celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo

Grilled Corn

Nothing says summer like corn on the cob on the grill. The sweet kernels bursting with crisp starchy juice, the little bits of charred skin, and the deep smokey flavor tastes of summer memories I long to relive.

Grilled corn is the perfect platform on which to experiment with flavors. Who says you have to stick with plain old butter?

Grilled Corn With Smokey Lime Mayo

Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo is a new favorite in our family. A gutzy blend of hot smoked paprika, lime zest and MAYONNAISE make for an unexpected treat. The rich creamy mayonnaise bonds the smokey paprika and lime to the corn and offers intense complexity. Who knew mayonnaise could make such a difference?!?

Grilling corn isn’t tricky, but it does seem to be something many people are afraid to try. Let’s discuss the dos and don’ts of corn on the cob on the grill.

How To Grill Corn

How to Grill Corn:

• Don’t worry about under-cooking. If your corn is fresh and “in season” it can be eaten raw. Warming it, should be your focus.
  • Do be mindful of overcooking. The longer you cook the corn, the more dry and rubbery it becomes.  Again, simply warm the corn.
  • Don’t worry about the husks. Leave them on, peel them back, or tear them off. All methods are acceptable.
  • Do try using the husks as a handle. As stated above, all methods are fine, but pulling the husks back and tying them together provides an attractive natural handle and allows the kernels to get a little char for appearance and flavor.
  • Don’t crank up the heat too much. Medium is fine to WARM the corn and provide a little color.
  • Do slather on the flavor while the corn in grilling. That gives it time to work its magic.
  • Don’t grill your corn too early. Corn hot off the grill tastes the best.
  • Do grill corn again and again. It’s aromatic, delicious, and a real crowd-pleaser.

For Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo:

Mix the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, honey, salt and hot smoked paprika in a bowl.

Corn On The Cob On The Grill

Place the corn on the cob on the grill with the husks hanging off and cook for 2 minutes. Rotate and brush with the smokey lime mayo until in has warmed and charred on all sides, 8-10 minutes.

Grilling Corn

ENJOY!

Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo

Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time:20 minutes

Cook Time:10 minutes

8-10 ears of corn, husked pulled back and tied with kitchen twine
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Zest of one lime
1 Tb. Lime juice
1 ½ Tb. honey
1 tsp. hot smoked paprika
½ tsp. salt

Prepare the grill to medium heat and prepare the corn cobs.

Combine the rest of the ingredient in a small bowl. Whisk well.

Place the corn on the grill with the husks hanging off.

Turn and brush the mayonnaise mixture on the corn until it is cooked on all sides, 8-10 minutes total.

Eat warm!

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

Grilled Corn On The Cob

This Recipe is Entered in “Get Grillin'” with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.

You May Also Like...

64 Responses to “Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo”

1. Maris (In Good taste)posted June 20, 2011 at 6:38 am

Craving this now!

2. jennifurlaposted June 20, 2011 at 8:39 am

To die for delightful, I must try.

3. Cookin' Canuckposted June 20, 2011 at 8:45 am

What a great post. Grilled corn has an amazing flavor and the smokey lime mayo sounds like perfect way to top it off.

4. A Canadian Foodieposted June 20, 2011 at 8:57 am

Sommer!
    So wonderful to catch your tweet this morning! I have so missed your inspirations! I have been suffering from a serious blogging slump and trying my best to get back to my daily reading rituals as I found them so inspirational… but, I am now so overwhelmed with how far behind I am… so, baby steps back.
    It is not yet corn season here, but this looks absolutely delicious. I adore Spanish Paprika and probably use it too much. I will definitely be making this recipe in a month or two when our corn starts rearing its ears around here!
    Hope you are happy and well!
    Valerie

5. PolaMposted June 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

What a great idea! I should do the rubbing/marinating before grilling more often!

6. Dmarieposted June 20, 2011 at 9:35 am

ooh, always wanted to know how to grill corn. thanks for this post, Spicy!

7. thepickyeater | a spoonful of yummposted June 20, 2011 at 10:05 am

wow !! the grilled corn looks so tempting :D that’s one of my fav indian streetfoods . never thought of the mayo part….great idea

8. Feast on the Cheapposted June 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

Love this! Just last weekend I made something sorta similar – grilled corn with an Old Bay-spiced butter garlic sauce. Rocked my world…

9. Mark@SeasonWithSpiceposted June 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

Hi Sommer,

Completely agree with your comment, Grilled corn is the perfect platform on which to experiment with flavors. Corn on the cob has always been one of my favorite summer foods, so I’ve been trying out spice blends to go with it. I posted one a few weeks back, but I like your idea of using mayo. I’ll give it a try, thanks.

10. Sanjeeta kkposted June 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

Awee..a heavenly treat for all corn lovers…love it..love it..am a BIG corn fan and this goes in my hall of fame :))

11. Tricia @ Saving room for dessertposted June 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

How did you know I needed a good reliable recipe to try for my first time grilling corn? My husband and I have been talking about doing this and my response was that I’d have to do some research. Thanks for making it easy for me and thanks for the recipe. I’ll give it a try. Yum!

12. Jasonposted June 20, 2011 at 11:31 am

Great Mayo recipe for the corn. Definitely will be trying this recipe once the corn stands start hitting the streets and I will probably top off the corn with a bit of crumbled cotija cheese.

13. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Dessertsposted June 20, 2011 at 11:53 am

This looks perfectly delicious! I hope fresh corn will be here in a couple weeks – we are waiting patiently. I am going to grill it for the first time this year, and this looks like a great way to try it!

14. Sawsan@chef in disguiseposted June 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I love the flavor combination you used..the mayo with paprika and lemon are a pairing made in heaven

15. carolinaheartstringsposted June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I have always wanted to try this, but was a little apprehensive. You make it look so easy and so delicious. I cannot wait to try your recipe. Thanks for posting this.

16. Angie's Recipesposted June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

You always come up with the most amazing recipes and practical tips! Thanks, Sommer!

17. Magic of Spiceposted June 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

We just grilled corn that we picked up from farmers market this weekend and it is always delightful :) Love the sound of this smokey lime mayo…will need to keep this in mind :)

18. nanascrivposted June 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I tried this corn and it is absolutely scrumptious. The surprise of lime and hot paprika is wonderful. I’m trying it again at my next dinner party.

19. Kate@Diethood.composted June 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

In Macedonia there are vendors in every corner grilling/selling grilled corn… it is by far the best street food ever!! I love this! Thanks for sharing your recipe – I have never tried the corn with all those extra fixins. :)

20. Gabrielle von Heykingposted June 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm

mmmhmhh that looks so good Sommer! :)

21. Lindaposted June 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm

“warm” the corn…wow, I will always remember that! I love learning the little bits of great advice! Thanks for sharing this, I’m looking forward to trying this out!

22. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom}posted June 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Wow! That looks fabulous! I have never tried grilling corn and it something that I have always wanted to do. It’s nice to know it isn’t too complicated.

23. Kathy - Panini Happyposted June 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Excellent do’s and don’t’s, Sommer! It’s settled – corn will be grilled at my house this weekend. :-)

24. Pachecopattyposted June 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm

The smoky lime mayo looks so beautiful on the fresh corn, I love your photos. I agree there’s nothing the matter with changing things up a bit especially when it comes to grilled corn- one of our Summer time favorites;-)

25. Celiaposted June 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Yesss. Thank you for posting this! My fam has been eating corn, like, twice a week. I adore it boiled and steamed and topped with butter, but…I’ve been itching to find a good grilling recipe. I cannot wait to try this out.

26. Lisa @ Tarte du Jourposted June 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm

We love summer corn and your spicier version looks wonderful! I’m definitely going to grill corn like this over the summer. Delicious!

27. Susanposted June 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Sommer! These look wonderful! I have never grilled corn, but you’ve sold me! Will definitely try once we have some local corn coming into the markets! Yum! Such a summertime treat!

28. Gwenposted June 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm

So lovely! It never fails to amaze me how beautiful natural foods can be. I think corn is my fav veggie to grill. I don’t like mayo but I think that this is a great trick and will try it next time I grill corn.

Does the mayo cook off so it’s not prevelant on the corn? I just don’t like the taste or texture but I used to spread a thin layer on my salmon after lime and seasoning to keep the flavor on and create a bit of a ‘crust’ when grilled.

• Sommer — June 20th, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

Gwen, it doesn’t cook off, but it’s definitely not overwhelming. I bet it wouldn’t bother you. :)

29. Karriann Grafposted June 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Gorgeous photography and I am seriously craving corn right now! Happy Grilling!

30. Lizposted June 20, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Oh, my…I am now seriously craving corn on the cob! Gorgeous photos as always!

31. Laura @ Family Spiceposted June 20, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Great tips! My husband has to read this as he is always charring the corn and then the kids won’t eat “the black stuff!”

32. LimeCakeposted June 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I just love the charred caramelised bits of grilled corn. Perfect summer food!

33. Ilkeposted June 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

The corns look so great and appetizing! I love the little redness going on.
    I always boil my corn because I feel like I will burn it very quickly on the grill. Guess next time, I will hand it over to the hubby with your instructions to take it to the grill :)

34. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted June 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Great tips! I love to use the husk as a natural handle, it looks so beautiful when presented that way.

