Bacon & Nutella Napoleons

Bacon Desserts; they’re trendy right now. Actually “trendy” isn’t quite strong enough to describe the impact of pork fat and sugar on food culture. It’s literally EVERYWHERE. Donuts served with bacon on top, chocolate covered b-stripscandied bacon, pork fat ice cream, deep fried twinkies stuffed with you-know-what, maple bacon martinis, chocolate chip piggy cookies, porky bread pudding… I could go on. The fact is, when Denny’s is advertising Maple Bacon Ice Cream Sundaes you know it’s become an over-the-top pop-culture phenomenon.

Usually, I rebel against this sort of thing. Not pork fat. Or sweets for that matter, I’m a fan of both. I simply rebel against trendy things. I can’t exactly tell you why, maybe it has to do with the old question mom and pop embedded deep in my psyche, “So if your friends decide to jump off a cliff, would you jump too?”

If all my friends are wearing platform shoes, I refuse. If everyone is watching a certain show on TV, I’m entirely disinterested.  If all the bakers are making French macaroons, for some unknown reason I cross my arms in protest. Don’t I like French macaroons? Of course I do… it’s the principle of the matter. *wink*

But I have thoroughly and completely given into this Bacon Dessert craze. Dreams of salty pork fat dripping with chocolate flood my mind and suddenly, I could care less if everyone else is doing it.

If my friends jumped off a cliff into a boiling river of Nutella with shards of bacon drifting through, would I jump too? Yes. Yes I would. Emphatically, YES.

After all, bacon does make everything better, and so does Nutella. So how could this be wrong?

This little creation is almost too easy to make. Dangerously easy. It involves three stand-alone ingredients that when put together have a dark power~Bacon, Nutella, and Pound Cake.

Make sure to prepare these with friends (AKA accountability partners) around or you WILL eat the entire tray!

To Prepare:

Sizzle up some strips and drain on a paper towel. Slice a pound cake into 1/4 inch slices. Then use a cookie cutter to cut small circles of cake.

Place some Nutella in a piping bag (or plastic bag with the corner snipped off) and layer the pound cake, Nutella and b-strips.

Drizzle a little extra Nutella on top and sprinkle with a touch of sea salt.

Yield: 20

Bacon & Nutella Napoleons

1 lb. bacon
1 pound cake
1 jar of Nutella
Sea salt

Cut the strips of bacon into quarters. Sizzle in a skillet until reddish-brown and mostly crisp.

Cut a pound cake into 1/4 inch slices. Then use a 1 - 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut small circles of cake. You end up with about 60-70 circles, depending on the size of your pound cake.

Place some Nutella in a piping bag (or plastic bag with the corner snipped off) and layer the pound cake, Nutella and b-strips, three pound cake slices high.

Drizzle a little extra Nutella on top and sprinkle with a touch of sea salt.

Got a favorite porky treat? I’d love to hear about it!

68 Responses to “Bacon & Nutella Napoleons”

Nelly Rodriguez — April 28, 2011 @ 7:05 am

I am speechless. I want that for breakfast!

Belinda @zomppa — April 28, 2011 @ 7:16 am

I say not a trend…a classic! What a gorgeous presentation – that poundcake…great way to raise the elegance level at any party.

claudia lamascolo — April 28, 2011 @ 8:24 am

These look awesome!~

Jennifurla — April 28, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Thos are so adorable and I LOVE your presentation.

RavieNomNoms — April 28, 2011 @ 8:32 am

I am the same way! I love to break tradition and I don’t like to follow the norms…however, the bacon in the desserts is something I am so glad you caved with. I think your play on this new fad is just perfect! First off, pound cake just reminds me of spring time and strawberries. My mom always use to serve pound cake with whipped cream and fresh summer strawberries when I was little. Secondly, Nutella is a new love for me, I just discovered how much I love it this year…and man was I missing out before!! YUM! Thirdly, who doesn’t love bacon?! I mean, really.

This is just so creative! Thank you so much for sharing it!

lindsey@lindselicious — April 28, 2011 @ 8:38 am

What a nice presentation and I love how easy and simple it is! This might just have to be dessert Friday night when the girls come over. =) Love it.

Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen — April 28, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Yum, like a BLT sandwich, with nutella :) I love it!

Dan — April 28, 2011 @ 8:55 am

These look excellent! Wow.

Chris and Amy — April 28, 2011 @ 9:53 am

While it’s true that bacon is “trendy,” who doesn’t love bacon?!?! These look amazing!

