Peppermint Fudge

Peppermint Fudge

Goodbye Fall, Hello Winter. There’s no better way to usher in the winter holidays than with a good dose of chocolatey Peppermint Fudge.

My family has had a roller coaster fall, filled with moments of sheer chaos and others of light-hearted bliss. Knowing I needed a little pick-me-up, my husband surprised me with my first hot air balloon ride. I cannot express the overwhelming childlike delight I felt, riding high above the mountain tops, drinking in the crisp air and heavenly surroundings. It was an occasion I will never forget.

The perfect way to say goodbye to fall.

But now I’m ready for Christmas and all the excitement it entails.

This time of year, dreams of sugar plums dance in my head… along with a plethora of dancing cookies and silky Peppermint Fudge.

Peppermint Fudge Recipe

Chocolate Fudge has a reputation of being a bit of a diva: temperamental, hard to handle, you never know how it’s going to react. Well honey, this Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Recipe is a low maintenance kind of girl: simple, straightforward, and easy to be around.

This peppermint fudge recipe is a fantastic spring board for all-things-fudge. With just a handful of ingredients you get a soft sinfully silky, yet dense, fudge that screams HOLIDAYS the moment you taste it.

Cook’s Notes:

The texture of GOOD fudge is derived by SLOWLY melting the chocolate into the mixture. Heating the chocolate too fast will result in grainy fudge. The best way to do this is by heating the chocolate mixture in a glass bowl sitting over a small pot of simmering water. You could also microwave it in 30 second increments, on medium heat.

IF… your fudge does get grainy, that means it heated too quickly and is starting to dry out. You can fix it by adding WATER. Add about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water to the mixture and bring the temperature back up. Stir until a smooth, yet THICK, texture appears.

(I wish you could see just how SLOW this actually poured.)

To set properly, fudge needs to be the consistency of a REALLY thick cake batter. ALMOST to thick to pour, but not quite. If it’s looser than that, it won’t firm up enough and will be hard to cut and pick up. Keep the mixture over heat, until the right thickness is reached.

For a bubble-free consistency, I like to gently tap the fudge pan on the counter. Not just a couple times, but for a minute or two. This works all the air bubbles up to the surface.

Best Fudge Recipe

Fudge is very quick to make, but takes time to set. Plan for anywhere from 3 to 8 hours in the fridge before cutting.

Looking for more holiday treat recipes? We’ve got you covered here!

Yield: up to 64 pieces

Peppermint Fudge

• 1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter + extra for buttering the dish
  • 1 pound dark chocolate chips/chunks
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup Andes Peppermint Chunks

1. Grease a 8 X 8 or 8 X 11 baking dish. Sprinkle half the peppermint chunks in the bottom of the dish and set aside.
  2. Place a medium sauce pot over medium heat with 2 inches of water. Place a glass bowl over the top--making sure the glass doesn't touch the water.
  3. Pour the condensed milk and butter in the bowl and heat.
  4. Add the chocolate chips and salt in the bowl. Stir the chocolate and watch as it melts and thickens--about 5 minutes.
  5. The mixture should thicken to a THICK cake batter consistency--almost too thick to pour.
  6. Add both extracts and mix well.
  7. Pour the mixture into the dish. Gently tap the dish on the counter for at least a minute to allow air bubbles to rise to the surface and to smooth the surface.
  8. Sprinkle the remaining peppermint chips over the top and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, maybe longer, to set.
  9. To cut, dip a sharp knife in hot tap water, wipe and cut quickly. Dip and wipe the knife between cuts. Cut into 1 inch squares.

More Fudgy Creations:

Peanut Butter Fudge ~ Brown Eyed Baker

Red Velvet Fudge ~ I Am Baker

Coconut Milk Fudge ~ Smitten Kitchen

92 Responses to “Peppermint Fudge”

Belinda @zomppa — November 28, 2011 @ 7:24 am

How stunning! I have never been in hot air balloon – must be so incredible. You just put me in the holiday mood with these!

