Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Red Pepper Puree

Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Breaking tradition with Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Red Pepper Puree and Coconut Rice.

When you think of Chile Relleno, what comes to mind? Fried. Heavy. Spicy. As someone who avoids frying like the plague, I’d like to dump the first two stereotypes and add the terms Creamy, Succulent and Elegant to the mix.

Most Chile Relleno recipes prepared here in the states, are deep fried masses of oozing cheese. As tempting as that may sound, they often leave you feeling like you got a swift kick in the stomach.

Roasted Poblano Peppers

I’d like to propose that Stuffed Poblano Peppers do not have to be deep fried. (Pause for shock and awe.) Believe it or not, not ALL stuffed peppers prepared in Latin America are deep fried. And even if they were, that doesn’t mean WE have to do it that way, right? RIGHT?

Shrimp Stuffed Peppers

After all, chile relleno simply means “stuffed chile” in Spanish. How it’s stuffed and cooked is up for debate.

Tradition is a guide and not a jailer. ~ William Somerset Maugham

Red Pepper Puree

These Stuffed Poblano Peppers, served with Red Pepper Puree and Coconut Rice, are an elegant alternative to “traditional” chile rellenos. Creamy goat cheese and shrimp snuggle in fire roasted poblano peppers atop tender coconut rice. As if that weren’t enough, a pool of silky red pepper puree gently caresses both the sweetness of the rice and the spicy poblano pepper. Delicioso!

Chile Relleno Fantastic Modern Grace dishes from Villeroy & Boch.

Yield: 4 servings

Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Red Pepper Puree

For the Stuffed Poblano Peppers:
8 large poblano peppers
1 lb. chopped, cooked shrimp (or cooked chorizo, shredded chicken or pork sausage)
5 diced shallots, divided
4 oz. softened goat cheese
¾ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese (or Mexican blend)
2 Tb. chopped cilantro
2 Tb. chopped basil + extra for garnish

For the Red Pepper Puree:
2 whole red peppers
¼ cup+ heavy cream
Pinch of cayenne pepper

For the Coconut Rice:
2 Tb. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups long-grain rice
1- 14 oz. can sweetened coconut milk (OR unsweetened coconut milk + 1 Tb. sugar)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Either on the grill or over a gas burner, roast 8 poblanos and 2 whole red peppers until blackened on all sides. (I like to do this on the grill.)

Place all peppers in a large zip lock bag (or paper bag) seal, and let steam for 15 minutes.

Heat 2 TB. olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add 4 diced shallots and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes until onion becomes translucent and tender.

REMOVE HALF the onions and garlic and place in the blender. Add rice to the remaining onions in the pot and sauté another 2 minutes to toast rice. Add coconut milk, jalapeno, 1 ½ tsp salt, and 1- 14 oz. can full of water. Bring the rice to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 15-17 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered another 5 minutes.

Once the rice is started, GENTLY peel all the peppers. Carefully remove the tops of the poblanos. Mix the shrimp, cheeses, 1 chopped shallot, cilantro, basil, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.

GENTLY stuff each pepper with shrimp mixture and fold the top to close. Lay the peppers on a greased cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes.

While the peppers are baking, add ¼ cup cream, a pinch of cayenne pepper and 2 whole roasted peppers (seeds removed) in the blender. Puree until smooth. Taste and salt as needed—about 1 tsp. *You may need a little extra cream to create desired thickness!

To plate: Pour about ¼ cup of sauce onto a dinner plate. Place a round mound of rice to top of the rice with 2 stuffed peppers.

Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Red Pepper Puree

Other Latin American Favorites:

Chile Verde

Mexican Chile Pops

Chicken Chorizo Hash

Creamy Salsa Verde

More Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipes:

Quinoa Stuffed Poblanos ~ Eat Drink Better

Brisket Stuffed Poblanos ~ Burnin’ Love BBQ

Chicken Stuffed Poblanos ~ The Wicked Noodle

Traditional Chile Rellenos ~ The Paupered Chef

I’d love to hear how YOU break tradition in the kitchen!

