celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

There’s nothing like a good gravy to complete a holiday meal. This Apple Cider Turkey Gravy turns plain-jane dishes into something really special. It’s easy to make, savory sweet, and just right for Thanksgiving.

You’ve got your roasted turkey and ham resting on the counter top. You’ve got piping-hot sweet potatoes and buttery stuffing in the oven… and creamy mashed potatoes on the stove top. What are you missing? That’s right, gravy. What would Thanksgiving dinner be (or any holiday meal for that matter) without rich silky gravy to drizzle over the top?

It would be blah, that’s what. Like an ice cream sundae with no cherry on top or a plate of chocolate chip cookies with no milk for dipping. A holiday meal with no gravy is just wrong, nearly sinful. You’ve spent hours building a custom car, but have no key to start the ignition, you see what I’m getting at?

Let’s not make that mistake this year. A gorgeous buttery Apple Cider Turkey Gravy with apple flavor bursting through is just moments away.

Thanksgiving Spices

First take the dripping from your turkey pan (or substitute turkey stock and melted butter) and add a good dose of McCormick herbs to it.

how to make gravy

Whisk some cold apple cider with flour to thicken and flavor the gravy. Add the flour mixture to the dripping and whisk over medium heat until a thick silky consistency emerges.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Turkey Gravy

Your family will be so thankful you did.

If you are still on the lookout for great Thanksgiving recipes, visit the McCormick FaceBook fan page as they Count Down to Thanksgiving. They’ve got everything you’ll need to plan a brilliant holiday meal including tips and fabulous recipes for:  Spectacular Sides, Let’s Talk Turkey, Save Room for Pie, and It’s All Gravy.

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

Yield: 3 cups

Prep Time:2 minutes

Cook Time:5 minutes

2 ½ cups turkey stock from pan (or packaged turkey stock + ½ stick melted butter)
1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 tsp. McCormick Garlic Powder)
2 tsp. McCormick Rubbed Sage
½ cup apple cider
¼ cup all purpose flour
Salt and Pepper

Scrape juices and browned bits from the roasting pan into large glass measuring cup. Measure out 2 ½ cups.

Add the garlic and sage to the drippings and place in a saucepan over medium heat.

Whisk the flour and cold apple cider together to remove the clumps.

Pour the flour mixture into the drippings and whisk. Continue to whisk as the mixture comes to a soft boil and thickens to desired consistency.

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

*For an even quicker version, use 3 McCormick Turkey Gravy seasoning packs and mix with 2 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup apple cider, and 2 tsp. McCormick dried sage.

Disclosure:  This post is sponsored by McCormick. I do not ever write about products I don’t personally use and enjoy.

You May Also Like...

40 Responses to “Apple Cider Turkey Gravy”

1. Brian @ A Thought For Foodposted November 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

What a great idea! This looks like a wonderful gravy!

2. pamposted November 21, 2011 at 7:57 am

This sounds wonderful!

3. Curtposted November 21, 2011 at 8:12 am

I’m very picky about my gravy, and this one looks awesome!

4. Jeanetteposted November 21, 2011 at 8:50 am

I’ve never tried apple cider in my gravy – but I like the sound of this!

5. Kiri W.posted November 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

I love to use apple cider in recipes, this sounds like such a great way to make gravy more exciting :)

6. La Phemme Phoodieposted November 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

I never though to combine those flavors but it sounds like the perfect way to jazz up some gravy.

7. Cookin' Canuckposted November 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

I completely agree – Thanksgiving is just not complete without a really good gravy. This looks wonderful – rich and flavorful.

8. nanascrivposted November 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

Who would have thought to include apple cider and it sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe and the link to McCormicks Facebook.

9. Laurenposted November 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

Apple cider? In gravy? Sounds yummy!

10. Tricia (Once A Month Mom)posted November 21, 2011 at 9:44 am

This looks absolutely amazing! And it sounds wonderfully tasty too.

