Roasted Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower

Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower

Tired of blah, bland, boring dinners? Hang on to your hats folks ~this Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower is going to have your head spinning. (In a good way.)

Diversity is beautiful.

What if all the luminous autumn leaves were one color, or every food tasted the same? What if we all had to drive the same exact car or live in the same cookie-cutter house filled with an identical allotment of furnishing? What if we all had the same color skin, hair, smile, personality, passion? …Wouldn’t life be boring?

It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut of mindless perceptions and attitudes.

If you listen carefully throughout your day, you’ll notice you are unconsciously bombarded with an onslaught of thoughtless statements:

Those people are ________.”

“That’s impossible. No one can ________.”

“Why would anyone want to _______?”

“________ is disgusting, I can’t believe anyone would eat that.”

“He’s too ________. I could never be friends with that kind of person.”

“Life would be so much simpler if everyone would just…” (Do what I do. Think what I think. Play by my rules.)

Creamy Curried Cauliflower

And he goes through life, his mouth open, and his mind closed. ~ Oscar Wilde

My prayer is to be a person who will throw out judgement and stay open-hearted. Not in a way that disables me from ever taking a stand if the moment arises, but in a way that allows me to love and experience life to my greatest capacity, free from mindsets that would hold me back.

I try to walk into every situation as a student of life, always learning, never the master. For me, humility unlocks the beauty of diversity.

Baby steps… we can start with what we put in our mouths.

If you are in the rut of:  spaghetti, baked chicken, meatloaf, tacos and pizza over and over, why not throw a little Indian flair into the mix?

Indian cuisine is one of those areas where people are often closed-minded. Sadly, they ate at a second-rate Indian lunch buffet years ago, and have crossed it off their list forever.  If you fall into this category, I ask you to reconsider. 1.2 billion people can’t all be wrong. *wink*

Indian Fish Recipe

This Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower is a diverse array of flavor, texture, and color. The Indian Fish is dusted with coarsely ground Garam Masala and roasted under high heat for just a few minutes. I used Swai fillets because they are inexpensive, eco-freindly and very mild in flavor.

Curried Cauliflower Recipe

The Creamy Curried Cauliflower is simmered with Madras curry powder, apricot preserve and cream. It’s a silky, sweet and SPICY bed for the roasted Indian Fish that also doubles as a sauce.

This vibrant combination of Indian flavors will surely open your mind to new possibilities!

Yield: 6 servings

Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower

For the Indian Fish:
6 fillets Swai (or Tilapia, Orange Roughy…)
1 Tb. olive oil

3 Tb. Madras Curry Powder
¾ cup heavy cream
1/3 cup apricot preserve
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pat the fish fillets dry, then drizzle with oil. Flip the fillets to coat in oil.

Sprinkle the fillets with salt and pepper, followed by the Garam Masala on both sides. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.

Place a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the butter and flour. Whisk and cook 1-2 minutes. Add the onions. Sauté another 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté one more minute.

Pour the chicken stock into the pot followed by the cauliflower florets. Cover and steam 5-10—until the florets are slightly tender.

Put the fish fillets in the oven and roast for 10 minutes—15 minutes for thicker fillets. *The fish should flake off when touched with a fork if cooked through.

Add the curry powder, cream, apricot preserve, cayenne and 1 tsp. of salt to the cauliflower. Stir and simmer another 10 minutes.

Once the sauce has thickened, salt and pepper to taste.

To Plate: Spoon the curried cauliflower into a bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro. Place a fish fillet on top. Serve warm.

Curried FishFlatware and stemware from Villeroy & Boch.

OTHER INSPIRED INDIAN DISHES:

Sauteed Eggplant with Indian Spices from All Day I Dream About Food

Indian Stir Fried Noodles from Indian Simmer

Indian Cream Fudge from Cook Republic

Saffron and Mint Chickpea Stew from Sinfully Spicy

Easy Tandoori Chicken from Shaina Olmanson (on Babble)

36 Responses to “Roasted Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower”

marla — November 3, 2011 @ 6:29 am

LOVE Indian food…no need to convince me that this is amazing! Love the idea of the cauliflower puree under the fish.

Curt — November 3, 2011 @ 6:31 am

Good point, and well put! Indian food is one I tend to avoid because I always assume it’s going to be too spicy hot for me. (I’m kind of a wimp like that).

But I’ve found that to not be true. This looks so tasty!

Lea Ann — November 3, 2011 @ 6:36 am

That cauliflower sounds wonderful. Another bookmarked.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and they had tilapia on sale. Now I wish I had bought some. I adore garam masala and would love the fish over that amazing sounding (and looking) curried cauliflower, which just happens to be one of my favorite vegetables.

Nelly Rodriguez — November 3, 2011 @ 7:04 am

This combination looks amazing!

Carolyn — November 3, 2011 @ 8:37 am

This looks fantastic, Sommer. I love Indian foods of all kinds. And I think trying new foods leads us to be more accepting of other cultures too!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — November 3, 2011 @ 8:58 am

My husband LOVES cauliflower and I’m always looking for new fish recipes. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked!

Bev Weidner — November 3, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Um, yes. This dish is giving me bedroom eyes and I’m NOT GONNA IGNORE IT.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 3, 2011 @ 10:26 am

what a wonderful combination!

Feast on the Cheap — November 3, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I have three fresh fish filets in my freezer (thanks to a recent fishing trip my husband went on). I had been lacking inspiration but now I know how one of them is going to end up. Just wonderful!

Lauren — November 3, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Your photos are gorgeous! That red fabric is amazing!

The Elegant Eggplant — November 3, 2011 @ 11:09 am

This looks absolutely delicious!!! Gorgeous photos and I love the spice combo you used. Perfect!

Jeanette — November 3, 2011 @ 11:48 am

I am a huge fan of Indian food! This sounds like a nice combination, love the idea of curried cauliflower.

Cookin' Canuck — November 3, 2011 @ 11:49 am

As they say, “variety is the spice of life” and I think this crosses over to so many parts of life. My favorite, of course, would be food and this dish looks like a great way to introduce a little variety.

Angie's Recipes — November 3, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

It looks so delicious and loaded with flavours! I love especially the curried cauliflowers.

Bonnie K — November 3, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Like! Like! Like! –saving this recipe to make another day.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — November 3, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I try to cook Indian food once a week at my house. Such an interesting deviation from the norm. Usually, I roast cauliflower with olive oil, salt, pepper and cumin seeds. This creamy version sounds delicious too!

Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice — November 3, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

I cannot tell you how much I agree with you on how judgemental people can be sometimes. I’m so glad to have found my boyfriend who shares not just my passions, but my ideas about keeping our minds as open as possible. I’ve had people blatantly judge my life decisions, just because I’ve gone about differently – travelled and lived abroad instead of settling down right away, working in alternative industries, etc. Oh well!

Now, on to the fish – it looks spectacular! I used to cook with tilapia frequently, but it’s not as abundant here as it was in the US. I’ll have a good peek around for other subtle white fish.

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — November 3, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

Heavenly! I seriously could eat this every day! I love this post too Sommer.

xoxo
    Heather

Hyosun Ro — November 3, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

Beautiful and flavorful plate! The curried cauliflower sounds like a winner to me. Bookmarking it.

Sophie — November 4, 2011 @ 2:21 am

What a tasty plate of fine foods! I love all of these tasty flavours beautifully combined in this lovely & warm dsih!

MMMMMMMMMMMM,….!!! Heaven on a plate! ;)

Anna — November 4, 2011 @ 8:34 am

Reading your blog reminded me of the poem “Desiderata”. I definitely agree with you. Sometimes we spend too much time comparing ourselves with other people that we lose track of the basics, the essentials. Let us go back to the basics : food, family, love…good food. Your recipe is amazing, by the way! Thanks for sharing!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — November 4, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

Beautiful- aromatic and delicious combination, Sommer! I love those curried cauliflowers…I’m drooling :) Have a wonderful week!

HUGS <3

carolinaheartstrings — November 5, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

That looks so fantastic. Great post. Thank you once again.

Helene — November 6, 2011 @ 10:11 am

I’m always discovering new dish that looks so good on your blog.

Monet — November 6, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

What a great post. Not only did you share something that is so important to our emotional/spiritual well-being, but you shared a delicious recipe too. I can’t wait to make this. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Magic of Spice — November 6, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Absolutely delightful dish! The cauliflower alone looks amazing :)

Dmarie — November 7, 2011 @ 6:02 am

simply gorgeous!!

debby — November 7, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

The food looks delish and I love your blue goblet! Do you mind if I ask where that’s from????

• Sommer — November 8th, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

The goblets are from Villeroy & Boch! :)

naomi — November 7, 2011 @ 11:49 pm

Love this recipe and the puree cauliflower-Awesome!

Delishhh — November 10, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Love what you have done here – just fabulous!

Cara — November 10, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

oooh what an interesting way to prepare cauliflower! I’m gonna have to try that :)

sippitysup — November 15, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Diversity is beautiful and so are these photos. GREG

Wolfgang — November 23, 2011 @ 6:40 am

Villeroy & Boch “Boston” stemware: in the cabinett. Garam Masala: in the spice rack. cauliflower: in the garden. Guess I am well prepared for this one, looks just delicious.

1. Pingback: My Spice Kitchen: Curry Powder | Aggie's Kitchen