Tabouli with Feta and Endive

Tabouli with Feta and Endive

A new-found love for Tabouli, with Feta and Endive.

We all have those things we wouldn’t eat as a kid. Then slowly, as we bloom into maturity, our palates develop a mind of their own.

Thinking back, their were only a handful of things I wouldn’t touch when I was little:  yellow squash, raw tomatoes, egg yolks, wet bananas (like in fruit salad), and tabouli.

Tabouli salad was my arch-nemesis. I remember sitting at the dining table long after everyone else had left, refusing to each the two bites my mother required. Luckily, we had an expanding table that could hold large leaves on either end. Underneath the joints were brackets that stuck out like little shelves. If I was very careful that no one saw, I could shovel my meal under the table onto the little shelves! Later the dog would come remove the evidence. Sneaky…

Tabouli Recipe

Unfortunately, my parents LOVED tabouli. Maybe the haunting memories of it have warped reality, but it seemed to be in the fridge ALL THE TIME.

Nowadays, I can’t think of what it was about tabouli, I didn’t like. Maybe all the parsley threw me off… or the citrus, who knows. What I can tell you is that I love it, I crave it, and I prefer it to most any other grain salad.

Tabouli Salad

The bright pop of lemon paired with the nutty essence of the bulghur wheat, and the cooling effects of mint and cucumbers are hard to beat. Plus it holds up for days in the fridge! That means I can make a large batch, and stand with the refrigerator doors open eating it for days on end. Nice.

In fact, the only thing that could possibly make tabouli better is feta, and a bitter bite from endive leaves. Either dollop the tabouli salad into the endive leaves and top with crumbled feta for a refined appetizer, or place in a bowl and let your guests scoop their leaves ’til their heart’s content.

Feta and Endive

Authentic Tabloui Recipes (also called tabbouleh) are all pretty much the same: bulghur wheat, mint, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, lemon, olive oil. The only real variation you’ll find is in porportion–and even that doesn’t vary much. However, if you are looking for a subtle change, try making tabouli salad with quinoa or whole grain couscous.

PS~ my kids, who eat everything under the sun, will not touch tabouli. It must run in the family. *wink*

Tabbouleh

Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes active time

Tabouli with Feta and Endive

1 cup bulghur wheat
1 ½ cups boiling water
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 ½ tsp. salt
1 bunch green onions, chopped (tops and bottoms)
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 bunch mint leaves, chopped
1 English cucumber, chopped
2 pints cherry tomatoes, quartered (or 2 large tomatoes, diced)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
8 small heads endive

In a large bowl, add the bulghur wheat, lemon zest and juice, oil, cayenne, garlic and salt. Pour the boiling water over the top. Stir and allow it to sit for at least 1 hour.

Wash the endive and cut off the bottoms. Carefully separate the leaves and set aside.

Chop all the herbs, cucumber and tomatoes. Once the wheat has plumped up and absorbed the liquid, toss in the herbs, cumbers and tomatoes. Then salt and pepper to taste.

You can eat the tabouli immediately, but the flavor does develop if you give it a little time to sit.

Scoop into endive leaves and sprinkle each with feta.

Tabbouleh Recipe

54 Responses to “Tabouli with Feta and Endive”

bonnie at sweet life — August 22, 2011 @ 6:10 am

cute post, love your Tabouli!!

happy monday!

Kelly — August 22, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Wow this looks fantastic and your pictures are gorgeous! :)

Candace — August 22, 2011 @ 7:11 am

What a funny story about hiding your food! Cute! Your tabouli looks fantastic. I love it scooped inside the endive. Beautiful!

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 22, 2011 @ 7:23 am

Really great photos and the salad looks exquisite!

valerie — August 22, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Looks delicious:)I love it and my kids won’t eat it either!

Kristi Rimkus — August 22, 2011 @ 7:30 am

I love the idea of making this with quinoa. This is really a refreshing dish and looks like the perfect lunch to me!

Roxana GreenGirl — August 22, 2011 @ 7:47 am

we call this salad tabbouleh. love your endive serving “dishes” what a great idea!

p.s. I used to fed the dog under the table too :))

Sarah — August 22, 2011 @ 8:01 am

My sister had the same hiding tactic, but she did it with peas! We had no family dog to hide the evidence however, so she always got caught. This recipe does not look like something a person would want to hide…tabouli and feta is a winning combination! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica @ How Sweet — August 22, 2011 @ 8:10 am

LOVE this dish! I want to make it today!!

Kate@Diethood.com — August 22, 2011 @ 8:31 am

OH Sommer, Sommer… this looks scrumptious!! LOVE it!! And I really like that you added in some feta…yummers! :)

Curt — August 22, 2011 @ 9:48 am

This looks very tasty. I love feta.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 22, 2011 @ 9:51 am

So pretty! I’ll take some with extra feta please! :)

Ken Scrivner — August 22, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Sommer, I wondered for years why our Springer Spaniel never seemed to be hungry. You little imp!
    Love you, Pops

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — August 22, 2011 @ 9:53 am

What a fun dip idea! It’s not always a bad thing if you’re the only one that likes something. More for me! Have a great school week.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 22, 2011 @ 10:19 am

This looks really great, and what a fun appetizer idea! Love it!

Nana — August 22, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Beautiful! Tabouli never looked this great 25 or 30 years ago when you were a little thing. I love it.

Cookin' Canuck — August 22, 2011 @ 11:37 am

What a gorgeous version of tabouli, Sommer and your pictures so pretty. I loved the story about stashing the tabouli under the leaves of the table. Have you since ‘fessed up to your parents?

carolinaheartstrings — August 22, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I have recently just really begun to love tabouli. I cannot wait to make this recipe. Thanks for sharing it and your story! Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful tomato pie recipe today.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 22, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

For me it’s green pepper and tapioca…still won’t touch them, have no desire to give them another shot. BUT I’m with you on so many things…especially foods from some local ethnic markets that I’ve really enjoyed making. This looks fabulous; can you bring some over? :)

Susan — August 22, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Yum! The photos look absolutely fantastic! I love how scoopable endive is! I think I might have to make this tonight!

Linda — August 22, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Growing up Italian tabouli was not on our table so finding it later in life I immediately loved this healthy dish! I love how you mixed this with the endive and what a great tapas this would be to serve in this manner. As always your photos are just temptingly beautiful!

Georgia Pellegrini — August 22, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I just adore tabouli. My mother made it all the time growing up and I would say it’s my favorite grain. It’s got such a wonderful texture and serves as a base for so many great other flavors.

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — August 22, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

Your tabouli sounds wonderful, especially with zucchini and cayenne pepper…I never add those! The whole dish sounds perfect!

Jeanette — August 22, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

Gorgeous pics Sommer! Perhaps your kids will end up liking tabouli one day as you have!

torviewtoronto — August 22, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

colourful delicious salad

Sara — August 22, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

I was a picky eater as a kid so like you I had those things that I would have never dared eating. But man, this tabouli looks so amazing that I could have never said no :)

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — August 22, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Where do you get endive at? I’m still confused as to what it is, but I’m super curious because I’d love to try this recipe, it looks fantastic!

patty — August 22, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

My kind of fresh healthy tasty salad and I love it on the endive leaves;-)

marla — August 22, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

Love those little endive spears as tabouli holders. No problem with tabour here, have always loved it!

Angie's Recipes — August 23, 2011 @ 1:08 am

Your tabouli looks fantastic! As always, beautiful clicks!

Shelby — August 23, 2011 @ 3:39 am

Looks wonderful! If this keeps for a long time in the fridge then it may be something I should try making. I’ve only had it once and that was well over 20 years ago….however I’m pretty certain if I did make it I would be the only one in the house eating it. Grumpy is really picky about grains!

Dmarie — August 23, 2011 @ 6:48 am

another beautiful dish. thanks, Spicy!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 23, 2011 @ 7:56 am

This looks great

Sandra's Easy Cooking — August 23, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Oh this look so good! I love all the ingredients..Really what’s not to like in this salad!! Very well done!

Sandra's Easy Cooking — August 23, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Carolyn — August 23, 2011 @ 9:35 am

I love taboulleh and love the idea of serving with endive!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — August 23, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Growing up, I never ate taboulleh! I can’t believe it! But, I’m with you, I hated raw tomatoes oh yeah and mushrooms :) Love the pic with the endive leaf and the taboulleh!

Holly Henry — August 23, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

What a beautiful dish! So colorful and bright and obviously scrumptious!

Thanks for sharing !

Holly

Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily — August 23, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

Oh dear. This is just so perfect I’m beside myself. (who says that about taboulleh and veggies?) I love this new version of one of my fav’s. Thanks so much, sincerly!
    I’m sharing this all over the place. ;)

Eliot — August 23, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

I had a hatred for tomatoes when I was young too. Now I can’t get enough. I love this recipe!

kankana — August 23, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

That’s the kind of finger food I would love to make someday. This would be my next weekend treat for sure.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — August 24, 2011 @ 5:06 am

love the way you served this! It looks so good :)

Tiffany — August 24, 2011 @ 7:42 am

What a great idea to pair the tabouli with endive!

Dan — August 24, 2011 @ 7:43 am

That’s an awesome take on a traiditonal tabouli – I like the cheese in there as well.

5 Star Foodie — August 24, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

This tabouli sounds so refreshing and delicious and really fun to serve it in the endve leaves!

Gourmande — August 24, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Perfect Summer meal. That looks so fresh.

Sandi — August 25, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Prepare ahead & take to work idea! Great colors-

Russell at Chasing Delicious — August 28, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

This salad looks so refreshing. I love feta on everything and all the greens and ingredients in this looks scrumptious. Cute anecdote about hiding away your unwanted meals.

Monet — August 28, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

I hated egg yolks too! I’m sure glad you came around with some of your dreaded childhood eats. This salad looks good! Thank you for sharing another delightful and creative recipe. I hope you had a lovely weekend, and I’m hoping you have an even lovelier week. Blessings from this hot state of Texas!

Stevie — August 31, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

This is a really refreshing recipe. It is funny what things that one refused to eat as a kid. For me that was olives–and kind, pickles, and pickled fish, which was popular with my father and his parents. So I guess I didn’t like vinegar?

But now there are thigs that I loved as a kid that I’d never dream of eating today: boiled hot dogs, baloney, large quantities of Hostess and Little Debbie products. Tastes do change.

My parents never served me tabouli growing up. I doubt that they’d have known what it was then. SO I don’t feel your pain, but I get it intellectually.

Discover Endive — September 1, 2011 @ 6:53 am

Hi Sommer,

This looks so refreshing and light. Perfect for the dog days of summer. Even better that those of us with gardens can provide many of the ingredients from our own back yards! And for the produce that we must buy from the store (hint, hint…the endive), there’s always Discover Endive. Our red and white California Endive is grown year round, which means it’s always in season!

Thanks for sharing!

Best,
    Casey
    on behalf of Discover Endive

Drink Your Greens and Minerals! — September 21, 2011 @ 7:14 am

Wow! Terrific site. I’m a new follower! :)

-Fellow SITS’er
    DrinkYourGreensandMinerals.com

Sara R — September 19, 2013 @ 11:21 am

To make it gluten-free you can use quinoa instead of Tabuleh. I personally prefer the quinoa.

1. Pingback: 15 Different, Delicious FETA Recipes | Green Vision