11. Deniseposted November 21, 2011 at 9:56 am

I love apple cider gravy but I have not made it in a few years. Your post reminded me of how good it is!! I like to add a little bit apple cider vinegar to mine.
    Your photos look great and your blog looks so professional. Good job!

12. Delishhhposted November 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

Totally agree – good gravy make a perfect plate and this looks fabulous!

13. Bev Weidnerposted November 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

I could seriously lose it right now looking at this……wow…

14. carolinaheartstringsposted November 21, 2011 at 11:09 am

That looks like a wondeful gravy! Come visit us. We have pumpkin macaroni and cheese today. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

15. Joposted November 21, 2011 at 11:09 am

This time of year we always have apple cider in the house for my husband. I will have to try some with my turkey gravy for our dinner this year, looks really good!

16. jennifurlaposted November 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

girl, that last icture made me lick the screen.

17. marlaposted November 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm

This s such a great idea! My daughter wanted a sweeter gravy this year…will try this with the cider.

18. Kiran @ KiranTarun.composted November 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Drool-worthy! I love the gravy pour shot :)

19. Jessica @ How Sweetposted November 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Thank you, thank you! I love this!

20. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmetposted November 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm

You always make me drool Sommer. I don’t even like gravy! But wow…I think I might light this one.

xx

21. Barbara | Creative Culinaryposted November 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Oh yum…I want to try something a bit different and I love cider. Done. Deal.

22. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted November 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

this looks and sounds great and i’m not a gravy fan. I must try this one

23. Alaiyo Kiasiposted November 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Your site is one of my favorites to visit! I really appreciate your food photography and styling and, of course, the recipes of veggies, and desserts, and seafood (I’m a pescetarian).

Alaiyo

24. Lauren @ Healthy Food For Livingposted November 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m actually typically not a huge gravy fan, but this sounds amazing!! Definitely going to try it on Thursday =).

25. Lizposted November 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

OK, now I want my turkey et al ASAP!!!! YUM~

26. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted November 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I really love this twist on gravy! I would happily pour this gravy over my entire Thanksgiving plate!

27. Kim Beeposted November 22, 2011 at 1:24 am

I’ll have to try this one. I am not a gravy fan but my hubs is. I am always looking for a great gravy recipe. It’s hard to make something you don’t eat as you can’t taste and adjust. I have complete faith if I give him this he’ll finally admit how bad mine is. Lol!

28. Angie's Recipesposted November 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

mmm..the gravy looks so delicious!

29. Pingback: Healthy, Delicious Super Food Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holiday Recipes — Family Fresh Cooking

30. Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi)posted November 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Perfect balance of savory, sweet and tang! Yum!

31. Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmetposted November 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Delicious and creative idea, Sommer! That last pic is making me drool :)

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

HUGS <3

32. Jen at The Three Little Pigletsposted November 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I just tried something similar with a bottle of hard cider – like heaven. Didn’t even need the meat under it! No Thanksgiving meal would be complete without the gravy. Hope you have a lovely holiday!

33. Hollyposted November 25, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Just made this for Thanksgiving, and everyone loved it!

34. Pingback: Over 100 Mouth-Watering Thanksgiving Recipes {Including Leftover Recipes!} | Valuable Junk from an Urban Cowgirl

35. Pingback: A Thanksgiving Menu - Our Favorite Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes

36. Pingback: Traditional with a Twist: Top Reinvented Thanksgiving Recipes | Main Line Dish

37. Pingback: Thanksgiving Dinner Menu – 11 Delicious Recipes! - Gourmet Food Store

38. Pingback: Everything you Need for Thanksgiving Dinner with Printable Checklist

39. Kristiposted November 26, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Just wondering, is packaged turkey stock the same as the dried turkey gravy mix (as pictured)? If not, where can I find it? Thanks so much!

40. Roseanna Laddposted February 24, 2015 at 9:24 am

I am so excited about finding this recipe for Apple Cider Turkey Gravy. I simply just make turkey gravy but this recipe has inspired me to try it this way. Sounds super!