Zucchini Nutella Swirl Muffins

Zucchini Muffins Nutella Swirl

Baking Drama produces Zucchini Muffins with Nutella Swirl.

Life and baking are one and the same. There are firm rules and other areas that offer plenty of room for interpretation. There are moments of triumph and toothsome rewards. There are devastating failures that you can’t fully grasp the depths of until the very end. Baking, like life, is a delicate balance of methodology and creative out-pour. Dangerous, yet sweet.

I often find little life lessons in my interaction with food. In many ways, cooking has taught me to:  be resourceful, stay open-minded, learn from my mistakes, and trust the process.

The latter I find to be the most difficult.

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

There is something deep within me that often wants to fling “the process” off a cliff and not look back. But if I did that, I wouldn’t be “learning from my mistakes” would I?

In baking, as with life, the process matters. You can disagree with the process all day, but you’ll never win that Pillsbury Bake-Off.

This zucchini muffin recipe in particular, was a refresher course in “trusting the process.” I’m embarrassed to tell you I made them FOUR times. IN THE SAME DAY. Because I was certain my “tweak” wouldn’t result in the failure I knew was a guaranteed outcome. Why did I make faulty tweaks three times? And why did I keep making additional batches of Zucchini Muffins with Nutella Swirl? I’m stubborn. Really stubborn.

Zucchini Nutella Muffins

So now that my flaws are out on the table, let’s discuss what I did wrong.

Batch One. I over filled the muffin tins. Of course, I KNEW my muffins were bound to spill out in the oven, but I wanted to get all the batter in 8 liners. The muffins also needed a little boost in flavor.

Batch Two. I over filled the muffins AGAIN–10 this time. I added too much Nutella, so the tops were a complete mess.

Batch Three. In effort to build the flavor, I added almond extract, trying to play off the nuttiness of the hazelnuts in Nutella. They were ok, but not blog-worthy. And oh yes, I overfilled the muffin liners AGAIN. Swears!

Batch Four. Finally, I paired back the size of my recipe and added lemon zest, instead of almond extract. Tasty Success!

These Zucchini Muffins were light, moist, and flavorful with a decedent chocolatey top. They were worth the wait.

How to Make Zucchini MuffinsHow to make Zucchini Bread

So if you don’t want to remake the same recipe 4 times, don’t break the concrete rules of baking. It’s important to think of baking as chemistry. Each step of a recipe is an important part of the scientific process, and if adjusted, WILL result in a different outcome.

Be sure to MEASURE, mix your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, add your eggs one at a time, take the extra few minutes to cream your butter and sugar until fluffy, and for the love of God, don’t overfill your muffin liners.

zucchini and chocolate

Yield: 12 muffins

Zucchini Muffins with Nutella Swirl

1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 extra large egg
1 cup grated zucchini
Zest of one lemon
½ cup Nutella

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine the flour salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Whisk well.

Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl and add the egg; beat in.

Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until just combined.

Stir in the zucchini and lemon zest.

Use a ¼ cup scoop to evenly distribute the batter between the muffin liners. They should be 2/3 full.

Dollop 1 teaspoon of Nutella on top of each scoop of batter and swirl with a toothpick.

Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Check the centers with a toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean before removing the muffins from the oven.

*This recipe can be made in two loaf pans. Bake for 35-50 minutes.

126 Responses to “Zucchini Nutella Swirl Muffins”

Blog is the New Black — June 27, 2011 @ 6:31 am

What an interesting recipe! I am sold on anything with Nutella!

Katarina — June 27, 2011 @ 6:55 am

These look delicious!

Belinda @zomppa — June 27, 2011 @ 7:01 am

Chocolate and veggies in one lovely package!

marla — June 27, 2011 @ 7:21 am

These muffins are heavenly. Love how the little bits of green poke through. Gonna share on Facebook now!!

Tricia B — June 27, 2011 @ 7:53 am

So right you are. Those look like they were worth the effort! Congratulations on another great success :)

brandi — June 27, 2011 @ 8:39 am

these look fantastic! i love the little pops of green from the zucchini.

Brooke — June 27, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Those look great!

