How to Make Marshmallow Fondant

How to Make Marshmallow Fondant

I am not a pastry chef, nor do I own a bake shop. However, I can show you How to Make Marshmallow Fondant. This easy recipe tastes better than most fondants and will definitely impress your friends.

Why Make Fondant?

• It looks cool. Come on, you know that’s the main reason.
  • Homemade fondant tastes better than store-bought fondant.
  • It saves tons of money. My local baking supply store sells fondant for $8 a pound. This recipe make 3 lbs. for less than $5.
  • It’s SO much easier than you ever thought it could be.
  • You KNOW you’ve always wanted to make a cake like the ones you see on Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss. Admit it!

Fondant MushroomsPin It

For years I was terrified of fondant. I’d look at cakes online, in magazines, or on TV and always secretly wish I could create such masterpieces.

Then I heard a rumor from a chef that you could make fondant out of marshmallows and powdered sugar. WHAT?!? Marshmallows were the only thing standing between me and my dream? …Pretty much.

Now that I’ve conquered fondant, I feel invincible.  I’ll attack any “hard-to-make” dish with blind confidence. Turducken, Beef Wellington, Mile-High Souffles, let me at ‘em!

How to Make Marshmallow Fondant:

The most important thing to remember is grease, grease, grease. Marshmallow fondant is very sticky until it’s finished. Grease everything it is going to touch–including YOU.

How to Make Fondant

Melt the marshmallows with a little water in a GREASED microwave-safe bowl. Mix the powdered sugar and marshmallow in a GREASED electric mixer, until the mixer sounds exhausted.

Making Fondant

Then GREASE the counter and yourself, and knead until smooth.

How to Fondant

Believe it or not, that’s it.

Coloring Fondant

Then you can use your amazing fondant to cover cakes, mold into critters and cut fun shapes for cupcake toppers. It rolls out like a dream and molds just like play-dough.

Fondant Cupcake Toppers

Fondant is best used to create a smooth layer over cakes, for FLAT decorations, and for squatty shapes that aren’t top heavy. If you want to make standing bows or larger flowers you’ll need to use gumpaste because it drys harder.

Molding Fondant

No fancy tools here. I bought a $1 pack of plastic pallet knives to help form the mushrooms and gnomes. You can also paint fondant with food coloring for a “water-colory” look.

How to Paint Fondant

Yield: 3 lbs

Prep Time: 20

How to Make Marshmallow Fondant

16 oz. mini marshmallows
3-6 Tb. water
½ tsp. extract flavoring of choice (optional)
2 lbs. powdered sugar
2/3 cup Shortening
(Cornstarch for rolling)

Place the shortening in a small bowl, you’ll need to dip into throughout the entire process.

Grease a microwave-safe bowl, the electric mixer bowl, the paddle attachment and a spatula with shortening.

Pour the marshmallows, 3 Tb. of water and the extract in the microwave-safe bowl.

Melt the marshmallows in the microwave in 30 second increments. Stir with the greased spatula in between.

Continue until the marshmallows are completely smooth—2-3 minutes.

Pour the marshmallows into the greased mixer bowl. Start the mixer on low and slowly add the entire bag of powdered sugar. Mix until the mixer starts to struggle. There will still be plenty of dried clumps in the bowl.

Grease a clean work surface and your hands. Dump the mixture out on the surface, clumps and all. Start kneading and re-grease hands as needed.

Knead for several minutes until the mixture is clump free. At this point, if it seems to be dry and rips when you pull it, add a little more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the fondant is soft, pliable and can stretch a little ways when you pull on it. *When you add the water, it is going to seem like a mistake for a moment, but re-grease your hands and keep kneading. The water will absorb into the fondant.

Now, grease the whole ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Place the wrapped ball in a large zip bag and squeeze out all the air before sealing. Let it sit overnight to improve the texture and elasticity. *You can use it immediately in a “cake emergency” but it’s better to wait.

*It’s best to color fondant right before using so the color doesn’t fade. Drop a few drops of food coloring on the fondant and knead in.

Once it has sat over night, sprinkle a clean work surface, and your hands, with cornstarch. *Some people use more powdered sugar for this, but they risk adding clumps to their perfectly smooth fondant. Cornstarch doesn’t clump.

