Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies

Spring fever has set in.  I’m taunted by a day of warm weather, followed by cold dreary rain and fog. When will it end?!? I need sunshine, continual sunshine. I need to see green when I walk outside. I need shorts.

One way to combat the feeling of endless waiting for sandals and daffodils, is to eat warm-weather foods like berries! The only problem is pesticide-free berries cost $8 a pint right now. I just can’t bring myself to pay that, no matter now badly I NEED them.

The answer? Frozen berries. Frozen fruits and veggies are picked in the peak of their season and frozen quickly to retain flavor and nutrients. Plus, frozen fruit is a fraction of the cost and bakes just as well as fresh fruit.

I use frozen berries and citrus zest anytime I get a bad case of spring fever.  The bright poppy flavors in these blondies remind me that soon enough, I will be trouncing through the berry patch swinging my little basket and humming a merry tune! Um, I mean the KIDS will be doing that and I will be maturely watching from the sidelines…not skipping.

Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush. ~Doug Larson

Preparation:

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together.

Add the melted sugar mixture and stir.

Then add the eggs and vanilla—stir well.

Press the mixture into a greased 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the white chocolate chips over the top.

Then toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour and sprinkle them over the top.

Yield: 20 bars

Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 Tb. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour + 1 Tb. for blueberries
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cups blueberries (can be frozen)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Measure both sugars and the butter and melt together until the brown sugar is mostly melted. (You can do this in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or on stovetop.)

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together. Add the melted sugar mixture and stir. Then add the eggs and vanilla—stir well.

Bake for 45-55 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean. If the edges of the blondies start to get dark, loosely tent a piece of foil over the top of the pan.

These gorgeous dishes are part of the Althea Nova line from Villeroy & Boch!

Don’t forget to ENTER to WIN 2 Prizes: $40 from CSN Stores and $25 to Fresh Wood Fired Pizza.

75 Responses to “Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies”

Liz — February 25, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

What a fabulous flavor combination…I think we’re all yearning for summer :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice — February 26, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I can do with a slice of blondie right now. This weather is driving me crazy. It’s warm one day and cold the next. I am so ready for the spring.

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — February 26, 2011 @ 10:55 am

can I come live with you please? I really need such goodies in my life :-)

pigpigscorner — February 26, 2011 @ 11:44 am

I’ve never had blondies, it’s always brownies. These look great with the blueberries!

Chef Dennis — February 26, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

hi Sommer
    those bars look spectacular, I agree with you about using frozen berries when fresh are not available or just to pricey….now quite frankly I don’t care what kind of berries you use as long as you make them! I would love to give those gorgeous bars a try, the white chocolate is the perfect compliment to those berries…

great taste of summer!
    Dennis

Kristen — February 26, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Those are just luscious!!

Christina of Form V Artisan — February 26, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Nice!! I totally feel you on the sunshine withdrawal.

5 Star Foodie — February 26, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

I’m lately loving everything with blueberries and absolutely love the sound of these blondies, perfect with the white chocolate too, must make these for the family!

Sanura @ MyLifeRunsOnnFood.com — February 26, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

A great recipe to welcome Spring! I can’t wait for berry season to begin, especially strawberries. In Virginia, strawberry season is in March. In New York, they’re in season in late May to June, because sometimes it snows in April. Counting the weeks down… drum-roll!!!

Pachecopatty — February 26, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Thanks for bringing a little warmth my way with your lovely blueberry white chocolate blondies, wish I had one right now ;-)

Michelle — February 26, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

Sommer thank you for this lovely recipe,I can’t wait to make this …there is always frozen blueberries around here.

Lot-O-Choc — February 27, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Im craving some warm weather at the minute too, its just so cold! I want sunshine!!
    Im sure these blueberry white chocolate blondies would help me feel more spring like too, they look amazingly delicious!

Joy — February 28, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

These blondies look lovely.

Dmarie — March 1, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

oh, MY, these look good. how do you keep coming up with so many good recipes? If I had these ingredients, I’d be marching into my kitchen right now to cook these! (will bookmark instead…these look like a great bar to cook/freeze)

April — March 2, 2011 @ 2:26 am

i made these last night…very nice..although I made a mistake on the baking time but that was totally my fault…I will try them again to get them right..however I still got asked for the recipe even though they were a mixture between gooey on the inside of the pan and hard on the outside (but that was my fault)

sweetlife — March 2, 2011 @ 6:51 am

oh i love blondies… we always have frozen beries on hand..hmm I have a bag of blackberries on hand, these would be perfect for sunday brunch!
    sweetlife

The Mixing Bowl Diary — March 3, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

wow, fantastic combination. I never would have thought to make blueberry blondies. And with white chocolate too! YUM.

This has been sitting up on my computer for almost a day. Finally, I’m printing it and planning on making it. I couldn’t handle it anymore. Just looks too incredible. :)

Chrisan — March 7, 2011 @ 10:46 am

I still have frozen wild blueberries from this past summer. I’ll definitely have to use them up after seeing this! I might have to add macadamias…only because for some reason, I associate white chocolate with macadamias most of the time.

Stevie — March 10, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

I really like your step-by-step photos. I’ve never tried a blueberry blondie before but feel certain that I’d love them (probably too much and would gain back all that weight that I’ve been trying to lose!) I do hope that you went running carefree with the kids. They won’t want to do that with you when they’re older.

Heather at FarmgirlGourmet — May 13, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Wow….seriously, what can I say that everyone else hasn’t already? They look amazing and I want to eat them RIGHT NOW! Where do you live? I’m coming over. :)

Delicious!
    Heather

Vanderbilt Wife — May 14, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Yum!! Those look delicious.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies — A Spicy Perspective -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies — Villeroy & Boch Blog