April — June 27, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Ooooh I’m going to make these for sure, although it’s always dangerous for me to have nutella laying around the kitchen….

pachecopatty — June 27, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Wow Sommer, thanks for perfecting this wonderful zucchini muffin recipe, love the Nutella swirled on top and the paper wrappers;-)

carolinaheartstrings — June 27, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Those look so yummy. Anyting with Nutella always is!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — June 27, 2011 @ 10:46 am

What a fantastic pairing! These sound fabulous!

Steve @ HPD — June 27, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Zucchini Nutella sounds like the name of the next Secretary General of the UN!

(Going to use a spin off of this in my novel … will have to change Nutella slightly, so I don’t get sued … My favorite made-up food-based name is the made-up SEC football coach, Shrimp Deveiner. )

Squash Blossom Babies — June 27, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Fabulous!!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow — June 27, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Yum! they look delicious!

Skinny Fat Kid — June 27, 2011 @ 11:46 am

WOAH! I have zucchini in the fridge meant for a side dish, but I may have to change my plans! Think subbing applesauce for butter will be ok??

• Sommer — June 27th, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Hi! I’ve done that in other muffin recipe–don’t know why it wouldn’t work here. Let me know how it goes!

Valerie — June 27, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Love it!! Especially the nutella swirl, must taste soo good… Soon you’ll be in top 9 hehe

Roxana GreenGirl — June 27, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

I admire your perseverance Sommer. I’d have given up after the second batch.
    The muffins look amazing. Love the Nutella and zucchini combo. Thanks for sharing

Sara — June 27, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

I’m stubborn too. I think it’s a great virtue, contrary to what people say. It might make the process harder or longer but if you weren’t stubborn you would not have continued making these muffins until successful! I’m completely sold on the nutella top.

Angie's Recipes — June 27, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Nutella and zucchini are perfectly together! They look so soft, and light!

Linda — June 27, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

I’m so glad you’re stubborn as this sounds like a winning combination of flavors….and just right filled muffins! I love the specks of zucchini throughout the swirls of Nutella! Zucchini is about to become very plentiful this summer so I’m looking forward to doing some baking with zucchini!

sippitysup — June 27, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Zucchini and Nutella! I’ll have to give that a “swirl”. GREG

April — June 27, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

This reminds me of my mom’s zucchini cake with a boost. Can’t wait to try them.

Lilly — June 27, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

I have never used zucchini in sweet dishes before. I’ve seen it in several recipes but I haven’t figure out what this ingredient actually adds to the dish. Love the nutella swirl though.

• Sommer — June 27th, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Hey Lilly, It adds a really mild earthy quality and a LOT of moisture. If you’ve ever shredded and drained zucchini for fritters, you’ll know it contains a massive amount of liquid.

• Tanya — June 28th, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I was going to ask if you squeezed out any of the liquid from the shredded zucchini, but it appears not. Good to know.

Maris(In Good Taste) — June 27, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

I do like your analogy and love your muffins! Chocolate and vegetables together! What a fine marriage!

Helene — June 27, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

With Nutella, this is insane :)

Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs — June 27, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

I think you are persistent not stubborn, and you have a great work ethic. Thanks to your hard work we can all have great muffins. Thanks!

Liz — June 27, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

These are just stunning, Sommer! I’m going to get my family to eat zucchini some way, some how this year…this may bet the answer!

Emily @ Life on Food — June 27, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

So cute with the swirl, even better that it is a Nutella swirl. Looks delicious!

So, I’m curious. What happened to the three fails? They don’t sound like they were bad enough to throw out. Surely they ended up someone’s tummy, didn’t they?

I admit that I’m one that sticks to the rules when it comes to baking simply because I’ve seen the results of not doing so and baking is so not my forte. You, on the other hand are amazing. These look fantastic. I’m a huge zucchini bread fan so I can’t wait to give the bread a try with a splash of chocolate and hazelnut. Perfect.

Parsley Sage — June 27, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

Four times, huh? Well, you got there eventually :) And I reckon an overfilled muffin still tastes good!

Dmarie — June 27, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

have I told you lately how much I LOVE your blog, Spicy!!!

Sneh | Cook Republic — June 27, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Green & Brown! Love the colors. Gorgeous muffins!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 27, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Sound so good! I am jealous you had enough zucchini to try these 4 times! Practice makes perfect though, right!

Hyosun Ro — June 27, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Zucchini and Nutella! Love the idea. I am growing zucchini this summer, so I will definitely make these muffins. Thanks for the recipe!

