Sargento Natural Cheese and Blueberry Pizza

Blueberry Pizza Appetizer

Choosing quality cheese and Savory Blueberry Ricotta Pizza.

Don’t you just love getting a package in the mail? Last week I got a box of Sargento cheese to sample. I can never, EVER pass up cheese.

Sargento was so confident in the quality of their cheese, they sent their natural cheese slices as well as processed “American” cheese slices to compare the two.

Sargento Cheese Slices

As any cheese lover knows, there is no comparison in real cheese and “cheese product”. Sargento cheeses are made with just a few natural ingredients and are aged to enhance the flavor. They slice each block and package immediately to insure freshness. Plus, Sargento IS American cheese! All their cheeses are made fresh in Wisconsin, the Cheese State. Processed cheese is loaded with scientific sounding ingredients and nearly double the sodium. It’s squeezed into the wrapper in liquid form and flattened into slices.

My personal belief is that cheese isn’t supposed to be glossy. If it looks like rubber and bends like rubber, it’s not real cheese.

We opened the box for everyone to taste-test the cheeses and it was immediately clear the Sargento cheddar cheese was the favorite. The cheddar slices are thin and dense with a nutty aroma. They bend just a bit  before breaking. That my friends, is how “American” cheese should look, feel and smell. The flavor was sharp and well balanced, not overly salty.

Sargento Cheese

We snacked on the cheese with fruit and crackers, but could not help thinking how useful the cheese slices are at mealtime. Sargento slices are perfect for back-to-school lunch boxes, grilled cheese sandwiches, and layering in lasagna.

We decided to try something new and tear them into smaller pieces for a savory Blueberry Pizza appetizer.

With an abundance of blueberries this year, we’ve made jams, pies, crisps, and an array of other desserts. But who says blueberries have to be in sweet dishes? Their deep, yet perky, flavor makes them a wonderful addition to salads and savory appetizers.

Blueberry Ricotta Pizza

Fruit and briny cheese go hand-in-hand, so to me, blueberry pizza makes perfect sense.

This simple and elegant Blueberry Ricotta Pizza is a quick appetizer or party snack. The combination of fresh basil and blueberries with the Sargento sharp white cheddar and creamy ricotta, are well balanced by a touch of spicy crushed red pepper and a scant drizzle of honey. This blueberry appetizer is fantastic straight out of the oven or at room temperature. Plus, it leaves extra Sargento cheese slices to munch on while you’re preparing it. *SMILE*

To Prepare Blueberry Ricotta Pizza:

Use a fork to prick holes over the surface, leaving the edges untouched. Arrange the basil leaves over the dough. Then break the cheese slices into bite-size pieces and layer them on the dough.

Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 8 triangles. Next dollop the ricotta over the dough followed by a sprinkling of blueberries. Sprinkle the pizza with crushed red pepper and salt. Bake for approximately 20 minutes—until the edges are golden.

Drizzle with honey and enjoy!

Blueberry Pizza

Yield: 8 servings

Savory Blueberry Ricotta Pizza

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
12-15 fresh basil leaves
2 slices Sargento Vermont Sharp White Cheddar
¼ cup Sargento Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
¼ cup fresh blueberries
Pinch of crushed red pepper
Pinch of Salt
2 tsp. honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Unfold the puff pastry and lay it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Remove from the oven and drizzle with a little honey. Pull apart and serve warm.

(This is a sponsored post, but I only write about products that I use and enjoy.)

62 Responses to “Sargento Natural Cheese and Blueberry Pizza”

Nisrine M. — August 11, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Simple to make but totally amazing pizza. I can do this!

My Kitchen in the Rockies — August 11, 2011 @ 7:35 am

That is a yummy appetizer idea! I still have lots of blueberries in the fridge, too. Simple, but elegant. Love it!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 11, 2011 @ 7:46 am

What a delicious idea! I like Sargento cheese, too. Always reach for them first at the grocery.

Alison — August 11, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Love it! I used to make a dessert version of Blueberry pizza but this time of year, I’d rather have something savory than overly sweet. Great use of seasonal ingredients and easy to make.

Marly — August 11, 2011 @ 8:07 am

What an intriguing recipe. The basil makes me think savory. The blueberries and agave nectar make me think dessert. I can’t wait to give it a try and decide for myself!

The peppery nature of the basil would definitely highlight the cheese and give the blueberries a bit of a punch. This is a very unique and fantastic looking recipe. Congrats on receiving the cheese and on such a good review of it.

Katarina — August 11, 2011 @ 8:24 am

What a great pizza!

Curt — August 11, 2011 @ 8:38 am

What an awesome combination of ingredients and flavors. I like the pull apart affect.

Aggie — August 11, 2011 @ 8:53 am

This looks amazing! what a unique recipe!

jenna — August 11, 2011 @ 9:05 am

this looks amazing. i would have never thought to mix blueberries and pizza. stunning and simple ingredients.

Devaki@weavethousandflavors — August 11, 2011 @ 9:12 am

This is INCREDIBLE! I love the flavors and ease of preparation. So summer :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips — August 11, 2011 @ 9:59 am

What a great idea! I live off of cheese and crackers in the summer. This pizza is just a perfect accompaniment!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — August 11, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Very creative and beautiful. I love cheese too – and pizza – and blueberries. This pizza and I were MFEO (made for each other)!

RavieNomNoms — August 11, 2011 @ 11:05 am

This is SO awesome! I am so impressed with your creativity. Wow, I bet this is just amazing. I love trying new things like this.

Linda — August 11, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

This is one of the best pizzas I ever saw!! From your choice of ingredients to your creative cutting of the pizza! Great recipe Sommer!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 11, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Yum! What a fun idea! I love this–it looks so good!

Liz — August 11, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

This looks fabulous! So lovely and creative~

Kate@Diethood.com — August 11, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

Oh if you could just see me now….I am doing a happy dance because I loooooove this pizza! I am about to lick my screen…noone is watching!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 11, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Look at all that wonderful WI Cheese (WI girl here)! This pizza is so creative! What a great idea to pair ricotta and blueberries this way!

Peggy — August 11, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Oh yummy! Great idea with this pizza – I’ve still got tons of blueberries and all I need now is some cheese =)

Carolyn — August 11, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

From the title, I thought this might be a sweet dessert pizza. But it’s savoury! Love it.

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 11, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

I am a cheeseaholic! This looks delicious as does the array of cheese you were lucky to get!

Shelby — August 11, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

I am such a blueberry fan. I would love this pizza!

marla — August 11, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

Sommer, I love everything about this pizza. The sweetness of the blueberries with the salty cheese is a great combo. The basil is a fun twist too.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — August 11, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

This looks amazing! Seriously, what an amazing pizza. and those cheese and crackers look so good too :)

San Diego Mobile Notary — August 11, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

What a yummy appetizer idea!

Parsley Sage — August 11, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Ohmigoodness! This is an incredible pizza! The blueberries with that lovely freebie cheese sounds heavenly :) Buzzed!

Angie's Recipes — August 11, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

The pastry based pizza with blueberries…that looks heavenly!

Ann — August 11, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

FABULOUS pizza! I love the “glossy and rubbery” comment! …and I totally agree!

Tres Delicious — August 12, 2011 @ 2:45 am

Great! so elegantly indulging. I’d like to prepare one this weekend.

Sweet Woman — August 12, 2011 @ 4:25 am

Your posts are always so beautiful and inviting..thank you for your wonderful posts!

5 Star Foodie — August 12, 2011 @ 5:21 am

A savory blueberry pizza on a puff pastry sounds just wonderful, a delicious creation!

