Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Mustard

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Mustard

Dinner in a pinch ~ butterflied Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Mustard.

As much as I love to cook, there are nights when dinner is a complete hassle. After a day loaded with work, errands, chores, after-school activities and homework, mommy is TIRED. Luckily I have a few go-to meals up my sleeve that offer big flavor for next to no work.

When my son was 4 years, we were out for a drive one day. The car was quiet, only the low hum of the air conditioner could be heard as my little guy watched cars pass by. Then out of nowhere, he piped up and said, “Mommy… I love pig.” (Pause.) “You know, bacon, ham and the other one. PORK! Yes, pork. I love those piggy things.”

After a long wry smile of utter satisfaction I replied, “Mommy loves pig too, buddy.”

Grilled Pork Tenderloin

Pig Pork is my family’s favorite protein by far; so versatile in flavor and form. From lean crusty pork chops, to crisp fatty bacon, to spicy dried sausage, we are fans of the PIG.

It’s no wonder that when we need dinner in a hurry we lean on the budget-friendly protein that offers big flavor and quick cook-time.

For this purpose, I always have a pork tenderloin in the freezer. In the time it takes me to tie on my apron, pull back my hair and heat the grill, the pork tenderloin is thawed in warm water and ready to go.

How To Grill Pork Tenderloin

Grilled pork tenderloin takes approximately 15-20 minutes to cook to medium (slightly pink in the center). Yet, if you butterfly the pork tenderloin, you can cut that time down to 10 minutes. Perfect for that night you are just too worn out to enjoy the cooking process.

This Grilled Pork Tenderloin recipe, is almost laughable, it’s so easy to prepare. With just two ingredients (plus salt and pepper) you’ve got an amazing main dish. And I do mean AMAZING–pork and Dijon mustard where made for each other. The sweet juicy pork mingled with the spicy notes of the mustard offer shear porky delight.

On these hectic nights I simply slice the pork loin down the middle, open in up, slather it with Dijon, and throw it on the grill.

Then I dig through the fridge for a quick side dish, or sometimes leftovers (like this fantastic tabouli), to go along.

Although this is the perfect quicky-dinner, it’s so good you are going to want to make this all the time. It’s fabulous sliced thin, for pork tacos or BBQ sandwiches. Or dress it up with a sauce and serve it to dinner guests. They’ll never know you worried yourself so little.

Grilled Pork Loin

Remember folks, a little pink in your pork is GOOD. Don’t overcook the pork tenderloin; it will dry out!

Yield: 4 servings

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Mustard

1 lb. whole pork tenderloin
2 Tb. Dijon Mustard
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Using a pairing knife, cut a gulley down the middle of the pork tenderloin end to end. Make sure NOT to cut all the way through. Open the pork loin and lay it flat. Make additional small cuts to open it wider if needed.

Slather the pork tenderloin with Dijon Mustard on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.

Grill for 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and tent with foil for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Easy Pork Tenderloin

38 Responses to “Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Mustard”

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — August 25, 2011 @ 6:41 am

Sommer thanks so much for this – I will give it a try. I do love the simplicity of pork tenderloins. You cooked yours to perfection! It’s breakfast time and now I am in the mood for pork. If Irene doesn’t give us a fit this weekend, I may have to fire up the grill! Have a great day.

Linda — August 25, 2011 @ 6:49 am

I agree! Don’t over cook pork. It’s so good when cooked so right. Your dish looks perfect. Simple, too, for a busy night. A healthy family meal all around!

Curt — August 25, 2011 @ 6:51 am

That sounds delicious. Not to mention quick and easy.

Looks really good too!

Liz — August 25, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Sommer, we LOVE pork, too! your tenderloins look fabuous!

Kate@Diethood.com — August 25, 2011 @ 6:54 am

When we came to live here in the States I was 11 years old and I didn’t speak English, so when the teacher asked us what our favorite meal was, I said PIG, loud and proud…everybody laughed. Later on I learned why. :)

Love the pork tenderloin! I always add dijon to it, too, and love it on the grill!

claudia lamascolo — August 25, 2011 @ 6:54 am

This is succulent and moist looking just love pork awesome job!

Georgia Pellegrini — August 25, 2011 @ 7:19 am

I love pork too, especially the wild kind : ) This looks so tasty, I’ll have to try it this fall when I have lots of wild ones.

Lana @ Never enough Thyme — August 25, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Sommer – We love all things pork in this house, too! And you are so right – pork and mustard are a combination made in heaven!

Evan @swEEts — August 25, 2011 @ 7:55 am

While we transition to our new digs east I’ll be taking some time off work which means cooking time :) This whole dinner sounds fabulous.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — August 25, 2011 @ 8:31 am

This looks delicious and so easy! Thanks for sharing!

Isabelle — August 25, 2011 @ 8:32 am

We’re big fans of the pig at my house too, and pork tenderloin always feels like such a treat… which is ironic, because it’s usually cheaper than boneless, skinless chicken breasts at my local supermarket. Fine by me, though, considering tenderloin is way more flavourful and tender and delicious. :)
    Love the simplicity of this recipe. Definitely a keeper for frazzled weeknights!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 25, 2011 @ 8:34 am

This pork sounds awesome! And it seems so simple and easy to make! Great recipe.

Claudia — August 25, 2011 @ 9:40 am

I never think to butterfly the loin – what a good idea! Love the simplicity – will be trying it – I often put a spicy jam on the tenderloin and call it a day – or a dinner!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — August 25, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Yum!! We’re big on pig…I mean pork, here too. It is such a tasty versatile meat. And I’m soooo glad to see someone else not cook it into shoe leather. I’ve been cooking it slightly pink for years and it is so much better that way isn’t it?

carolinaheartstrings — August 25, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

I love that filet technique. Trying that out next time we grill a pork loin. Great recipe. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful chicken and dumpling recipe today.

Dmarie — August 25, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

ooh, well done!

Baking Serendipity — August 25, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

These days I am seriously loving the recipes for when you’re short on time meals. This one is a definite winner!

Angie's Recipes — August 25, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Very tender and succulent! Definitely something must have in the grill party!

Ann — August 25, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

BRAVO! Pork that is slight pink is a thousand times better! I love that you made such an amazing, quick dish! I’ve happily buzzed this one! Your pictures are a feast for the eyes!

Aimee — August 26, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Gorgeous photos! Looks very tasty :)

Linda — August 26, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Sommer, I never thought to slice open the tenderloin and grill!! I’ve sliced it and filled and re-rolled but never like a giant cutlet of sorts! Great, great idea! I too always have a pork tenderloin in my freezer, I know I can never go wrong with the tenderness and flavor! I can’t wait to try your new trick!!

bonnie/sweetlife — August 26, 2011 @ 10:20 am

pork/dijon are a heavenly combo, love this easy weekday dinner idea!!

Hyosun Ro — August 26, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

This really is a great recipe for a week night meal. The tenderloin looks very moist and delicious. Butterflying it is such a nice idea. Thanks.

kita — August 27, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

I love pig too! Actually, I love pretty much a bit of everything, but I often try to make sure we don’t have pork too many nights a week. I could eat all of those piggy foods far too often. This grilled up delight looks awesome. I would have never thought to butterfly it out to speed up the grill time. Perfect. Thank you!

Katie@Cozydelicious — August 27, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I’ve never thought to butterfly pork tenderloin – I love that! So quick and tasty!

Nana — August 27, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

I just happen to have a tenderloin in the freezer. I’m getting it out right now to grill for Sunday Lunch. Thanks.
    Oh, by the way, I also made your stuffed poblano peppers with rice and red pepper sauce. It was a real hit at our house.

5 Star Foodie — August 27, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

A terrific meal! The pork tenderloin sounds excellent prepared with Dijon mustard on the grill!

Cookin' Canuck — August 27, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

We often turn to pork tenderloin for last-minute dinners, too. What a beautiful preparation!

Rosa — August 28, 2011 @ 11:51 am

A magnificent dish! Summery and so mouthwatering. Dijon mustard pairs wonderfully well with pork.

Cheers,

Rosa

Magic of Spice — August 29, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

What a lovely dinner…looks like a lot of hard work went into it, so nice to have recipes that are easy but look fussed over :)

Kelly — September 1, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

I have a pork tenderloin thawing and I am going to make this recipe tonight! It looks so delicious and mustard is one of my favorite condiments! I love the comments your son made too :)

Sandi — March 10, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

Holy smokes this was so easy, tasty and elegant! My 4-y/o daughter who is very picky ate all of hers without complaint. I look forward to making this again and again!

Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} — May 21, 2013 @ 10:01 am

I never knew you could butterfly them like that. I am so trying that next time! And I love the dijon mustard trick. SWEET!

Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer — May 21, 2013 @ 11:51 am

We made pork on Sunday night. Excellent! Did you post the temp for pork ? I don’t think I saw it … Yummy, Sommer!

Kevin Tkachuk — September 9, 2013 @ 6:44 pm

Just made it, absolutely fantastic! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

1. Pingback: Grilled Pork Recipes