Grilled Mustard-Maple Chicken

Mustard Maple Chicken

Versatility and Mustard-Maple Chicken

Every few years when I watch the Olympics, a single word resonates in my ears from coaches and commentators alike… versatility.

You would think a world-class athlete competing in the Olympic Games, would have to dedicate their lives to a single sport or element. To eat, sleep and breath one goal–shoving all else aside. Yet during the “bio” portion of the Olympic broadcasts, what I continually hear from those who know the competitors best, is that many of them are extremely versatile. Well-rounded individuals, capable of greatness in many areas of life. Champions in multiple sports, business moguls, master musicians, published photographers, brilliant parents… amazing.

I can remember, as a child, having such a strong desire to achieve greatness in just one area of life. ANY area, for that matter! I was decent at a few things, but had little natural talent. Because of this, I unknowingly trained myself to work hard–in ALL areas. Over time I developed a work-ethic that, now,  I wouldn’t give up for any amount of raw talent. I’ve always had to grind away to achieve my goals, to gain skill, to get what I want.

Mustard Chicken

I’m thankful for this, and believe it to be a blessing in disguise. I’ve learned to be versatile–maybe not to the extent of an Olympian, mind you, but enough to lead a fulfilling life. Personal versatility (or skillful adaptability) gives you confidence and makes you comfortable in your own skin. Versatility enables you to be open to trying new things. You may have heard the old saying, “Become all things to all people that in the end, you may win some.” Versatility gives you the ability to see another person’s point of view; to relate to others on more than one level, to win people over. Versatility goes a long way.

As for versatility on the dinner table, I present Mustard-Maple Chicken. The mustard-maple glaze cleverly crosses traditional culinary boundaries. It’s sweet, spicy, bold and savory–and it can boost the flavor of almost anything! It complements bone-in chicken and breasts, pork loin and chops, ham, fatty fish such as salmon or trout, and even beef (although I would reduce the amount of maple syrup if using it with beef).

How To Grill Chicken

I usually prefer to grill bone-in chicken because it makes the skin crispy, leaves the meat very moist, and produces lovely grill marks. Yet another versatile aspect of this dish is that it’s just as good BAKED.

Simply slather with the glaze first and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings

Mustard-Maple Chicken

1 whole chicken, boned (or griller's pack of bone-in chicken)
3 Tb. olive oil
2 Tb. Dijon mustard
2 Tb. whole-grain mustard
3 Tb. pure maple syrup
1 Tb. chopped parsley
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel, then oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Mix the 2 Tb. oil, both mustards, maple syrup, parsley, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper together in a small bowl.

Grill the chicken over indirect-medium heat for 15-20 minutes, then flip and brush with mustard glaze. Grill another 15-20 minutes and repeat--40 minutes total.

If roasting in the oven, preheat to 375 degrees F. Brush with glaze and roast for 45 minutes.

Grilled Mustard Chicken

I served this with a simple quinoa salad with cucumbers, dill, and feta cheese.

78 Responses to “Grilled Mustard-Maple Chicken”

Susan — September 30, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Love this sweet and spicy take on grilling sauce! The quinoa salad looks great too! I’ve just started eating quinoa. For a long time, I didn’t know what to do with it!

Susan — September 30, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

Love the sweet and spicy take on this grilling sauce! I also like the quinoa salad idea … for a long time I never knew what to do with it! I don’t know, though, this is very much like a high summer meal! :-) I don’t know if my Fall starved soul can handle it! JK!

Katie | Healthnut Foodie — September 30, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

We love mustard-maple chicken in our house! Whenever I tell my hubby about another hubby not into eating real food, he always directs them to that recipe in my cookbook! Quinoa + feta + dill + cucumbers = bliss!

Olio! — October 1, 2011 @ 12:16 am

This sounds like a treat. Maple on chicken. mmmmm! Thanks for sharing.

Sophie — October 1, 2011 @ 12:25 am

Oooh what a great & tasty end of summer dish! Great for entertaining & it is so tasty & easy to do too! :)!
    I also love that quinoa salad on the side!

Fabulous pictures!

easyfoodsmith — October 1, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Looks delicious and so moist!! Drool worthy!!

easyfoodsmith — October 1, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Looks delicious and so moist!! Drool worthy!

kateiscooking — October 1, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

I’ve used a version of this without the parsley. Can’t wait to try it with that extra burst of flavor!!

Nancy Long — October 1, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

would love to have recipe for the simple quinoa salad with cucumbers, dill, and feta cheese

Angie's Recipes — October 2, 2011 @ 4:14 am

The mustard sauce looks heavenly!

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily — October 2, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Lovely post. I like your thoughts on versatility and being open minded. This is something I have also learned in my errrr, adulthood. ;)
    I am loving this new variation on grilled chicken and really can not wait to try it with that cous cous!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — October 2, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

My-Oh-My…This looks and sounds absolutely wonderful, Sommer! Beautiful flavors…I’m seriously drooling :)

HUGS <3

Jenna — October 3, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I love this recipe, and also the quinoa salad with feta and cucumbers (i just recently discovered quinoa and am THRILLED about it =).

Amanda : Grace & Gusto — October 4, 2011 @ 11:07 am

What a wonderful post, thank you. I’ve bookmarked it, so that I might reread it when I’m feeling particularly jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none-ish.

And that chicken? Marvelous!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — October 7, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Just made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic! Only had chicken breasts on hand so I used those instead and it turned out fantastic! Looking forward to making it again! Thanks for this delicious recipe!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — October 8, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Wow this chicken looks sooooo good. YUM!! I really need to try this out since I’m a maple fanatic. :)

Mariam e — November 4, 2011 @ 3:16 am

I just made this a few days ago and OMG!!! I had a tray of chicken legs so I used those. I wouldn’t stop talking about this recipe for DAYS. I made parmesan mashed potatoes on the side. I’m making this again…and again…..and again…….

Spiceoflife2627 — January 16, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I made this with” morning star vegan chicken strips ” It’s awesome!!!

Marteng — June 30, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Just yesterday, I tried for the first time a maple dish… and today, I checked out some receipts on the web. It’s really strange, I took just the same ingredients, but I prefer Estragon instead of Parsly (but was thinking about Parsley as well). It was really delicious… and at the end, I gave my usual ammount of butter into the pan.

I even dreamt about that meal the following night…

Denise — July 24, 2012 @ 11:22 am

Yum!! Looks and sounds delicious! I love the combo of mustard and maple– never thought to put the two together but how perfect!

Lydia — March 12, 2014 @ 6:54 pm

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and I’ve already made this recipe several times. It’s that good! It’s one of my favorite drumstick marinades. I love how it’s a little sweet and slightly sticky. *finger licking good, literally* =P Thanks for the recipe! I hope you don’t mind that I shared it on my site. Of course, I mentioned your site and provided a link to it. =)

1. Pingback: Cooking with Gojee | City Coeur

2. Pingback: Mustard-Maple Chicken - Paleo Chicken Recipes - Sharing New Recipes Daily!

3. Pingback: September Meal Plan