Shelby — June 27, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Looks so yummy. I definitely have to try these!

torviewtoronto — June 27, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

colourful combination for the muffins delicious
    torviewtoronto and createwithmom

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — June 27, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

Now that’s dedication! Hooray for stubbornness :-)

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 27, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

I love zucchini bread and with Nutella it has to be over the top. Pretty pictures too!

Peggy — June 28, 2011 @ 5:02 am

I’m so glad you were able to try, try again and make this work! Bookmarking =)

Hester Casey - Alchemy — June 28, 2011 @ 5:37 am

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try (and try) again. And wow, you have succeeded in creating such lovely muffins. The green specks of the zucchini look so pretty. This is a definite Must Make!

Vanessa — June 28, 2011 @ 5:51 am

Zucchini and Nutella, say whattt! I want one. They look delicious.

Celia — June 28, 2011 @ 5:56 am

The similarity of baking and chemistry always make me surprised I didn’t do better in chemistry…Glad you kept trying, and got a gorgeous batch out! Yum!

Emily @Cleanliness — June 28, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Just got some zucchini from the garden last night! I was thinking of making zucchini muffins. Twins?! I think so!

Your addition of Nutella knocks it out of the park!

Samantha — June 28, 2011 @ 8:14 am

These look absolutely amazing!! When my sister’s zucchini is ready in her garden, I’m going to have to whip some up!

Cécy — June 28, 2011 @ 8:34 am

I’ve made savory zucchini muffins before, but I’ve never tried sweet ones. I’m not sold on the american nutella as a spread. I’m too used to the French version. But for cooking… maybe…

Magic of Spice — June 28, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Oh my you are stubborn…four times, I would have given up after the second time :) Glad they worked out for you and they look amazing :)

kankana — June 28, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

I am hearing a lot of zucchini and chocolate combo. This looks like something I would enjoy a lot !

Stevie — June 28, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

You’re so funny! Four batches. Incredible.

I completely agree with your life-and-baking philosophy though I’d extend it for all kinds of cooking. And I like it that you wrote that batch three was not “blog-worthy.” We debate the blog-worthiness of things all the time now, but thought we were the only two. The term belongs in the dictionary.

I’m still puzzled by your muffins. What could ever go wrong with zucchini and nutella in anything?

Val — June 29, 2011 @ 5:13 am

Your muffins look beautiful. I guess that’s what happens when you reach the fourth batch. What I particularly love about them though, beyond the addition of nutella is the incorporation of lemon. They’re so pretty with the nutella swirl and little flecks of green. It just says summer all over :)

Souristine — June 29, 2011 @ 5:47 am

Well, they don’t just LOOK delicious, they ARE fabulous! And I think I might convince my 4-year-old to taste them, even though she’s not a great fan of zucchini!
    I baked them a little less longer, around 12 minutes, and it was enough.

Do you mind if I translate your recipe in French (and adapt it to metric system), and publish it on my blog?

Thanks!

• Sommer — June 29th, 2011 @ 6:05 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them, and of course you may use this recipe. Please add a link. :)

• Souristine — June 29th, 2011 @ 7:16 am

I will. ;) Thanks again.

Lucy Burdette — June 29, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Hmmm, I would have thought the almond extract was just the thing! but I’ll trust your process:)

Jean Soo — June 29, 2011 @ 8:51 am

wow, zuchini and chocolate!! sounds so refreshing! this is such an inno~licious bakes! (innovative + delicious)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — June 29, 2011 @ 9:26 am

They cetainly look like they are worth the effort! I’m buzzing/sharing/and bookmarking these immediately… 4th of July = muffins, no? :)

One question… what did you do with the “fail” muffins?

Chrissy — June 29, 2011 @ 9:45 am

That’s awesome. I love your 4 batch baking adventure. I must say you have a heap of patience to wait THAT long to nom on such a delicious muffin! Thanks for sharing, I love zucc and nutella and together I am sure they are a match made in heaven!

giordin — June 29, 2011 @ 10:27 am

oh my goodness, i can’t wait to make these! what a wonderful idea. i got a bunch of delicious, fresh zucchinis in my CSA box this week! now i know exactly what i’m going to do with them!

ClickandCookRecipes — June 29, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I love how honest you are about your cooking and the trial and errors. Makes me feel better about the trouble I have with baking! LOL These look wonderful and I’m excited to try them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Chef Dennis — June 29, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I do have to try these muffins, I love savory muffins and always have an over abundance of zucchini
    I’m glad you were so persistent!

Kate@Diethood.com — June 29, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

I.Must.Make.These. This is taking chocolate and zucchini to a whole new, crazy-delicious level! I love it!! Then again I love everything you make. :)

sensiblecooking — June 29, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

That is the best muffin recipe ever. Who would have thought of zucchini and nutella together? I am so making it tonight.

Cookin' Canuck — June 29, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

That opening shot is stunning, Sommer. I’m certain I wouldn’t be able to stop eating these pretty muffins.

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — June 29, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Wow! What an amazing combination. I would most certainly have to guarantee they would get eaten right away so I didn’t eat the whole batch!

elle marie — June 29, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

The green really comes out, I really like the contrast in colors! Awesome! Hope you are having a wonderful summer so far.

Eileen — June 29, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Holy cow – look at the number of comments these little beauties generated. They are beautiful. I can even convince my self they are healthy because they have Zucchini in them. Must try soon!

Baking Serendipity — June 29, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

I definitely appreciate your dedication to this recipe…the fourth batch looks fantastic! I love chocolate in zucchini bread, but never thought to use Nutella…it sounds fantastic!

Erin@TheFoodMentalist — June 29, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

These look so delicious and moist! I am definitely going to try these. Thanks for the post :)

something_good — June 30, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Since joining Foodbuzz I was overwhelmed by all Nutella & Oreos recipes, so I succumbed myself in making variations :) . I stumbled upon a perfect spread, called Gianera, that beats Nutella (pls don’t kill me) so I will try and make these muffins with it.
    They look excellent!

Reese@SeasonWithSpice — July 1, 2011 @ 8:38 am

Hi Sommer, that’s great that the lemon zest did the trick. The magic of adding a bit of spice.

Happy 4th of July weekend to you and your family!

Reese & Mark

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 2, 2011 @ 12:47 am

These look delicious. Stumbled, here and on Bella Nutella :D

kita — July 5, 2011 @ 9:06 am

We don’t do zucchini in this house because the BF wont stand for it – but if I could sneak it in as a muffin…. with nutella – I’m sure it could change his mind!

April Hunter — July 5, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Making these tonight for house group….bought the smallest jar of nutella available so i would not gorge myself!!!!

claudia lamascolo — July 6, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

oh yes I am soooooo trying this one!

Heather — July 13, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

These were great. I needed a touch more liquid, so added a second egg at the last minute – perhaps I had small eggs (yes I didn’t follow the specificity of chemistry), however they turn out lovely and were delicious! This recipe is a keeper.

Lynn Bolser — July 14, 2011 @ 8:27 am

Just popped these in the oven. Emily loves Nutella and nobody saw the zucchini so we will see!

Leslie — July 17, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

I have zucchini coming out my ears since my neighbor and dad have been giving me part of their crop. I made zucchini bread this past week (adding semi-sweet choco chips instead of the traditional raisins and pecans). I have a recipe I’m going to try this week for zucchini cakes (by The Pioneer Woman) and I want to try this too. Yumm! Love me some Nutella too. ;)

Ann — July 20, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I made these last night and they are delicious! It’s the first time I’ve tried Nutella. After all the comments I was curious so I opened the jar on the way home from the store to try it. Amazing! I even got the kids to eat zucchini this way.

Jessica — August 4, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Oh. My. Gosh.

This is, hands-down, the best zucchini bread recipe EVER! Even the anti-zukes in my household love them!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Gigi — August 23, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

These would be perfect if they had less butter. I made them, but they taste too much like butter.

• Sommer — August 23rd, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Hey Gigi, The butter is what makes them extra moist. You could always substitute shortening or oil. Although oil would make the batter runny and the Nutella would probably sink! :)

• JT — December 20th, 2013 @ 9:20 am

I used 3/4 of a stick of butter and spelt flour and they are delicious! My gluten free friends were SO impressed! Giving these as Christmas gifts at the office today =)

Gratefully,
      JT

Gigi — August 30, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Thanks Sommer! Might try to sub half the butter with virgin coconut oil next time. The muffins did freeze perfectly. Guess it depends what mood I’m in since I had another one the other day & didn’t mind all the butter.

Jill — September 19, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Warming the nutella for a few seconds in the microwave made it easier to swirl. I also added about 1/4 cup of flaked hazelnuts to the muffins to ‘tie’ the muffins and nutella together. Might use chocolate chips next time for the same purpose!

• Jill — September 19th, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Oh No! The nutella sank into the muffins as they cooked. Is the batter supposed to be quite solid or is it like a regular muffin batter? I’m trying to adapt the recipe to a gluten-free version.

• Sommer — September 19th, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

Hey Jill, the batter is usually just a tad thicker than traditional muffin batter. My guess is that heating the nutella caused it to sink. If it’s at room temp, the batter has a little extra time to cook in order to keep the nutella up. Could also have something to do with gluten-free flours, but since I don’t know what you used I can’t say for sure. …Oh well-they should still taste good. :)

• Jill — September 22nd, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

I didn’t warm it the first time I tried them – it was just a thought that occurred to me after I tried swirling the room temp nutella. My favorite GF flour mix is bean flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch and cornstarch with xanthan gum added to give it some binding power. The flopped attempted does taste lovely and I will give it another try.

Leesha — September 21, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

*bookmarking* Can’t wait to try these!!

Jeannie — October 10, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

LOVE these muffins!!!! Yummy to the tummy! :D

Jenni MacArthur — February 9, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Totally making these for my Dad’s birthday brunch next week. Such an unexpected combination and it sounds divine!

Steph — February 9, 2012 @ 10:44 am

what an amazing combo! cant wait to try these

Jan — February 28, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

I made these last night. EXCELLENT. The lemon zest was brilliant.

Lyndsay — March 13, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

My batter came out pretty thick and I had a hard time getting the Nutella to swirl. Should I warm the Nutella up first? Other than the look of them – not a pretty as yours :) – they were absolutely delicious!

Vicky — June 10, 2012 @ 6:02 am

These really look amazing. What a great idea! My son will eat anything if it has Nutella in it… so thank you!!

Diana @ a girl, a dog & an oven — July 24, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

I made these today to try and make a dent in the huge amount of zucchini I have….wow! They’re delicious!! Thanks for what I’m sure will be a much repeated recipe!

www.johnbuckart.com — June 7, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Hi there, just wanted to say, I liked this post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

ashleyallyson.com — June 7, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Hi, just wanted to mention, I loved this blog post. It was helpful. Keep on posting!

Emily — July 21, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

I can’t wait to try this out on my kid! Anything with Nutella is a hit in our house, and I wanted something different from the usual zucchini bread I bake when in season.

Christine — August 3, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

I made these tonight… And they came out absolutely wonderful! Thank you!!!

Karla — February 12, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

Can I substitute regular flour to almond flour?

Connie C — June 20, 2014 @ 9:39 am

Just made these. WOW! I added a dash of cloves because that’s what I usually put in my zucchini bread. Running to the store to buy more zucchini as when my teenagers arrive home, they’ll be gone in a nanosecond.

Mira — September 19, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

Great recipe! Pinning!

1. Pingback: Zucchini Nutella Swirl Muffins | bella nutella

2. Pingback: Perfect Diner Pancakes with Sommer of A Spicy Perspective | Family Kitchen

3. Pingback: CSA Tales August 10th « Rycrafty

4. Pingback: Craving > Embrace Your Inner Zucchini: 5 Recipes You’ll Love | foodiecrush

5. Pingback: Wir packen es an: SuR- Stapel ungekochter Rezepte - Seite 9

6. Pingback: FOOD PORN DAILY - Seite 233

7. Pingback: Nutella Bread Pudding

8. Pingback: muffin-offenbarungen

9. Pingback: Muffins/Donuts by frannysal - Pearltrees

10. Pingback: Real Food by erinmarie - Pearltrees

11. Pingback: hiddenponies – Zucchini Muffins with “Nutella” Swirl

12. Pingback: Nutella Swirl Zucchini Muffins |

13. Pingback: Zucchini Cheddar Corn Muffins | Zucchini Muffin Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

14. Pingback: 100 Heavenly Nutella Recipes