Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo

Grilled Corn

Nothing says summer like corn on the cob on the grill. The sweet kernels bursting with crisp starchy juice, the little bits of charred skin, and the deep smokey flavor tastes of summer memories I long to relive.

Grilled corn is the perfect platform on which to experiment with flavors. Who says you have to stick with plain old butter?

Grilled Corn With Smokey Lime Mayo

Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo is a new favorite in our family. A gutzy blend of hot smoked paprika, lime zest and MAYONNAISE make for an unexpected treat. The rich creamy mayonnaise bonds the smokey paprika and lime to the corn and offers intense complexity. Who knew mayonnaise could make such a difference?!?

Grilling corn isn’t tricky, but it does seem to be something many people are afraid to try. Let’s discuss the dos and don’ts of corn on the cob on the grill.

How To Grill Corn

How to Grill Corn:

• Don’t worry about under-cooking. If your corn is fresh and “in season” it can be eaten raw. Warming it, should be your focus.
  • Do be mindful of overcooking. The longer you cook the corn, the more dry and rubbery it becomes.  Again, simply warm the corn.
  • Don’t worry about the husks. Leave them on, peel them back, or tear them off. All methods are acceptable.
  • Do try using the husks as a handle. As stated above, all methods are fine, but pulling the husks back and tying them together provides an attractive natural handle and allows the kernels to get a little char for appearance and flavor.
  • Don’t crank up the heat too much. Medium is fine to WARM the corn and provide a little color.
  • Do slather on the flavor while the corn in grilling. That gives it time to work its magic.
  • Don’t grill your corn too early. Corn hot off the grill tastes the best.
  • Do grill corn again and again. It’s aromatic, delicious, and a real crowd-pleaser.

For Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo:

Mix the mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, honey, salt and hot smoked paprika in a bowl.

Corn On The Cob On The Grill

Place the corn on the cob on the grill with the husks hanging off and cook for 2 minutes. Rotate and brush with the smokey lime mayo until in has warmed and charred on all sides, 8-10 minutes.

Grilling Corn

ENJOY!

Yield: 8 servings

Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo

8-10 ears of corn, husked pulled back and tied with kitchen twine
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Zest of one lime
1 Tb. Lime juice
1 ½ Tb. honey
1 tsp. hot smoked paprika
½ tsp. salt

Prepare the grill to medium heat and prepare the corn cobs.

Combine the rest of the ingredient in a small bowl. Whisk well.

Place the corn on the grill with the husks hanging off.

Turn and brush the mayonnaise mixture on the corn until it is cooked on all sides, 8-10 minutes total.

Eat warm!

Grilled Corn On The Cob

This Recipe is Entered in “Get Grillin'” with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.

64 Responses to “Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo”

Lori Lynn — June 22, 2011 @ 11:01 am

YAY for summer grilling!
    Congrats on T-9!
    LL

Ruby — June 22, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

Love your tips, especially about not over-cooking, and that mayo looks really intriguing. I have to say, though, that I usually eat grilled corn butt-naked (the corn, not me)! ;-)

sweetlife — June 22, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

love grilled corn, great tips!!

sweetlife

muppy — June 22, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

Yum, I love corn and these flavours sound delicious!

Cécy — June 23, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I’ve never grilled corn, but I might be tempted to do that this summer once it hits the farmer’s markets.

Connie @ Rookie Foodie — June 23, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

I’m anxiously awaiting my first ear of corn! Can’t wait to try this version!

Marisa — June 24, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Oh my goodness this is my favorite thing to make in the summer. I do something very similar! It really kicks up corn on the cob–which is already awesome on its own. Deliciousness overload.

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — June 26, 2011 @ 2:26 am

For some reason I will never understand it is not that easy to find good, fresh corn in Paris ( I guess it is because the French are not particularly fond of corn on the cob) so now I have a terrible craving and you are to blame ;D
    I loved this!!!!!!!!

A Little Yumminess — June 26, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

We love summer corn and I love this recipe. We grill ours and rub it with lime and then a mixture of chilli powder, salt and pepper////

RisaG — September 27, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

I started doing something similar this summer. Mixing mayo with seasonings, rubbing it on the corn, cooking it and then rubbing it in parmesan cheese. Or cotija cheese. Or sprinkling it with Queso Fresco or Feta Cheese. It is so good, With butter, salt and pepper is wonderful at times but with mayo, chile and cheese it is even better. Lime makes it incredible.

1. Pingback: What I want to eat this weekend « Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat

2. Pingback: Terrific Two Cent Tuesday « All I Eat Food!

3. Pingback: Grill corn time | Greatidaho