Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins

Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins

Before there were cupcakes, there were muffins… Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins.

Muffins are such an unassuming little snack. They pose as just about anything… breakfast, dessert, companion to coffee. Muffins will be whatever you want them to be, and will do it with grace.

Popularity often dictates food culture, but don’t let the current trendiness of the modern cupcake tempt you to snub this sweet little treat. Don’t forget, in the late eighties and early nineties, muffins were all the rage. Remember the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and the muffin tops? Top of the muffin to you… Anyone?!? (I can hear crickets chirping in the silence.)

How to make Muffins

Muffins, as we know them, are a true American invention popping up in cookbooks in the early 1900s. Hearty and rustic, yet light and flavorful. They don’t need frosting, or any other ingredient to perfect them.

Muffins have the substance to stand alone.

I admit, this isn’t the most original flavor combination I’ve ever come up with, but it is definitely worth while. The classic duo of strawberry and rhubarb add marvelous flavor to these light and creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins. Just look at the dome on these babies!

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

Yogurt is one of my favorite baking ingredients because it provides a tart quality, like buttermilk, along with a moist, rich, creamy texture. A good muffin batter (in my opinion) should be thick enough of “hold” the berries and rhubarb in place, yet offer a moist tender crumb once baked.  This particular muffin recipe “takes the cake” and has become my favorite go-to recipe.

Simply mix your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Combine. Toss in the strawberries and rhubarb, and top with a little brown sugar before baking.

So easy to make an eight-year-old can do it. *smile*

Yield: 18-20 muffins

Cook Time: 12-14 minutes

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 Tb. to coat the berries
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tap. Salt
¼ cup butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt
½ tsp. almond extract
¾ cup chopped rhubarb (one large piece)
1 cup chopped strawberries
¼ cup brown sugar for the top

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and oil until smooth.
In a separate bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients. Add the egg, yogurt and almond extract to the sugar mixture and mix well. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture.

Add the chopped rhubarb and strawberries and lightly mix in.

Place paper muffin liner in your muffin tins. Use a ¼ cup scoop to fill the liners. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top of each muffin.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden on top.

74 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins”

Pierre — June 9, 2011 @ 6:03 am

Summer blisses! How I wish for that right now.

Nisrine M.. — June 9, 2011 @ 6:15 am

I like the bit of history on the muffins. They’re the cutest invention ever and I’m loving this version with fresh strawberries so much!!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — June 9, 2011 @ 6:48 am

These look great! And I love your muffin liners, so cute!

Emily @Cleanliness — June 9, 2011 @ 8:16 am

These are GREAT! IDK what’s cuter the little baker or the muffins?!?!

…Definitely the little baker :)

Susan — June 9, 2011 @ 8:51 am

I agree with you that a muffin recipe should have body enough to keep the additiona in their respective places within the muffin … this looks to be a good batter full of body! And why mess with a good thing when you have such a killer combo in strawberries and rhubarb? They look lovely! I especially love the photo of the berries and rhubarb behind the muffin on your picnic table! So rustic … and vivid!

Bethany — June 9, 2011 @ 9:29 am

oh YUM! now i just need to find some rhubarb down here in t-town …

Belinda @zomppa — June 9, 2011 @ 9:32 am

These are perfectly moist! I see why she is reaching!

Parsley Sage — June 9, 2011 @ 11:53 am

You know, I’d take a muffin over a cupcake any day. So good. Great tip with the yogurt too. I never knew :)

kankana — June 9, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I never baked with yogurt but it’s one thing that’s always there in my refrigerator. Got to try these cupcakes. :)

Rachel — June 9, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Yum!! Looks so good! We love strawberry muffins for breakfast-I bet the addition of the rhubarb would make them even better! Thanks!

Linda — June 9, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Those are gorgeous mufins! I’m a muffin top gal, breaking off the top and leaving the bottom! As you mentioned using yogurt instead of buttermilk, do you think yogurt could be substituted for buttermilk in recipes?

Jen — June 9, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Classics are a classic for a reason! They sounds heavenly.

Lynn — June 9, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Your muffins look very inviting. I have never cooked with rhubarb. I am feeling very alone in that in the food blogosphere these days!

Kate@Diethood.com — June 9, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

mmmm! Love me some strawberry/rhubarb combo! I like muffins better than cupcakes … is that weird? :)
    Your sous chef is gorgeous!!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — June 9, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I love that you can see the berries. You mentioned that the batter is thick enough they didn’t sink – that is so awesome! I have had blueberry muffins with all the blue in the bottom. This is a lovely recipe. Do you think it would be just as good with strawberries only? Beautiful photos – I’m drooling!

