Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cran-Pomegranate Sauce

Pumpkin Trifle

Today I’m participating in a virtual Holiday Brunch Potluck. A bunch of us crazy food bloggers have teamed up to offer you a dazzling holiday meal.

We have each brought something special to the table, I hope you enjoy.

I’m serving a gorgeous Pumpkin Trifle with old fashioned gingerbread, whipped pumpkin cream, and tangy cranberry pomegranate sauce. To me, these are the flavors that SCREAM holidays, so why not combine them in a vibrant festive showcase?

Gingerbread Trifle

The gingerbread trifle base starts with dense traditional gingerbread, a heavy, lightly sweetened cake with intense flavor. Light and fluffy pumpkin cream adds contrast to the gingerbread, while the sweet and tart cranberry sauce offers POP with pomegranate essence and a splash of raspberry liqueur. Every holiday dessert needs a little boozy nip to warm the tummy on cold winter evenings.

How To Make Trifle

This Pumpkin Trifle is a feast for the eyes, as well as the palate. In addition, it makes a fantastic edible centerpiece for your holiday table.

Make sure to check out all the glorious dishes on the potluck menu below!

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Macaroni & Cheese – Naomi from Bakers Royale

Dessert
Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce – Sommer
Almond Brickle Coffee Cake – Kathy from Cooking On the Side
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream – Cheryl from TidyMom

Party Favor/Hostess Gift
Dark Chocolate Bark with Ginger, Pumpkin Seeds and Apricots – Sylvie from Gourmande in the Kitchen

Yield: 8-10 servings

1 cup heavy cream
2 – 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 small pomegranate, arils removed

Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Place all the ingredients for the cranberry sauce in the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat a little and simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken. The sauce should be a thin jelly consistency that will thicken when it chills. Remove from heat and place in the fridge.

For the gingerbread, grease an 8 X 8 baking dish and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, molasses, egg, spices and salt together until smooth. Slowly add the flour and whisk until well combined.

Heat ½ cup tap water until it’s hot to the touch. Mix the baking soda into the hot water, then slowly whisk the water into the batter. Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.

Once cooled flip out of the pan and cut into 1 inch cubes.

For the pumpkin cream, whip 1 cup of heavy cream with an electric mixer. Set the whipped cream aside, and using a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, sugar and pumpkin pie spice together until fluffy and smooth. Scrape the bowl and gently beat the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture.

Once the cranberry sauce has chilled, start layering the gingerbread trifle: 1/3 cake cubes on the bottom, 1/3 pumpkin cream, half the cranberry sauce. Repeat. On the top, place the last 1/3 of gingerbread cubes and top with the last of the pumpkin cream. Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils. You should have 3 layers of cake, 3 layers of cream, and 2 layers of cranberry.

QUICKIE VERSION: The holidays can be crazy! Make this even faster by buying gingerbread cake at a bakery and GOOD pre-made cranberry sauce from a gourmet grocery store. Make the pumpkin cream and layer as directed.

56 Responses to “Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cran-Pomegranate Sauce”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 6, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Oh my! This sounds fantastic! That sauce alone is drinkable :)

Jeanette — December 6, 2011 @ 8:57 am

Sommer – this trifle does scream Holidays! Stunning visually and I can only imagine how decadent this tastes. Wish we could host a real brunch to taste each other’s treats.

Baker Street — December 6, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Wow! That looks seriously good! Can’t wait to try it.

Helene — December 6, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Oh my that looks delicious. I especially like that sauce on top.

The Farmers Wife — December 6, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Oh wow… This looks beyond amazing! I would gladly eat a giant helping of that right now! Fantastic recipe!

Kiri W. — December 6, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Mmmm, that looks amazing! I love gingerbread, and pumpkin cream must accent it beautifully. The color splash of your dessert is to die for :)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — December 6, 2011 @ 10:44 am

so pretty! Looks fantastic girl!

Kristen — December 6, 2011 @ 11:36 am

What a beautiful trifle. It just screams “festive!” That whole meal sounds delightful.

jennifurla — December 6, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Oh my goodness, I could barely wait for the pictures as I read the title…yummy

easyfoodsmith — December 6, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

OMG! what beautiful colours and an amazing trifle. It is oozing of the festivity in air!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — December 6, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

This is stunning!! I always forget about how gorgeous, and delicious, trifles are!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — December 6, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Sommer! This is incredible! I love the colours first off but it is an absolutely perfect combo of Christmas flavours. Sherry Trifle – you are so over! Make way for a Spicy Perspective on this dessert!

vianney — December 6, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

Love the colors, totally need ot make a trifle soon, thanks!!

Diane {Created by Diane} — December 6, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

This is so pretty. Must be so wonderful, I have my fork all ready to dig in :)

Emily @ Life on Food — December 6, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Beautiful holiday dish. I love all of the ingredients. Cannot imagine having them all combined. Will have to try this out soon.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 6, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

Now that’s a showstopper! I’m coming to your house for brunch. ;-)

A Canadian Foodie — December 6, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

What an outstandingly gorgeous dessert that just screams: “HAPPY HOLIDAYS” and the flavours would be just as bold. Love the intense colour of the sauce. Stunning. I think I could add some of the sour cherries I have in my freezer to this with still great effect.
    V

carolinaheartstrings — December 6, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

This looks so beautiful. Fantastic job. I know it tastes as good as it looks.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — December 6, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

This looks so incredibly good! Love the combo of the gingerbread and pumpkin!

torviewtoronto — December 6, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

dessert looks fabulous lovely colourful combination

Kathy - Panini Happy — December 6, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

This is SO pretty, Sommer!

JulieD — December 6, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

This looks amazing, Sommer! This would be a huge hit at my house!

TidyMom — December 7, 2011 @ 7:37 am

What a stunning and delicious dessert!! I love the combo of flavors!!

Curt — December 7, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Oh man, I love trifle, and this looks so delicious! I love pomegranates.

Rosa — December 7, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

Mmmmhhh, delicious! I love trifles.

Cheers,

Rosa

Maria — December 7, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Gorgeous trifle!

Angie's Recipes — December 7, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I love trifle too! This looks amazing! Stunning colour.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) — December 7, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

That would be a spectacular centerpiece for any holiday meal!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — December 7, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

What a beautiful dessert! The flavors sound so delicious and I am a sucker for anything with ginger lately.

Dmarie — December 7, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Nisrine — December 7, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

Delicious trifle and photos, Sommer. I love gingerbread and this one looks supermoist.

Lora ~ cakeduchess — December 7, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

Gorgeous trifle Sommer. I adore gingerbread and need to try this recipe during the holidays. I like your quicker version option too:)xo

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 8, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Love the colors in this! Gorgeous!

Divya @flavourfiesta — December 8, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Wow, that’s definitely not the trifle I’m used to. I love how it’s like a more grown-up and gourmet version of the classic trifle. You’ve got talent, girl!

Delishhh — December 8, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

OMG this looks soo good – awesome pictures too.

Georgia Pellegrini — December 9, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Now that is a show-stopping holiday dessert. The flavor combination sounds divine. Thanks for the recipe!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — December 9, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Very festive! I’m digging that Mudslide Martini… such a great lineup of food and bloggers!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — December 14, 2011 @ 6:17 am

so pretty and inviting!

Kalyn — December 17, 2011 @ 9:28 am

The photos of this dish are just stunning and it sounds amazing.

moncler コート — September 7, 2013 @ 2:47 am

財布 ハンドメイド

1. Pingback: Virtual Holiday Potluck {Recipe: Godiva Mudslide Martini} | Dine and Dish

2. Pingback: Gingerbread Cupcakes and Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream | TidyMom

3. Pingback: the little kitchen » Potato Casserole & a Virtual Holiday Brunch Potluck

4. Pingback: Asian Fusion Omelette or Frittata Recipe for a Holiday Brunch Potluck - Dairy Free - Jeanette's Healthy Living

5. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Bark with Ginger Pumpkin Seeds and Apricots Recipe | gourmandeinthekitchen.com

6. Pingback: Bon Appetit’s Macaroni and Cheese & a Virtual BrunchPotluck | Bakers Royale

7. Pingback: Gingerbread French Toast with Gingerbread Butter | Created by Diane

8. Pingback: Recipe: Almond Brickle Coffee Cake | Cooking On the Side

9. Pingback: Hazelnut Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Virtual Holiday Brunch Potluck)

10. Pingback: Delicious Thanksgiving No-Bake Treats | Easy Food

11. Pingback: 27 Incredible No-Bake Desserts for After Thanksgiving Feast | PurpleWig

12. Pingback: パーティ上級者必見!簡単、ゴージャス、ヘルシー、おいしい生フルーツケーキ集 | シュゲイブ

13. Pingback: Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce | Pie Recipes, Pie Crust, Tips & Tricks and latest Trends

14. Pingback: 50 Holiday Sides, Dinners, and Desserts | The Recipe Critic

15. Pingback: Simply Sinful! Learn How to Make This Irresistable Christmas Dessert | The Trent

16. Pingback: Cook Up a Storm this Festive Season! | ShopandBox