Lavender Dark Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

If there is anything I love to shop for, it’s fresh herbs. I’m often found standing in the produce department (or at the farmer’s market) with bouquets of greenery under my nose, placidly inhaling their intoxicating scent.

I kneel amongst my flowerbeds tenderly rubbing their leaves between my  fingers, to accentuate the earthy perfume. I can’t WAIT, until my beds are full of mint, basil, thyme, dill and lavender. In my mind, no dish is complete without a fresh aromatic herb!

Lavender is an herb that comes and goes in culinary popularity. Known for its piney, yet floral essence, it’s considered a wonderful accompaniment to mild proteins like chicken and fish. Personally, I think it deserves a little more credit. Its flavor may be subtle at first, but it has an accumulative quality that can hold it’s own against strong flavors like lemon, or even chocolate.

Here, I’ve paired it with dark chocolate for a surprisingly balanced and bewitching frozen treat! This ice cream puts most mint chip ice creams to shame, and is a pleasant departure from your everyday freezer-aisle flavors!

I couldn’t resist adding this photo titled “Lingering Dog Longs To Lick Lavender.”

Cook’s Notes:

My lavender plants are not yet in bloom, so I’ve substituted culinary buds. They can be found in most large supermarkets or online HERE. It’s nice to have dried buds on-hand to give you a burst of spring flavor in the dead of winter. If you have access to fresh lavender this time of year, you can use the stems and leaves, as well as the flowers.

I used a vanilla bean for a deep vanilla undertone. Buying vanilla beans in bulk cuts the cost, but if you don’t use them fast enough, they dry out–limiting their benefits! I recently found a wonderful product I wanted to share with you. This Vanilla  Bean Paste made by Singing Dog, is bolder than vanilla extract, and much less expensive than whole beans. It keeps well and is a fantastic substitute when you don’t have access to vanilla beans.

To prepare:

Pour the cream, half-n-half, sugar, and salt into a medium sauce pot. Place the pot over medium heat until it  comes to a low simmer. If using a vanilla bean, cut the bean down the center lengthwise. Carefully open the bean and scrape out the paste.

Add the lavender buds and vanilla paste to the cream mixture. Stir; then remove from heat and cover.

Place the covered pot in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to cool. (If you’re in a hurry, place it an airtight container and put in the freezer for 1 hour until thoroughly chilled, but NOT frozen!) Once the mixture is chilled, Strain out the lavender buds and pour into an ice cream maker. Churn for 20+ minutes until the desired consistency is reached.

Meanwhile, chop the chocolate bar into fine shards.

Yield: 1.5 quarts

Lavender Dark Chip Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half-n-half
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 ½ Tb. dried lavender buds (4 Tb. fresh chopped lavender)
1Vanilla Bean (or 1 tsp. vanilla paste)
1-2 Drops Purple Food Coloring (optional)
4 oz. Dark Chocolate Bar

Pour the cream, half-n-half, sugar, and salt into a medium sauce pot. Place the pot over medium heat until it comes to a low simmer.

If using a vanilla bean, cut the bean down the center lengthwise. Carefully open the bean and scrape out the paste. Add the buds and vanilla paste to the cream mixture. Stir; then remove from heat and cover. *Add a drop or two of food coloring if you want to enhance the lavender color.

Meanwhile, chop the chocolate bar into fine shards. Add the chocolate to the ice cream maker. Churn until the chocolate is evenly distributed.

Serve immediately or put in an airtight container and freeze.

Other ASP recipes involving lavender…

Gingersnap Ice Cream Cups with Blueberry-Lavender Sauce

French Lavender Lemonade

Creamy Lavender Flan

These gorgeous bowls are made by Villeroy & Boch. Check out their Flow Line!

105 Responses to “Lavender Dark Chocolate Chip Ice Cream”

elle marie — March 3, 2011 @ 7:24 am

I see you have a gas burner too.. me as well.. I feel like I can control the heat more.. I had wanted an IH but .. I love gas stoves!!

I can’t really eat lavender infused foods/sweets, but it sounds and looks divine = )

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow — March 3, 2011 @ 7:25 am

I just planted lavender seeds, now I am so excited to have something to cook with it. The ice cream is beautiful and looks delicious!

