Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer

Brussels Sprouts Recipe

You can’t stand Brussels Sprouts? I call BULL. This Brussels Sprouts Recipe can win any unbeliever over to the green side.

If dark childhood memories of stubbornly sitting at the kitchen table, refusing to eat slimy off-colored orbs, looms over you whenever you hear the words “brussels sprouts,” have no fear. I’ve got a game-changer for you today.

How to Cook Brussels Sprouts

I realize this is going to sound awfully cocky, but I’m going to say it anyway…

If you don’t like brussels sprouts, it’s because you haven’t eaten MY brussels sprouts recipe.

There it is.

It’s not that I have some magic power to enhance their flavor. More accurately put, I have two magical flavor enhancing ingredients that can fix nearly any dish known to man:

BEER and BACON.

Braised Brussel Sprouts

The salty porky essence and sweet hoppy note from the beer, are more than these stubborn little sprouts can handle.

As they bathe in the richness of the two, the sprouts grow tender and lose their bitter edge. They evolve into something more than the sum of the components. They become intensely Sprout-astic!

Brussels sprouts with bacon alone, are something to be relished. Brussels sprouts with bacon and beer can turn even the toughest adversary into a fan of this humble little sprout. Guaranteed.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Yield: 6-8 servings

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer

2 lbs Brussels Sprouts
6 oz. thick cut bacon, chopped
1 shallot, peeled and sliced
12 oz. bottle beer, something light and crisp
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Pinch crushed red pepper

Trim the ends of each Brussels Sprout, removing excess leaves. Cut the sprouts in half, leaving the smallest sprouts whole.

Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and saute until crisp.

Add the sliced shallot. Saute another 2-3 minutes to soften. Then add the Brussels Sprouts. Stir and sear the sides of the sprouts for 4-5 minutes.

Pour the bottle of beer into the skillet. Add the salt an both peppers. Bring to a simmer and lower the heat a little. Stir and simmer until the beer has reduced to a glaze and the sprouts are cooked through--12-15 minutes.

Brussles Sprouts with Bacon

More Veggie-licious Recipes:

91 Responses to “Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer”

pam — January 9, 2012 @ 5:45 am

Bacon and beer? Well of course they are good.

Susan — January 9, 2012 @ 6:33 am

2012 is the year of the sprout, and it’s about time. They are so good. I’ve made them with bacon, but never with beer. Maybe my husband will eat them if I do this. Delicious.

the wicked noodle — January 9, 2012 @ 6:36 am

I’ve been trying to get hubs to like brussel sprouts for years. YEARS! This just might – finally! – be the recipe to win him over!

Belinda @zomppa — January 9, 2012 @ 6:58 am

I believe it! What time should I be over so you can convince me? =)

Liz — January 9, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Sommer, these look wonderful!!! I adore Brussels sprouts!

Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} — January 9, 2012 @ 7:54 am

We love brussels sprouts with caramelized onions and bacon. But beer? Woah. I have to try this!

My German Kitchen...in the Rockies — January 9, 2012 @ 7:59 am

I recently discovered liking brussels sprouts. I roast mine in the oven. Bacon and onion sound like the perfect addition. Can’t do beer, unfortunately.
    Love the vibrant colors of the pictures!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — January 9, 2012 @ 7:59 am

With bacon, how could it be anything but good?!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — January 9, 2012 @ 8:05 am

I literally cannot wait to make these. I have a half of a bag of sprouts sitting in my fridge as we speak, that have no idea what they’re in for.

I need sprouts. I love them in any way, shape or form; even overcooked. But, I have to make them when Hubby’s not home because just the smell makes him sick. I’d never get him close enough to the table to try one that’s simmered in beer with bacon draping it like a pin-up model (those photos are seriously amazing).

Usually, I’d say that it’s a sad thing and I’m trying to change him, but when looking at a recipe like this I know it just means I get to eat the whole batch.

Curt — January 9, 2012 @ 8:36 am

You just may have convinced me to try brussel sprouts again!

