — January 31, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

This ice cream looks so creamy and dreamy. Sounds interesting.

Sweetsugarbelle — January 31, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

Love!!!!

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale — February 1, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

too cute! I remember bubble gum ice cream SO very well! Love that you did this!

Candy @ Candy Girl — February 6, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Bubble gum was my favorite flavor as a kid. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 6, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Bubble gum ice cream was one of my childhood favorites. And I’m not afraid to admit that I still order it once in awhile. (Or I convince one of my kids they should get it, so I can also get in my coffee ice cream fix!) Beautiful pink ice cream, Sommer!

Keri — February 21, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Just made this for my daughter’s birthday party and it was AWESOME, so delicious, creamy, and cute! The only hard part was cleaning out the pan after cooking the bubble gum base, lol, but so worth it for such an incredible treat! Will definitely make this again…thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

Jahnavi — March 9, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

You know when I first saw the blog post, I was reminded of this ice cream I used to buy as a kid from the Ice cream man called Bubble pop. It came in the shape of a pink baseball mitten and in the center used to be this white bubblegum ball to represent the ball obviously. Ah, the memories.

I have three words for you: Simply delicious and delectable.

Chris — May 3, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

I made the base according to directions. Everything went fine until the “place a paper towel in a colander and strain the base to remove of the gum particles” step. I poured it in, and it stayed in the colander. And stayed. And stayed. After 15 minutes, I had to pour it down the drain. Should I try using a piece of cheesecloth instead? I’m not sure of the size of suspended particles I am trying to filter out. Thanks in advance.

kristinc — February 13, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I just made this recipe and it was SOOOO Good.

My tip: I wrapped my gum in one layer of cheese cloth and just pulled out the sack. No residue!

Thanks for the recipe. The perfect valentines dessert.

Julie — April 29, 2013 @ 5:52 am

After seeing a couple of other bubble gum ice cream recipes with bubble gum extract/flavoring in it, I was wondering how this would go cooking the actual bubblegum pieces. Well, it turned out great! My seven year old loved it!

apple ipad ereader review — July 20, 2013 @ 4:35 am

Own some thing a little bit distinctive? ;-) Most notably, information or perhaps resources pertaining
    to bubble gum. How can I subscribe to your site
    content? :)

Ann — February 17, 2014 @ 12:53 pm

Love this ice cream. Made it twice. Any advice though on cleaning out the pot of the bubble gum residue? Perhaps I melted it too long? I now notice you “soften” the gum vs melting in your instructions. Have you had any issue with the gum sticking to the pot?

• Sommer — February 17th, 2014 @ 4:27 pm

Hi Ann, Boil some water in the dirty pot and the residue should float to the top!

1. Pingback: Bubble Gum Cupcakes | Created by Diane