Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer

Brussels Sprouts Recipe

You can’t stand Brussels Sprouts? I call BULL. This Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer recipe can win any unbeliever over to the green side.

If dark childhood memories of stubbornly sitting at the kitchen table, refusing to eat slimy off-colored orbs, looms over you whenever you hear the words “brussels sprouts,” have no fear. I’ve got a game-changer for you today.

How to Cook Brussels Sprouts

I realize this is going to sound awfully cocky, but I’m going to say it anyway…

If you don’t like brussels sprouts, it’s because you haven’t eaten MY brussels sprouts recipe.

There it is.

It’s not that I have some magic power to enhance their flavor. More accurately put, I have two magical flavor enhancing ingredients that can fix nearly any dish known to man…

BEER and BACON.

Braised Brussel Sprouts

The salty porky essence and sweet hoppy note from the beer, are more than these stubborn little sprouts can handle.

As they bathe in the richness of the two, the sprouts grow tender and lose their bitter edge. They evolve into something more than the sum of the components. They become intensely Sprout-astic!

Brussels sprouts with bacon alone, are something to be relished. Brussels sprouts with bacon and beer can turn even the toughest adversary into a fan of this humble little sprout. Guaranteed.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Yield: 6-8 servings

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer

• 2 pounds Brussels Sprouts
  • 6 ounces thick cut bacon, chopped
  • 1 shallot, peeled and sliced
  • 12 ounce bottle beer, something light and crisp
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Pinch crushed red pepper

1. Trim the ends of each Brussels Sprout, removing excess leaves. Cut the sprouts in half, leaving the smallest sprouts whole.
  2. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and saute until crisp.
  3. Add the sliced shallot. Saute another 2-3 minutes to soften. Then add the Brussels Sprouts. Stir and sear the sides of the sprouts for 4-5 minutes.
  4. Pour the bottle of beer into the skillet. Add the salt an both peppers. Bring to a simmer and lower the heat a little. Stir and simmer until the beer has reduced to a glaze and the sprouts are cooked through--12-15 minutes.

Brussles Sprouts with Bacon

More Veggie-licious Recipes:

90 Responses to “Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer”

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 10, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

I just tried Brussels sprouts for the first time this weekend, and they were way better than I thought they would be – even got hubby to agree I could make them again! Add bacon and beer? YES Please!

Kelly — January 10, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

I believe that the Brussels sprouts waiting in my fridge must be used for this recipe! It looks incredible!

Living The Sweet Life — January 10, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

I used to despise brussel sprouts… and then I sautéed them in butter …. and I added the bacon. TOTAL brussel sprout 360!! This is a fabulous recipe

Dmarie — January 10, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

oh, my, here’s hoping this will be the recipe to win my Hubby back to eating Brussels sprouts! thx, Spicy!

marla — January 10, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

I love B Sprouts with bacon but I have not tried them with beer. Love the idea!

30A EATS — January 11, 2012 @ 5:02 am

All my favorites! Perfect combo’s! Yum! Love beer recipes, and this is a keeper!

carolinaheartstrings — January 11, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

That is a great combination. My husband might even try a brussel sprout made with beer! Come visit. Tomorrow we are making roasted vegetables with grape seed oil. Delicious.

Lisa — January 11, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

I finally got my husband to eat brussels sprouts after roasting them with olive oil and salt. What a fight it was to get him to try them, and then he loved them. I have always believed that if you don’t like something, you probably just haven’t had it prepared the right way for you. I can’t wait to try this…with beer and bacon, I know it won’t take any convincing this time!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 12, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

HA! I hear ya, my friend! If you say you don’t like Brussels sprouts, I just think you haven’t had them prepared correctly (most likely boiled or steamed… gross!)

This, however, should turn the skeptical into converts!

Alli — January 12, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I love brussel sprouts but yours sound out of this world. I can’t wait to try.

Beth Michelle — January 13, 2012 @ 6:55 am

I love brussels sprouts and this looks like the most perfect recipe to convert my husband to liking them too!! Your photos look so mouthwatering!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — January 13, 2012 @ 11:04 am

I absolutely LOVE braised Brussel Sprouts with bacon. I have never had it with beer before but this recipe is making me a believer. Bookmarked!

