celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Grilled Mustard-Maple Chicken

Mustard Maple Chicken

Versatility and Mustard-Maple Chicken

Every few years when I watch the Olympics, a single word resonates in my ears from coaches and commentators alike… versatility.

You would think a world-class athlete competing in the Olympic Games, would have to dedicate their lives to a single sport or element. To eat, sleep and breath one goal–shoving all else aside. Yet during the “bio” portion of the Olympic broadcasts, what I continually hear from those who know the competitors best, is that many of them are extremely versatile. Well-rounded individuals, capable of greatness in many areas of life. Champions in multiple sports, business moguls, master musicians, published photographers, brilliant parents… amazing.

I can remember, as a child, having such a strong desire to achieve greatness in just one area of life. ANY area, for that matter! I was decent at a few things, but had little natural talent. Because of this, I unknowingly trained myself to work hard–in ALL areas. Over time I developed a work-ethic that, now,  I wouldn’t give up for any amount of raw talent. I’ve always had to grind away to achieve my goals, to gain skill, to get what I want.

Mustard Chicken

I’m thankful for this, and believe it to be a blessing in disguise. I’ve learned to be versatile–maybe not to the extent of an Olympian, mind you, but enough to lead a fulfilling life. Personal versatility (or skillful adaptability) gives you confidence and makes you comfortable in your own skin. Versatility enables you to be open to trying new things. You may have heard the old saying, “Become all things to all people that in the end, you may win some.” Versatility gives you the ability to see another person’s point of view; to relate to others on more than one level, to win people over. Versatility goes a long way.

As for versatility on the dinner table, I present Mustard-Maple Chicken. The mustard-maple glaze cleverly crosses traditional culinary boundaries. It’s sweet, spicy, bold and savory–and it can boost the flavor of almost anything! It complements bone-in chicken and breasts, pork loin and chops, ham, fatty fish such as salmon or trout, and even beef (although I would reduce the amount of maple syrup if using it with beef).

How To Grill Chicken

I usually prefer to grill bone-in chicken because it makes the skin crispy, leaves the meat very moist, and produces lovely grill marks. Yet another versatile aspect of this dish is that it’s just as good BAKED.

Simply slather with the glaze first and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.

Mustard-Maple Chicken

Yield: 6 servings

1 whole chicken, boned (or griller's pack of bone-in chicken)
3 Tb. olive oil
2 Tb. Dijon mustard
2 Tb. whole-grain mustard
3 Tb. pure maple syrup
1 Tb. chopped parsley
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel, then oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Mix the 2 Tb. oil, both mustards, maple syrup, parsley, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper together in a small bowl.

Grill the chicken over indirect-medium heat for 15-20 minutes, then flip and brush with mustard glaze. Grill another 15-20 minutes and repeat--40 minutes total.

If roasting in the oven, preheat to 375 degrees F. Brush with glaze and roast for 45 minutes.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

Grilled Mustard Chicken

I served this with a simple quinoa salad with cucumbers, dill, and feta cheese.

You May Also Like...

81 Responses to “Grilled Mustard-Maple Chicken”

1. CattyCooksposted February 24, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Sounds yummy!

2. Katposted February 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm

This looks really good. Especially that quinoa cucumber salad! I'm a sucker for mediterranean flavors.

3. Birenposted February 24, 2010 at 8:13 pm

This looks wonderful! I like how you mix the regular and red quinoa together. I have only had quinoa a few times. Must learn and do more with it.

4. Tasty Eats At Homeposted February 24, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I love this! I happen to have both red and white quinoa at home – never thought to mix them together. So pretty!

5. Carolposted February 25, 2010 at 2:43 am

Oh, the chicken looks divine! I can't wait to try it! I didn't know there was red quinoa, I've made the regular. I'm going to look for the red, yum, can't wait to try the salad too!

6. Ashleighposted February 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Your pictures are beautful. And your recipes are great too. Glad I found your site on Foodblogs.

7. Ed Schenkposted February 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Great flavor profive on the chicken. I'll have to try it!

8. Paula Marieposted March 3, 2010 at 11:58 pm

You are so wrong, Sommer. You are very talented! I've seen the pictures that your mom has posted of your creativity and your blog is very well written and thought out. Need I mention the recipes? You have great talent – even if it only comes from the determination to achieve!

9. Paula Marieposted March 4, 2010 at 12:59 am

I've just been reading a couple of your recipes. You have an amazing eye for presentation and a talent for bringing out the sensuality of food and words. I think it runs in the family. :) I'm definitely bookmarking this blog! And I meant to say 'only' in the previous post.

10. Pingback: Cooking with Gojee | City Coeur

11. fish oilposted September 29, 2011 at 6:12 am

Hello.I was reading someone elses blog and saw you on their blogroll.Great Thanks !

12. Curtposted September 29, 2011 at 6:54 am

My kind of grilling! What a great sounding glaze!

13. RavieNomNomsposted September 29, 2011 at 7:41 am

This is a fantastic recipe! I love mustard and chicken together. I have actually had something very similar to this and it was so yummy. I will have to try this one and see how it compares. I am sure it will knock it outta the park, looks deeelllish!

14. Lisa @ Tarte du Jourposted September 29, 2011 at 7:45 am

This looks mouthwatering! I love a good chicken recipe that shakes things up. My family would love this!

15. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Timeposted September 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

I think when Dijon and maple syrup get together magic happens. This looks absolutely fantastic.

Regarding the versatility thing; studies have shown that kids who focus on a sport and pour themselves into it make better business moguls, master musicians, published photographers, brilliant parents, etc., because they have developed discipline, respect, self control and all the things necessary for excelling in life.

16. Eileenposted September 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

Looks so moist and delicious. I’m always looking for new recipes to make with our homemade maple syrup – yum….

17. Apron Appealposted September 29, 2011 at 7:48 am

Dinner tonight. I love it when I get an idea in the morning instead of at 5:00 p.m. Whole grain mustard….are we talking liquid or powder. I’ve never seen it referred to as whole grain mustard.

• Sommer — September 29th, 2011 @ 7:53 am

It’s similar to Dijon, just not blended. My jar reads “Whole Grain” but some say “course grain”.

18. Lizposted September 29, 2011 at 7:53 am

Oh, my, this looks wonderful, Sommer! We grill 12 months a year (unless there’s over a foot of snow!), so I’m always looking for new twists on grilled chicken. YUM!

19. Kitaposted September 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

I totally get sucked into the Olympics – and how amazing all of the athletes are. This chicken looks beautiful – I often don’t grill bone in, but this certainly makes me want to.

20. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmetposted September 29, 2011 at 9:02 am

Oh my gorgeous! That chicken is calling my name somethin fierce! Wow. I need to make this pronto!

21. Kellyposted September 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

Wow this chicken looks absolutely perfect! Love your photos and just printed your recipe, can’t wait to try this! :)

22. Chris @ TheKeenanCookBookposted September 29, 2011 at 9:13 am

Grilling season is never over in my house. There has been snow on the ground, and I’ve been out there grilling. Really! :) Living this glaze! Will need to try it out.

23. Tricia @ Saving room for dessertposted September 29, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’m going to make this one too! I still have the grilled pork loin with dijon mustard on my list too. Maybe I should just come on over to your house for dinner. Terrific photos Sommer – as always – it looks so delicious :)

24. Tiff @ Babes and Kidsposted September 29, 2011 at 9:33 am

Wow, that looks incredible, what a great take on chicken.

25. MIss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted September 29, 2011 at 10:07 am

That looks super fantastic! I have just started to like Maple flavoring in recipes I will have to give this a try.

26. Cherineposted September 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

Irresistible chicken pieces!

