Peppermint Fudge

Peppermint Fudge

Goodbye Fall, Hello Winter. There’s no better way to usher in the winter holidays than with a good dose of chocolatey Peppermint Fudge.

My family has had a roller coaster fall, filled with moments of sheer chaos and others of light-hearted bliss. Knowing I needed a little pick-me-up, my husband surprised me with my first hot air balloon ride. I cannot express the overwhelming childlike delight I felt, riding high above the mountain tops, drinking in the crisp air and heavenly surroundings. It was an occasion I will never forget.

The perfect way to say goodbye to fall.

But now I’m ready for Christmas and all the excitement it entails.

This time of year, dreams of sugar plums dance in my head… along with a plethora of dancing cookies and silky Peppermint Fudge.

Peppermint Fudge Recipe

Chocolate Fudge has a reputation of being a bit of a diva: temperamental, hard to handle, you never know how it’s going to react. Well honey, this Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Recipe is a low maintenance kind of girl: simple, straightforward, and easy to be around.

This fudge recipe is a fantastic spring board for all-things-fudge. With just a handful of ingredients you get a soft sinfully silky, yet dense, fudge that screams HOLIDAYS the moment you taste it.

Cook’s Notes:

The texture of GOOD fudge is derived by SLOWLY melting the chocolate into the mixture. Heating the chocolate too fast will result in grainy fudge. The best way to do this is by heating the chocolate mixture in a glass bowl sitting over a small pot of simmering water. You could also microwave it in 30 second increments, on medium heat.

IF… your fudge does get grainy, that means it heated too quickly and is starting to dry out. You can fix it by adding WATER. Add about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water to the mixture and bring the temperature back up. Stir until a smooth, yet THICK, texture appears.

(I wish you could see just how SLOW this actually poured.)

To set properly, fudge needs to be the consistency of a REALLY thick cake batter. ALMOST to thick to pour, but not quite. If it’s looser than that, it won’t firm up enough and will be hard to cut and pick up. Keep the mixture over heat, until the right thickness is reached.

For a bubble-free consistency, I like to gently tap the fudge pan on the counter. Not just a couple times, but for a minute or two. This works all the air bubbles up to the surface.

Best Fudge Recipe

Fudge is very quick to make, but takes time to set. Plan for anywhere from 3 to 8 hours in the fridge before cutting.

Yield: up to 64 pieces

Peppermint Fudge

1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tb. butter + extra for buttering the dish
1 lb. dark chocolate chips/chunks
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Andes Peppermint Chunks

Grease a 8 X 8 or 8 X 11 baking dish. Sprinkle half the peppermint chunks in the bottom of the dish and set aside.

Place a medium sauce pot over medium heat with 2 inches of water. Place a glass bowl over the top--making sure the glass doesn't touch the water.

Pour the condensed milk and butter in the bowl and heat.

Add the chocolate chips and salt in the bowl. Stir the chocolate and watch as it melts and thickens--about 5 minutes.

The mixture should thicken to a THICK cake batter consistency--almost too thick to pour.

Add both extracts and mix well.

Pour the mixture into the dish. Gently tap the dish on the counter for at least a minute to allow air bubbles to rise to the surface and to smooth the surface.

Sprinkle the remaining peppermint chips over the top and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, maybe longer, to set.

To cut, dip a sharp knife in hot tap water, wipe and cut quickly. Dip and wipe the knife between cuts. Cut into 1 inch squares.

More Fudgy Creations:

Peanut Butter Fudge ~ Brown Eyed Baker

Red Velvet Fudge ~ I Am Baker

Coconut Milk Fudge ~ Smitten Kitchen

Mocha Hot Fudge Sauce ~ Joy the Baker

89 Responses to “Peppermint Fudge”

Helene — November 30, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

Drooling over the pictures. What a nice winter treat.

Asmita — November 30, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

Gorgeous photographs and the chocolate peppermint is so perfect for the holidays. Such a great gift.

naomi — December 2, 2011 @ 12:43 am

You had me at peppermint!

Debbie — December 4, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Looks beautiful, do you think you could leave out the peppermint for just chocolate fudge, I would love both

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — December 5, 2011 @ 10:40 am

I haven’t made fudge in years! This recipe just may be what will break that. Perfect for the usual baked goods swap during Christmas!

Dana — December 6, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Ug. I didn’t get it right. Mine was more like a chocolate brick. I melted the chocolate slowly, must not have been slowly enough. It became grainy and dull. I’m so mad. I want to be a good candy maker, especially fudge. Oh well, it still went into peoples holiday goodie box. Tasted fine.

Joy — December 8, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Omg thank you so much for the tip. My fudge always turns out grainy and i could not figure it out.

NanaScriv — December 12, 2011 @ 7:15 am

Found some of this fudge in your freezer, while you were sunning in Hawaii. Took out four pieces and we ate it while watching Puss In Boots at the movies yesterday. Wow, some tastie fudge–and the kids with Pops and Nans loved the movie. Hurry home!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — December 13, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

Love these pictures!! How beautiful. Love the idea of peppermint fudge….I’ve never thought of it. :)

Terris@ Free Eats — December 16, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Wow. These photos are divine and make mouth water! Gorgeous fudge that is definitely gift worthy.

Mary — November 4, 2012 @ 2:15 am

Does the bowl have to be glass? Would a metal bowl work?

Tressan Moore — December 9, 2012 @ 1:58 am

The photos are gorgeous. I want to make the fudge for a party next weekend. Where can I get the Andes peppermint crunch? I found it on-line but might not get here in time. Thanks so much for answering. T.

Nicole — December 13, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

I’m definitely going to try this for my holiday baking! Does 1-TB butter mean one tablespoon, or something else?

Thanks!

• Sommer — December 13th, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Yep, 1 tablespoon. :)

Let me know how they turn out!

Justin — December 13, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

Yum! Looks so good! I love mint and chocolate together.

Cheryl — October 26, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

I am going to try this recipe with Spearmint essential oil instead of peppermint.
    This should be delish!!

Elizabeth Winchester — December 6, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Is your butter salted or unsalted? I made your recipe using unsalted and it seemed fine, but I wanted to clarify. Thanks. People said it was rich and good.

• Sommer — December 7th, 2013 @ 7:37 am

I always use unsalted butter, but you could use either. :)

Jess — December 18, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

I cant find the Andes chunks where i am. Anything else i can replace them with? Are they the same as peppermint baking chips?

• Sommer — December 19th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

They are different than peppermint baking chips, but you could sub those. Walmart Super Center always has the Andes baking chips this time of year…

1. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge-Amazing « My Kitchen Adventures

2. Pingback: Addictive Mint Fudge: Crazy Cooking Challenge : Cookin' with Moxie

3. Pingback: Sweet Treats Christmas Gift Ideas « Give & Gift

4. Pingback: A Perfect Holiday Treat: Peppermint Fudge!

5. Pingback: Christmas Countdown: #7 Peppermint Fudge | Cupcakes, Cakepops & Cookies

6. Pingback: 12 Peppermint Christmas Recipes {with pictures} | Fruit Heights Friends

7. Pingback: Fabulous Five Minute Fudge

8. Pingback: The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Desserts - One Fun Mom

9. Pingback: 50 Peppermint Desserts - Something Swanky

10. Pingback: Peppermint fudge | It's what's for dinner…

11. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge | chocolate & carrots

12. Pingback: Peppermint Chocolate Fudge Recipe | Chocolate Driven

13. Pingback: Homemade Candy Recipes: Top 10 Chocolate Recipes to Make and Share!

14. Pingback: Must-Try Recipes For Fudge - MotivaNova - MotivaNova

15. Pingback: How the Grinch Stole Christmas film paired with Whobilation food | Film and food

16. Pingback: 20+ Christmas Cookies with Winter Cool Peppermint: Ultimate Holiday Cookie Round-Up | The Jenny Evolution

17. Pingback: {Holiday Recipes, Bucket List, Gift Ideas and Crafts} | Lily Photography by Elizabeth Chandler

18. Pingback: Peppermint Dessert Recipes | Baking Beauty