Steve @ HPD — November 28, 2011 @ 7:52 am

love those pix! not much i miss about the east coast, but fall colors are at the top of the list.

Kiri W. — November 28, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Gorgeous photography, both food- and landscape-wise! :)
    The fudge looks delicious, too, but man do I have to recover from Thanksgiving first!

Cookin' Canuck — November 28, 2011 @ 9:20 am

What fantastic photos of your hot air balloon ride! It looks as though the colors were spectacular. As for the fudge – well, chocolate and mint epitomize the holiday season for me. I could eat some of this treat everyday of the holidays.

Emily Malloy @Cleanliness — November 28, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Absolutely perfect!!!

My German Kitchen...in the Rockies — November 28, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Sommer, Great pictures from your balloon ride! How sweet of your husband.
    First, I really like the fudge dish. I almost bought one of these Polish pottery dishes the other day. They are so pretty.
    I have never made fudge, but your instructions look pretty straight forward. I am sure my family would love it. Thanks.
    Greetings
    Kirsten

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 28, 2011 @ 9:39 am

love this one! Great xmas gift

Maria — November 28, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Perfect for the holiday season!

Rikki — November 28, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Oh my goodness!! This looks so delicious..chocolate and peppermint..the perfect combination. And those pictures from the balloon ride look beautiful. What an amazing experience that must have been!

Curt — November 28, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Peppermint and fudge. A great combo for sure!

Jeanette — November 28, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Wow, gorgeous photos of your hot air balloon ride – your hubby sure knew what you needed!

RavieNomNoms — November 28, 2011 @ 10:34 am

WOW, your pictures are SOOOO amazing!! Just gorgeous

That fudge looks to die for. YUM!

sippitysup — November 28, 2011 @ 11:04 am

“Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat…” I can smell the holiday now. GREG

Cookin' Cowgirl — November 28, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Yum, yum, yum! How festive!! :)

Sneh | Cook Republic — November 28, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

yum yum! on my to make list for the party we are having next week. Thanks for sharing :)

Jessica @ How Sweet — November 28, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

this is SO PRETTY.
    !!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — November 28, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

I’ve always wanted to go an a balloon ride but get nervous at the thought of being up so high! The view from up there looks amazing though.

Skinny Fat Kid — November 28, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

Going to try and whip up a batch of these for the holidays or one of our rescue holiday parties. I’m sure I will get chocolate all over the kitchen but it will be worth it!

Sook — November 28, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

Oh I am so ready for Christmas too! I can’t wait to bake tons in December. This fudge looks absolutely wonderful.

Kocinera — November 28, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

That peppermint fudge looks so delicious! This year I have become mildly obsessed with peppermint and chocolate, so it’s always great to find another yummy recipe.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — November 28, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

This fudge could get me in to some serious trouble! And I mean SERIOUS!! Looks so freaking god!

jennifurla — November 28, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

I am in love with this grouping of photos, so rich!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — November 28, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Mmmm, this fudge looks great; however, I’m not sure if I’m ready for Winter yet! Perhaps because it’s 80 degrees today in San Diego.

vianney — November 28, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Love the pics!! How sweet is he, you totally deserve a treat!! I love, love fudge and what better month than Dec to indulge with this sweet treat!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — November 28, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

This looks wonderful…and easy!

I am pinning it to my Xmas board!

Saw it on FG…congrats :)

Liz — November 28, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

This is the most festive, lovely fudge. And what a sweet hubby…your views were breath taking…thank you for sharing them with us.

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — November 28, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

looks like the hot air balloon ride was amazing. Gorgeous photos!

Diane {Created by Diane} — November 28, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

what beautiful photos of ballooning, this fudge looks amazing!

carolinaheartstrings — November 28, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

Peppermint and chocolate. The perfect combination. Great pictures. Come visit us. We have pumpkin fried rice today. Be sure to stop by on Friday and register for the dress we are giving away from the Shabby Apple.