Erin — January 9, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Oh yes! I am all over these since I recently discovered the joy that is brussels sprouts.

Kelly — January 9, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Wow this looks and sounds amazing!! I love everything about this recipe! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 9, 2012 @ 9:20 am

I agree! I said to someone once: “you don’t like them because you’re making them wrong” I don’t think they appreciated that comment, but it’s the truth!

Kiri W. — January 9, 2012 @ 9:44 am

I’ve only recently found out how to make Brussel sprouts in a way that I can enjoy them in, but this looks quite fabulous, too. Goes very well with my German sensitivities ;) Great looking recipe and lovely pictures!

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! — January 9, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Bacon, beer AND Brussels sprouts? That’s a match made in heaven.

Bev Weidner — January 9, 2012 @ 10:12 am

I absolutely love brussels sprouts and I’ve just fainted looking at these.

Isabelle @ Crumb — January 9, 2012 @ 10:18 am

I’ve always had a soft spot for Brussels sprouts, but I’ve yet to find a recipe that can convince my cabbage-hating BF to give them a try, so I only get to indulge if we’re eating out or if I’m cooking just for myself… that said, if bacon AND beer doesn’t win him over, then I’m pretty sure nothing will. Wish me luck! :)

Carolyn — January 9, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I like Brussels as it is, but I do love the idea of this recipe!

Lauren — January 9, 2012 @ 10:52 am

Bacon can make anything green taste a million times better! I’m a believer!!

Vanderbilt Wife — January 9, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

My mom made the absolute, most amazing brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze and bacon for Christmas … and my husband would not even touch them. He’s a party pooper sometimes. Just doesn’t understand that maybe you didn’t like something because it wasn’t cooked the right way when you were a kid!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — January 9, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

I love sprouts but very rarely cook them since I’m the only one here who enjoys them. However, I might be able to persuade my hubby to try these! What’s not to like about beer and bacon, huh?

Deanna — January 9, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

I’ve found as long as the brussels sprouts don’t come into contact with water, people tend to love them. They have always been one of my favorite vegetables. I’ve never had them with beer so I will be giving this a try soon.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — January 9, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

I so wish the rest of my family loved brussels sprouts as much as I do. I bet I could convert them over with this recipe!

jennifurla — January 9, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

oh
    my
    goodness
    I already love them, so this has me dizzy.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 9, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

super clever and looks terrific

Bonnie K — January 9, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

You got me at bacon. :) I also love brussels sprouts. Maybe this recipe will win over my husband.

Terese — January 9, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

This looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO good! We love sprouts….wonder what I could sub for the bacon since we are vegetarians?

Wenderly — January 9, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

I’ve only just begun my love affair with brussel sprouts! This dish just extends the honeymoon!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 9, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

these look too good to be true. love!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — January 9, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Beer Brussels sprouts? I’m sold. I think I could actually get my hubs to eat them this way!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — January 9, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

These look like the most perfect Brussels sprouts ever!

Anna @ hiddenponies — January 9, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

What a recipe title!! I don’t care what you’re putting bacon and beer on, I’m in!

Britney — January 9, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

Sounds great, such a perfect way to prepare brussels!

Cookin' Canuck — January 9, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

I’m guessing bacon and beer could convert even the most adamant Brussels sprouts hater. I also discovered that I really enjoy them when they are shredded and then sauteed. Lovely photos, Sommer!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — January 9, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Beautiful! I am a lover of Brussels sprouts. We are a dying breed for sure! These look delish and I absolutely love the bowls!

A Canadian Foodie — January 9, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

They look gorgeous, but still don’t think my husband would like them.
    V

Maria — January 9, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

Great side to any meal!

leslie — January 9, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

For real??? You added beer???? I. LOVE. YOU!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — January 9, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

Dear Sommer, This looks simply irresistible :) And absolutely love the addition of bacon!

HUGS <3

Jeanette — January 9, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

Who could resist brussels sprouts with beer and bacon!

