Grilled Peach and Chipotle Salsa

Peach Salsa

As the T-shirt says, “Shut up and Salsa!” I’m sure it’s referring to the dance, not Grilled Peach Chipotle Salsa, but I say it works either way.

There are foods I make from scratch and foods I buy pre-made. Here starts the true confessions segment…

I NEVER make sushi, I always buy it. I know, I know… it’s easy to make. So what, I like my local sushi bar!

I almost never make ribs. Again, takeout–with the exception of THIS RECIPE. It’s my favorite.

I do not make my own salty crackers, graham crackers, or animal crackers. Although I’m VERY impressed by people who do; I have favorite boxed brands and it takes extra time I just don’t have.

Neither do I make my own ricotta cheese or mozzarella. Same principle as above. I bow in silent reverence, but I have no desire to try it.

I never, EVER roast a chicken. Grocery store rotisserie chickens all the way, baby. Turkey? Yes. Quail? Yes. Chicken? NO.

Grilled Peach and Chipotle SalsaThese fun and festive bowls are from Villeroy and Boch’s Twist Alea line.

Whew! Now that that’s over, there are things others buy pre-made that I try my best to always make from scratch. I guess we all have our foods we’re particular about.

Stock

Jam

Bread

Pies

SALSA!

This time of year, when there is fresh produce in-season everywhere I look, I’ve GOT to make the most of it. Salsa (especially peach chipotle salsa) is the perfect place to start. It’s a dip, it’s a sauce, heck who am I kidding… I eat it out of the jar with a spoon.

How to Grill Peaches

Grilling the peaches releases the sweetness and adds a smokey essence. Grilled peaches are amazing on there own, but combined with charred garden veggies and spicy heat, they really shine. The trick to grilled peaches is to use FIRM, yet ripe peaches. Grill them just long enough to create char marks and loosen up the juices. You do not want them to cook through and get mushy. The same principle goes for the peppers and shallots. The char marks on the grilled peaches, shallots and peppers add flavor and visual appeal.

Grilled Peach Chipotle Salsa mingles sweet poppy notes, spice and herbs together and makes simple summertime dishes SING! Try it over protein like grilled chicken, fish or steak. Use it at a topper for smooth creamy soups. Or on a cheese board with ripe creamy cheese… heaven.

Grilled Peaches

Grilled Peach Chipotle Salsa gives common garden fair a little summertime Va-va-VOOM!

Yield: 4 cups

Grilled Peach and Chipotle Salsa

6 firm, ripe peaches
2 shallots, peeled
1 red bell pepper, seeds removed
2 tsp. oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1-2 chipotle peppers, canned in adobo sauce
2 Tb. chopped cilantro
1 lime
1 Tb. honey (if needed)
Salt and Pepper

Preheat the grill to medium. Cut each peach into 4 thick slices. Cut the shallots in half and the pepper in quarters. Lay the peaches, shallots and peppers on a baking sheets and toss with a little oil.

Carefully place the peaches, shallots and peppers on the grill. Grill the peaches 1-2 minutes per side until nice grill marks have formed, but the peaches are still firm. Grill the shallots and pepper 2-4 minutes per side. Remove and cool.

Chop the peaches, shallots and peppers into small ¼ inch chunks and place them in a bowl.

Mince the chipotle peppers, then add them to the bowl along with the minced garlic, cilantro, the juice of 1 lime and honey.

Mix well and salt and pepper to taste.

For a “saucier” salsa, puree half the peaches with the lime juice then, mix with the rest.

Other fantastic fruit salsas:

Mango Salsa ~ Simple Recipes

Pineapple and Avocado Salsa ~ Duchess of Fork

Strawberry Salsa ~ Annie’s Eats

49 Responses to “Grilled Peach and Chipotle Salsa”

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — July 3, 2011 @ 12:05 am

This is fantastic! Just what I wanted to see. Got a whole lot of peaches yesterday with chutney in mind but somewhere I’m going to try this too.

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 3, 2011 @ 3:47 am

What a delicacy! This looks so much better then any salsa I have ever seen!

Liz — July 3, 2011 @ 4:55 am

Great lists of what you do and do not make from scratch. And I certainly agree with you about salsa. Yours is SO enticing….love that the peaches are grilled. Wonderful, Sommer!!!

Lea Ann — July 3, 2011 @ 6:29 am

I love fruit salsas and this sounds delicious. Love the addition of chipotle. We won’t have Colorado peaches for another 6 weeks and this is be on the list of things to make once they hit the markets.

Blog is the New Black — July 3, 2011 @ 7:42 am

Gorgeous!!!

Cookin' Canuck — July 3, 2011 @ 8:12 am

The color of this is gorgeous! The spicy-sweet combination of this would be perfect on top of fish or chicken.

Hester Casey - Alchemy — July 3, 2011 @ 8:13 am

This is beautiful. I think I shall now shut up and salsa – the Grilled Peach Chipotle type – although it looks so fabulous that I’ll probably burst into spontaneous dance having tasted it. :)

Angie's Recipes — July 3, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

wow that’s a totally summery and vibrant salsa! I just love it!

Dmarie — July 3, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

our peppers haven’t started producing yet, and I refuse to give an arm and a leg for them, but I did just buy some organic peaches, so I’m going to take your cue & roast some to add some panache to a store-bought salsa. thanks for the idea, Spicy, and wish me luck!!

nanascriv — July 3, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

Your Peach Salsa is absolutely beautiful.

elle marie — July 3, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

Heck, if it’s done better, or just as good, bought boxed, I’m all for curbing time, but man, please send me a Jar of this via international air express!

Hyosun Ro — July 3, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

So deliciously beautiful! I have grilled peaches for dessert, but now I know something else I can do with them. Thanks!

Katarina — July 4, 2011 @ 7:51 am

This is great and I like the colors!

Kate@Diethood.com — July 4, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Awesome….thank goodness you came out and confessed…now I don’t feel so bad about not roasting my own chicken… or making my own sushi… or using ready made pizza dough….or… ;))

The salsa sounds great… I love grilled peaches so I can only imagine how tasty this is!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — July 4, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

I am so with you on the salty crackers, graham crackers, animal crackers and cheese. I do however love a roasted chicken and don’t think the store bought ones are as good. Never done turkey or quail though! This salsa looks awesome! Happy 4th!

Parsley Sage — July 4, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

Hot mama, that looks delicious! I could definitely rock that at a weekend grill party :)

Chef Dennis — July 4, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Sommer, what a perfect fruit salsa! I love all of your admissions on what you make and do not make, there are just not enough hours in the day to make everything….and I honestly don’t think I would ever want to make my own crackers….but for those that do, I am in awe!
    I have to try grilling the peaches next time I make a fruit salsa!

Kaylee — July 4, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

This is the perfect summer salsa! This is a definate must make!

Ilke — July 4, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

Have to confess, I never make my own salsa. But peaches are piling up on the counter as we speak!
    You have a way with the grill, lady, love the marks on the peaches! :)

Monet — July 4, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

We just made some amazing mango salsa tonight and this looks equally as good! Thank you for sharing with me, my dear friend. You brought a smile to my face. I hope you had a lovely 4th of July. Hugs from Austin!

Joyti — July 5, 2011 @ 3:13 am

This sounds so delicious and summery! Yum.
    I hope you had a wonderful Fourth…

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 5, 2011 @ 4:32 am

Grilled peaches are the best! I’m loving this salsa.

Linda — July 5, 2011 @ 7:13 am

I agree with never making sush! I leave that to the experts who present gorgeous plates of sushi rolls adorned with artfully cut veggies and orchids lining my plate! It’s a whole eating experience that I have no desire to compete with or even try!! But for salsa, yes, of course, I’m all about the freshness and combining the flavors I like. This is a great recipe; so vibrant and healthy looking!!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — July 5, 2011 @ 7:35 am

Your confessions cracked me up! And this salsa looks amazing…can’t wait to try it!

Kristen — July 5, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Grilling those peaches first is such a fantastic idea. That salsa has my mouth watering!

Carolyn — July 5, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Oh, love this Sommer! It looks amazing and I can just imagine how well peaches and chipotle go together.

carolinaheartstrings — July 5, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Wow does that look fantastic. I cannot wait to try it. I am posting an awesome salsa recipe this week too. Check it out on Thursday.

pachecopatty — July 5, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

I have to admit that I’ve never grilled a peach- something new that I want to try!
    I love your salsa, it’s so pretty in the bowl;-)

sweetlife — July 5, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

Sommer I love this salsa!! I have a huge bowl of peaches on my counter begging to be grilled! love the festive bowl!
    bonnie
    sweetlife

Feast on the Cheap — July 6, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I just love peachy toppings. My mom makes a fabulous Summer Peach Relish that she slathers on Bourbon & Molasses-marinated Steak It’s to-die-for.

Stevie — July 6, 2011 @ 9:02 am

This salsa sounds sensational. I’ve made a fruit salsa using kiwi before, which sort of reminded me of food in Miami.

It’s funny reading about the things that you never make and that you always do. I’m impressed that you make all your own jams and breads. We race through that stuff, so I’d be in the kitchen all the time!

Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 7, 2011 @ 7:55 am

This looks amazing! I stumbled onto your blog today and I am loving it. I just subscribed. :) My won’t buy and always buy list is almost identical to yours. Although, making salsa is not on mine at all. I’m going to try it this year though.

rebecca — July 7, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

wow awesome salsa great recipe for in season peaches

Rosa — July 8, 2011 @ 5:00 am

A great salasa! So fresh, summery and delicious. That combo is dreamlike.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Rosa — July 8th, 2011 @ 5:00 am

Sorry, I meant “salsa”! ;-P

The Mistress of Spices — July 8, 2011 @ 10:32 am

This looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I was just thinking the other day that I need to make some fruit salsa this weekend actually…I was thinking mango or pineapple, but you’ve changed my mind! Peach it is!!!

A Canadian Foodie — July 12, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

The combination of flavours in this recipe is brilliant. The photograph in the dish you chose is stunning!
    What a healthy burst of lush summer! I cannot wait to make this. Fresh peaches will be in season in about a week here… well, from BC.
    Valerie

A Canadian Foodie — July 12, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

PS – and you must roast a chicken…. an organic, free range, beautiful chicken. You will be shocked at the difference in flavour.
    V

Chili — July 15, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Nice looking salsa you got there. Bet it taste wonderful on grilled fish!!

Jeanette — July 16, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

Sommer, fruit salsas are a favorite in the summer, and this Grilled Peach Chipotle Salsa sounds super summery!

PancakeNinja — July 22, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Love your photos!! and now I want to make your peach salsa!

RisaG — September 27, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

the salsa looks so good I could eat it off the screen. I have some plums in the refrigerator. I know what I am doing with them. Thanks for the inspiration. It will be great with my brisket tomorrow night.

Omega 3 — September 29, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

Your resource is actually very informative. Many thanks for that.

Shannon @ RecipesMe — May 1, 2012 @ 11:58 am

This salsa sounds really delicious. I’m going to have to make this :)

Liza — June 5, 2012 @ 9:19 am

Delicious!!! T.K

Anke — July 23, 2014 @ 9:29 am

When you don’t know which way the market is going
    to move, it’s risky. This software suite is free for any purpose,
    including commercial use. We have noticed a nice jump in sales overall, including Bitcoin sales.

arrest on a young Bitcoin website owner, exposing a deep web of drugs, guns, prostitution, murder for hire and a ready tool for
    tax evasion and money laundering.

1. Pingback: Grilled Peach and Chipotle Salsa — Villeroy & Boch Blog

2. Pingback: Sweet Remedy » Grilled Peach & Chipotle Salsa

3. Pingback: 6 Unique Salsa Recipes that are Easy to Make | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies