Bribe-the-Teacher Brownies

Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies

AKA Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies.

The kids went back to school this Tuesday. With a sigh of relief and a sniff of remorse, I watched them walk timidly into their classrooms.

My daughter is in third grade and my little guy is in first grade this year. Thus far we’ve had wonderful teachers, but I have to admit, it’s nerve-racking placing my “legacy” in the care of someone else for nine months of the year.

Will the teachers create a safe haven for them everyday, free of shame, ridicule, and fear?

Will they make their lessons come alive and encourage their love for learning?

Will they be patient with them when they struggle with a concept?

Will they be an advocate against bullies on the playground?

Will they provide discipline, yet celebrate creativity?

If an “accident” occurs, will the teacher offer the Emergency Pants without a smirk?

When they are naughty, will the teachers correct them firmly, yet with tenderness?

Will they appreciate their weird sense(s) of humor?

Coconut Brownies

…I think yes. I have a really good feeling about this year.

But just to be sure, I secretly plan to bribe those teachers. No mother is above bribing people on behalf of her babies.

Trust me, if anything could do it, it’s these Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies. Rich, dense and fudgy brownies with a creamy dulce de leche caramel top and crispy coconut, toasted almonds, and chocolate chunks.

Those teachers will be putty in my hands. *wink*

Caramel Brownies

You can find dulce de leche (thick creamy caramel) in the packaged milk section of the baking aisle, or sometimes in the “international” section. If you can’t find it, it’s easy to make using sweetened condensed milk. Simply remove the paper wrappers, submerge the cans in a large pot of water and simmer for 4 hours. It MUST stay under water the entire time; add water if needed. This takes a while, so boil several at once and place them in the pantry for future baking endeavors.

Yield: 12-24 brownies

Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tb. vanilla extract
4 eggs
12 oz. bag dark chocolate chunks, divided
2 – 14 oz. cans dulce de leche (Nestle)
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Set the oven racks in the center and upper positions. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave, then add the sugar and mix well.

Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Then whisk in one egg at a time, until well combined.

Measure out ½ cup chocolate chunks and reserve for later. Mix in the rest of the chocolate chunks and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Bake on the center rack for approximately 20-25 minutes—until the center is set. Take the brownies out of the oven and reset the temperature to 400 degrees F.

GENTLY spread the dulce de leche evenly over the top, being careful not to disturb the brownie crust. Sprinkle the coconut, almonds and remaining chocolate chunks over the top and press a little.

Place on the top rack of the oven to toast the coconut and almonds for 2-5 minutes—Watch it so the coconut doesn’t burn.

Cool completely, so the caramel sets. Cut and serve.

89 Responses to “Bribe-the-Teacher Brownies”

Dan Collier — August 18, 2011 @ 6:48 am

YUM!

Lacy — August 18, 2011 @ 7:21 am

I’m sure those teachers will do anything you want now! These brownies look fantastic!!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 18, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Beautiful children you have Sommer! And the brownies are absolute bliss, you should have no trouble bribing those teachers!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family — August 18, 2011 @ 7:50 am

WOW! Sommer I wish I was your childrens teacher. I would kill for these (well not literally).

I hope you daughter and son have a wonderful school year.

Dawnie — August 18, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Yummy! I want one.

Sanjeeta kk — August 18, 2011 @ 8:28 am

Hmm…this post came a bit late..else would have bribed the teachers of my kids as well :) I like the line “placing my “legacy” in the care of someone else for nine months of the year’! Love the indulging brownies.

claudia lamascolo — August 18, 2011 @ 8:32 am

thats adorable!

Tina@flourtrader — August 18, 2011 @ 8:45 am

Whoa, lucky teachers-I would gladly take this kind of bribe. Decadent, rich and utterly indulgent. That gets my vote-yum!