SMITH BITES — August 12, 2011 @ 7:05 am

so fabulous, yet elegant enough to serve at a cocktail party . . . or for dinner w/a nice salad – perfecto!!

bonnie at sweet life — August 12, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Sommer, love the flavor combo..and who doesn’t love cheese ? great recipe, thanks for sharing!! have a great weekend!!

Steve @ HPD — August 12, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

There’s American cheese, and then there’s American cheese. One is any cheese made in America, but the other is that vile substance that only resembles real cheese when viewed from the same distance used to describe the Hubble, that stuff you get on a drive-thru hamburger.

It’s time we reclaimed the name American cheese and picked something worthy.

Big fan of Sargento’s, by the way.

Hyosun Ro — August 12, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

First time seeing blueberries on pizza, but what a nice idea!

Kelly — August 12, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

Yummy! What a gorgeous pizza!! :)

Quay Po Cooks — August 13, 2011 @ 8:37 am

I like the square shape of this pizza and also the ingredients you used. I have not tried blueberries in pizza. Interesting!

Baking Serendipity — August 13, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

I love this! You are right, there is nothing better than getting fun mail and good cheese. Sargento is one of my grocery store splurges :) Delicious pizza and awesomely creative use for blueberries!

elle marie — August 13, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Exactly! The creative use to fuse blueberries with cheese, genius!

Dmarie — August 14, 2011 @ 6:33 am

love, LOVE it that you’re broadening my horizons, Spicy!

Monet — August 14, 2011 @ 8:41 am

What a lovely package to receive in the mail…and what an inventive way to utilize cheese. I love the thought of this savory/sweet pizza. Thank you for this lovely post. I’m enjoying it with a strong cup of coffee and bagels rising on the counter. I hope you have a blissful Sunday and an even more wonderful week.

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — August 14, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

I have never thought about topping a pizza with blueberries before! What a creative and awesome pairing!

Magic of Spice — August 16, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I just love it when fruit meets up with savory….fantastic idea for a pizza :)

Good Girl Gone Green — August 16, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Genius idea….blueberries on a pizza! I am so going to try this! :)

Tiffany — August 16, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

What a magical pizza!

egb — August 16, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

I am totally intrigued by this recipe. I love the combo of flavors and the choice to make a pizza out of them!

Kristi Rimkus — August 20, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

What a fantastic idea. I agree with Tiffany – truly magical!

Abby — May 23, 2012 @ 6:28 am

I can’t wait to try this pizza! Blown away by this recipe. (we love Sargento too, they do make great cheese)

Kim — May 27, 2012 @ 8:50 am

Came across this recipe via Pinterest. I tried my hand at it yesterday and loved it! I added a little garlic (because I love garlic) and I didn’t have the exact cheese but it came out great regardless! Thanks for sharing!!!

meatballs & milkshakes — March 15, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

I love the fruit/cheese combo!

Cecila Heider — April 19, 2013 @ 9:56 am

One sure fire way to find appetizers that will get the job doneis to use copycat restaurant recipes. These recipes have beendeveloped by skilled chefs that mimic some of the best entrees,appetizers and desserts from America’s most popular restaurants.-

Most up to date short article from our personal blog site

Ella — September 29, 2014 @ 11:55 pm

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily
    basis. It’s always helpful to read content from other authors and use a
    little something from their websites.

1. Pingback: Bookworm Food | Sweet Little Nest

2. Pingback: Savory Blueberry Pizza « Second Saturday Adventures

3. Pingback: 74 Ways to Make A Healthier Pizza | Greatist

4. Pingback: 56 Healthy Blueberry Recipes to Try This Weekend - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog

5. Pingback: 74 Ways to Make a Healthier Pizza | D'Amore's Pizza

6. Pingback: Blackberries Three Ways: a main course

7. Pingback: Last Minute Memorial Day Recipes | A Spicy Perspective

8. Pingback: Blackberry + Ricotta Flat Bread

9. Pingback: 27 Glorious Blueberry Recipes For Summer | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips