Toffee Caramel Latte from Battery Park Book Exchange

Toffee Caramel Latte
Asheville’s Battery Park Book Exchange and Champagne Bar
shares their famous Toffee Caramel Latte, also known as the “Carl Sandburg.” A sophisticated coffee drink in a plush, friendly environment.

“Necessity is the mother of invention.” We don’t know who first made this profound statement, but looking around, we know it to be true.

Over the last few years of economic trial, I have watched family after family reinvent their lives and move forward into new business ventures. Instead of wallowing in life’s hardships, they dare to believe their situation could be different… better.

Battery Park Book ExchangeBattery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar, open every day, 11 am to 11 pm.

Thomas and Donna Wright are examples of supreme ingenuity. After Thomas’s long-term career in chemicals took a plummet, he stepped back to contemplate his passions. Thomas loved books, specifically vintage books. In an age of digital readers, was there a market for this? Thomas wondered if his love for vintage books could be mingled with another passion, wine.

Battery Park Champagne Bar

He set out to create a business that incorporated both, providing a warm welcoming space for people to relax with a good book and a glass of wine. In 2004 he opened his prototype storefront in Little Switzerland, North Carolina. After experimenting with the book selection and the atmosphere he wanted to create, he move to downtown Asheville in 2008, opening the Battery Park Book Exchange and Champagne Bar.

Asheville Wine Bar

Thomas now houses approximately 60,000 books, focusing on vintage books, art and design, southern history, and cooking. Not all the books are vintage; the Battery Park Book Exchange does have a large selection of new books, but Thomas relishes in the fact that what he offers cannot be found in a super-store. His books are special.

Asheville Late Night

Thomas has since moved the Battery Park Book Exchange a block south, into a more expansive space and has elaborated on the “Champagne Bar” element. He brought in colleague and former chef, Emily Krainik, to manage the Champagne Bar and create an affordable and interesting “grazing” menu to complement the beverage selection. The Wrights and Emily have worked hard to provide tasty snacks, high quality wines, and rich coffee drinks at a reasonable price. Thomas believes the vast wine market makes it possible to select good wines that fit the current economic climate.

Toffee Caramel Latte Recipe
Pin It

The feel of Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar is what I personally love most about it. Its lush armchairs and warm lighting give it a moody, yet cozy quality. My husband and I often go there after dinner, to have a drink and enjoy company with friends. As a mid-thirties mom, I love having an elegant place I can hang out with my girlfriends and not worry about being hit on. This is no hipster bar; The Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar is a sophisticated lounge to mingle, read, and snack.

Asheville Battery Park

Has the Wright’s dive into the unknown paid off? Thomas says the locals come in for wine and the tourist come in for the books. The point being… they come. Good visitation is the key to any store-front business. Thomas is sensitive to the demands of his ever-growing clientele and has plans for further expansion. I’d say he’s swapped risk for reward.

Thomas’ humble advice, “Know when you’re lucky.” He explained his philosophy that sometimes we do all the right things, but the timing is off. Other times, everything simply lines up for you with the greatest of ease.

I agree with Thomas, but would like to add, it was not luck, but courage and wit, that opened the door.

Yield: 1

Toffee Caramel Latte

The "Carl Sandburg" generously provided by Battery Park Book Exchange.

2 shots espresso (4 Tb.)
6 oz. steamed milk (3/4 cup)
2/3 oz. toffee nut syrup (1 1/2 Tb.)
1/3 oz. caramel sauce (3/4 Tb.)
Whipped Cream and Caramel Sauce to Garnish

Fill a 10 oz. mug with steamed milk and espresso.

Stir in the toffee syrup and caramel sauce.

Top with whipped cream and extra caramel sauce.

Toffee Caramel CoffeeVilleroy & Boch Home Elements.

53 Responses to “Toffee Caramel Latte from Battery Park Book Exchange”

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — October 17, 2011 @ 6:13 am

This place looks cool and this coffee drink: yum!

Jeanette — October 17, 2011 @ 6:16 am

I would love to grab one of those cozy chairs, a cup of that latte and a vintage book. All I’d need is a blanket ;)

Nelly Rodriguez — October 17, 2011 @ 6:38 am

This looks like the perfect thing to drink while cozy-ing up to a book!

Eileen — October 17, 2011 @ 6:59 am

A perfect place, drink and idea!

Cookin' Canuck — October 17, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Wow! That is such a gorgeous spot. I could happily sit there all day, reading books and drinking these lovely lattes.

Kate@Diethood.com — October 17, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Oh look at that gorgeous place…looks so cozy and inviting.

SweetSugarBelle — October 17, 2011 @ 8:21 am

I could stay there all day. and I love their never give up attitude!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — October 17, 2011 @ 9:11 am

I’m usually not a big fan of toffee nut syrup. I wonder if there is a way to make it from scratch. I will have to say though. That Book Exchange is gorgeous!! I just want to curl up on that tufted couch with a hot beverage and a good book.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — October 17, 2011 @ 9:12 am

What a cool place! And with this latte? I’d never leave.

Bev Weidner — October 17, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Um, can I please rent a corner in this space? I’ll wash dishes.

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — October 17, 2011 @ 9:40 am

What a perfect little hideaway!

Nana — October 17, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Another wonderful place to visit our next trip to Asheville. Yummmm.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — October 17, 2011 @ 9:54 am

I truly love this concept. A good book, a great coffee..what could be better?

Diane {Created by Diane} — October 17, 2011 @ 9:55 am

beautiful place to spend the whole day!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — October 17, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Oh my. I think I can almost taste this latte. Sounds delish!!! Thanks for sharing and love the book store. Gorgeous!

jennifurla — October 17, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I would love to be there.

Tina@flourtrader — October 17, 2011 @ 11:33 am

How I would love to curl up on one of those couches with a good book and this wonderful latte! Very inviting decor and great concept.

Joy — October 17, 2011 @ 11:53 am

The coffee looks wonderful.

Christin — October 17, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

This place looks wonderful! We will be in Ashville in a few weeks and I may have to stop by. I don’t think I’ll tell my husband about it though. He LOVES book stores like this and I won’t be able to get him out.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — October 17, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

That coffee would be great about now! I love a good coffee house / book store. My husband would never leave until they kicked him out. Great photos!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — October 17, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Liz — October 17, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

I’d start up my old coffee habit again for one of these delicious beauties! YUM.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — October 17, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

I would never want to leave that place, I’d be happy living among all those books.

Linda — October 17, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I’d love a place like that to stop in with friends. Love the atmosphere and the combination of wine and books!!

Prerna@IndianSimmer — October 17, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

Asheville is definitely on the list of places I would always love to visit. Have been there once and would love to back again and again. The vibrant culture, beautiful streets and restaurants like this one are a few reasons why I love the place. It reminds me a lot of San Francisco.
    LOVE that latte recipe btw and I am sure it makes the place even more popular!

Georgia Pellegrini — October 17, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

What a gorgeous place! I wish I lived close to sit there and have one of those magical looking drinks.

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — October 17, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

Gorgeous place:) And that toffee caramel latte look and sound deliciously great! Hope you have a wonderful week, Sommer :)

HUGS <3

Natalie — October 17, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Looks so delicious.

Wenderly — October 17, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

I could curl up on that caramel leather couch with a cup of that deliciousness and never ever leave.

Angie's Recipes — October 17, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

A nice place to relax and chit chat with friends.

Ann — October 18, 2011 @ 12:49 am

That would be an amazing place to sit and have coffee and conversation….thanks for sharing!

vianney/sweet life — October 18, 2011 @ 11:37 am

Thank you for sharing such a great place, lovely up of joy!!

Kathleen — October 18, 2011 @ 11:57 am

I adore places like this. Wish we had more in Socal! Your photos are fabulous too!

carolinaheartstrings — October 18, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

That is exactly the business I dream of! Good for them. Looks like a wonderful place. I am visiting it the next time I venture over to Asheville. The latte looks fabulous. Come visit. We have a terrific pumpkin panna cotta to share.

Shelby — October 18, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Love this coffee and LOVE your photos!

Katie @ BloomEveryday — October 18, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Oh my – looks so creamy and delicious! I would love one of those tomorrow morning. Check us out some time @ BloomEveryday.wordpress.com – we’d love to share some recipes of ours with you too. :)

Sanjeeta kk — October 19, 2011 @ 6:13 am

Wow..would love to have a cuppa with my favorite book! Such creamy and tempting latte.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — October 19, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

I want to stay there and never leave forever. Of course, surviving just on delicious cups of lattes :)

Darla — October 20, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

This place looks like a place i NEED to be! That Latte looks so good! I may have to give BOTH a try soon, probably the Latte will come long before the trip! ;) Thanks for sharing!

Mary — October 27, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

This looks heavenly and I am not even a coffee drinker. The bookstore looks even better. I would LOVE a place like that.

Dmarie — October 30, 2011 @ 10:22 am

what a gorgeous post! thanks, Spicy!

Connie — November 4, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

What a cute place! It’s cold and dreary here today, I’d love to be there!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — November 8, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Love this post!! This bookstore is now on my Must-Visit list when we are in Asheville the next time we visit my Father in law. Thanks for sharing. Btw….your pictures are beautiful!! :)

RavieNomNoms — May 14, 2013 @ 10:37 am

UM YUM!!! This looks SO amazing :-)

1. Pingback: Top 10 Recipes for Fall Treats | Girl Does Lists

2. Pingback: A Few Random Morning Links … | The Pretense of Knowledge

3. Pingback: Toffee Caramel Latte from Asheville's Battery Park Book Exchange — A Spicy Perspective | internetbillboards | Scoop.it

4. Pingback: Toffee Caramel Latte from Asheville’s Battery Park Book Exchange — A Spicy Perspective | Internet Billboards

5. Pingback: Battery Park Book Exchange in Asheville | Design Carolinas

6. Pingback: #DRINKRECIPE - Toffee Caramel Latte | MBSIB: La...

7. Pingback: Battery Park Book Exchange in Asheville | Tamara Heather Interior Design