If rolling out for a cake, rub cornstarch on the rolling pin and roll until just over 1/8 inch thick. Make sure to measure the cake and sides accordingly. Drape over a frosted cake and gently smooth any bumps or creases. Carefully cut the excess fondant around the bottom.

If using for molding, HAVE FUN! It molds just like play dough. If wrapped well, it will keep at room temperature for a long, long time.

Marshmallow Fondant

115 Responses to “How to Make Marshmallow Fondant”

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — September 12, 2011 @ 6:19 am

wow how cool!

Jeanette — September 12, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Wow, I would never think to make my own fondant. How cute are your gnomes!

Bev Weidner — September 12, 2011 @ 7:11 am

All right, those are DARN cute.

Shaina — September 12, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I love how easy marshmallow fondant is. And those mushrooms and gnomes are just adorable, Sommer!

Curt — September 12, 2011 @ 7:28 am

You’re right. It does look cool. I probably won’t try this myself, but I know my wife will like it. She’s experimented with fondant a few times.

Sawsan@ chef in disguise — September 12, 2011 @ 7:39 am

I love Marshmallow fondant! I discovered it recently and it is loads of fun!
    Love the mushrooms and gnomes!

Feast on the Cheap — September 12, 2011 @ 8:07 am

WHOA. So impressive. Those shrooms look so real

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — September 12, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Oh Sommer – you are my hero! I have always wanted to try working with fondant and now you tell me I can make my own! Thank you a million times! Your gnomes are so adorable. Why or why don’t I work in a bakery instead at a desk?

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — September 12, 2011 @ 8:15 am

You are simply awesome, Sommer! That is just too cool. I’m so far removed from cake decorating, that I’ve never heard of marshmallow fondant. Adorable!

I had absolutely no idea that it would be that easy. I can’t wait to give it a try and make my own. Thank you, thank you for showing us how to make it.

I adore those gnomes too. I don’t know that I’m up for that, but I bet I could conquer the mushrooms!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 12, 2011 @ 8:34 am

I’m saving this post. I usually hate the taste of fondant. I do like marshmallow fondant much better and you’ve made it look so easy to make!

Cookin' Canuck — September 12, 2011 @ 8:34 am

Great tutorial! This is the way I make my fondant, too and it tastes SO much better than many commercial brands out there.

JulieD — September 12, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Oh my gosh, that is so cute! I’m still not brave enough and am too lazy to make my own fondant. You do make it look way too easy…

JulieD — September 12, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — September 12, 2011 @ 9:05 am

Wonderful tutorial Sommer! My mind is going nuts right now with the things I could make with Marshmallow Fondant. Thank you for sharing!!

Susie — September 12, 2011 @ 9:08 am

That is awesome!!!! I am so excited to try this….. great post!

Diane {Created by Diane} — September 12, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Those are so darn cute!

Stay-At-Home-Chef — September 12, 2011 @ 11:09 am

These would be PERFECT for my daughter’s Gnomeo & Juliet themed b-day party :)

rachelle — September 12, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Thank you for this recipe. If only I had known how to do this when I made my daughter a fairy cake with mushrooms.

chinmayie @ love food eat — September 12, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Super cool! I don’t believe this! looks so easy :)

Angie's Recipes — September 12, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

What a great tutorial! You made it seem so easy to do. Thanks, Sommer.

Maria — September 12, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Would it be terrible to use a dough hook and knead it in the mixer? I’m lazy….

• Sommer — September 12th, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Hey Maria,

I’ve tried that… the fondant is so thick it will give your mixer a whoopin! But the mixer really does the majority of the work before you dump it out.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — September 12, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

So impressed! Those are incredible well done.

Linda — September 12, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

I love making this fondant! I use the dough hook instead of paddle so that it’s not as hard on my KA. I still knead it myself. I can tell if it is ready better by feeling the fondant. BTW if it gets hard just microwave in increments of seconds.

• kelly — June 15th, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I am glad I saw this! I made it last night and I need it for the weekend so I wanted to check on it today incase I had to make a new batch. It feels a little stiff, or like when you would stretch chewed gum (I know I used to as a kid when I was bored haha). Hoping it is ok!