Maris (In Good Taste) — June 9, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

What an adorable helper you have to make these delicious muffins!

leslie — June 9, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Ohhh goodness..these are the perfect summer muffin!!

Caroline — June 9, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Mmm these muffins look and sound fantastic. Great photos! I’m a sucker for cute cupcake liners–your black and white ones are adorable.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — June 9, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Yummmm! I love that picture of your daughter reaching for a strawberry. :)

Liz — June 9, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

What a perfect reflection of Spring! Beautiful muffins! And your little helper is a doll :)

Laura — June 9, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Mmmm… I love new and great muffin recipes! And I love strawberry rhubarb, I’ll be making these for late night nursing cravings (even though they probably should just be for a treat!) – xo

Carolyn — June 9, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

I’ve never been that big on cupcakes, give me a muffin any day. Especially when they contain my fave, rhubarb!!!

elle marie — June 9, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

These are gorgeous! You know I’m in love with the damask liners too!

Aldy — June 9, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Oooh, CUTE! Lovely pic of your daughter and the muffins look absolutely tasty :)

Hugs,

Aldy.

Kathy - Panini Happy — June 9, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

These look outstanding, Sommer! I’ve got a whole bunch of strawberries in the kitchen just aching to be turned into these muffins. :-)

Jeanette — June 9, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Sommer, these strawberry rhubarb muffins look magnificent! Gorgeous photos too!

Priya Sreeram — June 9, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

wow- so summery & a delightful combo for the muffins !!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — June 10, 2011 @ 12:50 am

I think the muffin’s popularity needs to be revived too, I mean otherwise how can I eat cake for breakfast without feeling guilty about it ;-)

Hester Casey - Alchemy — June 10, 2011 @ 1:21 am

I think muffins got a bad name because of over-processing to where they were an oil-filled, synthetic-tasting fluffy pillow the size of your head. Yuk!

You have revived my faith in muffins. These look AMAZING and kinda HEALTHY, with two of my favourite summer flavours. Your young assistant is the cutest!

Kimberly (unrivaledkitch) — June 10, 2011 @ 3:15 am

these muffins are so pretty! I love the yogurt in them as well. what a lovely baking tip. wonderful photos!

Kristen — June 10, 2011 @ 5:43 am

I have yet to try rhubarb – can you believe that? But this looks quite yummy!

Angie's Recipes — June 10, 2011 @ 6:14 am

Those muffins look so appealing and delectable!

briarrose — June 10, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Gorgeous muffin. Wonderful job on these.

torviewtoronto — June 10, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

delicious looking colourful muffins looks wonderful Sommer

Karla @ The Culinary Enthusiast — June 10, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I usually don’t use rhubarb in my baking or cooking since the husband doesn’t prefer it (he also doesn’t like nuts or coconut–crazy man!) but these muffins are making me wish I had some rhubarb….then I could eat the whole yummy batch by myself! :) These look amazing!

Sara — June 10, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

I’m not a big cupcake fan. I am instead a muffin fan! I would totally forego a cupcake for a muffin. such a perfect treat. And strawberry and rhubarb….what a great combo!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 10, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

What a great helper in the kitchen! Love the addition of yogurt in these. They look moist and delicious!

Claudia — June 10, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Your daughter is even sweeteer than the strawberry! With four more stalks of rhubarb left,. can you see where I am going with this?

Nelly Rodriguez — June 10, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

The recipe seems delicious, but those pictures are gorgeous! :) Love how muffins dome on top!

Mark@SeasonWithSpice — June 11, 2011 @ 4:37 am

Hi Sommer,

Thanks for giving me a laugh. I just recalled the last scene when Newman is brought in to “clean up” the muffin stumps.

Looking at these muffins here, I wouldn’t mind being Newman for a day (minus the gut and the laugh)…

sweetlife — June 11, 2011 @ 9:28 am

great muffins and what a cute snap of your daughter..thanks for sharing

sweetlife

pachecopatty — June 11, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I am in the muffin fan camp and strawberry rhubarb are two of my favorites, these muffins look wonderful;-)

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) — June 11, 2011 @ 10:16 am

These look beautiful, and delicious! I’m intrigued with the almond extract…I love almond extract, and rhubarb, but have never tried it together! I’m betting it’s fabulous!