27. Jeanetteposted September 29, 2011 at 11:13 am

Isn’t it interesting that what we are not gifted with makes us strive for more. Love the versatility of this mustard maple marinade.

28. Eliotposted September 29, 2011 at 11:39 am

The glaze sounds amazing. Good pics, too!

29. Barbara | Creative Culinaryposted September 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Great minds and all…I’ve got pork loin chops in the smoker with a very similar glaze…maple and mustard can not be beat in my opinion. But I need more recipes for quinoa and this one sounds perfect as an accompaniment for the chops too!

30. Cookin' Canuckposted September 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm

There definitely is something to be said for really hard work. And let me tell you, it has paid off for you – just look at those gorgeous pictures and that recipe that made me want to reach right through the screen. You are a talent for sure, Sommer.

31. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted September 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Oh my! This looks like a winner for my family’s tastes. Beautiful!!

32. Kimmiposted September 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Okay, I’m officially hungry.

33. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted September 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm

This chicken looks so flavorful! Love that marinade!

34. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted September 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

looks awesome!! bookmarked

35. Dmarieposted September 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I am crazy over mustard these days. definitely hope to make this soon!!

36. claire @ the realistic nutritionistposted September 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm

YUMMM!!!! These flavors look so amazing together!!

37. carolinaheartstringsposted September 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm

That is my kind of grilled chicken. It looks so delicious. Come over and visit us. We have the most amazing apple cake recipe you have ever tasted.

38. Karriann Grafposted September 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm

What a great combination of flavors to make chicken more interesting! Happy Cooking!

39. Jen at The Three Little Pigletsposted September 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I little more liquid and it would be an amazing salad vinaigrette as well!

40. Kristenposted September 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

What a delicious way to cook chicken. I wish I had some of it for dinner right now!

41. Rachel aka foodyrachposted September 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Yum! That looks awesome!! Love your story. I hear you on the working hard! :)

42. Skinny Fat Kidposted September 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Perfect! I have some chicken legs in the freezer. Love your side dish too. Maybe with couscous??

43. MIchelleposted September 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Sommer I saw the tweet this morning and now I’m intriqued at making this.yum ;)

44. Deborahposted September 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

This looks absolutely amazing – and I love that it IS so versatile. Yum!

45. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom}posted September 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Gorgeous, Sommer! This sounds like a stellar combination of flavors!

46. Annposted September 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

What a terrific flavor combination! I just did a mustard apricot pork and I really like that savory sweet combination! This is amazing – buzzed!

47. Vickyposted September 30, 2011 at 7:15 am

Looks delicious. I’ll have to try making this over the weekend. Unfortunately I don’t have access to grill – but I’ll trying baking the drumsticks instead!

48. Feast on the Cheapposted September 30, 2011 at 7:54 am

So glad to hear this is just as good baked – I’m working without a grill over here in my pint-size apartment

49. Tickled Redposted September 30, 2011 at 9:54 am

Those look delicious! I wish I had some for lunch. Great recipes, I love to play around with mustard as well!

50. Joyposted September 30, 2011 at 11:40 am

That looks great.

51. Wenderlyposted September 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Oh does that sound lovely and just perfect for Fall!

52. Susanposted September 30, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Love this sweet and spicy take on grilling sauce! The quinoa salad looks great too! I’ve just started eating quinoa. For a long time, I didn’t know what to do with it!

53. Susanposted September 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Love the sweet and spicy take on this grilling sauce! I also like the quinoa salad idea … for a long time I never knew what to do with it! I don’t know, though, this is very much like a high summer meal! :-) I don’t know if my Fall starved soul can handle it! JK!

54. Katie | Healthnut Foodieposted September 30, 2011 at 9:08 pm

We love mustard-maple chicken in our house! Whenever I tell my hubby about another hubby not into eating real food, he always directs them to that recipe in my cookbook! Quinoa + feta + dill + cucumbers = bliss!

55. Olio!posted October 1, 2011 at 12:16 am

This sounds like a treat. Maple on chicken. mmmmm! Thanks for sharing.

56. Sophieposted October 1, 2011 at 12:25 am

Oooh what a great & tasty end of summer dish! Great for entertaining & it is so tasty & easy to do too! :)!
    I also love that quinoa salad on the side!

Fabulous pictures!

57. easyfoodsmithposted October 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

Looks delicious and so moist!! Drool worthy!!

58. easyfoodsmithposted October 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

Looks delicious and so moist!! Drool worthy!

59. kateiscookingposted October 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I’ve used a version of this without the parsley. Can’t wait to try it with that extra burst of flavor!!

60. Nancy Longposted October 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

would love to have recipe for the simple quinoa salad with cucumbers, dill, and feta cheese

61. Angie's Recipesposted October 2, 2011 at 4:14 am

The mustard sauce looks heavenly!

62. Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamilyposted October 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

Lovely post. I like your thoughts on versatility and being open minded. This is something I have also learned in my errrr, adulthood. ;)
    I am loving this new variation on grilled chicken and really can not wait to try it with that cous cous!

63. Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmetposted October 2, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My-Oh-My…This looks and sounds absolutely wonderful, Sommer! Beautiful flavors…I’m seriously drooling :)

HUGS <3

64. Jennaposted October 3, 2011 at 10:29 am

I love this recipe, and also the quinoa salad with feta and cucumbers (i just recently discovered quinoa and am THRILLED about it =).

65. Amanda : Grace & Gustoposted October 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

What a wonderful post, thank you. I’ve bookmarked it, so that I might reread it when I’m feeling particularly jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none-ish.

And that chicken? Marvelous!

66. Jennifer @ Mother Thymeposted October 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Just made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic! Only had chicken breasts on hand so I used those instead and it turned out fantastic! Looking forward to making it again! Thanks for this delicious recipe!

67. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagelsposted October 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Wow this chicken looks sooooo good. YUM!! I really need to try this out since I’m a maple fanatic. :)

68. Mariam eposted November 4, 2011 at 3:16 am

I just made this a few days ago and OMG!!! I had a tray of chicken legs so I used those. I wouldn’t stop talking about this recipe for DAYS. I made parmesan mashed potatoes on the side. I’m making this again…and again…..and again…….

69. Spiceoflife2627posted January 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I made this with” morning star vegan chicken strips ” It’s awesome!!!

70. Martengposted June 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

Just yesterday, I tried for the first time a maple dish… and today, I checked out some receipts on the web. It’s really strange, I took just the same ingredients, but I prefer Estragon instead of Parsly (but was thinking about Parsley as well). It was really delicious… and at the end, I gave my usual ammount of butter into the pan.

I even dreamt about that meal the following night…

71. Deniseposted July 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

Yum!! Looks and sounds delicious! I love the combo of mustard and maple– never thought to put the two together but how perfect!

72. Pingback: Mustard-Maple Chicken - Paleo Chicken Recipes - Sharing New Recipes Daily!

73. Pingback: September Meal Plan

74. Pingback: 4 Weeks of Meal Plans for September

75. Pingback: September Meal Plan: Dinners for the month

76. Pingback: September meal plan: dinners for your busy month

77. Lydiaposted March 12, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and I’ve already made this recipe several times. It’s that good! It’s one of my favorite drumstick marinades. I love how it’s a little sweet and slightly sticky. *finger licking good, literally* =P Thanks for the recipe! I hope you don’t mind that I shared it on my site. Of course, I mentioned your site and provided a link to it. =)

78. Pingback: Long weekend recipe round up - Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen

79. Pingback: Home eats - Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen

80. Mistyposted November 14, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I made this chicken roasted in the oven last year for Thanksgiving for those who did not enjoy turkey. This was by far the family favorite. The flavor is perfect and the chicken is moist. It also looks beautiful when finished. My family insisted that I make it for Thanksgiving again this year. Thank you for a delicious and beautiful recipe!