Fresh Strawberry Pistachio Crumble

When you’re out in the berry patch, drinking in the sun, watching your littles blissfully bound down the aisles searching for the perfect berry, tasting warm strawberries straight off the vine with sweet juice dripping down your chin… you don’t think about the size of your fridge.

This happens to me several times a year. We go to the farm and come home with WAY more than we could possibly use in one week.  So what do you do with the five gallons on strawberries your babies bring to you? Here’s what I did..

First I separated them into three piles: SUPER-RIPE bake now or freeze, RIPE use within the next couple days, ALMOST-RIPE use within a week.

I put most of the super-ripe strawberries in the freezer for smoothies and post-season baking.

Then I used some of the super-ripe strawberries for Strawberry Basil Italian Ice to keep in the freezer for late night sugar cravings.

The next day I put the ripe berries and some of the slightly under ripe strawberries in spicy Strawberry Chipotle Jam.

And finally I made a lovely, LOVELY Strawberry Pistachio Crumble for my family to enjoy after dinner.

Classic, yet unique bakeware from Villeroy & Boch.

There are many varieties of baked fruit desserts. Most of them, at one point or another, have been mistaken for “cobbler.” Variations and names tend to be regional. If you like to bake, it’s worth getting familiar with them.

Cobbler~ Baked fruit with a rolled crust made of pie crust or cookie dough.

Buckle~ Fruit with cake batter poured over the top before baking.

Crisp~Baked Fruit topped with a “rubbed” crumb top usually consisting of butter, sugar, and flour.

Crumble~ Similar to a crisp with the addition of oats.

Grunt/Slump~ Baked Fruit topped with biscuit dough, that is then covered so that the biscuit steams instead of bakes.

Brown Betty~ Baked fruit topped with buttered bread or cake that has been crumbled.

Today I’m serving you a crumble, named for it’s crumbled oat top. I personally prefer crumbles to most other types of “cobbler”, because of texture and the way the topping breaks apart when you spoon it out into a bowls.

Here I’ve simply combined fresh cut strawberries with a little lemon, sugar, cornstarch for thickening, and a touch of Chambord. I’ve been using quite a bit of Chambord lately because I have in nice sized bottle of it and find it adds such depth to everything it graces. In this dish, the Chambord doesn’t cover, but accentuates the strawberries. I’ve made this same crumble with Bourbon as well. It was just as lovely, but the Chambord does have a way of drawing out the “berrieness” of the strawberries.

For the top I’ve combined a simple oat, flour and butter mixture with chopped roasted pistachios. The salty nutty essence of the pistachios is a great way to balance out the acidity of the strawberry filling.

Crumble: hot or cold?  Although its tempting to eat a crumble right out of the oven, I don’t advise it.

One, the sauce needs time to cool and thicken so it holds together. Two, in my opinion, hot berries taste overly acidic. I like to eat baked fruit desserts at room temperature. The flavors of the strawberries, Chambord and pistachios really shine, when it’s not too hot or too cold.

Yield: 8 servings

Strawberry Pistachio Crumble

For the Filling:
4 lbs, strawberries, stems removed and halved
Zest of 1 lemon
3 Tb. Chambord (raspberry liquor) or Bourbon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
3 Tb. Cornstarch

For the Topping:
1 cup of self-rising flour (or AP flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
1 cup rolled oats
1 ½ cup chopped roasted pistachios
2/3 cup sugar
¾ cup butter, cut into cubes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 9X13 inch baking dish, mix the strawberries with the following five ingredients. Spread the berries out evenly.

Using a dough blending tool (or your hands) mix the ingredients for the topping until the butter is well combined, but the mixture is still crumbly.

Spoon the topping over the fruit and bake for 40-50 minutes—until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden.

Allow plenty of time for the crumble to cool before serving.

More Strawberry Treats:

Strawberry Yogurt Cake

Mixed Berry Crostata

Strawberry and Cornmeal Shortcakes

78 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Pistachio Crumble”

Tiffany — May 20, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Oh, thanks for the vocab lesson! I totally never knew the difference between all of these terms! This crumble looks super tasty!

marla — May 20, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Such a delightful summery crumble. Wish I had some today :)

Kristen — May 20, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Pistachios don’t get enough use in my house. That may be because my sons devour them as soon as the nuts come in the house. I love the idea of putting them in a strawberry dessert.

Who did you use to help you set up this new site? I am looking for help with my wordpress move.

Pudding Pie Lane — May 20, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Wow I’ve never tried steamed biscuit before! That sounds amazing!

Lana @ Never enough Thyme — May 20, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I love any kind of cobbler/crumble/slump. As long as it has hot fruit and a topping – I’m good. Particularly like your use of pistachios! Very creative.

Sara — May 20, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

A crumble. That’s what I haven’t made in a long time. And with the fresh strawberries at the market I just need to make it! Thanks for the inspiration

Eileen — May 20, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

I like the sounds of this dessert… I know I’ve probably asked this before, but do you deliver? Have a great weekend!

sweetlife — May 21, 2011 @ 6:46 am

strawberries are at their best adn I have not had a crumble in forever!! thanks for sharing

sweetlife

Nana — May 21, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

I made the crumble today, it is so yummy. Thanks for the suggestion and so easy to make.

blackbookkitchendiaries — May 21, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

this sounds so gooood!! love anything crumble and with a killer combo like this, who could resist?

Katarina — May 22, 2011 @ 4:08 am

So yummy!

Gwen~healthymamma — May 22, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Oh my gosh! I didn’t even realize I was bouncing in my seat and giggling until my husband peeked over my shoulder to see what had me so excited. ;)
    This is hands down my fav recipe and post I’ve seen ever. Pistachios and strawberry’s?!! Genious!
    I am so jealous…. I mean happy for you that you have the opportunity to go strawberry picking and come home w more than you know what to do with. I’d be in heaven. I don’t think there are any strawberry patches here in Phoenix, but I’ll have to look into it just in case!
    Very,very nice tips on how to use up those blesseed berries. I am going to have to check into that Italian ice recipe too.

Monet — May 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

When I saw the title of this post…I knew I would fall in love. These flavors sound amazing together! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful recipe with me. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. You and your sweet blog always makes me smile.

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — May 23, 2011 @ 12:41 am

I’m having breakfast while reading this post…Can you ship a bowl???
    Thanks!!

Greenderella — May 23, 2011 @ 2:04 am

What a great combination!!! Looks delicious! :)

Joy — May 24, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

The crumble looks wonderful.

Tina@flourtrader — May 25, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Chambord, strawberries and pistachios- super combo. Wish I had been there for the strawberry fest, but I am happy just to get this recipe!

Steve @ HPD — May 25, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

You’ve seen this before, yeah?

• Sommer — May 25th, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Good link! No, I’ve got all sort of definition pages in the back of a really old cookbook. :)

Marly — May 26, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Looks lovely and what a great idea to include pistachios. Yumm!

Alessio — June 5, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Nice crumble! I loved the list of the various types of cobblers you made, now I just need to get my hands on one of each to choose my fav :D

Megan's Cookin' — June 16, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Now I want to go out and buy 5 pounds of strawberries. Your crumble looks incredible and that Chipotle jam and Italian Ice sounds enticing. Great post

marla — June 8, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Crisps, crumbles, cobblers ~ love them all. The pistachios are a great idea!

1. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Pistachio Crumble — Villeroy & Boch Blog