Classic Thai Fried Rice

How To Make Fried Rice

Wanderlust- a strong desire to wander, to travel and to explore the world.

I’ve got the bug… and a killer “vintage ASP” Thai Fried Rice Recipe for you today, pulled out of the shadows for new friends.

Early on, I felt a strong yearning to learn, and explore. I had a need to be a part of something bigger than myself. This desire was subdued by traveling every summer, to some far away place with other teens ridden by wanderlust and passion.

One of my favorite trips was to Thailand. I was fifteen years old, and spent a sweaty summer meeting new people and exploring cultural differences in a land of extreme contrast. A dirty, smog-filled urban jungle surrounded by lush miles of rain forests and wildlife.

Thai Fried Rice

The small hotel we lived in most of the summer sat on a bustling side-street in Bangkok, and had all the charm (and roaches) a developing nation can offer.  The breakfast they served us most mornings, Thai Fried Rice, is forever etched in my mind. The ingredients varied, but mostly involved chicken, peas, onion and pineapple. There was an underlying essence of coconut and something else I couldn’t put my finger on at the time. They served the fried rice in a perfectly-shaped dense mound that was created by packing it into a bowl and flipping it onto the dish. Although others found this tiresome, I was always delighted to eat Thai fried rice for breakfast!

I have spent a substantial amount of time learning how to make fried rice and trying to recreate this Thai fried rice recipe from memory. That unknown flavor I couldn’t distinguish as a teen was curry powder! Just a touch of curry separates Thai fried rice from other Asian varieties.

Although I never make fried rice for breakfast, I always secretly hope there will be leftovers in the morning!

This fried rice recipe is very quick and easy to prepare. Once you chop and prep all the ingredients, it just takes minutes to cook.

How to make fried rice:

If your ginger has a thick bumpy skin, peel it with a veggie peeler or spoon. If the skin is soft and smooth–don’t bother!

Precook the jasmine rice—substituting 1 can of coconut milk as part of the water. The most important thing to remember in any good fried rice recipe, is that COLD RICE creates a better texture. Cook your rice, then chill it before using. I usually cook my rice a day ahead.

Heat the skillet and oil to high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the chicken and curry powder and cook 2 minutes—moving it around the pan.

Add the white onions to the pan and cook another minute. Add the ginger and garlic along with a couple pinches of salt and cook 1 more minute.

Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan if needed, followed by the cooked rice. Stir well.

Add the peas, pineapple, green onions and cilantro and stir again. Squeeze the lime juice over the rice and add the soy sauce to taste. Stir another minute or two, until the peas have warmed through.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high. Swirl the eggs around the skillet, gently pushing them toward the middle. The eggs should cook through, but to stay in a large circle—about 3-5 minutes. Slide them out of the pan onto a cutting board. Roll the egg into a cylinder and cut ¼ inch slices.

To plate: Use a small bowl (1 cup) and fill it with fried rice. Place a plate up-side-down over the bowl and carefully flip it over. Remove the bowl to create a perfectly-shaped mound. Top the mound with several egg spirals and place tomatoes, cucumbers and a lime wedge around the mound. Serve warm.

Yield: 6 servings

Thai Fried Rice

4 cups cooked jasmine rice (about 1 ½ cups dry)
1 coconut sweetened coconut milk
Peanut oil
1 lb. chicken (could use shrimp or pork)
1 tsp. curry powder
1 bunch green onion, chopped and separated into greens and whites/light greens
1 ½ Tb. fresh minced ginger
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup fresh chopped pineapple (or canned pineapple tidbits)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro or basil
½ lime, juiced
1-3 Tb. soy sauce
4 eggs
Tomato wedges, sliced cucumber and lime wedges for garnish

Precook the jasmine rice according to package instructions—substituting 1 can of coconut milk as part of the water. (Pour the coconut milk into the measuring pitcher, then fill it to 3 cups, for 1 ½ cups dried rice.) Once cooked chill in the fridge to firm up.

Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add 2 Tb. of oil to a large skillet or wok. Heat the skillet to high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the chicken and curry powder and cook 2 minutes—moving it around the pan.

Add the white onions into the pan and cook another minute. Add the ginger and garlic along with a couple pinches of salt —and cook 1 more minute.

Add the peas, pineapple, green onions and cilantro and stir again. Squeeze the lime juice over the rice and add the soy sauce to taste. Stir and cook another minute or two, until the peas have warmed through.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high. Spray the skillet with cooking spray and add the eggs. Swirl them around the skillet, gently pushing them toward the middle. The eggs should cook through, but to stay in a large circle—about 3-5 minutes. Slide them out of the pan onto a cutting board.

Roll the egg into a long cylinder and cut ¼ inch slices.