My Kitchen in the Rockies — March 3, 2011 @ 7:51 am

What a sweet doggie you have. I love our labs. They are the best.
    I have to look for the vanilla bean paste. That is new to me. I like to cook with lavender, too. I make a chocolate lavender tart and have made a bundt cake with lavender. I will give the ice cream a try, since I have lavender in my pantry.
    I LOVE V&B. I have their city line and several other dishes. Unfortunately our V&B store closed. I was very upset. The bowls are gorgeous.

Belinda @zomppa — March 3, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Lovely! I love lavender milk…so why not ice cream??

sprinkled with flour — March 3, 2011 @ 7:59 am

I love this combo! The flavor sounds so delicious, and that pale lavender color with the rich dark chocolate shards peeking through are gorgeous:)

Lora — March 3, 2011 @ 8:36 am

This is the most gorgeous ice cream. Wow. I have both the bean pate and the lavender in my pantry. You have inspired me!

Lea Ann — March 3, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Beautiful! I made lavendar ice cream once just using vanilla ice cream as the base. I’m thinking adding the chocolate is a much better combo. Gotta try it.

RavieNomNoms — March 3, 2011 @ 9:33 am

That looks so gorgeous! I just love the color of that ice cream and I bet it is super refreshing!

Roxan — March 3, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I also love lavender! I got a bunch of fresh lavender in a CSA delivery once and I made the most wonderful things with it. I had to turn to my chef friend though, and he let me know that lavender can easily be substituted in anything that mint is used in.

carolinaheartstrings — March 3, 2011 @ 9:59 am

That looks so wonderful and unique. I bet it tastes great!

Jenni — March 3, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Wow, that sounds so fresh. I can’t wait to try it.

Celia — March 3, 2011 @ 10:11 am

What a great idea! I always worry when I cook with lavender that my dish will wind up tasting like something from The Body Shop…chocolate sounds like an excellent way to balance things out.

Laura @ Family Spice — March 3, 2011 @ 10:14 am

That is a gorgeous bowl of ice cream! My lavender died off and I am definitely planting some more this Spring.

Prerna@IndianSimmer — March 3, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Oh my gosh, that is one out of teh world flavor combinations Sommer! I’ve never worked with lavender and the most I know about it is that its a gorgeous flower and one of my favorite color :-)
    Planning to buy an ice cream maker sometime soon and I HAVE to try this one for sure! BOOKMARKED!

Dmarie — March 3, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Now I can’t wait for our lavender to bloom. Posts like this give me the courage to try what seems exotic…yet you somehow make seem doable. thx!

EA-The Spicy RD — March 3, 2011 @ 10:46 am

My (Spanish) lavender just started to bloom, and I’ve been thinking about what I can make with it. This ice cream looks fabulous. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tiffany — March 3, 2011 @ 10:58 am

Super creative! There’s a couple here in Durham who make organic chocolate-chip lavender cookies! I guess great minds think alike!!! :D

sonia — March 3, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

The ice cream is looking heavenly. I have never tasted home made lavender ice cream and am sure this must be absolutely out of world. sAving this recipe to try out shortly…great pictures !

Joy — March 3, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

That looks wonderful. I love the combo of lavender and chocolate.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — March 3, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I’ve never tried cooking with lavender but am very interested. That looks so tremendous! Did you see that movie – It’s Complicated? Meryl Streep makes lavender ice cream. Sounds wonderful.

Rosa — March 3, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

A wonderful ice cream! Those flavors go so well together.

Cheers,

Rosa

Marisa — March 3, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

I’ve been wanting to make lavender ice cream since I tasted in on a vacation a little while back. Thanks for the recipe!

Geni — March 3, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Oh my, that looks delicious! I’ve baked some lavender-lemon cookies, but I’d never thought to pair lavender with chocolate.

I wish I had a giant bowl of that ice cram right now!

Angie's Recipes — March 3, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

wow lavender ice with chocolate chips…I’d better hide this post from my husband.

Apicius' Apprentice — March 3, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

This looks like a beautiful combination. I’ve never had lavender choc chip ice cream! I’ve missed checking in on your site :)

Jennifurla — March 3, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

My favorite post of the day, this is extraordinary!

briarrose — March 3, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Amazing ice cream flavor. I would never have thought to use lavender.

claire — March 3, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

I have seen lavender everywhere lately! I can’t wait to try this!

Suchitra — March 3, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

wow, lavender icecream- never tried that flavor. Sure looks interesting and mouth watering- lovely pics!

