celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Peppermint Fudge

Peppermint Fudge

Goodbye Fall, Hello Winter. There’s no better way to usher in the winter holidays than with a good dose of chocolatey Peppermint Fudge.

My family has had a roller coaster fall, filled with moments of sheer chaos and others of light-hearted bliss. Knowing I needed a little pick-me-up, my husband surprised me with my first hot air balloon ride. I cannot express the overwhelming childlike delight I felt, riding high above the mountain tops, drinking in the crisp air and heavenly surroundings. It was an occasion I will never forget.

The perfect way to say goodbye to fall.

But now I’m ready for Christmas and all the excitement it entails.

This time of year, dreams of sugar plums dance in my head… along with a plethora of dancing cookies and silky Peppermint Fudge.

Peppermint Fudge Recipe

Chocolate Fudge has a reputation of being a bit of a diva: temperamental, hard to handle, you never know how it’s going to react. Well honey, this Chocolate Peppermint Fudge Recipe is a low maintenance kind of girl: simple, straightforward, and easy to be around.

This peppermint fudge recipe is a fantastic spring board for all-things-fudge. With just a handful of ingredients you get a soft sinfully silky, yet dense, fudge that screams HOLIDAYS the moment you taste it.

Cook’s Notes:

The texture of GOOD fudge is derived by SLOWLY melting the chocolate into the mixture. Heating the chocolate too fast will result in grainy fudge. The best way to do this is by heating the chocolate mixture in a glass bowl sitting over a small pot of simmering water. You could also microwave it in 30 second increments, on medium heat.

IF… your fudge does get grainy, that means it heated too quickly and is starting to dry out. You can fix it by adding WATER. Add about 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water to the mixture and bring the temperature back up. Stir until a smooth, yet THICK, texture appears.

(I wish you could see just how SLOW this actually poured.)

To set properly, fudge needs to be the consistency of a REALLY thick cake batter. ALMOST to thick to pour, but not quite. If it’s looser than that, it won’t firm up enough and will be hard to cut and pick up. Keep the mixture over heat, until the right thickness is reached.

For a bubble-free consistency, I like to gently tap the fudge pan on the counter. Not just a couple times, but for a minute or two. This works all the air bubbles up to the surface.

Best Fudge Recipe

Fudge is very quick to make, but takes time to set. Plan for anywhere from 3 to 8 hours in the fridge before cutting.

Looking for more holiday treat recipes? We’ve got you covered here!

Peppermint Fudge

Yield: up to 64 pieces

Prep Time:3 minutes

Cook Time:10 minutes

• 1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter + extra for buttering the dish
  • 1 pound dark chocolate chips/chunks
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup Andes Peppermint Chunks

1. Grease a 8 X 8 or 8 X 11 baking dish. Sprinkle half the peppermint chunks in the bottom of the dish and set aside.
  2. Place a medium sauce pot over medium heat with 2 inches of water. Place a glass bowl over the top--making sure the glass doesn't touch the water.
  3. Pour the condensed milk and butter in the bowl and heat.
  4. Add the chocolate chips and salt in the bowl. Stir the chocolate and watch as it melts and thickens--about 5 minutes.
  5. The mixture should thicken to a THICK cake batter consistency--almost too thick to pour.
  6. Add both extracts and mix well.
  7. Pour the mixture into the dish. Gently tap the dish on the counter for at least a minute to allow air bubbles to rise to the surface and to smooth the surface.
  8. Sprinkle the remaining peppermint chips over the top and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, maybe longer, to set.
  9. To cut, dip a sharp knife in hot tap water, wipe and cut quickly. Dip and wipe the knife between cuts. Cut into 1 inch squares.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

More Fudgy Creations:

Peanut Butter Fudge ~ Brown Eyed Baker

Red Velvet Fudge ~ I Am Baker

Coconut Milk Fudge ~ Smitten Kitchen

Love our recipes? Subscribe via email, so you never miss one!

We respect your email box and privacy. Only one email is sent per week, and we never share/sell our email list. Join us below, to get a weekly recipe update + a free downloadable ebook with our top 25 most popular recipes!

You May Also Like...

101 Responses to “Peppermint Fudge”

1. Belinda @zomppaposted November 28, 2011 at 7:24 am

How stunning! I have never been in hot air balloon – must be so incredible. You just put me in the holiday mood with these!

2. Steve @ HPDposted November 28, 2011 at 7:52 am

love those pix! not much i miss about the east coast, but fall colors are at the top of the list.

3. Kiri W.posted November 28, 2011 at 8:39 am

Gorgeous photography, both food- and landscape-wise! :)
    The fudge looks delicious, too, but man do I have to recover from Thanksgiving first!

4. Cookin' Canuckposted November 28, 2011 at 9:20 am

What fantastic photos of your hot air balloon ride! It looks as though the colors were spectacular. As for the fudge – well, chocolate and mint epitomize the holiday season for me. I could eat some of this treat everyday of the holidays.

5. Emily Malloy @Cleanlinessposted November 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

Absolutely perfect!!!

6. My German Kitchen...in the Rockiesposted November 28, 2011 at 9:37 am

Sommer, Great pictures from your balloon ride! How sweet of your husband.
    First, I really like the fudge dish. I almost bought one of these Polish pottery dishes the other day. They are so pretty.
    I have never made fudge, but your instructions look pretty straight forward. I am sure my family would love it. Thanks.
    Greetings
    Kirsten

7. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted November 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

love this one! Great xmas gift

8. Mariaposted November 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

Perfect for the holiday season!

9. Rikkiposted November 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

Oh my goodness!! This looks so delicious..chocolate and peppermint..the perfect combination. And those pictures from the balloon ride look beautiful. What an amazing experience that must have been!

10. Curtposted November 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

Peppermint and fudge. A great combo for sure!

11. Jeanetteposted November 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

Wow, gorgeous photos of your hot air balloon ride – your hubby sure knew what you needed!

12. RavieNomNomsposted November 28, 2011 at 10:34 am

WOW, your pictures are SOOOO amazing!! Just gorgeous

That fudge looks to die for. YUM!

13. sippitysupposted November 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

“Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat…” I can smell the holiday now. GREG

14. Cookin' Cowgirlposted November 28, 2011 at 11:48 am

Yum, yum, yum! How festive!! :)

15. Sneh | Cook Republicposted November 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

yum yum! on my to make list for the party we are having next week. Thanks for sharing :)

16. Jessica @ How Sweetposted November 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

this is SO PRETTY.
    !!

17. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted November 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I’ve always wanted to go an a balloon ride but get nervous at the thought of being up so high! The view from up there looks amazing though.

18. Skinny Fat Kidposted November 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Going to try and whip up a batch of these for the holidays or one of our rescue holiday parties. I’m sure I will get chocolate all over the kitchen but it will be worth it!

19. Sookposted November 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Oh I am so ready for Christmas too! I can’t wait to bake tons in December. This fudge looks absolutely wonderful.

20. Kocineraposted November 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

That peppermint fudge looks so delicious! This year I have become mildly obsessed with peppermint and chocolate, so it’s always great to find another yummy recipe.

21. Steph@stephsbitebybiteposted November 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

This fudge could get me in to some serious trouble! And I mean SERIOUS!! Looks so freaking god!

22. jennifurlaposted November 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I am in love with this grouping of photos, so rich!

23. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidenceposted November 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Mmmm, this fudge looks great; however, I’m not sure if I’m ready for Winter yet! Perhaps because it’s 80 degrees today in San Diego.

24. vianneyposted November 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Love the pics!! How sweet is he, you totally deserve a treat!! I love, love fudge and what better month than Dec to indulge with this sweet treat!!

25. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yogaposted November 28, 2011 at 6:25 pm

This looks wonderful…and easy!

I am pinning it to my Xmas board!

Saw it on FG…congrats :)

26. Lizposted November 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm

This is the most festive, lovely fudge. And what a sweet hubby…your views were breath taking…thank you for sharing them with us.

27. Maria @ Orchard Bloomposted November 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

looks like the hot air balloon ride was amazing. Gorgeous photos!

28. Diane {Created by Diane}posted November 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

what beautiful photos of ballooning, this fudge looks amazing!

29. carolinaheartstringsposted November 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Peppermint and chocolate. The perfect combination. Great pictures. Come visit us. We have pumpkin fried rice today. Be sure to stop by on Friday and register for the dress we are giving away from the Shabby Apple.

30. Lauren @ hey, who cut the cheese?posted November 28, 2011 at 9:39 pm

This fudge looks so good. I love the chocolate and peppermint combination. Your photos from the hot air balloon are stunning!

31. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted November 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Your photos from the balloon are just gorgeous! And I love this fudge. A lot of people use white chocolate for peppermint fudge and bark, but I can’t stomach white chocolate so I always appreciate recipes like this!

32. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted November 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm

This looks so delicious. I love peppermint and never get enough!

33. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmetposted November 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Just fabulous!! I “need” to make this very very soon!! Yum.

34. Stephanie @ Mr and Meatlessposted November 28, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I am SOOOO jealous of all of your beautiful red and orange trees! In California, the only trees that turn pretty colors like that are the ones that are planted in shopping centers and center divides on large streets. It’s so artificial!

Also, the fudge looks AMAZING. I make a million cookies with my mom every Christmas, including fudge. The best we ever made was last year when I accidentally started making brownines instead of fudge…and then after finishing the brownies, accidentally 5x-ing the recipe…anyway, I sat there and stirred the fudge until my mom got enough pans ready. I was sure it was ruined, but it turned out to be the best we’d ever made!

35. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom}posted November 28, 2011 at 11:54 pm

That looks positively divine! What a sweet hubby to surprise you with a balloon ride and man, what a view!

36. Rachel @ Not Rachael Rayposted November 29, 2011 at 9:35 am

This looks awesome, and what great fudge tips! Can’t wait to try it.

37. Katrinaposted November 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm

That looks delicious! It’s time to get on the holiday fudge bandwagon here!

38. Laura @ Family Spiceposted November 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oh, you won’t catch me up in a balloon. I got dizzy last week when we visited Hoover Dam! Hubby thinks I’m wimpy! : ) Lovely fudge and great tips. I just want to reach in my computer and grab one!

39. Delishhhposted November 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I always make babka for gifts and last year i got tired of it and started making new things. This sounds fabulous for gifts this year, saving the recipe!

40. Janeposted November 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm

LOVE the photos from your fabulous experience. I have to admit I’m not a huge fudge fan (too sweet), but I’ll also admit, these photos of yours make me want to make it!

41. Dmarieposted November 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm

oh, my, I am not a chocolate fudge fan…but peppermint and chocolate sounds DIVINE. thanks, Spicy!

42. Kiran @ KiranTarun.composted November 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Simply gorgeous!! I can’t believe fall just came and went but also excited for winter wonderland :)

43. Jen at The Three Little Pigletsposted November 29, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Those pictures are gorgeous! But I am so glad that I get to see them from my desk because I am scared to death of heights! I would have kept my eyes closed and missed the entire thing.

44. Mariaposted November 30, 2011 at 12:19 am

Yummmm…I gotta start my christmas cookies 0_0

45. Shelbyposted November 30, 2011 at 3:02 am

Who doesn’t love fudge! I am not an expert at candy making so I’m happy to have this post. I just may try making some! Looks so yummy!

46. Angie's Recipesposted November 30, 2011 at 6:02 am

This looks really rich and seems quite easy to make. Great photos, Sommer.

47. Pachecopattyposted November 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m making chocolate truffles with peppermint and your cinnamon roll cookies this weekend so I just had to come by and check out your peppermint fudge! It looks just perfect and your hot air balloon photos are gorgeous;-)

48. Nisrine M.posted November 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

What a delicious looking fudge. Totally loving it!

49. Feast on the Cheapposted November 30, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I want this like RIGHT now. Looks fabulous, what a fun & festive treat

50. Britneyposted November 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Looks delicious! I love the combination of peppermint and chocolate, the perfect holiday flavor combo!

51. Heleneposted November 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Drooling over the pictures. What a nice winter treat.

52. Asmitaposted November 30, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Gorgeous photographs and the chocolate peppermint is so perfect for the holidays. Such a great gift.

53. naomiposted December 2, 2011 at 12:43 am

You had me at peppermint!

54. Debbieposted December 4, 2011 at 10:26 am

Looks beautiful, do you think you could leave out the peppermint for just chocolate fudge, I would love both

55. Amy @ Gastronome Tartposted December 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

I haven’t made fudge in years! This recipe just may be what will break that. Perfect for the usual baked goods swap during Christmas!

56. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge-Amazing « My Kitchen Adventures

57. Danaposted December 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Ug. I didn’t get it right. Mine was more like a chocolate brick. I melted the chocolate slowly, must not have been slowly enough. It became grainy and dull. I’m so mad. I want to be a good candy maker, especially fudge. Oh well, it still went into peoples holiday goodie box. Tasted fine.

58. Pingback: Addictive Mint Fudge: Crazy Cooking Challenge : Cookin' with Moxie

59. Joyposted December 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Omg thank you so much for the tip. My fudge always turns out grainy and i could not figure it out.

60. Pingback: Sweet Treats Christmas Gift Ideas « Give & Gift

61. NanaScrivposted December 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

Found some of this fudge in your freezer, while you were sunning in Hawaii. Took out four pieces and we ate it while watching Puss In Boots at the movies yesterday. Wow, some tastie fudge–and the kids with Pops and Nans loved the movie. Hurry home!

62. Pingback: A Perfect Holiday Treat: Peppermint Fudge!

63. Denise @ Creative Kitchenposted December 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Love these pictures!! How beautiful. Love the idea of peppermint fudge….I’ve never thought of it. :)

64. Terris@ Free Eatsposted December 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

Wow. These photos are divine and make mouth water! Gorgeous fudge that is definitely gift worthy.

65. Pingback: Christmas Countdown: #7 Peppermint Fudge | Cupcakes, Cakepops & Cookies

66. Maryposted November 4, 2012 at 2:15 am

Does the bowl have to be glass? Would a metal bowl work?

67. Pingback: 12 Peppermint Christmas Recipes {with pictures} | Fruit Heights Friends

68. Pingback: Fabulous Five Minute Fudge

69. Tressan Mooreposted December 9, 2012 at 1:58 am

The photos are gorgeous. I want to make the fudge for a party next weekend. Where can I get the Andes peppermint crunch? I found it on-line but might not get here in time. Thanks so much for answering. T.

70. Pingback: The Ultimate Guide to Christmas Desserts - One Fun Mom

71. Nicoleposted December 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m definitely going to try this for my holiday baking! Does 1-TB butter mean one tablespoon, or something else?

Thanks!

• Sommer — December 13th, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Yep, 1 tablespoon. :)

Let me know how they turn out!

72. Pingback: 50 Peppermint Desserts - Something Swanky

73. Justinposted December 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Yum! Looks so good! I love mint and chocolate together.

74. Pingback: Peppermint fudge | It's what's for dinner…

75. Pingback: Peppermint Fudge | chocolate & carrots

76. Pingback: Peppermint Chocolate Fudge Recipe | Chocolate Driven

77. Cherylposted October 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I am going to try this recipe with Spearmint essential oil instead of peppermint.
    This should be delish!!

78. Pingback: Homemade Candy Recipes: Top 10 Chocolate Recipes to Make and Share!

79. Pingback: Must-Try Recipes For Fudge - MotivaNova - MotivaNova

80. Pingback: How the Grinch Stole Christmas film paired with Whobilation food | Film and food

81. Pingback: 20+ Christmas Cookies with Winter Cool Peppermint: Ultimate Holiday Cookie Round-Up | The Jenny Evolution

82. Elizabeth Winchesterposted December 6, 2013 at 11:43 am

Is your butter salted or unsalted? I made your recipe using unsalted and it seemed fine, but I wanted to clarify. Thanks. People said it was rich and good.

• Sommer — December 7th, 2013 @ 7:37 am

I always use unsalted butter, but you could use either. :)

83. Pingback: {Holiday Recipes, Bucket List, Gift Ideas and Crafts} | Lily Photography by Elizabeth Chandler

84. Jessposted December 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I cant find the Andes chunks where i am. Anything else i can replace them with? Are they the same as peppermint baking chips?

• Sommer — December 19th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

They are different than peppermint baking chips, but you could sub those. Walmart Super Center always has the Andes baking chips this time of year…

• Charlene — December 16th, 2014 @ 2:47 am

We don’t have any Andes candy in New Zealand. Could I use crushed candy canes? What is the texture of the Peppermint chunks, chewy or crunchy? Thanks.

• Sommer — December 16th, 2014 @ 6:55 am

I would use the old-fashioned candy sticks that melt-in-your-mouth like butter mints. Red Band is one brand.

85. Pingback: Peppermint Dessert Recipes | Baking Beauty

86. Pingback: Mint Dark Chocolate Fudge {Christmas Desserts}

87. Pingback: #56

88. Barbposted November 20, 2014 at 1:48 pm

What is “dark” chocolate – unsweetened?

89. Ellie Elliottposted November 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Wow, this looks delicious! Perfect for the Holidays!

90. Pingback: » Easy Peppermint Fudge Sumptuous Spoonfuls

91. amyposted December 1, 2014 at 5:08 pm

love these! decadent and easy

92. Pingback: Fudge Recipes

93. Pingback: Peppermint Dessert Recipes That’ll Make All Your Holiday Stress Disappear | Gymrat Fitness

94. Kimberly Auerposted December 14, 2014 at 8:59 am

Hello i was just wondering if i could use crushed candy canes? I live in Canada and have never seen the andes peppermint chips. Or could i just cut up andes squares? Thank you for your time and wonderful recipe.

95. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Peppermint Fudge | A Nerd Cooks