Fried Rice Recipe

68 Responses to “Classic Thai Fried Rice”

christa Baca — March 25, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Love it. I was so happy that I met you my dear kindred spirit when we were just teens in Thailand. Those wonderful trips sure did leave a mark on our hearts! Love the blog. XOXO

Cooking Rookie — March 25, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Very nice pictures! And a really interesting way to roll the egg. I will try it one day :-). Thanks for sharing!
    We also had fried rice yesterday, but for dinner. I guess it's good any time of the day :-)

Maris (In Good taste) — July 9, 2011 @ 6:10 am

All other fried rice pales next to this. Wonderful!

sonia — July 9, 2011 @ 6:21 am

Hi dear, This rice is looking very inviting and tempting. It has been really long since I made something Thai, and your recipe has reignited the crave for this lovely fragrant rice bowl….Cheers, sonia !

Amber @ Ambers Confections — July 9, 2011 @ 6:35 am

This looks so good! I love the presentation with the egg on top!

Amy | She Wears Many Hats — July 9, 2011 @ 6:37 am

I think it’s perfect for breakfast. It has eggs in it right?

Debbie B. — July 9, 2011 @ 6:45 am

Yum! I just started making fried rice at home and would love to try a thai fried rice. I always make the rice a day or two ahead and stick in the fridge so it’s really easy to make up for dinner.

SMITH BITES — July 9, 2011 @ 6:54 am

I would absolutely have this for breakfast! Protein, starch, with a bit of egg – perfect; and I really enjoy reading about your travels as a teenager – pretty awesome!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day — July 9, 2011 @ 8:14 am

This sounds so delicious and fresh, the colors are mesmerizing!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar — July 9, 2011 @ 8:26 am

This looks delicious! I love fried rice. Printing and buzzing this now :-)

Kelly — July 9, 2011 @ 8:51 am

This looks so delicious, what a great recipe!! :)

NISRINE — July 9, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Very delicious, Sommer. I love Thai food.

sippitysup — July 9, 2011 @ 9:57 am

It’s like my first adventures in Chinese restaurants, oh so many years ago!

Lynn — July 9, 2011 @ 10:10 am

I’m always a little in awe of people who have traveled the world. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
    This recipe sounds great, I had no idea Thai fried rice was different from other versions.

Parsley Sage — July 9, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I really could have used this for breakfast this morning. Outstanding! I love the use of curry and pineapple. I bet its delicious! Buzzed :)

Peggy — July 9, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I can always eat fried rice so I would definitely love to have this for breakfast in the morning =)

Angie's Recipes — July 9, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

I haven’t had a fried rice that I don’t like…this Thai styled one looks simply delectable.

Valerie — July 9, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

I love asian cuisine, especially fried rice!

nanascriv — July 9, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

I loved this Thai Fried Rice last year and now you have motivated me to have it again. Thanks — I’m off to get a can of coconut milk so I can enjoy your Thai creation.

Eileen — July 9, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

I’ve never made fried rice but I love it. I’m going to have to try your recipe – soon. So glad you had a chance to see some of the world when you were younger. I imagine that says a lot for your character today Sommer. Have a great weekend!

EA-The Spicy RD — July 9, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks delicious! I love using Trader Joes frozen organic brown rice for my fried rice. I’ll be trying this for sure!

Karriann Graf — July 9, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Thanks for sharing! This looks like the perfect weekend meal! Happy Cooking!

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour — July 9, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

Wonderful fried rice! I loved your memories of Thailand. How great that you have a specific dish that brings back those memories!

Hyosun Ro — July 9, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Great flavors and a nice touch with rolled egg on top. Love it!

sweetlife — July 9, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

thanks for sharing you my hubby loves fried rice. Cute with the rolled egg over the rice,

torviewtoronto — July 9, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

flavourful delicious fired rice we make similar and it is one of our favourite

Tricia B — July 10, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Very pretty and love the stories! What an adventure!

Georgia Pellegrini — July 10, 2011 @ 9:45 am

This looks so wonderfully aromatic and healthy too!

Natalie — July 10, 2011 @ 10:12 am

This sound amazing! I’m going to cook some rice tonight and try a veggie version tomorrow. Maybe not for breakfast but you never know!! :D

Bethany — July 10, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I think my favorite part about your picts this time MIGHT be the chopsticks. Look like ones that maybe I brought back from Japan for you? :)

Dmarie — July 10, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

looks and sounds delish! thanks, Spicy!!

Chef Dennis — July 10, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

I love fried rice, although I have never had Thai style. your rice does look delicious but I don’t know about breakfast!

Emily @ Life on Food — July 10, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

The egg rolls on top are so cute. I love that idea. And the mounds, that is always my favorite part when I go to Asian restaurants.

Ilke — July 10, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Hi dear!
    I think you recreated perfectly! There is something rebellious about eating dinner food for breakfast :)

Monet — July 10, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

What a perfect recipe. My best friend is spending her summer in Thailand, and this recipe made me think of her. Thank you so much for sharing it with me! I’m hungry now! I hope you had a wonderful weekend, and I’m wishing you a week full of love and laughter!

Shirley — July 10, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Yum! I’m used to Chinese fried rice, but I’ll have to try this version with curry powder and coconut milk.

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — July 10, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

This is an excellent twist on regular chinese fried rice. Will be liking this post :) YUM

Terris-FreeEats — July 10, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

I haven’t met a fried rice I didn’t like and I KNOW I will be good friends with this one. I haven’t had a Thai twist before, so thanks for sharing and those rolled eggs are gorgeous!

Linda — July 11, 2011 @ 6:40 am

You were very fortunate to have traveled so much at a young age. And we are fortunate that you are sharing these great recipes! I really like the mix of ingredients and that pineapple was included; I wasn’t expecting that. I know my daughter will love this and so will I!

Jonha | FriendsEat — July 11, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Everybody loves fried rice but I guess we would all love your version even more!

The Mistress of Spices — July 11, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I visited Thailand for the first time in December and fell totally in love with the food (no surprise there)! I too loved eating fried rice, noodles, etc. for breakfast. I’ll have to try your recipe as it sounds delicious…thanks for sharing!

Tiffany — July 11, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Looks delish! And love the egg on top!

marla — July 11, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

A classic dish indeed, wish I had some for lunch today :)

carolinaheartstrings — July 11, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Wonderful looking and sounding recipe. Great pictures from beginning to end. Enjoyed this post, reading about your Thailand adventure.

Emily Malloy @Cleanliness — July 11, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

This is beyond beautiful!

Joyti — July 11, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Curry fried rice – yum! One of my favorites. And yours turned out so beautifully…

Kathleen — July 11, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

This looks amazing. I love how you prepared the egg!

Kathy - Panini Happy — July 11, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

I can’t wait to try this! I regularly make Chinese fried rice, it will be fun to vary it up by adding ingredients like coconut milk and pineapple to the mix. Sweet and savory is the best! I made pad Thai this weekend for the first time (will post this week) – I would love to visit Thailand someday. :-)

Ana Helena Campbell — July 11, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

The coconut milk must add a terrific flavor. I love rice and this is a new way to eat it., Never had Thai Fried Rice before. I have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

mjskit — July 11, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I’ve been looking for a Thai Fried Rice recipe for a long time and this look great! Thanks for sharing.

Skylar — July 12, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

This looks amazing, I love that you kept in the little rolled egg, that’s always my favorite part of a traditional Thai rice. Thanks for sharing

Juanita — July 13, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Jasmine rice and ginger are so special together. Add in coconut milk and the dish becomes addictive!

I love your travel story and the photo styling. Nicely done :-)

Fresh and Foodie — July 13, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Yum. You can’t go wrong w/ fried rice. Great story, too.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — July 14, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Oh my word this looks amazing. I would have a hard time not eating the whole dish! YUM!!! :)

Skinny Fat Kid — July 14, 2011 @ 10:51 am

I love making fried rice but have never tried Thai Fried rice. Will need to try this out (minus the peanut oil of course!)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — July 14, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Love fried rice! Love what you did with the eggs here, so pretty! I made strawberry raspberry jelly this week using your strawberry chipotle recipe as a guide – yummy!

Jeanette — July 16, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

Sommer, your story reminds me of the fried rice I had for breakfast when I was in Singapore and Bali years ago (nasi goreng). A Filipino childhood friend’s mom also made her garlic fried rice for breakfast that is still etched in my mind.

shelly (cookies and cups) — July 18, 2011 @ 7:16 am

I love this recipe!! What a great weeknight meal!

lightfl — July 22, 2011 @ 2:45 am

hi great effort and nice pic, have you left out the chilies ?

foodies at home — July 27, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

Oh my gosh! Your eggs are awesome and so cute! I’m going to have to try this! Plus my husband LOVES fried rice!

ellemarie — August 5, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

i feel hungry.. :-O

Steve Cylka — August 18, 2011 @ 9:46 am

wow, this looks realy tasty. I love Thai food – I will have to try it!

foodlvr — September 4, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

This looks so good. I know galangal is hard to come by locally for most people so they sub Ginger. If u Dan get it, that is what would make it taste even more authentic. Otherwise this looks amazing

maggie P — March 2, 2012 @ 1:51 am

I hovered over the special fried rice at my local thai when they made it because — like this one– it’s delicious. I add fish sauce to the recipe and Chinese sausage which I render a little bit first! I believe it’s called Lap Chong and it’s vacuum packed in Asian stores – very easy to find!

1. Pingback: Fun Friday: Gluten-Free Book Review, Adventures in Sardine Tasting, and More! | The Spicy RD

2. Pingback: Fryed rice resipe | Sektorx