Lot-O-Choc — March 3, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Oh yum, i love the smell of lavender, would you believe ive never had it in a dish before though! I’d love to try this ice cream, it sounds amazing.

Stella — March 3, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Hey Sommer, this looks so pretty. Your photos are really great here-they show how wonderful the ice cream must be. Oh, and the flavor combination sounds very ‘bewitching’ indeed;-) What a treat it would be to have a bowl of that wonderment?!!!

Vegolicious — March 3, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Your ice cream looks amazing. I’ve had lavender cheese and cookies before but not ice cream. I bet it tastes amazing.

I’d love for your to submit them to Vegolicious, a vegetarian food photo gallery where readers can browse beautiful photos to discover new recipes and wonderful blogs. If you would like to share this recipe with our readers please submit a photo along with a link to this post.

fooddreamer — March 3, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

It’s just gorgeous, I love lavender in sweets.

Krizia | Blog Income for Women — March 3, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

OMG – I almost died when I say this recipe. I’m soooooooooooooooo adding this one to my list!

Thanks so very much.

Krizia

Cherine — March 3, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Fabulous flavors!! mmm i’m drooling!!

Claire @ Claire K Creations — March 3, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Yum! I’m a huge fan of mint chip icecream but if you say this rivals it then I’ll have to give it a go.

Eileen — March 3, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Sommer, your ice cream is always make me melt… It looks so delicious! I love the smell of lavender. I have a nice plant just outside my back door.

Tricia — March 3, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

I love everything about this post! Lavender is my most favorite thing…I’ve been dying to try ice cream. You’ve inspired me! Beautiful pictures.

Amy — March 3, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

This sounds so delicious! I love the combination of chocolate and lavander!

Liz — March 3, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Boy, does this look fabulous…the color, the taste, the added chocolate! Wonderful~

torviewtoronto — March 3, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

lovely flavour for ice cream delicious

The Food Hound — March 3, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

This is so unique! I want to plant lavender this year. I do NOT have a green thumb, but I at least try to keep my herbs alive!

Anna — March 3, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Oh Sommer! Delicious combination, I loved the idea. Must smell fantastic too.
    Today I asked my husband to trim a bit my tomato plant, when I went outside ( 5 minutes later) there was nothing else in the vase. “MURDERER”. He spent the whole day saying he was sorry. I’m still mad….lol. Have a great weekend

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — March 3, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

I didn’t know I was craving ice cream until I saw this. What an amazing, original idea. I LOVE it.

vtkitchen — March 3, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

It’s amazing how fast time has flown! It’s already about time for ice cream!! I love this one. It’s got a great color and lavendar is so wonderful. Lavendar and rosemary shortbread might be a good pairing =)
    Cheers.

A little bit of everything — March 3, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

your ice cream yells Summer.

i’m anxious too to have my herbs in from of the house. can’t wait.

have a wonderful Friday Sommer

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls — March 3, 2011 @ 11:48 pm

OH sweeeeet goodness, this sounds fabulous!! Now ALL I want is ice cream, thanks ;) Love this combo of flavors!!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 4, 2011 @ 7:02 am

My friend introduced me recently to a dark chocolate and lavender bar, I bet it would be a great addition to this ice cream too!

Priya Sreeram — March 4, 2011 @ 8:13 am

o my, it lookssssssssss awesome, bookmarked !

OurEyes EatFirst — March 4, 2011 @ 9:04 am

looks just stunning – i just love your combination of flavors! i recently made a stuffed crust flatbread inspired by your recent veggie flatbread – i made it my own with the use of indian flavors. http://oureyeseatfirst.blogspot.com Thanks for sharing!

Susi — March 4, 2011 @ 9:08 am

Sommer, this is probably one of the most creative flavors of ice cream I have seen in a long time. It looks and sounds amazing. I have not cooked much with lavender myself, but this recipe has inspired me to give it a try.

blackbookkitchendiaries — March 4, 2011 @ 11:50 am

This looks amazing. i love how creative you are with this combo. thank you for sharing this with us and have a great weekend.

Victoria @ Mission: Food — March 4, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

What a fun alternative to mint chocolate chip (or regular chocolate chip) ice cream. I love the color and can only imagine the lovely floral flavor of this ice cream.

Claudia — March 4, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

This does look welcoming. A bit chilly here so ice cream will wait but the lavender does entice. I’m ready to plant herbs. Unfortunately the ground is not. Gorgeous photos.

sweetlife — March 4, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

how lovely, we must have been on the same wave length..i made lavender brownies yesterday!! I love the color..simply stunning
    have agreat weekend!!

sweetlife

UrMomCooks — March 4, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

Yay! Warm weather and ice cream!!! Those bowls of ice cream look absolutely delicious! Thanks for the tip about vanilla bean paste – I will definitely check that out! And here’s to lavender season right around the corner!

Chris and Amy — March 4, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Bewitching, indeed. What a fantastic idea!

Cat — March 4, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

My children both loved the lavender ice-cream we tried last summer and have been begging me to make some ever since. The chocolate might even convince my partner to try it too.

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — March 4, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

I am a sucker for ice cream! I could eat it year round…in fact, I crave it more in the winter! I can’t wait to try this! :)

Kita — March 4, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

What beautiful ice cream. Ill have some nice lavender this spring and am itching to try my hand at ice cream.

5 Star Foodie — March 4, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

What a heavenly frozen treat! I love the idea of lavender-chocolate flavor combination, sounds amazing, a must try!

alison — March 5, 2011 @ 1:09 am

looks divine!:)

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — March 5, 2011 @ 1:44 am

With all the times I’ve been to Provence, I have never seen lavender icecream..Definitely, I have to try your recipe! Thanks!

Katie@Cozydelicious — March 5, 2011 @ 7:29 am

I love the flavors here! I am a huge lavender fan. And your photos are, as usual, beautiful.

Katerina — March 5, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Only recently have I discovered lavender and I just loved its flavor. This ice cream must taste divine!

Fresh and Foodie — March 5, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Beautiful! Wow, I seriously need an ice cream maker. Thanks for the note about the vanilla bean paste. I’ve never seen that before, but vanilla beans are expensive and an alternative would be nice.

Kate @ Diethood.com — March 5, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Sommer, this is incredible! Truly drooling! I am a huge fan of ice cream, but I’ve never played with it in this manner… I’d love to give this a try! Besides, it will be nice to use the ice cream maker that just sits there collecting dust.

The Mistress of Spices — March 5, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

OMG!!! This sounds like an amazing ice cream. Too bad I didn’t pick up any of the great lavender from Toulouse during the Salon de l’Agriculture which took place here a couple of weeks ago. I’m going to save this recipe and try it when I can find some lavender. Yum!

Monet — March 5, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

What a stunning dessert. Like you, I think fresh herbs complete a meal. Lavander reminds me of my father (he grows huge bushes in his yard) so thank you for sharing this with me tonight. It made me crave icecream and recollect fond days of childhood.

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — March 5, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

I have never seen lavender ice cream. How cool! And I’ve never heard of vanilla paste. I’m going to buy some and give it a whirl. Soo glad I came across your blog. Kudos to you.

Sophie — March 6, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Ooooh Sommer!! What a delightful lavender ice cream!! A truly beautiful recipe too!

Thanks for the useful links where to buy stuff etc!! MMMMMMM,…!!!!!! I also love your other lavender dishes too!

pigpigscorner — March 6, 2011 @ 11:12 am

I’ve yet to try cooking with lavender..sounds so lovely!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — March 6, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Wow this looks and sounds wonderful. I just did a post on my herb garden the other day. I am so ready to go out and pick all of the wonderful herbs in our garden! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

I don’t know what it is, but when I see that ice cream I think about the movie Brigadoon.I love everything about it and while I know the chocolate thing would keep me away, I can’t imagine it being any different than it is. It is a perfect, sophisticated ice cream. Wow.

Terese — March 7, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Having personally taste tested this amazing creation, I can think this is now my personal favorite ice cream flavor!! STELLAR!

denise @ bread expectations — March 7, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

Oh, this has got to be the most beautiful and delicious ice cream flavour I’ve ever come across. If I saw this in the ice cream freezer at the supermarket, I would pounce on it!! LOVE the photos!

Sanjeeta kk — March 9, 2011 @ 2:58 am

So lucky to get lavender beans and fresh vanilla pods! Love the colorful and flavorful ice cream.

JoyceLYH — March 9, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

I love the way it’s pastel purple with flecks of dark choc!

Christian — March 9, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

Slight correction: “scrape” not “scrap.”