Denny Abler — January 24, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Brussels sprouts are my new most loved vegetable. This is going to be the next recipe I use when I get some more sprouts, how can you miss with bacon and beer. One question though: Do you drain the grease from the bacon or do you leave a little for coating and flavor?

Denise — January 27, 2012 @ 1:16 am

These look marvelous! We love brussel sprouts and I have enjoyed them with bacon but never tried them with beer but it sounds delish! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

Fresh and Foodie — January 29, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

I’m in love!

RisaG — February 18, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

I adore brussel sprouts and don’t understand people who don’t. They must’ve had bad brussel sprouts as a kid or as an adult. My mom was one of those folks who over boiled them to death. I couldn’t stand them as a child BUT then I found Ina Garten’s Roasted Brussel Sprouts in her first Barefoot Contessa book and fell in love. So easy and so yummy. These look really good too. For months my son said he hated them (he hadn’t even tried them) but the last time I made them I insisted that he try them and that was it – he said that “it was like eating candy” and he had his whole serving.

I am going to try this recipe. Thanks a lot.

Suejette — February 23, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

I bought 2 lbs. of baby brussels sprouts the other day and I made your recipe this evening. Mind you, I have made and eaten brussels sprouts with beer and bacon before and it was incredibly delicious. However, when I made it 15 – 20 years ago there was (to my knowledge) no IPA beer. The recipe that I made called for a stout. Comparing the two, I’ll have to say (sorry) that the stout was much better than the IPA. I will say that my husband loved the sprouts that I made this evening, so maybe it’s just a matter of beer taste. Thank you so much for the recipe.

jenny vandevyvere — May 2, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

I’m gonna make this tonight… stay tuned

Jeff Lowman — April 9, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Those pictures are ridiculous! Spot on!

jo jefferson — December 15, 2013 @ 10:42 am

OMG !!! I made these for a holiday dinner potluck this afternoon and am standing in the kitchen picking away at them they are so good!!!!!! (by the way its 9 am )

Chris M — February 18, 2014 @ 9:53 am

I made this for my GF and she loved it. I saw the IPA in your photos so I also brewed it with an IPA. The recipe was fantastic and I will make it again, but I think it’s best to use a less bitter beer. I could taste the bitterness from the hops concentrated in this recipe as the ipa cooked down. I have a doppel bock in my fridge for the next batch. Thanks for posting this great recipe.

1. Pingback: Pinterest for Bloggers

2. Pingback: Carbonnades à la Flamande (Belgian Beef and Onion Stew)

3. Pingback: food

4. Pingback: Adelicii | Kitchen Fling #19

5. Pingback: Things I Love Thursday, vol. 18 « Dressed to Chill

6. Pingback: Learn the 3 B's: Bacon, Beer and Brussel Sprouts : Solid Gold Eats

7. Pingback: Motha vs. Turk-zilla!! « Burnt Is A Flavor

8. Pingback: Friday links « Whitbull

9. Pingback: Beer Recipe: Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup « Volume by Alcohol

10. Pingback: The Buzz On…BEER | The Hob-bee Hive

11. Pingback: Braised Brussels Sprouts « bowersbakingandbabies

12. Pingback: Carbonnades à la Flamande (Belgian Beef and Onion Stew) | BROOKLYN ATLAS

13. Pingback: Baked Lemon Chicken, Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer – Sunday | You May Now Kiss the Cook!

14. Pingback: BeerLES: Breaking Craft Beer News | A Very Terrapin Thanksgiving - BeerLES: Breaking Craft Beer News

15. Pingback: the “cake” of the mondays… | House of Mayhem & Chaos

16. Pingback: Stuffed Flank Steak with Prosciutto and Wild Mushrooms (GIVEAWAY) | A Spicy Perspective

17. Pingback: Cooking With Beer: Braised Brussels Sprouts With Bacon & Beer | 99 Bottles of Beer on the Blog

18. Pingback: I Don’t Always Drink Beer, But When I Do… – Wolverine Cuizine