Hawaiian Ahi Poke

Poke Recipe

Looking for intriguing party recipes for New Years? This perky Poke Recipe could be the life of your party. Hawaiian Ahi Poke makes a splash on the islands, has elegant appeal, and takes only moments to make.

When you think of standard Hawaiian foods, what come to mind? Kalua Pork, Fresh Grilled Fish, Poi, Lomi Lomi, Hawaiian Sweet Bread, POG, Spam… Poke.

Ahi Poke

Poke, pronounced both po-kee and po-kay, is a lesser known Hawaiian favorite. This raw seafood salad, a cross between sushi and ceviche, is loved by both the locals and the haole (white folk) that come to stay. You can find fresh pre-made Poke at every fish counter in Hawaiian grocery stores and at seafood markets across the state. Locals often stop by the market several times a week for this quick and healthy lunch.

Spicy Poke Recipe

I have to confess, we made it a goal to test every Poke Recipe we could find during our time in Hawaii, eating it nearly every day. We ate Ahi poke, octopus poke, crab poke, oyster poke, mussel poke and several other Hawaiian fish varieties. Our favorite, by far, was the Ahi Poke. Rich, tender, sashimi grade Ahi tuna dressed with simple ingredients to allow the essence of the raw fish to shine.

Poke is versatile and recipes are made to taste. The main components in every style are:  extremely fresh seafood, Maui onion, and soy sauce. All other ingredients are negotiable.

Hawaiian Poke

Hawaiian Poke makes an incredible first course at a holiday dinner party and can be served as shots at a cocktail party. It is likely to be the quickest recipe you make and have the biggest impact on your party guests. This Poke Recipe has only seven ingredients and can be made the morning of the party and set out right before it starts. If you like sushi or ceviche, you will LOVE poke!

Ahi Poke RecipeModern party pieces from Villeroy & Boch.

Yield: 6-8 servings

Ahi Poke Recipe

2 large sashimi grade Ahi tuna steaks (1 1/2 lbs.)
1 shallot, sliced
1/2 cup chopped green onion
3 Tb. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. chili garlic sauce
1 Tb. sesame seeds

Pat the Ahi dry, then neatly cut it into small 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a bowl.

Add the shallots, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and sesame seeds.

Gently toss. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

*For another variation, omit the chili sauce and add 1/2 tsp. wasabi paste and 1 tsp. honey.

51 Responses to “Hawaiian Ahi Poke”

Diane {Created by Diane} — December 27, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

I’d hop in the car and come right over if I thought there would be any leftovers…..but I’m sure there were none :) looks so pretty and delicious. I will be giving this a try. I just have to find out where to buy sushi grade tuna.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — December 27, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

Mmmm… that Ahi poke looks so drool-worthy!!! I want some. Like now :D

marla — December 27, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

I would be all over this any time of the year. If this was at a party I would hide in the corner & eat all of it!! Love poke & I have never made it. So very simple though!

Julie M. — December 27, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

This is a dish my husband will be all over. He adores raw tuna in any form. Your photos are gorgeous as well! have a wonderful new year Sommer. I look forward to sharing recipes in the new year!

Kiri W. — December 28, 2011 @ 3:04 am

Oh man, delicious! I love ahi tuna so much, and it shines best in simple dishes like this one. Wonderful!

Steve @ HPD — December 28, 2011 @ 7:38 am

I’ll never forget a “who’s on first?” type conversation with the fish guy at the Koneohe commissary. They had lomi lomi salmon, poke, and a couple of other raw fish salads, with a sign above them saying “It is recommended that all fish is cooked to X degrees to ensure safety.”

I asked the guy, “Cook it? Really? I thought it was supposed to be eaten raw.”

“Yes, you cook it.”

“So, then, it’s not raw?”

“Yes, you eat it raw. Better raw.”

“But the sign? You’re saying to cook it?”

“Yes, cook it. Have to cook it.”

“So it’s not safe raw?”

“Very safe raw. Better raw. Eat it raw.”

“But the sign?”

“Yes, cook it.”

“Really cook it?”

“I don’t cook it.”

Went on for ten minutes or so.

Have really enjoyed following you this past year. Cheers and happy 2012!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — December 28, 2011 @ 9:32 am

This is beautiful Sommer! What a way to dress up a New Year’s party. It looks like your time in Hawaii was well spent!

Belinda @ zomppa — December 28, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

What a beautiful dish! The colors are just popping.

Brian @ A Thought For Food — December 28, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

How marvelous does this look!?! I love a good fish tartar

Liz — December 28, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

This must rate as my favorite appetizer ever! YUM! And that last photo is amazing!!

Alalyo Kiasi — December 28, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

I’ve seen many of your dessert posts, and this post has the same fresh and delectable look. Kudos!

Curt — December 28, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

need to get over my mental hangup on sushi and raw fish, and broaden my food varieties!

Alion @ Ingredients Inc. — December 28, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

love this. So healthy and looks so good

Katie@Cozydelicious — December 28, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

This hors d’oeuvre looks so beautiful! I love the idea of serving it as a bite sized treat, a little shot as part of a new years spread. Your photos are beautifil – the color of that fish is incredible!

• Lori B — January 3rd, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

In the spirit of the post, instead of hors d’oeuvre we call these appetizer-like dishes pupu in Hawaii. Aloha!

Robyn — December 28, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

wow, this looks amazing. We get great fish down here in South Florida, I’m definitely going to add this to my “to make” list. Great photos too! Inspiring me to try harder on my site :)

Cheers,

Robyn

Katie @ tastes good to me! — December 28, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

What a refreshing dish to make this time of year! Like others have said, the colors are beautiful. Yay for “po-kay”! (That couldn’t be helped.)

Kathy - Panini Happy — December 28, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I LOVE poke! There’s actually a poke bar at a grocery store near there so I treat myself to some when I shop there. Gotta try making it at home soon!

Jeanette — December 28, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I am a huge poke fan! When we were in Hawaii over the summer, we tried all different kinds from the local supermarket.

Miss @ Miss In The Kitchen — December 28, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

You are much more adventurous than I am! I do have to say this does look delish!

Carolyn — December 28, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Oh yum, I would love to try this! It looks so fresh and flavourful.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — December 28, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Looks like you had some great eats while laying around on island time! Yum – this is a truly beautiful dish. Have a happy New Year!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 28, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Looks delicious. I love poke. I’ll have to agree with the others above – such beautiful color!

Lauren — December 28, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Gorgeous!!

vianney — December 29, 2011 @ 3:18 am

I would love to try this, simple yet full of flavor. another winner sommer!!

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — January 7, 2012 @ 1:33 am

What a beautiful presentation! I didn’t realize how simple this dish was to prepare, definitely giving this a try. Thank you!

Anne — January 9, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

To really take it over the top, use Aloha Brand Shoyu (soy sauce). Kikkoman is a little too salty (if that’s possible). Ono recipe!

Cécy — January 11, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I love Ahi Poki, and Lomilomi Salmon. My In-Laws are from Maui and the few times we went there I just loved the food. Especially all the fresh seafood. For our wedding a few years ago my SIL made us Lomi Lomi Salmon.
    I might have to do Poki at home now.

Pete — April 14, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

I love Poke! Most of the time when I’ve had it, it also had seaweed in it? Is this just one of those regional things?

Patti — September 30, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

We made this recipe last night, it was perfect. Everyone loved it and we will definitely do it again soon. Incredibly fast & easy. We served immediately.

GiGi Eats Celebrities — January 1, 2013 @ 12:45 am

Absolutely, 100% stunning, pinning this immediately! :)

Leslie K — January 25, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

I have been looking for an authentic version of this Hawaiian dish for a while. It was absolutely my favourite thing to eat while I was in Honolulu. Thanks you so much for sharing. Will be trying this oh so soon!

Kate — February 25, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

Hey!

If there are any leftovers what would be the suggested way of storing it or would it be a complete lost?

• Sommer — February 25th, 2013 @ 6:24 pm

You can refrigerate it for a day or two. :)

• Kate — February 25th, 2013 @ 7:51 pm

THANKS! I was planning on making some just for my husband and I because we love ahi-poke, but was a little worried about leftovers. Anyways, thanks again!

• John Collins — June 13th, 2013 @ 3:25 pm

If it starts to “humm” after two days you throw it in a hot pan an sear it lightly. Then dump it over a tossed salad for a fried ahi poke salad. Really ONO!!!!

After four days fried it hard and with scrambled eggs and make a fried poke omelet.
      Broke da mouth good!

JC from Hawaii Kai

larry — April 19, 2013 @ 9:21 am

This brings back memories from when our Military Family was stationed in Hawaii. Family use to get the Ahi Poke from local Military Commissary in Pearl Harbor and it was so good. I would say this best entry level sushi recipe/dish. Once you’ve experienced this, you can try making some Sushi-rice dishes like Tuna or Samon Nigiri, which don’t require rolling.

In my area, in the Southeast, it’s difficult to find sushi grade tuna (Ahi – Pacific Yellow Fin) in stores; however, we are able some decent tuna (alantic yellow / blue fin ?). Go thing about Poke is the flavor other ingrediants can make up the differance when Ahi is not available.

sushi Cat 3 addicting Games — May 2, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how about unexpected emotions.

gina @ skinnytaste — June 28, 2013 @ 10:09 am

I like anything tuna, I really want to jump into the screen and eat some of these!

Katie — August 4, 2013 @ 4:29 pm

I made this and it is the BEST ever!!! So simple and tastes amazing!!! :-)

Nora — October 27, 2013 @ 6:13 pm

Looks beautiful AND delicious!!!

Caroline — January 13, 2014 @ 2:39 pm

I was recently in Hawaii and had an opportunity to go to their grocery store, Foodland. The fish department offered many variations of Poke right their in the case. I opted for a 1/2 lb. of Ahi with Kukui nut, a 1/2 lb. of traditional Ahi Poke and 1 lb. of their Clam Poke which was a cooked version that was delicious. Will make this recipe now that I am home.

1. Pingback: Villeroy & Boch Blog Recipe: Ahi Tuna Poke — Villeroy & Boch Blog

2. Pingback: Things I Like Thursday -The Healthy Post | Crazy Jamie's Blog

3. Pingback: Daily inspiration #005

4. Pingback: 7: Hawaiian Poke, a raw seafood salad that I crave more than sushi. Photo and recipe by Sommer Collier. - Where Home Starts

5. Pingback: Aloha! Why not try some Hawaiian Recipes? | For Women

6. Pingback: Wine & Dine with Stella Rosa: Make your own Ahi Tuna Poke! | Stella Rosa Wines

7. Pingback: Wedding Food: 10 Seafood Appetizers to Try | Mexico Wedding Expert