My Kitchen in the Rockies — August 18, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Hi Sommer, I also try to bribe the teachers with home baked goodies. Will be a little harder with my freshman, since parents are not that involved anymore (sadly).
    Your kids are so cute! Who wouldn’t want them bringing in these delicious looking brownies? Great pictures!
    Hugs from Colorado, Kirsten.

torviewtoronto — August 18, 2011 @ 8:47 am

lovely post delicious looking brownies

Curt — August 18, 2011 @ 8:51 am

I love the coconut and almonds on the top.

Lana @ Never enough Thyme — August 18, 2011 @ 8:52 am

What a brownie! A lovely special treat for your little ones’ teachers. I know how hard it is to place them in the hands of someone else for the whole long day. And how good it feels to wrap your arms around them again when they come home.

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox — August 18, 2011 @ 8:59 am

I’m sure with your gorgeous sweet babies those teachers won’t need bribing. But if they did, those brownies would definitely fit the bill. And thanks for the dulche de leche tip. I’m stealing that idea.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 18, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Gorgeous pictures and those brownies are sure to win their teacher’s hearts!

Michelle — August 18, 2011 @ 10:20 am

These look so deliciously gooey! I wish people would bring stuff in like this to win over the accountant (read: me!).

The Elegant Eggplant — August 18, 2011 @ 10:21 am

WOW, these have all of my favorite things inside!!! I will be making these tonight!!

Carolyn — August 18, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Yeah, you could pretty much bribe me to do anything for some of those!

Kate@Diethood.com — August 18, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Holy yummmmmmers! Bribe me, go ahead, I’ll do anything for your brownies… Oh I am so ready to swap brownies with you!!

Nelly Rodriguez — August 18, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Gorgeous and I wish I had a dozen right now! Yum!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — August 18, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

You could bribe me with those any day! Delish!

Angie's Recipes — August 18, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Delectable! You have me at coconut brownies!

claire — August 18, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

These are gorgeous, what amazing pictures! Plus, who could resist a brownie with that name? I’m not even a teacher and I’m sold!

Katrina — August 18, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Mmm, those look great. I’ve made brownies with caramel and pecan and some with coconut/almonds but never combined the two and it sounds great!

Lnda — August 18, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

oh my goodness! I’m over the school days, but I think I know a few people I can bribe with these!!

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — August 18, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

These look incredible!! I feel the need to rush into the kitchen and whip up a batch of these right now! Yummy! :)

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — August 18, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Holy moly these look dangerously good!I think these would successfully bribe a top judge let alone a teacher! Great recipe :)

Alicia — August 18, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Yum!! That looks delicious! haha I hope they ‘sweeten’ the school year.

Liz — August 18, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

Oh, the teachers must love you!!! What a sweet and yummy gesture. And your children are adorable :)

Kathleen — August 18, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

I wish I was a teacher! I am sooo making these!

Jody — August 18, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

These look so delicious-can’t wait to try them! Glad we have different teachers than ya’ll, though I don’t think anyone would mind having a double portion of these!

Meg's Everyday Indulgence — August 18, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

This combines some of my favorite things! They sound soo delish!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — August 18, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Bribe the teacher indeed! These look scrumptious!

Emily @ Life on Food — August 18, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

I think you could bribe just about anyone with these brownies. They look delicious. I am drooling!

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 18, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Very cute kids and post!

Kita — August 18, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Forget the kids, forget the teacher, I want these!

Marian @ The Clock-Racing Gourmet — August 18, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Love this – I always have coconut on hand and this looks like a very yummy way to use it!

Rachel (teacher-chef) — August 18, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

How about you switch schools & I can teach your kids. Beautiful pictures, and I am sure that your kids’ teachers will have their back and they will have a great year – wonderful parents like you help your kids to succeed!!

Tres Delicious — August 18, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

Ha ha.. I’m gonna prepare this wonderful stuff for my kid’s teacher and pals. Nice kids you’ve got in the photo.

Angela FRS — August 18, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I’m a teacher, and this would TOTALLY work for me–especially with the sweet note…

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 18, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Why didn’t I think to bribe the teacher! My son is in 1st grade this year, he just started Wed. So exciting, yes so sad all at the same time!

marla — August 18, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

These are the ultimate bribe for teachers, but feel free to bribe me with them too :) Your kids are adorable!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — August 18, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

Oh, heck with bribing the teachers (though that’s a wonderful idea I will definitely keep in mind hehe). I want someone to make these for ME! Sigh… I forgot… I’m the only one in the house that cooks. SO I’ll make these for me and not share :-D

Parsley Sage — August 19, 2011 @ 6:27 am

Sneaky! I love it :) It will totally work too. These brownies sound incredible! Buzzed

By the way…I also have emergency pants :)

brandi — August 19, 2011 @ 7:52 am

wowza – these look incredible! and i’ve heard of making dulce de leche like that, but have never tried it.

bonnie at sweet life — August 19, 2011 @ 8:10 am

sweet sweet putty in your hands, lol

who could resist?

Cookin' Canuck — August 19, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Your kids (who are adorable, by the way) have the luckiest teachers in the world! I would be easily bribed by these gorgeous brownies. All of those same fears run through my head, too. Our children are so precious and it takes a leap of faith to put them in their teachers’ hands.

Dmarie — August 19, 2011 @ 9:37 am

oh, wow, what a scrumptious looking brownie! thanks, Spicy!

• Dmarie — August 19th, 2011 @ 9:40 am

almost forgot…thanks for sharing the pic of your legacy–they look too cute in their uniforms, just adorable!!

Georgia Pellegrini — August 19, 2011 @ 10:08 am

These look so delicious. You could bribe anyone with them!

Sandi — August 19, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Your pictures just POP! Great recipe too :)

And…saw your blog recommended in cyber world by a couple other bloggers this week, just thought you’d want to know. Keep up the great work!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — August 19, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Your children are beautiful! They look so happy – I remember the days :) Just found out I’m going to be a grandmother! My 23 year old daughter is expecting her first – so here it goes again! Back to the beginning with toys, preschool, school events and sports – can’t wait! I’ll have to remember these to bribe teachers and coaches when the time is right. Hope they have a blessed school year and fantastic teachers.

Brooke — August 19, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Those look wonderful! Since I homeschool I’m wondering if I leave the recipe on the counter maybe my kids would bribe me! ;)

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! — August 19, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Bribe the teacher? Oh, you’re too funny. But looking at those gorgeous brownies, I think it just may work!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — August 19, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Oh wow! I’m sure they taste even better than they look and they look absolutely fantastic!!!!

The Culinary Lens — August 19, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

What a buzzworthy post. I think the brownies will go over very well. Aside from the recipe I love the sentiment behind the post

cooking varieties(wan maznah) — August 19, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

wow ! how not toe be special- coconut, cocoa, chocolate and almonds. it sure can bribe me too :) a must try- the image looks so gourmet. of gourmet standard. congrats. have a great weekend from me, wan of malaysia. do visit my blog too, would love to read a comment from you also,.

Elies_Lie — August 19, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

Good looking brownie & great story u share… haha ha!
    Tq for sharing the recipe with us! ;)

Peggy — August 20, 2011 @ 4:59 am

Umm yeah, I’d say that these should do the trick! How could you even let them out of the house though lol They definitely look incredibly delicious =)

JP Better — August 20, 2011 @ 6:34 am

Oh my, what a delightful recipe, they look yummy, I wish I was your childrens teacher! I will be making these tomorrow. I love the way you write your articles very refreshing and warm.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 20, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I think these brownies will do the trick!
    PS: Your kids are darling!

Esther — August 20, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I’m salivating here.
    You could probably win ANYONE over with those. me included.

Sukaina — August 20, 2011 @ 9:52 am

I’m so glad I’ve come across your website. Some true gems like these brownies here. My 2 1/2 year old starts nursery in September and although currently, I CANNOT WAIT, I’m sure I’ll be remorseful come time!

Ally — August 20, 2011 @ 11:17 am

If these don’t work I’m not sure WHAT will! xo

Nicole @ Bake Me Blush — August 20, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Aww, that “I luv you teacher” bit made me smile. Those brownies look soooo heavenly… sigh… Thanks for sharing!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — August 20, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Wow, those have all of my favorite elements. They look FANTASTIC! I thought I had a favorite brownie recipe, but it may be in jeopardy….

Kim Bee — August 20, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

These look so yummy. Great name, just loving this post. Congrats on top 9.

Nikki @ Resistant Nikki — August 20, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

I am a teacher! If I received these brownies I would consider myself effectively bribed! They look amazing. :)

5 Star Foodie — August 21, 2011 @ 1:20 am

These brownies sounds amazing, loving the topping with dulce de leche. Your kids are adorable!

Monet — August 21, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Such precious children! Their teachers will love them (and as a former teacher…those brownies will do wonders!) Thank you for sharing with me, my friend. I hope you are having a lovely and relaxing Sunday afternoon. I’m about to bake some blueberry and cream cookies. Much love and many blessings from Austin!

Baking Serendipity — August 21, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

The layers in these sound amazing! As a teacher (of high schoolers, many of whom have parents no longer interested in being involved in their education), I can tell you these would definitely be appreciated :)

Joanne — August 21, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

I am totally pro bribing people with baked goods…it’s just the right thing to do! You could totally win me over with these…too bad I’m not a teacher!

Apron Appeal — August 21, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

I plan on bribing teachers this year too….It’s hard though because we’re not “allowed” to bring in store bought treats. I’m definitely not bribing anyone with something bought from the store so I’m going to take my chances and make something anyway, it’s a gamble, but I think it will work out in my kid’s favor. :)

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff — August 23, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

I’m a teacher. They would work on me.

Awesome tip about the homemade dulce de leche!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — August 24, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I LOVE the title of this post and such a great idea to bribe the teachers tho your kids are sooooo cute it probably isn’t necessary :) I hope the year is a great one for them and that their teachers prove worthy of these brownies and your faith in them.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — August 25, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

You are going to be the death of me Sommer! Those look positively sinful. I definitely want to try making my own dulce de leche…that is an awesome trick!!!

Eileen — August 25, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

If those brownies don’t do the trick I don’t know what would! Your kids are so cute Sommer. I love their blue shirts in the pics.

Michelle — August 28, 2011 @ 12:54 am

Thanks Sommer!!! Can’t wait to make these and bribe the teacher & the rest of the staff ;) :)

Souristine — September 11, 2011 @ 6:58 am

Thank you Sommer for this amazing recipe.
    I translated it in French – and converted to metric system – for my own blog (with a link to yours, of course!)

Dulce de leche is probably easier to find in France than in the US (we call it “confiture de lait”) ; yet I love all the “do-it-yourself” stuff, so I used your tip : just parfect!

Again, thank you!

• Souristine — September 12th, 2011 @ 5:20 am

Oops, I meant “perfect”.

Hope your cute kids are doing well at school!

Jenni (Traveler for Good) — September 17, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Amazing! I was feeling a little lazy so used packaged brownie mix as the base but they were a big hit last night at dinner with friends. Posted a picture of my finished product on my blog with a link to yours.

Cheers!

Ellen — September 21, 2011 @ 8:16 am

A prego woman really shouldn’t be looking at this site… I now want to eat everything on here!! These brownies look amazing. Will be coming back to check out more recipes!

Christine — October 6, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I made these last week and they were so amazing! I’m going to have a write-up on my blog about them this weekend, but basically they turned out perfect. The blend of flavors was amazing and the coconut wasn’t overpowering.

1. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 8/20/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker