Fresh Strawberry Pistachio Crumble

When you’re out in the berry patch, drinking in the sun, watching your littles blissfully bound down the aisles searching for the perfect berry, tasting warm strawberries straight off the vine with sweet juice dripping down your chin… you don’t think about the size of your fridge.

This happens to me several times a year. We go to the farm and come home with WAY more than we could possibly use in one week.  So what do you do with the five gallons on strawberries your babies bring to you? Here’s what I did..

First I separated them into three piles: SUPER-RIPE bake now or freeze, RIPE use within the next couple days, ALMOST-RIPE use within a week.

I put most of the super-ripe strawberries in the freezer for smoothies and post-season baking.

Then I used some of the super-ripe strawberries for Strawberry Basil Italian Ice to keep in the freezer for late night sugar cravings.

The next day I put the ripe berries and some of the slightly under ripe strawberries in spicy Strawberry Chipotle Jam.

And finally I made a lovely, LOVELY Strawberry Pistachio Crumble for my family to enjoy after dinner.

Classic, yet unique bakeware from Villeroy & Boch.

There are many varieties of baked fruit desserts. Most of them, at one point or another, have been mistaken for “cobbler.” Variations and names tend to be regional. If you like to bake, it’s worth getting familiar with them.

Cobbler~ Baked fruit with a rolled crust made of pie crust or cookie dough.

Buckle~ Fruit with cake batter poured over the top before baking.

Crisp~Baked Fruit topped with a “rubbed” crumb top usually consisting of butter, sugar, and flour.

Crumble~ Similar to a crisp with the addition of oats.

Grunt/Slump~ Baked Fruit topped with biscuit dough, that is then covered so that the biscuit steams instead of bakes.

Brown Betty~ Baked fruit topped with buttered bread or cake that has been crumbled.

Today I’m serving you a crumble, named for it’s crumbled oat top. I personally prefer crumbles to most other types of “cobbler”, because of texture and the way the topping breaks apart when you spoon it out into a bowls.

Here I’ve simply combined fresh cut strawberries with a little lemon, sugar, cornstarch for thickening, and a touch of Chambord. I’ve been using quite a bit of Chambord lately because I have in nice sized bottle of it and find it adds such depth to everything it graces. In this dish, the Chambord doesn’t cover, but accentuates the strawberries. I’ve made this same crumble with Bourbon as well. It was just as lovely, but the Chambord does have a way of drawing out the “berrieness” of the strawberries.

For the top I’ve combined a simple oat, flour and butter mixture with chopped roasted pistachios. The salty nutty essence of the pistachios is a great way to balance out the acidity of the strawberry filling.

Crumble: hot or cold?  Although its tempting to eat a crumble right out of the oven, I don’t advise it.

One, the sauce needs time to cool and thicken so it holds together. Two, in my opinion, hot berries taste overly acidic. I like to eat baked fruit desserts at room temperature. The flavors of the strawberries, Chambord and pistachios really shine, when it’s not too hot or too cold.

Yield: 8 servings

Strawberry Pistachio Crumble

For the Filling:
4 lbs, strawberries, stems removed and halved
Zest of 1 lemon
3 Tb. Chambord (raspberry liquor) or Bourbon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup sugar
3 Tb. Cornstarch

For the Topping:
1 cup of self-rising flour (or AP flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
1 cup rolled oats
1 ½ cup chopped roasted pistachios
2/3 cup sugar
¾ cup butter, cut into cubes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a 9X13 inch baking dish, mix the strawberries with the following five ingredients. Spread the berries out evenly.

Using a dough blending tool (or your hands) mix the ingredients for the topping until the butter is well combined, but the mixture is still crumbly.

Spoon the topping over the fruit and bake for 40-50 minutes—until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden.

Allow plenty of time for the crumble to cool before serving.

More Strawberry Treats:

Strawberry Yogurt Cake

Mixed Berry Crostata

Strawberry and Cornmeal Shortcakes

78 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Pistachio Crumble”

Belinda @zomppa — May 18, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Oh happy strawberries!! I’d like to raid your fridge. That’s for the lingo clarification – all of them sound good!

Winnie — May 18, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

Yum! Looking forward to meeting you this weekend!

Cookin' Canuck — May 18, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

Strawberries and pistachios are a great pairing and this is the perfect dessert to welcome spring.

Rivki Locker (Ordimary Blogger) — May 18, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

So funny! I do just the same thing! We pick WAY too many strawberries and can never find enough uses for them (although each of my kds could probably eat an entire flat in one sitting…if I let them). This recipe looks great. I’ve never paired strawberries with pistachios. Can’t wait to try!

Kate@Diethood.com — May 18, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

I love me some boozy desserts!! Especially when that dessert is made with strawberries!

I also pick/buy too many strawberries at once…right now I have them separated between two fridges, one freezer, and a fruit bowl in my kitchen. :/

Nisrine M. — May 18, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

Cobblers are truly special desserts, so simple and delicious. This one is temptingly beautiful, Sommer!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — May 18, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Love this flavor combination and what beautiful photos. If it weren’t 9:15p and if I only had strawberries…I might be in the kitchen now.

kurinji — May 18, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Yum yum yummy dish!
    Kurinjikathambam

Reese&Mark@SeasonWithSpice — May 18, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

What do you do with five gallons of leftover strawberries? Put them in a box and Fedex it to Mark&Reese@Penang, Malaysia. We’ll trade you five gallons of fresh rambutan and nutmeg.

kankana — May 18, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

These days I am seeing one after another amazing strawberry recipes and you have given it back to back. This looks like a perfect lazy weekend breakfast to me :)

Angie's Recipes — May 18, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

What a great crumble recipe! Beautiful pairing of pistachios and strawberries.

elle marie — May 18, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

OH darn gosh.. it’s all about the crumble, at least for me.. I’m a crust, crumble girl.. heck I’ll even skip an entire muffin and only eat the crumble on top… but now that you are talking pistachios.. heck I think I’d dive right in to the entire dish!

Sook — May 19, 2011 @ 12:27 am

I LOVE STRAWBERRIES! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 19, 2011 @ 12:32 am

I’m a crisp or crumble kind of girl myself, I love the texture of the topping. I only wish I had your excess strawberry problem!

Pierre — May 19, 2011 @ 1:59 am

Fresh vibrant red strawberries and earthy pistachio, two reasons why it’s nice to live on earth.
    That must have taste and smell soooo good!

Sawsan@chef in disguise — May 19, 2011 @ 2:08 am

That is one stunning crumble!
    I just might buy some strawberries on my way home to make this oveer the weekend..
    thabk you for sharing

Valerie — May 19, 2011 @ 2:27 am

That look delicious! I made one a few days ago, it was really good, it was different to yours, i have to try it!

Maris(In Good Taste) — May 19, 2011 @ 2:39 am

Loved reading the different definitions,Found that very interesting. This is a beautiful crumble and I will bookmark it!
    l

Shelby — May 19, 2011 @ 3:51 am

Looks delicious! I have been on a pistachio kick myself lately….but only with eating them. lol. :)

Liz — May 19, 2011 @ 4:20 am

Oh, WOW! I’m anxiously waiting the Indiana strawberries to ripen…I think they need some sun…not rain!!! What a fabulous crumble…I have never made a cooked strawberry dessert, but after viewing your photos, I think this is the year! Beautiful, Sommer!

Nelly Rodriguez — May 19, 2011 @ 5:58 am

this looks gorgeous…and love the helping hand! too cute!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos — May 19, 2011 @ 6:03 am

i’ve been obsessed with strawberries lately too on my blog! hahahaha. this is beautiful and scrumptious at the same time.never thought about combing them with pistachio! it’s a nut that i have yet to bake with!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 19, 2011 @ 7:04 am

How unique to put pistachios in the crumble–looks delicious!

Melissa — May 19, 2011 @ 7:27 am

Ok, so first I saw this, but as I was pressing “keep reading” my eyes had already strayed to the strawberry chipotle jam. Last week, I made strawberry-rhubarb muffins and yesterday, strawberry pancakes. Do I strawberry fever?? Should I get treated?! Thanks for more great ideas.

Kate — May 19, 2011 @ 7:31 am

This is heavenly looking. I love the vibrant red color and the incorporation of the pistachios into the crumble. Definitely will be bookmarking this!

Yuri — May 19, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Strawberries + pistachios + crumble with ice cream on the side? Yes please :)

The Mistress of Spices — May 19, 2011 @ 8:14 am

This sounds and looks amazing! Lucky you to have access to a berry patch! We are seeing all kinds of lovely strawberries here now though so it would be great to make something like this. I love the addition of pistachio too!

Roxan — May 19, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Wow, I didn’t know that there are so many different names for baked fruit! I can say that I do love them all though. This crumble looks amazing. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and pistachios are hands down my favorite nut.

Megan @ Pip and Ebby — May 19, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Deliicious!! Great photos, too!

Feast on the Cheap — May 19, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I mean…this looks incredible!

Joyti — May 19, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Yum! That sounds absolutely delicious. And what a great way to use some spring.summer fruit!

Tricia B — May 19, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Beautiful! I love cobblers and bet this is great. You’ve got me thinking about Chambord and may add it to my pie this weekend. Does it thicken at all and evaporate? Just wondering about adjusting the thickening ingredients. Gallons of berries – awesome!

Aimee — May 19, 2011 @ 10:28 am

That looks beautiful and delicious!

melissa@IWasBornToCook — May 19, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Looks delicious! I love pistachios…they look terrific in this dish.

Amy @ Gastronome Tart — May 19, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Oh, wow! Speechless! I could go for these. Love the strawberries and pistachio combo!

Mindy@whiskibusiness — May 19, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I love pistachios. I love strawberries. Put them together <3 !!! Fabulous as usual Sommer!!

Biren @ Roti n Rice — May 19, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Nice pairing of strawberries and pistachios! You are making me crave for one of these baked fruit desserts.

Claire — May 19, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

This is FREAKING gorgeous!!!

Linda — May 19, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

I’d love to be faced with having way too many strawberries! I like how you very smartly dealt with that and this crumble is amazing! Love the combination of pistachios and strawberries.

Dmarie — May 19, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

oh, why, oh why didn’t I get on the computer quicker today? A neighbor gifted me with strawberries just this morn, but I immediately mashed them up for ice cream. Your crumble sounds like a better idea. love that you used chambord in it. Will def have to try this. thanks, Spicy!

carolinaheartstrings — May 19, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

We are making great use of our strawberries! This looks just fantastic. I cannot wait to try this out.

pachecopatty — May 19, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

I like the pistachios in your crumble and I have to get a large bottle of Chambord myself!
    Still waiting for those super sweet strawberries to arrive in the market, though;-)

Priya Sreeram — May 19, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

the crumble looks superbbbbbb ~! delicious clicks

Claudia — May 19, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

Would you believe I have everything except the strawberries. They come in early July. This is a celebration post of the most wonderful berry!

Erin — May 19, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

This looks amazing! I love a good crumble, then you add the booze – sooooo good!

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 19, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

Pistachios and strawberries must make a great combination! Strawberries are my favorite so I will be giving this a try. Also loved the definitions I had no idea and I’m sure I’ve been using them all wrong!

Deeba — May 20, 2011 @ 4:27 am

Absolutely ah-mazing! Love the colours and the flavours! Mmmmmm

5 Star Foodie — May 20, 2011 @ 6:39 am

Yum! I like the addition of pistachios here. I’ve got so many strawberries right now, would love to make this!

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour — May 20, 2011 @ 6:59 am

Nothing beets a soul warming crumble! This crumble topping looks fabulous. I’m anxious to try it on other fruit as well. Strawberry season is coming to a close down here in Florida:(

April — May 20, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I remember you loving the strawberry pie but hating the goo. Perfect solution.

Tiffany — May 20, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Oh, thanks for the vocab lesson! I totally never knew the difference between all of these terms! This crumble looks super tasty!

marla — May 20, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Such a delightful summery crumble. Wish I had some today :)

Kristen — May 20, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Pistachios don’t get enough use in my house. That may be because my sons devour them as soon as the nuts come in the house. I love the idea of putting them in a strawberry dessert.

Who did you use to help you set up this new site? I am looking for help with my wordpress move.

Pudding Pie Lane — May 20, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Wow I’ve never tried steamed biscuit before! That sounds amazing!

Lana @ Never enough Thyme — May 20, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I love any kind of cobbler/crumble/slump. As long as it has hot fruit and a topping – I’m good. Particularly like your use of pistachios! Very creative.

Sara — May 20, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

A crumble. That’s what I haven’t made in a long time. And with the fresh strawberries at the market I just need to make it! Thanks for the inspiration

Eileen — May 20, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

I like the sounds of this dessert… I know I’ve probably asked this before, but do you deliver? Have a great weekend!

sweetlife — May 21, 2011 @ 6:46 am

strawberries are at their best adn I have not had a crumble in forever!! thanks for sharing

sweetlife

Nana — May 21, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

I made the crumble today, it is so yummy. Thanks for the suggestion and so easy to make.

blackbookkitchendiaries — May 21, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

this sounds so gooood!! love anything crumble and with a killer combo like this, who could resist?

Katarina — May 22, 2011 @ 4:08 am

So yummy!

Gwen~healthymamma — May 22, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Oh my gosh! I didn’t even realize I was bouncing in my seat and giggling until my husband peeked over my shoulder to see what had me so excited. ;)
    This is hands down my fav recipe and post I’ve seen ever. Pistachios and strawberry’s?!! Genious!
    I am so jealous…. I mean happy for you that you have the opportunity to go strawberry picking and come home w more than you know what to do with. I’d be in heaven. I don’t think there are any strawberry patches here in Phoenix, but I’ll have to look into it just in case!
    Very,very nice tips on how to use up those blesseed berries. I am going to have to check into that Italian ice recipe too.

Monet — May 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

When I saw the title of this post…I knew I would fall in love. These flavors sound amazing together! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful recipe with me. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. You and your sweet blog always makes me smile.

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — May 23, 2011 @ 12:41 am

I’m having breakfast while reading this post…Can you ship a bowl???
    Thanks!!

Greenderella — May 23, 2011 @ 2:04 am

What a great combination!!! Looks delicious! :)

Joy — May 24, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

The crumble looks wonderful.

Tina@flourtrader — May 25, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Chambord, strawberries and pistachios- super combo. Wish I had been there for the strawberry fest, but I am happy just to get this recipe!

Steve @ HPD — May 25, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

You’ve seen this before, yeah?

• Sommer — May 25th, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Good link! No, I’ve got all sort of definition pages in the back of a really old cookbook. :)

Marly — May 26, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Looks lovely and what a great idea to include pistachios. Yumm!

Alessio — June 5, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Nice crumble! I loved the list of the various types of cobblers you made, now I just need to get my hands on one of each to choose my fav :D

Megan's Cookin' — June 16, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Now I want to go out and buy 5 pounds of strawberries. Your crumble looks incredible and that Chipotle jam and Italian Ice sounds enticing. Great post

marla — June 8, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Crisps, crumbles, cobblers ~ love them all. The pistachios are a great idea!

1. Pingback: Fresh Strawberry Pistachio Crumble — Villeroy & Boch Blog