Bribe-the-Teacher Brownies

Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies

AKA Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies.

The kids went back to school this Tuesday. With a sigh of relief and a sniff of remorse, I watched them walk timidly into their classrooms.

My daughter is in third grade and my little guy is in first grade this year. Thus far we’ve had wonderful teachers, but I have to admit, it’s nerve-racking placing my “legacy” in the care of someone else for nine months of the year.

Will the teachers create a safe haven for them everyday, free of shame, ridicule, and fear?

Will they make their lessons come alive and encourage their love for learning?

Will they be patient with them when they struggle with a concept?

Will they be an advocate against bullies on the playground?

Will they provide discipline, yet celebrate creativity?

If an “accident” occurs, will the teacher offer the Emergency Pants without a smirk?

When they are naughty, will the teachers correct them firmly, yet with tenderness?

Will they appreciate their weird sense(s) of humor?

Coconut Brownies

…I think yes. I have a really good feeling about this year.

But just to be sure, I secretly plan to bribe those teachers. No mother is above bribing people on behalf of her babies.

Trust me, if anything could do it, it’s these Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies. Rich, dense and fudgy brownies with a creamy dulce de leche caramel top and crispy coconut, toasted almonds, and chocolate chunks.

Those teachers will be putty in my hands. *wink*

Caramel Brownies

You can find dulce de leche (thick creamy caramel) in the packaged milk section of the baking aisle, or sometimes in the “international” section. If you can’t find it, it’s easy to make using sweetened condensed milk. Simply remove the paper wrappers, submerge the cans in a large pot of water and simmer for 4 hours. It MUST stay under water the entire time; add water if needed. This takes a while, so boil several at once and place them in the pantry for future baking endeavors.

Yield: 12-24 brownies

Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tb. vanilla extract
4 eggs
12 oz. bag dark chocolate chunks, divided
2 – 14 oz. cans dulce de leche (Nestle)
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Set the oven racks in the center and upper positions. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave, then add the sugar and mix well.

Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Then whisk in one egg at a time, until well combined.

Measure out ½ cup chocolate chunks and reserve for later. Mix in the rest of the chocolate chunks and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Bake on the center rack for approximately 20-25 minutes—until the center is set. Take the brownies out of the oven and reset the temperature to 400 degrees F.

GENTLY spread the dulce de leche evenly over the top, being careful not to disturb the brownie crust. Sprinkle the coconut, almonds and remaining chocolate chunks over the top and press a little.

Place on the top rack of the oven to toast the coconut and almonds for 2-5 minutes—Watch it so the coconut doesn’t burn.

Cool completely, so the caramel sets. Cut and serve.

89 Responses to “Bribe-the-Teacher Brownies”

Brooke — August 19, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Those look wonderful! Since I homeschool I’m wondering if I leave the recipe on the counter maybe my kids would bribe me! ;)

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! — August 19, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Bribe the teacher? Oh, you’re too funny. But looking at those gorgeous brownies, I think it just may work!

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — August 19, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Oh wow! I’m sure they taste even better than they look and they look absolutely fantastic!!!!

The Culinary Lens — August 19, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

What a buzzworthy post. I think the brownies will go over very well. Aside from the recipe I love the sentiment behind the post

cooking varieties(wan maznah) — August 19, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

wow ! how not toe be special- coconut, cocoa, chocolate and almonds. it sure can bribe me too :) a must try- the image looks so gourmet. of gourmet standard. congrats. have a great weekend from me, wan of malaysia. do visit my blog too, would love to read a comment from you also,.

Elies_Lie — August 19, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

Good looking brownie & great story u share… haha ha!
    Tq for sharing the recipe with us! ;)

Peggy — August 20, 2011 @ 4:59 am

Umm yeah, I’d say that these should do the trick! How could you even let them out of the house though lol They definitely look incredibly delicious =)

JP Better — August 20, 2011 @ 6:34 am

Oh my, what a delightful recipe, they look yummy, I wish I was your childrens teacher! I will be making these tomorrow. I love the way you write your articles very refreshing and warm.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 20, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I think these brownies will do the trick!
    PS: Your kids are darling!