Susan — June 11, 2011 @ 10:41 am

I made the muffins today with fresh rhubarb from my garden. Delicious, with a very light texture and not too sweet. I guessed the oven temp. at 400F as I couldn’t see any temp. listed in the recipe. Could you confirm oven temp. for this recipe please!

• Sommer — June 12th, 2011 @ 8:18 am

So sorry Susan,

I’m posting while on our family vacation–must have “vacation brain” right now. I baked at 450* for 12-14 minutes.

Rumana Rawat — June 11, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Congrats… Awesome awesome and awesome:)

Sawsan@chef in disguise — June 11, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

Congrats on your top 9 :)
    Your daughter is charming :) and those muffins are a wonderful treat..love the face that you can eat them for breakfast..any day that starts with dessert is a perfect one in my book

Dmarie — June 11, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

I have never cooked with rhubarb before…love it when you make me branch out, Spicy! the muffins look oh, so tender and delish!

Jenn @Home is Where You Start From — June 11, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

I love muffins, they are so much better than cupcakes, which are almost always too sweet. A muffin can be made to be a bit more healthy, too. Thanks for sharing this, I have actually never baked with rhubarb, but I have been wanting to- this looks like a good first try with it.

Roxana GreenGirl — June 11, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Sommer, your muffins look amazing, love the addition of yogurt, keeping them moist longer
    and strawberry and rhubarb is such a delicious combo.
    thanks for sharing

carolinaheartstrings — June 12, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

What wonderful moist delicious looking muffins. Cannot wait to give this a try.

Lori Lynn — June 12, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I’ll take a muffin over a cupcake any day. You little helper is adorable, neat to see the next generation of Top Chef’s in action!
    LL

Monet — June 12, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

Muffins will always have my heart…I love the sound of these seasonal treats too. Strawberries are so good right now! Thank you for sharing another inspired recipe. I hope you have a wonderful start to your week. Hugs and love from Austin!

Tiffany — June 16, 2011 @ 8:04 am

These look so fluffy!

Fresh and Foodie — June 16, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Lovely recipe! I’m finally seeing a lot of rhubarb at the local markets (took long enough!), and I’d love to try these. Nice idea of using yogurt, too.

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 2, 2011 @ 2:23 am

Oh yum. These muffins look amazingly moist, love the flavors too :D Can’t wait to try. Stumbled.

Scrapbooking with PascaleA — July 2, 2011 @ 5:08 am

This looks soooo good… hm.. I wonder if I can find rhubarb here in Turkey…

Elizabeth — July 9, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

Just made these almost exactly to the recipe. Only change was swapping vanilla extract instead of almond, only b/c I didn’t have any almond. AMAZING!! I might eat all of them right now.

leslie — April 15, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

These are very yummy. I actually didnt have rhubard, but looked for a substitute for it. I was told a tart apple would work. And i had only coconut greek yogurt. These turned out awesome!!!!! too bad i burnt most of them though, i have to make another batch.

Crystal — May 7, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

Made these today….all I can saw is YUMMMM!!!

Mynda — May 25, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Made these for my family for dessert last night and my husband ate 4, this morning when I woke up (he had already gone to work) there were 3 more missing! He LOVES rhubarb!

Amanda D — August 25, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

I made these today, and they took longer than 12-14 mins (more like 20 mins.); I also used frozen rhubarb and fresh strawberries, and the muffins burned on the bottom :( Still yummy.

• Sommer — August 26th, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Hey Amanda, so sorry you had some issues with the muffins. It sounds to me like you may want to test out the temperature of your oven. I’d put a oven thermometer in it to check the general temperature. Then I’d move it around to different parts of the oven and see if you have hot spots.

• Vivian Ginder — May 9th, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Seems 450 degrees is too hot an oven?? Just my opinion…I’m going to try making these but cut back on the temp and bake them longer…maybe 375?

1. Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins « Hidden Ponies

2. Pingback: Farmer’s Market Friday: Rhubarb

3. Pingback: hiddenponies – Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

4. Pingback: Rabarberu sezonas receptes: Jogurta-rabarberu mafini | Tējtasīte

5. Pingback: Rabarberu sezonas receptes: Jogurta-rabarberu mafini « Tējtasīte

6. Pingback: Hidden Ponies – Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

7. Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins | nom nom naturally

8. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins | deliciously declassified

9. Pingback: Recipe: Strawberry-Rhubarb-Lemon-Yogurt Muffins | arlington darling

10. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins | A Mom of 2 Foodies