• Sommer — March 10th, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Thanks Christian! ;)

Pam — March 10, 2011 @ 7:00 am

I made a lavender sorbet last year that was wonderful, so I can not wait to make this!

Magic of Spice — March 10, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Oh goodness how delightful this is. Amazing flavor!

A Canadian Foodie — March 11, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I LOVE lavender – and do grow it, too! I also make a ton of homemade ice creams – so you have me on this recipe. YUM. I cannot wait to try it – but will wait until I have my own flowers!
    Did I miss you first on line cooking class? I haven’t posted for over 2 weeks which is a first to me in three years, I think. I have been knee deep in the throws of planning a local food conference with our local slow food convivia. Great work. Time well spent, but I miss cooking, writing, reading and YOU!
    I will catch up soon, I hope.
    Valerie

Steve — March 13, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I feel like your dog in the background right now :)

Threemealsaday — March 15, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Congrats on your top9. This is exactly what I was looking for as another way to use some lavender. I actually have that same tin. A perfect summer flavor or something to provide at a spring gathering. You had me at Bewitched!. Thanks for sharing.

Stuart

Kimberly — March 15, 2011 @ 11:13 am

THESE PHOTOS ARE SUPER FANTASTICALLY AMAZING! I don’t think there could be a bad ice cream flavor combination which includes dark chocolate, but I feel indulged just from seeing how beautifully you presented this special treat.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — March 15, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Congrats on the Foodbuzz pick! My husband and I have been looking at ice cream makers and I told him I wanted to try and make Lavendar ice cream! Looks terrific – great job :)

Katarina — March 15, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Sounds and look delicious!

Dan (mychef) — March 16, 2011 @ 12:21 am

looks so heavenly sweet…with the combination of lavander , it makes the ice cream more interesting…I’ve got to try this one, I wonder if I can use lavander to other confections???

Kelsey, at Happyolks — March 21, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Thanks for the add on twitter! I love your site :) This ice cream looks incredible! Putting an ice cream maker on my wishlist!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen — March 25, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

Wow!! I’m so in awe of your beautiful, crisp photos!! Again…all I can say is WOW!! I follow you on Twitter, but very happy that you contacted me on Stumble Upon…which brought me to your blog. Chow and Chatter (Rebecca) recommended your blog when I asked her on Twitter about other NC food bloggers. I’m now subscribed & look forward to reading you on a regular basis.

The mountains of NC are beautiful! I moved to NC when I was 10 and moved away at 19…but visit regularly as I still have family all over. I lived in Winston-Salem, and have family there. My brother is in Sylva (but used to live in Asheville) which isn’t too far from Asheville (SW)…my grandparents have a home in Burnsville (NW), and my father in law lives in Asheville (as well as here in South Florida). We were just there over Thanksgiving weekend, and hope to get back up there next year…hopefully this time to see “snow.” I have 3 girls, and were born here in Florida, only lived here & have never seen snow. They think they are SO deprived ;)

I look foward to visiting your beautiful blog. You are very talented!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

Cookin' Canuck — March 26, 2011 @ 8:12 am

What a beautiful ice cream! The color is so soft and gently, and I can only imagine how good this must taste. I, too, am so excited for my garden to be filled with fresh herbs.

Lindsey@Lindselicious — July 11, 2011 @ 12:55 am

This looks great- so rich and complex! The pics are great too!

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! — July 11, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Beautiful ice cream – fantastic color. I love using lavender salt on steaks and fish, but haven’t considered using lavender in desserts…until now.

marla — July 11, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

This is such a pretty color – love that you used lavender to flavor this ice cream. Super fun!

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — July 14, 2011 @ 10:22 am

totally a yummy and unique recipe, this looks great!!

sophistimom — August 29, 2011 @ 8:42 am

Such a gorgeous color.

Summer — May 10, 2013 @ 10:06 am

I just made lavender ice cream the other day and quite enjoyed it! What a great herb. I love the addition of dark chocolate in this.

Quinn — August 2, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

My mom and I used this recipe to make a lavender ice cream, we skipped the chocolate for the time being, and we love it! Instead of sitting for 4 hours, we let the milk and lavender buds stay in the fridge overnight, and we finished the afternoon of the next day, so it steeped for closer to 12 hours instead and turned out great! 10/10!

1. Pingback: LAVENDAR | The Edible Complex