Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins

Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins

Before there were cupcakes, there were muffins… Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins.

Muffins are such an unassuming little snack. They pose as just about anything… breakfast, dessert, companion to coffee. Muffins will be whatever you want them to be, and will do it with grace.

Popularity often dictates food culture, but don’t let the current trendiness of the modern cupcake tempt you to snub this sweet little treat. Don’t forget, in the late eighties and early nineties, muffins were all the rage. Remember the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and the muffin tops? Top of the muffin to you… Anyone?!? (I can hear crickets chirping in the silence.)

How to make Muffins

Muffins, as we know them, are a true American invention popping up in cookbooks in the early 1900s. Hearty and rustic, yet light and flavorful. They don’t need frosting, or any other ingredient to perfect them.

Muffins have the substance to stand alone.

I admit, this isn’t the most original flavor combination I’ve ever come up with, but it is definitely worth while. The classic duo of strawberry and rhubarb add marvelous flavor to these light and creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins. Just look at the dome on these babies!

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

Yogurt is one of my favorite baking ingredients because it provides a tart quality, like buttermilk, along with a moist, rich, creamy texture. A good muffin batter (in my opinion) should be thick enough of “hold” the berries and rhubarb in place, yet offer a moist tender crumb once baked.  This particular muffin recipe “takes the cake” and has become my favorite go-to recipe.

Simply mix your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Combine. Toss in the strawberries and rhubarb, and top with a little brown sugar before baking.

So easy to make an eight-year-old can do it. *smile*

Yield: 18-20 muffins

Cook Time: 12-14 minutes

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 Tb. to coat the berries
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tap. Salt
¼ cup butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup plain yogurt
½ tsp. almond extract
¾ cup chopped rhubarb (one large piece)
1 cup chopped strawberries
¼ cup brown sugar for the top

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and oil until smooth.
In a separate bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients. Add the egg, yogurt and almond extract to the sugar mixture and mix well. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture.

Add the chopped rhubarb and strawberries and lightly mix in.

Place paper muffin liner in your muffin tins. Use a ¼ cup scoop to fill the liners. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top of each muffin.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden on top.

73 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins”

Lori Lynn — June 12, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I’ll take a muffin over a cupcake any day. You little helper is adorable, neat to see the next generation of Top Chef’s in action!
    LL

Monet — June 12, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

Muffins will always have my heart…I love the sound of these seasonal treats too. Strawberries are so good right now! Thank you for sharing another inspired recipe. I hope you have a wonderful start to your week. Hugs and love from Austin!

Tiffany — June 16, 2011 @ 8:04 am

These look so fluffy!

Fresh and Foodie — June 16, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Lovely recipe! I’m finally seeing a lot of rhubarb at the local markets (took long enough!), and I’d love to try these. Nice idea of using yogurt, too.

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 2, 2011 @ 2:23 am

Oh yum. These muffins look amazingly moist, love the flavors too :D Can’t wait to try. Stumbled.

Scrapbooking with PascaleA — July 2, 2011 @ 5:08 am

This looks soooo good… hm.. I wonder if I can find rhubarb here in Turkey…

Elizabeth — July 9, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

Just made these almost exactly to the recipe. Only change was swapping vanilla extract instead of almond, only b/c I didn’t have any almond. AMAZING!! I might eat all of them right now.

leslie — April 15, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

These are very yummy. I actually didnt have rhubard, but looked for a substitute for it. I was told a tart apple would work. And i had only coconut greek yogurt. These turned out awesome!!!!! too bad i burnt most of them though, i have to make another batch.

Crystal — May 7, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

Made these today….all I can saw is YUMMMM!!!

Mynda — May 25, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Made these for my family for dessert last night and my husband ate 4, this morning when I woke up (he had already gone to work) there were 3 more missing! He LOVES rhubarb!

Amanda D — August 25, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

I made these today, and they took longer than 12-14 mins (more like 20 mins.); I also used frozen rhubarb and fresh strawberries, and the muffins burned on the bottom :( Still yummy.

• Sommer — August 26th, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Hey Amanda, so sorry you had some issues with the muffins. It sounds to me like you may want to test out the temperature of your oven. I’d put a oven thermometer in it to check the general temperature. Then I’d move it around to different parts of the oven and see if you have hot spots.

1. Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins « Hidden Ponies

2. Pingback: Farmer’s Market Friday: Rhubarb

3. Pingback: hiddenponies – Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

4. Pingback: Rabarberu sezonas receptes: Jogurta-rabarberu mafini | Tējtasīte

5. Pingback: Rabarberu sezonas receptes: Jogurta-rabarberu mafini « Tējtasīte

6. Pingback: Hidden Ponies – Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

7. Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins | nom nom naturally

8. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins | deliciously declassified

9. Pingback: Recipe: Strawberry-Rhubarb-Lemon-Yogurt Muffins | arlington darling

10. Pingback: Strawberry Muffins | A Mom of 2 Foodies