Kathy - Panini Happy — September 12, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Oh my goodness, your gnomes are SO cute! I can’t wait to try this, I love the idea of fondant that actually tastes good. :-)

naomi — September 12, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

Those gnomes are so aweseome-So cute and well carved!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — September 12, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

I am SO doing this!!!! Awesome!!

Chef Dennis — September 12, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I have never made fondant, and now thanks to you I know how! this is going on my list of things to teach my girls this year!
    Thank you so much for the lesson!

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — September 12, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Your gnomes are so cute! I didn’t realize this was makeable, I always buy fondant at the store. I’m excited to have a recipe to try, thanks for the great share!

Alison — September 12, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Yup. I have a feeling these marshmallow fondant mushrooms are going to be making an appearance the next time I have to bake something for the mushroom club….

Kathy — September 12, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

I use my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook and have to do very little hand kneading. It works great!

marla — September 12, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Homemade fondant is genius! And those little gnomes are precious :)

Ann — September 12, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

Absolutely brilliant! Buzzed AND bookmarked!

Cathy/ShowFoodChef — September 12, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

I found your blog because of Marla’s post on FaceBook. Thank you for being so generous as to share this great recipe and with an easy to follow how-to. Beautiful!

Sanjeeta kk — September 12, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

What a marvelous creation..you made it look all so easy, Sommer! Love those cute little dolls.

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — September 13, 2011 @ 6:20 am

It never crossed my mind to make my own fondant! This is bookmarked for sure because not only does it look easy, it costs less and tastes better!

Robyn Medlin — September 13, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Just found your site- bookmarked! I’ll be checking back for more fab recipes!

Robyn Medlin — September 13, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Just found your site- bookmarked! I’ll be checking back for more fab recipes!

Cajun Chef Ryan — September 13, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Those are some really cute mushrooms! Great fun too!

Magic of Spice — September 13, 2011 @ 10:19 am

What a great post! These are amazing!!!

Sarah @ pão e queijo — September 13, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This is SO helpful, you make it look so easy! Thanks!

Lauren — September 13, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I’ve made this before, but with water, marshmallows and powdered sugar! And it was by hand, not in a mixer! Marshmallow fondant is so good compared to the other {gross} store bought kind! Great tutorial!

Carolinaheartstrings — September 13, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

This is a must keep and use often recipe. Thanks for showing us how easy it can be. Come visit us. We have a terrific aplenty chutney recipe.

leslie — September 13, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

your right..the premade fondant is sooooo expensive. $15.00 for 2 pounds at the cake store I go to! Crazy. MMF tastes much better too!

Shop with Me Mama (Kim) — September 14, 2011 @ 12:16 am

Now this is something I can do!! Thanks for that easy recipe!

myFudo — September 14, 2011 @ 1:11 am

You make it the tasks sound so easy,good recipe.Delicious!

Apron Appeal — September 14, 2011 @ 2:43 am

Look at those little sculpted creations! This is why Royal Icing and fondant and me don’t get along very well. Big picture in the brain that I cannot make happen with my hands I must not have played with playdough enough as a kid.

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour — September 14, 2011 @ 6:59 am

You are so clever!! I have never made fondant before and you motivated me to give it a try! I adore the gnomes!

bianca — September 14, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

How fun! Those mushrooms look strikingly real!

torviewtoronto — September 14, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

creative looks wonderful

Patty — September 14, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

You’re right, this is cool! Talk about playing with your food;-)

Dmarie — September 14, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

too CUTE! and with marshmallows involved, bet you’re right about it being better tasting!

Marisa — September 14, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Those little gnomes are so cute! This is a a very useful post–definitely saving it. I can’t believe how expensive store-bought fondant is, plus it tastes gross! This is the way to go.

Kita — September 15, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

I saw a picture of these little gnomes on another site and thought they were soooo cute! I am super excited to see that it was you who created them!!!

Eileen — September 15, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe and secrets. I am frightened of fondant. Maybe I will give it a try now.

Vijitha — September 16, 2011 @ 12:45 am

So nice! I love those cute little mushroom look alikes. You have magic in your hands. Brilliant work

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — September 17, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I had NO idea it was so simple!

Michelle — September 19, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

amazing post! I would jump for joy if I could make those mushrooms look like that!

Luciana — September 21, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Hi Sommer!
    Those mushrooms and gnomes are adorable!
    Great tutorial! I follow your instructions and I got a good fondant. Thanks!

Karriann Graf — September 24, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Love this, thanks for sharing, happy Baking!

miami divorce lawyer — September 30, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

how cute is this.. I love gnomes.

Robyn | Add a Pinch — October 4, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

You are so talented, Sommer! Those gnomes are ADORABLE!!!!

Anamika — October 6, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

You have addressed the secret desire of all the home bakers..to master the art of well decorated cake…This is where the crappy tasting store fondants create havoc..thanks for this simple way to solve it!! Planning to try with butter…will let u know how it came.

Ela — November 13, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Tasha — November 27, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

You ROCK! No… Seriously!! I wish i’d have found this recipe before making my sons birthday cake!! I will most definitely be using this next year! Thanks so much for posting!

Rebecca — January 7, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

I am planning on doing this for the first time for a birthday this coming weekend. I was wondering if it will cover a two tiered cake? Also im doing a zebra stripe on the cake. Do I need to do this twice?

• Sommer — January 7th, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

Hi Rebecca,

I would make a double batch to be safe. If you have leftover fondant it will keep for a very long time in the fridge. :)

• Andrea Quigley — April 16th, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Whats a very long time? Like a month or longer

• Sommer — April 21st, 2013 @ 7:27 am

I’ve had some stored for 3 months and it’s just fine!

Rebecca — January 7, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Does the temp in the air make a difference?

• Sommer — January 9th, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Hi Rebecca!

The air temp shouldn’t matter that much. It will be a little softer in warm temps and a little more firm in cooler temps, but not by much. :)

Laurie — February 21, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Late on this discussion, but adding a teaspoon or so of light cornsyrup to the melted marshmallow will help with the pliability of the fondant. Less tears and a little stretching room to cover all sides of the cake. Also, add your food coloring gel before mixing in the powder sugar. Lots easier!

Amy — March 29, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Trying this tonight for my daughters B-Day tie dye peace sign cake. Can’t wait.

Jessie — May 10, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I just tried this and… It as amazing! I’ve just been kneading it all by hand after microwaving and this so much easier!!! I will be doing this from now on!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I’m forever grateful!! Lol

Sandy — May 10, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! Its exactly what I was looking for, an alternative to store bought fondant that I can use to mold a penguin couple out of for a wedding shower cake, and the bow for on top. Super excited to try this! :)

Danielle — May 12, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

i have been looking for this recipe for a while now & i finally found it. thank you :-)

Brittany — May 22, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

Can’t wait to make fondant for the first time and Ive never used it! What kind of extract do you use? Is it good without any extract?

• Sommer — May 22nd, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

I usually use almond extract, but you could flavor it however you want. I bet it would just taste like sugar without a flavoring. :)

• Ashli — June 17th, 2014 @ 7:24 am

It Tate’s like marshmallows without doing any extract

Ramya — June 5, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Lovely recipe….!!!! and how nicely u’ve used the food colors…!! can’t wait to try…

Dawn Hall — June 9, 2012 @ 8:26 am

I’m getting ready to try this recipe, but am curious to know how long it will keep at room temperature? You said if in #13: “If wrapped well, it will keep at room temperature for a long, long time,” but what exactly does that mean. Once it’s wrapped in saran wrap, can I put the ball in a ziplock food saver bag & remove the excess air with my handheld foodsaver vac? And how long is “a long, long time” really…1 week, 1 month, longer? Please elaborate…it would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for sharing this recipe…

• Sommer — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Hi Dawn,

I’ve had some in the pantry (wrapped well) for 3 months and it’s still soft. The longest I’ve ever let it sit and still used it was about 4 months. I had that in the frig though…

Pirates Cove Cupcakes — July 18, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

You have made my dreams come true. I got out of walmart bakery, and am in a private bakery that someone else has. And soon, armed with this and imagination, will go on my own with a bakery of my own someday.

And it tastes better then all that stuff that gets shipped anyway, but then again, all homemade things do.

shannon moe — August 23, 2012 @ 11:37 am

Hi–
    I am planning on making this fondant however I do not have a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Will it still turn out if I use a hand mixer?? thanks =)

• Sommer — August 23rd, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Hi Shannon, You can, but it probably won’t get you very far. You’ll have to do most of the mixing by hand. Let me know how it goes!

• Benita — March 3rd, 2013 @ 7:02 am

I do not use a hand mixer when i make mine. I microwave the marshmallow, add most of my powder sugar, then grease my counter top before i pour out and just knead it. As I knead ! add a little bit of sugar at a time until I get the right consistency.

Rebecca — August 25, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

This is a very good recipe but blending the powdered sugar and marshmallows did not work out very well .. so instead I just used my hands to mix it up . hanks worked out very well !

Kelly — September 15, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

I tried this recipe today to make a smiling sun for a bday cake. I halved it, but stuck to the exact measurement ratios, and it turned out like runny, gummy glue. Fortunately I had the wherewithal to realize it just needed something dry, and since I didn’t have any more powdered sugar, I added flour. Turned out great! Not too sweet, still tastes like marshmallow. Thanks for posting this.

• Sommer — September 16th, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

Hey Kelly, As with most baking/sugar issues it might have had to do with climate and conditions. I’m so glad you were able to fix it!

Meg — November 6, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

I have made this fondant before & mine was SO sticky…but the more powdered sugar I added, it made the fondant crack (I was covering a cake). I literally couldn’t touch it, without it sticking to me, which was incredibly annoying. Any remedies for this…or something I possibly did wrong?

melissa — February 5, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I just tried out this recipe! amazing :) and you are right…. grease grease grease!

Rene' — February 18, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

Wow, this is an amazing find, thank you for been so generous in sharing this recipe. As I am from South Africa any suggestions on what I could replace the shortening
    with as we dont have it in SA. Has any one tried it with butter. This has come at such a good time as I am planning to make bakes for parties and weddings, again thank you

VeggieTanya — February 23, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I greased everything with coconut oil instead of shortening. Worked great. Now I’m off to make fondant toilet paper for my son’s poop cake…

Sarah — March 15, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

I just made this today. Making the fondant was super easy. Coloring it was another story. After sitting in the fridge all night I had a white rock to work with. I had to cut it up and attempt to kneed in a color. It wasn’t until the fondant got so dry from the shortening and the air and I added water that the color became more uniform, and the fondant a sticky mess. Eventually it worked out, however it took hours of kneading and fighting. I would recommend cutting it into smaller pieces and microwaving it. It becomes super malleable and the color is uniform very quickly. On the upside, it tastes yummy!

Jonalyn Cezar — March 25, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

Hi can i used butter instead of shortening coz i can’t find shortening here in italy? Thanks

humaira — March 31, 2014 @ 6:16 am

Thank you! Now that I know how to make marshmallow fondant, my cookies, cupcakes and cake wouldn’t be the same. What a great find.!but some time when i cover my cake with fondant it gets cracked…..plzz tell me why?and how can i correct it ……………….thankss

1. Pingback: 第一朵翻糖玫瑰–棉花糖翻糖膏制作和翻糖玫瑰制作步骤 | **You live, You learn**

2. Pingback: 用简单的工具做翻糖玫瑰–自制棉花糖翻糖膏—Marshmallow Fondant Rose | **You live, You learn**

3. Pingback: How to Icing/ Frosting toppings! by zoru - Pearltrees

4. Pingback: The Very Hungry Caterpillar 1st Birthday Party « Betchacanteatjustone's Blog

5. Pingback: Pinterest Challenge: Homemade Fondant | Wives Unscripted

6. Pingback: Making Monsters: Food and Drink « Hoosier Party Girl

7. Pingback: Recettes | Pearltrees

8. Pingback: sartee | Pearltrees

9. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

10. Pingback: Marshmallow Fondant | Gracefully Giddy

11. Pingback: Creating… Cherry Almond Birthday Cake with a hint of Chocolate | Creating... Miranda

12. Pingback: Over 1500 Miles of {mis}adventure (Part One) | theMEESH{dot}com

13. Pingback: Very Hungry Caterpillar First Birthday Party {Food Details} | Kayla Danelle

14. Pingback: Candy Sushi and Ninjago Party Food | Hoosier Party Girl

15. Pingback: Fondant the New Trend | Sandy's Creations

16. Pingback: Slice of Life 2014: #29 | A little of this, a little of that

17. Pingback: Very Hungry Caterpillar First Birthday Party {Food Details} | My great WordPress blog