Maris (In Good Taste) — April 28, 2011 @ 9:56 am

These look absolutely amazing and I would be in that vat right behind you!

Devaki@weavethousandflavors — April 28, 2011 @ 10:56 am

It is ah-mah-zing how you take every day food and turn them into culinary couture!

wowzah dahling :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Gastronome Tart — April 28, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Wipe…drool…off…of…face…. Literally, these look delicious! I absolutely love bacon desserts (hence why they are so popular, as I’m not the only one lol) and Nutella! Bravo!

Julia @ DimpleArts — April 28, 2011 @ 11:42 am

This is FABULOUS!!! I already have modification ideas running through my mind!

Geni — April 28, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

I completely agree with you on avoiding trends, but this dessert?!? My oh my you have created the impossible here! This is 100% something I am going to try! (And probably eat all of without sharing)

Andrea — April 28, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Nutella and bacon! Sinfully fabulous!

Linda — April 28, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Darling and delicious! I laughed reading your post – I’m so like you, I’ll always do the opposite of what “they” say or tell me to do! I’ve heard alot of this “bacon” combo but have not had the desire to try any….until now! It’s simple, it’s unique and it’s so pretty!

Celia — April 28, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Haha there’s a reason bacon is trendy: it inspired people to awesome sweet-salty heights of deliciousness…like this. Yummm.

My Kitchen in the Rockies — April 28, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Sommer, this sounds too good to be true! Bacon AND Nutella, what a treat.
    Great pictures! Kirsten

skip to malou — April 28, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

I was smiling reading your post, as I feel so much like you.. outside the box ideas are what excites me haha. the first time i made nutella and bacon stuffed french toast my kids were like ewww but when they took a bite hmmm.. oh well it’s been a breakfast staple since haha
    but these Bacon & Nutella Napoleons are insanely delicious. I could finish a tray of this. oh yes definitely sure!

I love your site. did it have a “facelift” it looks so fresh and clean out here.

Parsley Sage — April 28, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Oh man. That’s hot stuff. As one fellow Okie to another, know that I’m ‘fixin’ to’ make this puppy as my pre-Royal Wedding day holiday treat. Well done!

Heather @ Not a DIY Life — April 28, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Wow, this sounds amazing!

Carolyn — April 28, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Another one bites the dust. I am with ya, just fell in to the trend of bacon in dessert. Yours is aweseom!

Joy — April 28, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

That is so cool. The combo is wonderful.

Eileen — April 28, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

I’ve never been a trendy girl. I like to go against the grain – it’s more fun (wink)… I love your creations and am quite sure I could devour several in one sitting!

Baking Serendipity — April 28, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Amazing! I have never tried Nutella with bacon before, but I bet it is over the top wonderful :) These are too cute! When Titanic came out I was in seventh grade and in a “I won’t do it if everyone else does” phase. I still have yet to see the movie!

The Food Hound — April 29, 2011 @ 7:05 am

I’m usually behind on trends so that when I actually start participating, the trend is over and I am no longer “trendy.” Good tactic, eh?? :) But bacon in desserts? Totally loving this one!! Love this recipe- so easy and SO impressive!!

Angie's Recipes — April 29, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Angie's Recipes — April 29, 2011 @ 9:39 am

That pound cake alone is already fantastic, and layered with nutella and bacon…that’s just a Queen Treat!

daksha — April 29, 2011 @ 10:26 am

Gorgeous presentation! beautifully done delicious.

BigFatBaker — April 29, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

MMM..bacon fatty goodness? What could be better!

sweetlife — April 29, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

SCREAMING FOR JOY!!!
    YUMMY

sweetlife

wizzythestick — April 29, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

Wow! yes the lamest blog comment ever but you’ve left me speechless.

Sara — April 29, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

You know, I’m the same! if anything is “trendy” I will not be interested in it until it goes out of fashion lol! But I had the same thing with chocolate and bacon. As I’m not a big fan of chocolate, in fact, the combination with bacon has made it wonderful to me. Imagine with Nutella, which instead I already love by itself. I need to try a Nutella bacon dessert too!

kankana — April 29, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

This is great way to convert a simple pound cake to a gorgeous classy sweet treat .. I love bacon, but hubby likes only and only in breakfast !

elle marie — April 29, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

That is the most perfect poundcake I’ve ever seen, I recently fell in love with Paula Deen’s recipe, but could I have the recipe for the pound cake? That aside, I just admire your creativity, I really do, this is quite an adorable looking biscuit.

Kita — April 29, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Im all over this trend if these are the types of desserts I get! Long live the bacon. These look beautiful.

Dmarie — April 30, 2011 @ 6:58 am

oh, MY!! and love this concept too…how beautiful simple. seems like there could be endless variations–all involving bacon! ;)

Claudia — April 30, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I avoid the “trends” but if bacon was jumping off a cliff – I might follow. And now I’m looking for an excuse to have people over so I can make these (too dangerous just to make for the family – oh what a lot of calories would be consumed). Pure non-trendy deliciousness.

Kate@Diethood.com — April 30, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I’m going to eat up my screen. Incredible!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 30, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

I’m not even a meat eater, but I know this pairing is marvelous. Congrats on making the Top 9 today!

Michelle Benoit (ChocolateCentral) — April 30, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I’ve been hearing about this pork and chocolate pairing craze via the internet (I live in a small Mexican pueblo) and I don’t doubt that it is good, but I am not a pork eater. On the other hand, I’ll take chocolate anytime. Congrats on making the Top 9 on Foodbuzz.

gastronomic nomad — April 30, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

I think I’m tearing in pure joy reading your post. My two favorite things, nutella and bacon, served with pound cake. I must be in heaven right now. I will be serving this up for Mother’s Day next week!!

Rachel @ Bakerita — April 30, 2011 @ 11:59 pm

I signed onto your website stuffed, and now I’m drooling and hungry!
    These look absolutely incredible and your photos are stunning.
    I’ll try this out ASAP…maybe with the brioche I just made! So yummy, cannnot wait!

Julie M. — May 1, 2011 @ 10:00 am

That looks great Summer! Definitely a delicious way to combine salty and sweet into a finger food friendly treat.

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — May 1, 2011 @ 11:58 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE coming to your site and seeing what you’ll come up with next!! These are killer. XOXO

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — May 1, 2011 @ 11:58 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing what you’ll come up with next!! Killer photos.

Kocinera — May 1, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

I have to admit, the whole chocolatey bacon craze has always been very intriguing to me, but I’ve never actually tried it. I love how simple and easy this recipe is! Sounds like the perfect introduction to bacon desserts!

Victoria @ Mission: Food — May 1, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

You’re right, this is super easy. I don’t always indulge in food trends, but sometimes you just gotta :) I have a pretty good feeling that bacon desserts are not going away any time soon!

Sanjeeta kk — May 1, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

I love the idea of cutting the cake with cookie cuter..will appeal to my kids. Have missed out quite a few scrumptious posts here, Sommer..need to browse them all.

briarrose — May 2, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Nutella and bacon…..is that heaven before me? Why yes….I think it is. Wonderful treat.

Helene — May 3, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

So creative, I love the idea.

A Little Yumminess — May 3, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

you are right about trendy…..it hasn’t caught on with me…i am not great at sweet and savory but someday i will cave, I am sure!

Magic of Spice — May 4, 2011 @ 9:34 am

The bacon dessert thing has my boys going nuts…being raised by a vegetarian mom has them bacon obsessed :) They look so fun!

JazzRules — May 5, 2011 @ 11:05 am

You had me at bacon!!

Michelle — May 13, 2011 @ 10:06 am

I am just sitting at work drooling over these… Can’t.. look… away! I <3 bacon and chocolate together. Thanks for the recipe! (I also <3 easy recipes.)

Inessa — September 30, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

Those cookies look delicious, if you want Cool Cooking Recipes visit my blog.

1. Pingback: Bacon and Nutella Napoleons | bella nutella

2. Pingback: How To Make Bacon & Nutella Napoleons | UniqueDaily.com

3. Pingback: Coconut Nutella Cupcakes | bella nutella

4. Pingback: Bacon and Nutella Napoleons | The Chocolate Bottle

5. Pingback: As Sweet & Salty As Mom! « Kimberley Sullivan's Blog

6. Pingback: Bacon, It’s What’s for Dessert | Yummly

7. Pingback: Bacon Bonanza: 5 Best Recipes | taste station blog

8. Pingback: Bacon Desserts! Pork fat and Sugar are the trend?

9. Pingback: Things We Love: Nutella « 2Shopper

10. Pingback: World Nutella Day Has Been Saved!!! | Conspiracy Stories Today

11. Pingback: 22 Mouth-Watering Desserts Improved By Bacon | IPOPSOS

12. Pingback: 10 ways to get even more nutella in your mouth - KarryOn - KarryOn