Lauren @ hey, who cut the cheese? — November 28, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

This fudge looks so good. I love the chocolate and peppermint combination. Your photos from the hot air balloon are stunning!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 28, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

Your photos from the balloon are just gorgeous! And I love this fudge. A lot of people use white chocolate for peppermint fudge and bark, but I can’t stomach white chocolate so I always appreciate recipes like this!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 28, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

This looks so delicious. I love peppermint and never get enough!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — November 28, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Just fabulous!! I “need” to make this very very soon!! Yum.

Stephanie @ Mr and Meatless — November 28, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

I am SOOOO jealous of all of your beautiful red and orange trees! In California, the only trees that turn pretty colors like that are the ones that are planted in shopping centers and center divides on large streets. It’s so artificial!

Also, the fudge looks AMAZING. I make a million cookies with my mom every Christmas, including fudge. The best we ever made was last year when I accidentally started making brownines instead of fudge…and then after finishing the brownies, accidentally 5x-ing the recipe…anyway, I sat there and stirred the fudge until my mom got enough pans ready. I was sure it was ruined, but it turned out to be the best we’d ever made!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — November 28, 2011 @ 11:54 pm

That looks positively divine! What a sweet hubby to surprise you with a balloon ride and man, what a view!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 29, 2011 @ 9:35 am

This looks awesome, and what great fudge tips! Can’t wait to try it.

Katrina — November 29, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

That looks delicious! It’s time to get on the holiday fudge bandwagon here!

Laura @ Family Spice — November 29, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Oh, you won’t catch me up in a balloon. I got dizzy last week when we visited Hoover Dam! Hubby thinks I’m wimpy! : ) Lovely fudge and great tips. I just want to reach in my computer and grab one!

Delishhh — November 29, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

I always make babka for gifts and last year i got tired of it and started making new things. This sounds fabulous for gifts this year, saving the recipe!

Jane — November 29, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

LOVE the photos from your fabulous experience. I have to admit I’m not a huge fudge fan (too sweet), but I’ll also admit, these photos of yours make me want to make it!

Dmarie — November 29, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

oh, my, I am not a chocolate fudge fan…but peppermint and chocolate sounds DIVINE. thanks, Spicy!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — November 29, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Simply gorgeous!! I can’t believe fall just came and went but also excited for winter wonderland :)

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — November 29, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

Those pictures are gorgeous! But I am so glad that I get to see them from my desk because I am scared to death of heights! I would have kept my eyes closed and missed the entire thing.

Maria — November 30, 2011 @ 12:19 am

Yummmm…I gotta start my christmas cookies 0_0

Shelby — November 30, 2011 @ 3:02 am

Who doesn’t love fudge! I am not an expert at candy making so I’m happy to have this post. I just may try making some! Looks so yummy!

Angie's Recipes — November 30, 2011 @ 6:02 am

This looks really rich and seems quite easy to make. Great photos, Sommer.

Pachecopatty — November 30, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I’m making chocolate truffles with peppermint and your cinnamon roll cookies this weekend so I just had to come by and check out your peppermint fudge! It looks just perfect and your hot air balloon photos are gorgeous;-)

Nisrine M. — November 30, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

What a delicious looking fudge. Totally loving it!

Feast on the Cheap — November 30, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

I want this like RIGHT now. Looks fabulous, what a fun & festive treat

Britney — November 30, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

Looks delicious! I love the combination of peppermint and chocolate, the perfect holiday flavor combo!

Helene — November 30, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

Drooling over the pictures. What a nice winter treat.

Asmita — November 30, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

Gorgeous photographs and the chocolate peppermint is so perfect for the holidays. Such a great gift.

naomi — December 2, 2011 @ 12:43 am

You had me at peppermint!

Debbie — December 4, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Looks beautiful, do you think you could leave out the peppermint for just chocolate fudge, I would love both

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — December 5, 2011 @ 10:40 am

I haven’t made fudge in years! This recipe just may be what will break that. Perfect for the usual baked goods swap during Christmas!