35. Marlaposted June 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love all of your tips on grilling corn! You cover everything to perfection :) Thanks for adding this link to Get Grillin’

36. Raquel@Erecipe Free Nutrtional Calculatorposted June 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

this is new way of grilling corn…love to try this, mostly I only put butter on it.

37. Aldyposted June 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m a fan of corn and your lovely recipe is on my list to try now :) Wonderful tips, Sommer !

Great shots,

Aldy.

38. torviewtorontoposted June 20, 2011 at 9:17 pm

thank you for the tips delicious looking corn

39. Kristenposted June 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I can’t wait to give this a try – I love the mayo idea! We love grilled corn (or corn cooked just about any way, actually!)

40. Parsley Sageposted June 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

Holy cow that looks amazing! Thanks for the in-depth how to. Sometimes established bloggers forget there are newbies out there (like me) that need some tips like that. Thanks for sharing! Buzzed :)

41. RavieNomNomsposted June 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

I seriously love grilled corn, it might be one of my favorite things. Although, I really like anything on the grill so I might be slightly biased haha. Looks great!

42. stacyposted June 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

Ooooh! I can’t wait to try this…

43. Emily @Cleanlinessposted June 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

I make a similar grilled corn, but the addition of mayonnaise knocks it out of the park!

Well done :)

44. Shirleyposted June 21, 2011 at 11:26 am

We’re both on a corn kick! I love corn with lime. And yours are all photographed so beautifully.

45. elle marieposted June 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm

This looks so fantastic, corn on the cob says summer to me, do you think I can use a grill pan?

46. Devaki@weavethousandflavorsposted June 21, 2011 at 6:43 pm

What a great way to reinvent a summer clasic! Thanks SOMMER – This one is a must try :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

47. Katie@Cozydelciousposted June 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I usualy soak the corn in cold water for 30 minutes before grilling. It seems to keep it from getting too charred. I love this mayo – yum!

48. Jeanetteposted June 22, 2011 at 5:39 am

Sommer, what beautiful pics of grilled corn! Congrats on top 9!

49. Tiffanyposted June 22, 2011 at 6:00 am

The hot smoked paprika-corn combo sounds fantastic! I just made a harissa-cilantro grilled corn that I’ll be sharing with folks soon. I hope you check it out!

50. eileenposted June 22, 2011 at 6:27 am

I absolutely love grilled corn. Haven’t had it in sooo long. Never heard of the mayo sauce before but I love it. I can only imagine how delicious it is. Thanks for sharing!

51. Lori Lynnposted June 22, 2011 at 11:01 am

YAY for summer grilling!
    Congrats on T-9!
    LL

52. Rubyposted June 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Love your tips, especially about not over-cooking, and that mayo looks really intriguing. I have to say, though, that I usually eat grilled corn butt-naked (the corn, not me)! ;-)

53. sweetlifeposted June 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

love grilled corn, great tips!!

sweetlife

54. muppyposted June 22, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Yum, I love corn and these flavours sound delicious!

55. Cécyposted June 23, 2011 at 7:31 am

I’ve never grilled corn, but I might be tempted to do that this summer once it hits the farmer’s markets.

56. Connie @ Rookie Foodieposted June 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’m anxiously awaiting my first ear of corn! Can’t wait to try this version!

57. Pingback: What I want to eat this weekend « Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat

58. Marisaposted June 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh my goodness this is my favorite thing to make in the summer. I do something very similar! It really kicks up corn on the cob–which is already awesome on its own. Deliciousness overload.

59. Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Parisposted June 26, 2011 at 2:26 am

For some reason I will never understand it is not that easy to find good, fresh corn in Paris ( I guess it is because the French are not particularly fond of corn on the cob) so now I have a terrible craving and you are to blame ;D
    I loved this!!!!!!!!

60. A Little Yumminessposted June 26, 2011 at 9:08 pm

We love summer corn and I love this recipe. We grill ours and rub it with lime and then a mixture of chilli powder, salt and pepper////

61. Pingback: Terrific Two Cent Tuesday « All I Eat Food!

62. Pingback: Grill corn time | Greatidaho

63. RisaGposted September 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I started doing something similar this summer. Mixing mayo with seasonings, rubbing it on the corn, cooking it and then rubbing it in parmesan cheese. Or cotija cheese. Or sprinkling it with Queso Fresco or Feta Cheese. It is so good, With butter, salt and pepper is wonderful at times but with mayo, chile and cheese it is even better. Lime makes it incredible.