POG Punch

POG Juice

Turn a traditional POG juice into an exciting Hawaiian Cocktail! This holiday punch will delight your guests and add a little tropical flair to your dinner party this week.

Aloha! As many of you already know, I’ve been in Hawaii the last couple weeks. Some friends of ours decided to get married on Maui and we just HAD to go. Honestly, I wish more of my friends would get married in Hawaii. …If you have wedding plans in some tropical paradise and are looking for a matron-of-honor, I’m your girl.

Hawaiian Cocktail

Thanks to my wonderful parents, the kids stayed home and my hubby and I had some desperately needed alone time. Here are some of the beautiful views we experienced in a calm child-free environment.

MauiMaui SunsetHanalei BayWaimea CanyonKauai Rainbow

One of our goals was to take in as much local food as humanly possible. (Serious resolutions coming in January.) Although we had plenty of hoity-toity spaghetti-strap dinners, we also hit all the dives known to draw locals.

It seems like EVERY restaurant in Hawaii serves a beverage called POG. That is, Passion Fruit-Orange-Guava juice, for us mainlanders. After tasting POG juice, my mind was an explosion of ideas. Of course it tastes great on it’s own, but POG could be more. So much more.

You can buy premixed POG on every island in Hawaii, but mainlanders will most likely have to mix it themselves.

POG Juice: 2 parts Passion Fruit Juice, 2 parts Pink Guava Nectar, 1 part Orange Juice.

POG RecipeDazzling goblets from Villeroy & Boch.

To turn this exotic fruity beverage into the perfect holiday punch, I simply added Malibu Rum (coconut flavored) and Champagne. For a kiddie cocktail you could add ginger ale or club soda.

This Hawaiian Cocktail is a new favorite in our house and a sure hit at our Christmas gathering next week. Forget “Let it Snow,” we’ll be singing “Mele Kalikimaka” all evening long!

Yield: 10 servings

Hawaiian Cocktail ~ POG Punch

POG Juice :
3 cups Pink Guava Nectar (juice)
3 cups Passion Fruit Juice
1 1/2 cups Orange Juice

For the POG Punch Hawaiian Cocktail:
7 1/2 cups POG juice
10 oz. Malibu Rum
750 ml. bottle of dry champagne
ice
Fresh tropical fruit to garnish

In a large punch bowl, mix the ingredients for the POG juice.

Add the rum and champagne and garnish with fresh tropical fruit. Add ice if needed.

To make by the glass, mix 3/4 cup POG, 1 oz. Malibu Rum and 1/3 cup champagne. Stir and add ice.

More Brilliant Beverage Ideas:

Berry Blast Nimbu Pani

Chocolate Guinness Floats

Hibiscus Ginger Martinis

Frost Bite Mocktail ~ The Little Kitchen

Negroni Italian Cocktail ~ Bell’ Alimento

Vermontucky Lemonade ~ Smitten Kitchen

Cranberry Ginger Mulled Wine ~ All Day I Dream About Food

32 Responses to “POG Punch”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 19, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Yum! Put this in an IV and I’m set :P

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — December 19, 2011 @ 8:07 am

What a wonderful adventure! Glad you had a good safe trip and enjoyed the local flavor. January is coming and I’m ready for a serious diet – did you have any macadamia nut pie while on the island? Your photos are terrific and this recipe sounds yummy!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — December 19, 2011 @ 8:07 am

That is a lovely drink and the views from your trip are breath taking!

Bev Weidner — December 19, 2011 @ 8:25 am

UM, YES.

Nava Krishnan — December 19, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Thats is surely a lovely place to go to, especially with a loved one and the punch fits in perfect.

I want friends who get married in Hawaii too. I also want me some POG. Just saying it makes me smile. I can’t imagine what the punch would do. :)

Jeanette — December 19, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Hawaii is one of my favorite places – we’ve been fortunate enough to have visited there the last two summers. You can’t beat the weather and the scenery – and POG!

Curt — December 19, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Awesome! Nothing like a good holiday cocktail!

Kim Bee — December 19, 2011 @ 9:37 am

This is lovely, the pictures are such a breath of fresh air with all the Christmas posts right now. I’ve actually had this drink while there years ago and it’s really good. They also made a blue drink that tasted a little like koolaid so I got a little carried away with it.

Delishhh — December 19, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Oh i love that stuff – we go to Hawaii every year just to break up the winter, and it is an easy hop from Seattle. Usually go to the Big Island. This year we went early in Oct. since i am due in 7 weeks. Time is flying by.

Britney — December 19, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

What a great combination of flavors!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — December 19, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

YUM-O!!! Perfect getaway! I need a vacay soon and Hawaii sounds too good :)

jennifurla — December 19, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

hello & yum, it looks so super refreshing.

Bonnie K — December 19, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

That does look relaxing. I could see myself in a hammock with a POG and watching the ocean waves.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — December 19, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Can I just tell you how excited I am that you shared this!? I had roommates from the islands and we drank this ALL the time! I haven’t had in years. Gotta go make some with kalua pig and poi!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 19, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

Okay how is it that I’ve been to Hawaii a couple times already and do not remember POG juice?! Maybe that’s a good reason to plan a trip back? ;-)

Katie@Cozydelicious — December 19, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

This looks wonderful! So sunny and tropical. I need a Hawaiian cocktial – it is freezing here!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — December 19, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

Seems like you had a wonderful in Hawaii :) The pinch absolutely great, Sommer! Sending you lots of hugs <3

Marly — December 19, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

I don’t know what I’m salivating more for…the drink or the trip! Both look incredible. So glad you had a good time. So glad you returned with more wonderful recipes to share!

marla — December 19, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

How spectacular! All of this, the cocktail and your awesome trip. That rainbow is awesome!

marla — December 19, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

How many times can I say “Awesome” in one comment. Geesh I am tired ;)

Ann — December 20, 2011 @ 2:02 am

POG sounds delicious and I’m SO glad you got to go to Hawaii! I’ve not been there since I was a youngster, but it’s an amazing place! I agree – more friends SHOULD get married there!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — December 20, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Delicious! Those pictures look stunning! Glad you’re getting a little QT with your husband and having a fabulous trip.

carolinaheartstrings — December 20, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

What a wonderful place for a get away. I would love to go there someday. This drink looks fantastic and as always your pictures are terrific. We have a pimento cheese quiche appetizer this week. Delcious. Come over and visit. Merry Christmas!

Angie's Recipes — December 20, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Stunning clicks!
    The drink looks salivating too.

Lauren — December 20, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

Now I want to go to Hawaii. Gorgeous pictures!!

Steve @ HPD — December 21, 2011 @ 7:25 am

I’m getting old … killed too many brain cells … but somehow, despite living in Hawaii for three years, I forgot all about POG.

What’s the deal with POG caps? Or, was the deal? There was a certain brand of POG juice that came in a bottle with a special cap, maybe something silly written inside it. And kids would collect them. Or use them for checkers or something. Going to have to look that up.

Anyhoo, thanks for giving my brain a kick start this morning. Cheers and happy holidays!!

Wenderly — December 21, 2011 @ 8:32 am

OH my gosh did I ever need a dose a beautiful sunshine right now! How gorgeous!

Kiri W. — December 28, 2011 @ 3:02 am

That looks like such a perfectly refreshing drink :)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — December 28, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

Wow!! How long were you there? I used to live in Hawaii in the early 90′s. What a wonderful way to spend time with hubby. Glad you had fun, and I look forward to more vacation posts soon.

Alion @ Ingredients Inc. — December 28, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

looks like heaven to me!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 28, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

What a fun cocktail :) And gorgeous travel photos! Looks like you had a great time.