Dana — December 6, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Ug. I didn’t get it right. Mine was more like a chocolate brick. I melted the chocolate slowly, must not have been slowly enough. It became grainy and dull. I’m so mad. I want to be a good candy maker, especially fudge. Oh well, it still went into peoples holiday goodie box. Tasted fine.

Joy — December 8, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Omg thank you so much for the tip. My fudge always turns out grainy and i could not figure it out.

NanaScriv — December 12, 2011 @ 7:15 am

Found some of this fudge in your freezer, while you were sunning in Hawaii. Took out four pieces and we ate it while watching Puss In Boots at the movies yesterday. Wow, some tastie fudge–and the kids with Pops and Nans loved the movie. Hurry home!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — December 13, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

Love these pictures!! How beautiful. Love the idea of peppermint fudge….I’ve never thought of it. :)

Terris@ Free Eats — December 16, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Wow. These photos are divine and make mouth water! Gorgeous fudge that is definitely gift worthy.

Mary — November 4, 2012 @ 2:15 am

Does the bowl have to be glass? Would a metal bowl work?

Tressan Moore — December 9, 2012 @ 1:58 am

The photos are gorgeous. I want to make the fudge for a party next weekend. Where can I get the Andes peppermint crunch? I found it on-line but might not get here in time. Thanks so much for answering. T.

Nicole — December 13, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

I’m definitely going to try this for my holiday baking! Does 1-TB butter mean one tablespoon, or something else?

Thanks!

• Sommer — December 13th, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Yep, 1 tablespoon. :)

Let me know how they turn out!

Justin — December 13, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

Yum! Looks so good! I love mint and chocolate together.

Cheryl — October 26, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

I am going to try this recipe with Spearmint essential oil instead of peppermint.
    This should be delish!!

Elizabeth Winchester — December 6, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Is your butter salted or unsalted? I made your recipe using unsalted and it seemed fine, but I wanted to clarify. Thanks. People said it was rich and good.

• Sommer — December 7th, 2013 @ 7:37 am

I always use unsalted butter, but you could use either. :)

Jess — December 18, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

I cant find the Andes chunks where i am. Anything else i can replace them with? Are they the same as peppermint baking chips?

• Sommer — December 19th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

They are different than peppermint baking chips, but you could sub those. Walmart Super Center always has the Andes baking chips this time of year…

Barb — November 20, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

What is “dark” chocolate – unsweetened?

Ellie Elliott — November 21, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

Wow, this looks delicious! Perfect for the Holidays!

1. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge-Amazing « My Kitchen Adventures

2. Pingback: Addictive Mint Fudge: Crazy Cooking Challenge : Cookin' with Moxie

3. Pingback: Sweet Treats Christmas Gift Ideas « Give & Gift

4. Pingback: A Perfect Holiday Treat: Peppermint Fudge!

5. Pingback: Christmas Countdown: #7 Peppermint Fudge | Cupcakes, Cakepops & Cookies

6. Pingback: 12 Peppermint Christmas Recipes {with pictures} | Fruit Heights Friends

7. Pingback: Fabulous Five Minute Fudge

8. Pingback: The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Desserts - One Fun Mom

9. Pingback: 50 Peppermint Desserts - Something Swanky

10. Pingback: Peppermint fudge | It's what's for dinner…

11. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge | chocolate & carrots

12. Pingback: Peppermint Chocolate Fudge Recipe | Chocolate Driven

13. Pingback: Homemade Candy Recipes: Top 10 Chocolate Recipes to Make and Share!

14. Pingback: Must-Try Recipes For Fudge - MotivaNova - MotivaNova

15. Pingback: How the Grinch Stole Christmas film paired with Whobilation food | Film and food

16. Pingback: 20+ Christmas Cookies with Winter Cool Peppermint: Ultimate Holiday Cookie Round-Up | The Jenny Evolution

17. Pingback: {Holiday Recipes, Bucket List, Gift Ideas and Crafts} | Lily Photography by Elizabeth Chandler

18. Pingback: Peppermint Dessert Recipes | Baking Beauty