Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

There’s nothing like a good gravy to complete a holiday meal. This Apple Cider Turkey Gravy turns plain-jane dishes into something really special. It’s easy to make, savory sweet, and just right for Thanksgiving.

You’ve got your roasted turkey and ham resting on the counter top. You’ve got piping-hot sweet potatoes and buttery stuffing in the oven… and creamy mashed potatoes on the stove top. What are you missing? That’s right, gravy. What would Thanksgiving dinner be (or any holiday meal for that matter) without rich silky gravy to drizzle over the top?

It would be blah, that’s what. Like an ice cream sundae with no cherry on top or a plate of chocolate chip cookies with no milk for dipping. A holiday meal with no gravy is just wrong, nearly sinful. You’ve spent hours building a custom car, but have no key to start the ignition, you see what I’m getting at?

Let’s not make that mistake this year. A gorgeous buttery Apple Cider Turkey Gravy with apple flavor bursting through is just moments away.

Thanksgiving Spices

First take the dripping from your turkey pan (or substitute turkey stock and melted butter) and add a good dose of McCormick herbs to it.

how to make gravy

Whisk some cold apple cider with flour to thicken and flavor the gravy. Add the flour mixture to the dripping and whisk over medium heat until a thick silky consistency emerges.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Turkey Gravy

Your family will be so thankful you did.

If you are still on the lookout for great Thanksgiving recipes, visit the McCormick FaceBook fan page as they Count Down to Thanksgiving. They’ve got everything you’ll need to plan a brilliant holiday meal including tips and fabulous recipes for:  Spectacular Sides, Let’s Talk Turkey, Save Room for Pie, and It’s All Gravy.

Yield: 3 cups

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

2 ½ cups turkey stock from pan (or packaged turkey stock + ½ stick melted butter)
1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 tsp. McCormick Garlic Powder)
2 tsp. McCormick Rubbed Sage
½ cup apple cider
¼ cup all purpose flour
Salt and Pepper

Scrape juices and browned bits from the roasting pan into large glass measuring cup. Measure out 2 ½ cups.

Add the garlic and sage to the drippings and place in a saucepan over medium heat.

Whisk the flour and cold apple cider together to remove the clumps.

Pour the flour mixture into the drippings and whisk. Continue to whisk as the mixture comes to a soft boil and thickens to desired consistency.

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

*For an even quicker version, use 3 McCormick Turkey Gravy seasoning packs and mix with 2 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup apple cider, and 2 tsp. McCormick dried sage.

Disclosure:  This post is sponsored by McCormick. I do not ever write about products I don’t personally use and enjoy.

36 Responses to “Apple Cider Turkey Gravy”

Brian @ A Thought For Food — November 21, 2011 @ 7:55 am

What a great idea! This looks like a wonderful gravy!

pam — November 21, 2011 @ 7:57 am

This sounds wonderful!

Curt — November 21, 2011 @ 8:12 am

I’m very picky about my gravy, and this one looks awesome!

Jeanette — November 21, 2011 @ 8:50 am

I’ve never tried apple cider in my gravy – but I like the sound of this!

Kiri W. — November 21, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I love to use apple cider in recipes, this sounds like such a great way to make gravy more exciting :)

La Phemme Phoodie — November 21, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I never though to combine those flavors but it sounds like the perfect way to jazz up some gravy.

Cookin' Canuck — November 21, 2011 @ 9:23 am

I completely agree – Thanksgiving is just not complete without a really good gravy. This looks wonderful – rich and flavorful.

nanascriv — November 21, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Who would have thought to include apple cider and it sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe and the link to McCormicks Facebook.

Lauren — November 21, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Apple cider? In gravy? Sounds yummy!

Tricia (Once A Month Mom) — November 21, 2011 @ 9:44 am

This looks absolutely amazing! And it sounds wonderfully tasty too.

Denise — November 21, 2011 @ 9:56 am

I love apple cider gravy but I have not made it in a few years. Your post reminded me of how good it is!! I like to add a little bit apple cider vinegar to mine.
    Your photos look great and your blog looks so professional. Good job!

Delishhh — November 21, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Totally agree – good gravy make a perfect plate and this looks fabulous!

Bev Weidner — November 21, 2011 @ 10:35 am

I could seriously lose it right now looking at this……wow…

carolinaheartstrings — November 21, 2011 @ 11:09 am

That looks like a wondeful gravy! Come visit us. We have pumpkin macaroni and cheese today. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Jo — November 21, 2011 @ 11:09 am

This time of year we always have apple cider in the house for my husband. I will have to try some with my turkey gravy for our dinner this year, looks really good!

jennifurla — November 21, 2011 @ 11:56 am

girl, that last icture made me lick the screen.

marla — November 21, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

This s such a great idea! My daughter wanted a sweeter gravy this year…will try this with the cider.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — November 21, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Drool-worthy! I love the gravy pour shot :)

Jessica @ How Sweet — November 21, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Thank you, thank you! I love this!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — November 21, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

You always make me drool Sommer. I don’t even like gravy! But wow…I think I might light this one.

xx

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 21, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

this looks and sounds great and i’m not a gravy fan. I must try this one

Alaiyo Kiasi — November 21, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Your site is one of my favorites to visit! I really appreciate your food photography and styling and, of course, the recipes of veggies, and desserts, and seafood (I’m a pescetarian).

Alaiyo

Barbara | Creative Culinary — November 21, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Oh yum…I want to try something a bit different and I love cider. Done. Deal.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — November 21, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

I’m actually typically not a huge gravy fan, but this sounds amazing!! Definitely going to try it on Thursday =).

Liz — November 21, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

OK, now I want my turkey et al ASAP!!!! YUM~

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 21, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I really love this twist on gravy! I would happily pour this gravy over my entire Thanksgiving plate!

Kim Bee — November 22, 2011 @ 1:24 am

I’ll have to try this one. I am not a gravy fan but my hubs is. I am always looking for a great gravy recipe. It’s hard to make something you don’t eat as you can’t taste and adjust. I have complete faith if I give him this he’ll finally admit how bad mine is. Lol!

Angie's Recipes — November 22, 2011 @ 6:36 am

mmm..the gravy looks so delicious!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — November 22, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

Perfect balance of savory, sweet and tang! Yum!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — November 22, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Delicious and creative idea, Sommer! That last pic is making me drool :)

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

HUGS <3

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — November 22, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

I just tried something similar with a bottle of hard cider – like heaven. Didn’t even need the meat under it! No Thanksgiving meal would be complete without the gravy. Hope you have a lovely holiday!

Holly — November 25, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Just made this for Thanksgiving, and everyone loved it!

1. Pingback: Healthy, Delicious Super Food Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holiday Recipes — Family Fresh Cooking

2. Pingback: Over 100 Mouth-Watering Thanksgiving Recipes {Including Leftover Recipes!} | Valuable Junk from an Urban Cowgirl

3. Pingback: A Thanksgiving Menu - Our Favorite Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes

4. Pingback: Traditional with a Twist: Top Reinvented Thanksgiving Recipes | Main Line Dish