Monet — January 9, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

For a girl who already loves Brussels Sprouts, this looks like heaven. Thank you for the tempting post. After a very stressful day, I’m finally sitting down to tea, and it is so relaxing to see these deliciously treated sprouts and read your words. I hope you are having a blessed start to your new year. Much love from Austin!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 9, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Those are the most gorgeous Brussels sprouts I’ve ever seen and if they look that good then they must taste good too!

Katie @Epicurean Mom — January 9, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Are you kidding me Sommer?? Bacon and Beer?? My heart just went pitter patter! Love this!!

Sweet Woman — January 10, 2012 @ 4:30 am

Look forward to making these for a friend who loves beer..she needs to learn to like brussels too! Thx sounds awesome!

Angie's Recipes — January 10, 2012 @ 5:51 am

These look so appetizing! Bacon, Beer, Brussels’ Sprout…3B delicious!

Joshua @ Beyond The Peel — January 10, 2012 @ 8:40 am

These look stupid good! I used to be that guy who hated brussel sprouts until my wife made them for me with bacon. Now I’m a believer. Seriously, what’s not to love? Next time we make them we’re adding the beer. Thanks Sommer!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 10, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Looks delicious! I’ve made sprouts before with bacon. But never beer! I’m going to have to add some the next time.

Emily @ Life on Food — January 10, 2012 @ 10:21 am

I love Brussels Sprouts already so you don’t have to convince me. These look fantastic though and I will be sure to try it out next time. The bacon will be an added bonus for my husband.

Anne — January 10, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I love Brussels sprouts anyway but with bacon and beer? Yes, please!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 10, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

I just tried Brussels sprouts for the first time this weekend, and they were way better than I thought they would be – even got hubby to agree I could make them again! Add bacon and beer? YES Please!

Kelly — January 10, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

I believe that the Brussels sprouts waiting in my fridge must be used for this recipe! It looks incredible!

Living The Sweet Life — January 10, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

I used to despise brussel sprouts… and then I sautéed them in butter …. and I added the bacon. TOTAL brussel sprout 360!! This is a fabulous recipe

Dmarie — January 10, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

oh, my, here’s hoping this will be the recipe to win my Hubby back to eating Brussels sprouts! thx, Spicy!

marla — January 10, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

I love B Sprouts with bacon but I have not tried them with beer. Love the idea!

30A EATS — January 11, 2012 @ 5:02 am

All my favorites! Perfect combo’s! Yum! Love beer recipes, and this is a keeper!

carolinaheartstrings — January 11, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

That is a great combination. My husband might even try a brussel sprout made with beer! Come visit. Tomorrow we are making roasted vegetables with grape seed oil. Delicious.

Lisa — January 11, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

I finally got my husband to eat brussels sprouts after roasting them with olive oil and salt. What a fight it was to get him to try them, and then he loved them. I have always believed that if you don’t like something, you probably just haven’t had it prepared the right way for you. I can’t wait to try this…with beer and bacon, I know it won’t take any convincing this time!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 12, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

HA! I hear ya, my friend! If you say you don’t like Brussels sprouts, I just think you haven’t had them prepared correctly (most likely boiled or steamed… gross!)

This, however, should turn the skeptical into converts!

Alli — January 12, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I love brussel sprouts but yours sound out of this world. I can’t wait to try.

Beth Michelle — January 13, 2012 @ 6:55 am

I love brussels sprouts and this looks like the most perfect recipe to convert my husband to liking them too!! Your photos look so mouthwatering!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — January 13, 2012 @ 11:04 am

I absolutely LOVE braised Brussel Sprouts with bacon. I have never had it with beer before but this recipe is making me a believer. Bookmarked!

Denny Abler — January 24, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Brussels sprouts are my new most loved vegetable. This is going to be the next recipe I use when I get some more sprouts, how can you miss with bacon and beer. One question though: Do you drain the grease from the bacon or do you leave a little for coating and flavor?

Denise — January 27, 2012 @ 1:16 am

These look marvelous! We love brussel sprouts and I have enjoyed them with bacon but never tried them with beer but it sounds delish! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

Fresh and Foodie — January 29, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

I’m in love!

RisaG — February 18, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

I adore brussel sprouts and don’t understand people who don’t. They must’ve had bad brussel sprouts as a kid or as an adult. My mom was one of those folks who over boiled them to death. I couldn’t stand them as a child BUT then I found Ina Garten’s Roasted Brussel Sprouts in her first Barefoot Contessa book and fell in love. So easy and so yummy. These look really good too. For months my son said he hated them (he hadn’t even tried them) but the last time I made them I insisted that he try them and that was it – he said that “it was like eating candy” and he had his whole serving.

I am going to try this recipe. Thanks a lot.

Suejette — February 23, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

I bought 2 lbs. of baby brussels sprouts the other day and I made your recipe this evening. Mind you, I have made and eaten brussels sprouts with beer and bacon before and it was incredibly delicious. However, when I made it 15 – 20 years ago there was (to my knowledge) no IPA beer. The recipe that I made called for a stout. Comparing the two, I’ll have to say (sorry) that the stout was much better than the IPA. I will say that my husband loved the sprouts that I made this evening, so maybe it’s just a matter of beer taste. Thank you so much for the recipe.

jenny vandevyvere — May 2, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

I’m gonna make this tonight… stay tuned

jenny — May 2, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

gonna make this tonight.. stay tuned

Jeff Lowman — April 9, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Those pictures are ridiculous! Spot on!

bling rhinestone iphone cases — October 26, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after browsing
    through some of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless,
    I’m certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be bookmarking it and
    checking back frequently!

jo jefferson — December 15, 2013 @ 10:42 am

OMG !!! I made these for a holiday dinner potluck this afternoon and am standing in the kitchen picking away at them they are so good!!!!!! (by the way its 9 am )

Chris M — February 18, 2014 @ 9:53 am

I made this for my GF and she loved it. I saw the IPA in your photos so I also brewed it with an IPA. The recipe was fantastic and I will make it again, but I think it’s best to use a less bitter beer. I could taste the bitterness from the hops concentrated in this recipe as the ipa cooked down. I have a doppel bock in my fridge for the next batch. Thanks for posting this great recipe.

1. Pingback: Pinterest for Bloggers

2. Pingback: Carbonnades à la Flamande (Belgian Beef and Onion Stew)

3. Pingback: food

4. Pingback: Adelicii | Kitchen Fling #19

5. Pingback: Things I Love Thursday, vol. 18 « Dressed to Chill

6. Pingback: Learn the 3 B's: Bacon, Beer and Brussel Sprouts : Solid Gold Eats

7. Pingback: Motha vs. Turk-zilla!! « Burnt Is A Flavor

8. Pingback: Friday links « Whitbull

9. Pingback: Beer Recipe: Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup « Volume by Alcohol

10. Pingback: The Buzz On…BEER | The Hob-bee Hive

11. Pingback: Braised Brussels Sprouts « bowersbakingandbabies

12. Pingback: Carbonnades à la Flamande (Belgian Beef and Onion Stew) | BROOKLYN ATLAS

13. Pingback: Baked Lemon Chicken, Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer – Sunday | You May Now Kiss the Cook!

14. Pingback: BeerLES: Breaking Craft Beer News | A Very Terrapin Thanksgiving - BeerLES: Breaking Craft Beer News

15. Pingback: the “cake” of the mondays… | House of Mayhem & Chaos

16. Pingback: Stuffed Flank Steak with Prosciutto and Wild Mushrooms (GIVEAWAY) | A Spicy Perspective

17. Pingback: Cooking With Beer: Braised Brussels Sprouts With Bacon & Beer | 99 Bottles of Beer on the Blog

18. Pingback: I Don’t Always Drink Beer, But When I Do… – Wolverine Cuizine