50 Responses to “Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Red Pepper Puree”

SMITH BITES — August 15, 2011 @ 5:37 am

Like for realz . . . YUM!!! And I don’t use that word often! Honestly? The deep frying is what has kept me from making chili rellanos at home – I don’t even order them in restaurants . . . But I will be attempting these beauties for sure!

Belinda @zomppa — August 15, 2011 @ 6:17 am

What gorgeous peppers! The colors!

Kelly — August 15, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Oh wow, everything about this dish is amazing!! I love all the flavors and your pictures are fabulous! :)

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 15, 2011 @ 7:09 am

this is a must make for me! Beautiful!

Mari @ Mari's Cakes — August 15, 2011 @ 7:26 am

Great filling and presentation!! Very mouthwatering recipe.

Dawnie — August 15, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Looks delicious!

Sandi — August 15, 2011 @ 8:28 am

Creative post…looks delicious!

Angie's Recipes — August 15, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I am going to make some bell pepper sauce too! Yours looks so tempting!

bonnie at sweet life — August 15, 2011 @ 9:05 am

very true..not all chile rellanos are deep fried. great recipe!!

Fresh and Foodie — August 15, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Yes! Yum, these looks so great. And with coconut rice, too? Double yum! Really nice recipe.

Lacy — August 15, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Wow!! This looks and sounds fantastic! What a great recipe, I definitely have to try this out!

5 Star Foodie — August 15, 2011 @ 10:21 am

A wonderful dish here! I love the stuffing with shrimp and goat cheese, and the red pepper puree and coconut rice are perfect accompaniments.

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — August 15, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Love goat cheese, coconut rice and shrimp. All together? Muy Bueno!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — August 15, 2011 @ 10:46 am

I recently tried Poblano peppers for the first time. I really loved them so much more than bell peppers. I’ve always avoided stuffed bell peppers but may have to give this a try. The coconut rice sounds like a great contribution to these flavors. Thanks! Have a great week Sommer!

Kita — August 15, 2011 @ 10:52 am

These peppers sound awesome. I love a pepper – pretty much any pepper – probably a little too much. These stuffed peppers sound to die for.

Nana — August 15, 2011 @ 10:54 am

I never eat Chile Relleno simply because it is fried and full of fat. This recipie I can do. This looks wonderful Sommer, I’m am going to try it. And coconut rice…..I love. Thanks for sharing this recipie.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 15, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Mmmm, I love stuffed peppers and especially when they have a little bit of a kick to them! Your puree sounds fabulous!

rinku — August 15, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Looks cool! Love the colors of the peppers and nice detailed pictures.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — August 15, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I can not tell a lie…I love fried chili rellenos. I don’t make them myself but they are done so well, not heavy or greasy and so I know I’ll still frequent that restaurant when the urge strikes me.

That being said? I never make them at home because I don’t do deep frying here…and these look and sound scrumptious. The addition of goat cheese? Well, as someone who just did a month long roundup of goat dishes including cheese…you can imagine that got my attention. I LOVE goat cheese; can’t wait to prepare these!

Russell at Chasing Delicious — August 15, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

I love chile relleno! This recipe looks extra scrumptious. I’ve never tried it with shrimp. I am going to have to changed that. Yum! Great presentation too.

Linda — August 15, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

The presentation of this dish is gorgeous, the red pool of sauce, white rice and green chili. I love that this is not fried and you did a great remake of this dish!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — August 15, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

I have got to make this!! I’ve been wanting to make stuffe poblanos for a while now!

Lauren — August 15, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

I could drink a whole bowl of that red pepper puree! YUM.

Debi Shawcross — August 15, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Way better than the fried version, and I love the sweetness of the coconut rice with the spicy peppers.
    Great dish to prepare ahead and pop into the oven!

Dmarie — August 15, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

looks great…I don’t have any poblanos on hand, but I think that red pepper puree would be great on anything. hmnnn…! thx, Spicy!

torviewtoronto — August 15, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

lovely combination with the coconut rice love it

Vanderbilt Wife — August 15, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

That combination of shrimp and goat cheese sounds fantastic. I bet it would make an awesome enchilada, too!