Esther — August 20, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I’m salivating here.
    You could probably win ANYONE over with those. me included.

Sukaina — August 20, 2011 @ 9:52 am

I’m so glad I’ve come across your website. Some true gems like these brownies here. My 2 1/2 year old starts nursery in September and although currently, I CANNOT WAIT, I’m sure I’ll be remorseful come time!

Ally — August 20, 2011 @ 11:17 am

If these don’t work I’m not sure WHAT will! xo

Nicole @ Bake Me Blush — August 20, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Aww, that “I luv you teacher” bit made me smile. Those brownies look soooo heavenly… sigh… Thanks for sharing!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — August 20, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Wow, those have all of my favorite elements. They look FANTASTIC! I thought I had a favorite brownie recipe, but it may be in jeopardy….

Kim Bee — August 20, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

These look so yummy. Great name, just loving this post. Congrats on top 9.

Nikki @ Resistant Nikki — August 20, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

I am a teacher! If I received these brownies I would consider myself effectively bribed! They look amazing. :)

5 Star Foodie — August 21, 2011 @ 1:20 am

These brownies sounds amazing, loving the topping with dulce de leche. Your kids are adorable!

Monet — August 21, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Such precious children! Their teachers will love them (and as a former teacher…those brownies will do wonders!) Thank you for sharing with me, my friend. I hope you are having a lovely and relaxing Sunday afternoon. I’m about to bake some blueberry and cream cookies. Much love and many blessings from Austin!

Baking Serendipity — August 21, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

The layers in these sound amazing! As a teacher (of high schoolers, many of whom have parents no longer interested in being involved in their education), I can tell you these would definitely be appreciated :)

Joanne — August 21, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

I am totally pro bribing people with baked goods…it’s just the right thing to do! You could totally win me over with these…too bad I’m not a teacher!

Apron Appeal — August 21, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

I plan on bribing teachers this year too….It’s hard though because we’re not “allowed” to bring in store bought treats. I’m definitely not bribing anyone with something bought from the store so I’m going to take my chances and make something anyway, it’s a gamble, but I think it will work out in my kid’s favor. :)

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff — August 23, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

I’m a teacher. They would work on me.

Awesome tip about the homemade dulce de leche!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen — August 24, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I LOVE the title of this post and such a great idea to bribe the teachers tho your kids are sooooo cute it probably isn’t necessary :) I hope the year is a great one for them and that their teachers prove worthy of these brownies and your faith in them.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — August 25, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

You are going to be the death of me Sommer! Those look positively sinful. I definitely want to try making my own dulce de leche…that is an awesome trick!!!

Eileen — August 25, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

If those brownies don’t do the trick I don’t know what would! Your kids are so cute Sommer. I love their blue shirts in the pics.

Michelle — August 28, 2011 @ 12:54 am

Thanks Sommer!!! Can’t wait to make these and bribe the teacher & the rest of the staff ;) :)

Souristine — September 11, 2011 @ 6:58 am

Thank you Sommer for this amazing recipe.
    I translated it in French – and converted to metric system – for my own blog (with a link to yours, of course!)

Dulce de leche is probably easier to find in France than in the US (we call it “confiture de lait”) ; yet I love all the “do-it-yourself” stuff, so I used your tip : just parfect!

Again, thank you!

• Souristine — September 12th, 2011 @ 5:20 am

Oops, I meant “perfect”.

Hope your cute kids are doing well at school!

Jenni (Traveler for Good) — September 17, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Amazing! I was feeling a little lazy so used packaged brownie mix as the base but they were a big hit last night at dinner with friends. Posted a picture of my finished product on my blog with a link to yours.

Cheers!

Ellen — September 21, 2011 @ 8:16 am

A prego woman really shouldn’t be looking at this site… I now want to eat everything on here!! These brownies look amazing. Will be coming back to check out more recipes!

Christine — October 6, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I made these last week and they were so amazing! I’m going to have a write-up on my blog about them this weekend, but basically they turned out perfect. The blend of flavors was amazing and the coconut wasn’t overpowering.

1. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 8/20/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker