Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde

Salsa Verde Recipe

Straight out of the ASP garden ~ freshly picked Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe that will make your head spin!

So when I say garden, I really mean flowerbeds.

For years I’ve pretended to have a green thumb, digging in the dirt, researching regional plants, perusing nurseries. Truthfully, I have no idea what I’m doing. I plant things in the wrong places, prune too much or too little, forget to water. I’m a BAD plant-mamma.

Tomatillo Plant

Giving up mid-season, I ALWAYS determine next year’s garden will be a masterpiece. Sigh…

A garden is never so good as it will be next year. ~ Thomas Cooper

This year I decided since my “landscaping” always looks wild and unruly, why not plant some produce in it. It couldn’t possibly make it look any worse. And you know what? It actually looks pretty good with the blooming squash blossoms, variegated heirloom tomatoes, Japanese eggplants, and ethereal tomatillos scattered about.

Tomatillos

Tomatillos are such unique looking plants, with hearty tomato-like stalks, and little paper lanterns hanging everywhere. The tomatillos start out like tiny bulbs inside lime green lanterns. Then as they grow, they fill in the paper wrappings until they are tight.  Full lanterns mean ripe tomatillos.

And they are very hard to kill easy to grow! After sticking them in the ground with very little thought, they have taken off.

Tomatillos have a vibrant tart flavor–almost like a citrusy apple, and are much firmer than tomatoes.

Green Salsa

What can you do with tomatillos?

•  Eat them raw with a sprinkle of salt and sugar.
  • Add them to cold or hot soups.
  • Thicken and flavor chili.
  • Fry them like green tomatoes.
  • Chop them for salads.
  • MAKE TOMATILLO SALSA!

Roasted Tomatillos

Tomatillo Salsa is delightful in a raw or cooked state, but I prefer mine somewhere in between. Roasting the tomatillos for a short time provides a lovely balance in flavor, leaving the raw edgy appeal, but also providing a certain charred quality. Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, is a true family favorite that is lighter and perkier than tomato salsas. The extra acidity holds up well against spicy heat.

This salsa verde recipe is unique because it contains avocados as well as tomatillos. The creamy consistency of the avocados combined with the zippy tomatillos is sublimely addictive.

In fact, it’s so addictive that I’ve developed this recipe to make FOUR QUARTS in one batch! Of course you could half it, but once your friends and neighbors taste this Tomatillo Salsa, they’ll be knocking at your doors holding bags of tortilla chips.

Tomatillo Salsa

Plus, you can freeze this salsa for later. Although It’s not a great idea to “can” anything with avocados, this Salsa Verde recipe freezes very well. So long after your tomatillos have withered away, you can enjoy roasted tomatillo salsa and wish for warm weather again.

Yield: 4 quarts

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde

2 ½ lbs. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
2 large onions
10 cloves garlic
4 jalapenos
2 Tb. vegetable oil
4 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. salt
1 cup packed cilantro
3 avocados
1 lime (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Peel and chop the onions into quarters. Place the tomatillos, onions, garlic and jalapenos on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil.

Roast in the oven for 15 minutes—until the exteriors are blistered but the insides are still slightly raw.

Meanwhile, half the avocados, remove the seeds, and scoop out the flesh. Cut the jalapenos in half and scrape out the seeds. Discard seeds.

Place HALF of the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until mostly smooth.

Add HALF of the cumin, salt, cilantro and avocado. Pulse until the avocado is pureed into the mixture. Taste for salt.

Repeat with the remaining ingredients. If you desire an extra tart quality, add a bit of lime juice at the end.

Is this your first time visiting A Spicy Perspective?

Stay a while, poke around, and find more great recipes such as:

Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to get weekly updates of New Recipes!

90 Responses to “Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde”

Mary Charest — May 5, 2012 @ 10:39 am

First, I love your site. I have never seen a tomatillo, so was wondering about subbing green tomatoes. I would love to grow them since we grow tomatoes if I can find the seeds. the recipe looks yummy.

• Jen — January 29th, 2013 @ 10:46 am

To sub tomatillos you can you a jar of green salsa Verde.( it’s got all the above ingredients minus the avocado’s. So when you are in a hurry get a jar of La Cosenta green salsa ( my fav) an avocado I like to add a little extra garlic, jalapeño, salt and cilantro! YUM quick and easy! I do plan to try it from scratch on day too!

Thembi — May 24, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

Thanks! Made this today and its excellent.

Karen — June 26, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

Could this be canned if you left out the avocado? I only have a water bath canner and it seems the avocado would be the only thing that I would need to leave out to can it safety.

Cookin' Canuck — June 27, 2012 @ 11:12 am

What an original version of salsa verde! I’d love to see it linked up in our avocado link-up/giveaway that Kristen & I are hosting right now.

Fern Slotman — July 23, 2012 @ 9:37 am

I want to make this, but just have one question. This makes 4 pints. How do you store the extra? Do you freeze it or refrigerate it?

• Sommer — July 25th, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

I usually freeze some of it for later. :)

Nancy — August 12, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

This salsa was amazing. This is the first time I grew tomatillos. They grew like crazy. Didn’t know how many ways you can use tomatillos. I live in high desert.

Yvearl — August 17, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

Another fantastic recipe using avocados. A win for everyone!!! Can’t wait to try this! Thank you for sharing.

Michelle — August 21, 2012 @ 11:16 am

A friend made this last night for our book club. It is the best salsa I’ve ever eaten! Thank you for sharing.

• Gina — August 22nd, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

I would like to confirm that, Michelle: This is the best salsa verde I have ever eaten. A Guatemalan friend made a version of this recently, which was formerly the best I’d ever eaten (it did contain avocados). The only change I made was to use two jalapenos and two habaneros, which gave it just the right amount of heat for a medium spicy.

Many thanks for this recipe. I have spent quite a long while searching for the right one, and this is it!

• Sommer — August 22nd, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Thanks Michelle and Gina, you girls made my day!

• Gina — August 22nd, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Just an important correction: I used Serrano chiles, not Habaneros.

I will be making this often, and I do believe it is very authentic.

Muchisimas gracias.

Kristi Rimkus — August 29, 2012 @ 7:34 am

I admire anyone who cans like this. It’s so impressive! I can see why this salsa is so addicting!

Daniela @ food recipes HQ — September 7, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

Glad I found out your blog, so interesting! Great recipe

Danielle — September 13, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Oh my goodness! Just finished making your recipe! Absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this . . . somehow I just know that this large quantity still won’t be enough for the family! :)

frances — December 7, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Love your fun for food. Shared your Salsa Verde Recipe on my Pinterest Board.
    Hope that’s okay.
    Thanks
    Frances

frances — December 7, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Love your food blog with exciting different recipes. Hope it’s okay but I pinned your Salsa Verde Recipe on my Pinterest Board, under Christmas delicious food. Will be making this for Christmas.
    Thanks
    Frances

julie — April 4, 2013 @ 12:43 am

just got a jar of the avocado salsa. is it suppose to be refrigerated or because it is canned it will be fine in the cabinet and refrigerate after opening?

sherie — June 24, 2013 @ 6:29 pm

That is fantastic! I just served it over shrimp gilled with Mexican spice mixture & topped w/sour cream. I am moaning in ecstasy! I don’t understand why anyone bothers to go out to eat when you can whip up something this good fairly simply.

E. Malcom — July 4, 2013 @ 6:45 am

Can’t wait to make this salsa! Can it be made two days in advance? I would like to make it Thursday to serve at a party on Saturday…

Thank you!!

E. Malcom — July 4, 2013 @ 8:13 am

Jan — September 6, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

I made this today and i just had to tell you that it is EXCEPTIONAL.

I am off to pick up enough tomatillos to make 3 or 4 more batches!

Thank you for sharing.

Claire — September 29, 2013 @ 11:07 am

I live in England and tomatilloes are virtually unknown here. However, I grew them this year and they have been prolific! I have made your chicken stew (delicious!) and this salsa Verde. I felt sure I would be freezing lots, but it was so wonderful it all got eaten very quickly. My brother and Mum both took a pot home and said how professional it tasted. Thanks so much for the recipe. It’s tastier and healthier than shop bought versions and such a great use of the enormous tomatillo crop I’ve produced. I feel very smug! Thanks, Elise.

Jessica — October 10, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

I’ve made this salsa twice, and loved it both times. I could drink the whole batch, honestly! Thanks for the great recipe:)

Suzanne Owens — October 16, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

This IS AMAZING! I even forgot the garlic and still Amazing!! I halved the recipe because frankly my grocery store did not carry enough tomatillos! But I used all four jalapeños and it was just the right heat! How long will this store in the refrigerator?

• Sommer — October 16th, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

Thanks Suzanne! So glad you liked it. :)

KB — February 17, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

I made this recipe tonight and it is amazing! I didn’t roast anything; I just threw it all in the processor and away we went! It’s super good made raw. Thanks so much for sharing!

1. Pingback: ¡Viva Mexico! | Caitlin & Cosbie Hollenbeck