Kate@Diethood.com — August 15, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

This looks amazing! Love the idea of stuffing them with shrimp…I’ve never seen that. :)

Shelby — August 16, 2011 @ 4:07 am

These sound so yummy (look too!) I am a big chile fan and can’t wait to try this recipe!

Parsley Sage — August 16, 2011 @ 5:34 am

I’m loving the stuffing. These look outstanding! Well done ditching the deep fried stereotype :) Buzzed!

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour — August 16, 2011 @ 6:29 am

This looks like a much lighter, much healthier, and much more delicious version of stuffed poblano peppers than I’ve ever seen before! Great job, Sommer!

marla — August 16, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I have never made poblano peppers. Plain or stuffed. Obviously I should – these look great!

Betsy — August 16, 2011 @ 7:27 am

Yum! This is right up my alley! Spice, Shrimp, Goat cheese…all things I love! I’ll definitely try this out

Deb — August 16, 2011 @ 8:01 am

One of husbands favorites is chile rellenos. Not sure he’d give them up but these stuffed poblanos are enticing. The fragrant coconut rice compliments the goat cheese stuffing, just scrumptious!

Magic of Spice — August 16, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Poblano peppers are a favorite and they are gorgeously stuffed! Beautiful flavors all around and love this puree!

Roxana GreenGirl — August 16, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I just had lunch and your stuffed peppers make my hungry. Love love love the shrimp filling!
    Beautiful photos as usual, Sommer!

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — August 16, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Seriously a unique recipe. I’ve also been looking for a good coconut rice recipe, I’ll have to try yours.

amykbh — August 16, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Yum…looks great. I made stuffed poblanos last year and my HANDS WERE ON FIRE! I was carefuly to not touch my eyes, but still my hands were stinging like mad. What do you recommend to prevent that?

• Sommer — August 16th, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Hi Amy,

Poblanos are tricky because sometimes they are very mild and other times they are HOT! After you’ve cut the tops off, always smell them so you know what you’re dealing with. If they are spicy, you can put on rubber gloves before peeling them, or try rubbing your hands with veg. oil before touching the peppers. The oil offers a protective layer and allows the pepper juices to wash off easily.

patty — August 16, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Gorgeous plate of food! I love the look of the green Poblano peppers on that pool of red pepper puree, and the stuffing!!!!

Candace — August 17, 2011 @ 5:01 am

I absolutely must make this. I love everything about it especially that you didn’t fry it. I’m pinning it to try this week. It looks fantastic!

Celia — August 17, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Great recipe! I love cheesy chiles too, but can’t handle them that often. Great way to lighten them up and make them a real main course.

blackbookkitchendiaries — August 17, 2011 @ 11:40 am

i love how you plated this dish. simply beautiful and so elegant. love the flavors in here… yum!

Sanjeeta kk — August 18, 2011 @ 2:45 am

This is a wonderful dish, Sommer! Love the red pepper puree..what lovely color and combo you ave used in the recipe. Awesome.

Jess@BringYour Appetite — August 18, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Shrimp-stuffed poblano peppers? Red pepper puree? Coconut rice? This sounds fantastic. I love that it’s a twist on a Mexican (?) classic, with just a tease of Thai thrown in there. I’ll definitely have to give this one a try.

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — August 25, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

OK! I live in San Diego, and I can HONESTLY say, I’ve never seen a stuffed pepper as good as yours. And your photos are absolutely stunning. The colors, the favors, the texture, OH MY!!!

Stevie — August 31, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Stufgfed poblanos are one of my favorites. They’re the best pepper to stuf fin my opinion: sort of smoky, spicy and sweet, all rolled into one marvelous package. I have made them before without frying them Mine tend to fall apart. You look like you’ve mastered keeping them in shape.

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — September 18, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Gorgeous dish and it has my stomach growling!

1. Pingback: Chicken Stuffed Poblano Chilies with Mushrooms and Tomatoes - Sass & Veracity — Sass & Veracity

2. Pingback: Pan Seared Duck Breast with Savory Blackberry Sauce | A Spicy Perspective