Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies

Spring fever has set in.  I’m taunted by a day of warm weather, followed by cold dreary rain and fog. When will it end?!? I need sunshine, continual sunshine. I need to see green when I walk outside. I need shorts.

One way to combat the feeling of endless waiting for sandals and daffodils, is to eat warm-weather foods like berries! The only problem is pesticide-free berries cost $8 a pint right now. I just can’t bring myself to pay that, no matter now badly I NEED them.

The answer? Frozen berries. Frozen fruits and veggies are picked in the peak of their season and frozen quickly to retain flavor and nutrients. Plus, frozen fruit is a fraction of the cost and bakes just as well as fresh fruit.

I use frozen berries and citrus zest anytime I get a bad case of spring fever.  The bright poppy flavors in these blondies remind me that soon enough, I will be trouncing through the berry patch swinging my little basket and humming a merry tune! Um, I mean the KIDS will be doing that and I will be maturely watching from the sidelines…not skipping.

Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush. ~Doug Larson

Preparation:

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together.

Add the melted sugar mixture and stir.

Then add the eggs and vanilla—stir well.

Press the mixture into a greased 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the white chocolate chips over the top.

Then toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour and sprinkle them over the top.

Yield: 20 bars

Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 Tb. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour + 1 Tb. for blueberries
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cups blueberries (can be frozen)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Measure both sugars and the butter and melt together until the brown sugar is mostly melted. (You can do this in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or on stovetop.)

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest together. Add the melted sugar mixture and stir. Then add the eggs and vanilla—stir well.

Bake for 45-55 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean. If the edges of the blondies start to get dark, loosely tent a piece of foil over the top of the pan.

These gorgeous dishes are part of the Althea Nova line from Villeroy & Boch!

Don’t forget to ENTER to WIN 2 Prizes: $40 from CSN Stores and $25 to Fresh Wood Fired Pizza.

75 Responses to “Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies”

Cécy — February 24, 2011 @ 6:50 am

Well, we do need the rain.
    I agree on the frozen berries. I rarely buy the fresh ones they always seem so expensive in the store.
    Those look like they’d be great with tea.

Blog is the New Black — February 24, 2011 @ 6:58 am

You know how once you do or see something, you see it everywhere?! I just made my first blondies and now I keep seeing recipes for them everywhere. This is a GREAT one! I love the idea of bberries and white chocolate together- yum!

Belinda @zomppa — February 24, 2011 @ 6:59 am

Oh where oh where is the sun?? Love these…and LOVE the milk. We’d get along well.

The Food Hound — February 24, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Such a unique flavor combo!! Love it!! I am not a fan of the dreary rain after what seemed to be 2 weeks of amazing spring weather. Oh well, at least we’re on the downside of winter!

Katerina — February 24, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I want summer too, desperately, in the meantime I think I could settle with couple of these beauties!

Nancy — February 24, 2011 @ 7:42 am

These look delicious…can’t wait to make them this weekend!

My Kitchen in the Rockies — February 24, 2011 @ 7:52 am

I always have frozen organic blueberries or organic cherries in my freezer. They are part of my breakfast.
    What a great recipe. I have never made or eaten blondies. Will be put on my “to bake list”. Thanks, Sommer.
    Greetings
    Kirsten

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — February 24, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Can I have one? or Twenty !! Beautiful !!

Sanjeeta kk — February 24, 2011 @ 8:32 am

These blondies look so cute with the powder sugar on top. Love the frozen berries that go into it.
    BTW the header looks stunning!

Jasmin Ortega — February 24, 2011 @ 8:45 am

I absolutely love this. I adore blueberries and blondies are my favorite. I might be trying this out but with a twist. Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow — February 24, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Yum! These looks so delicious! I want a batch! Definitely craving spring…

Laura @ Family Spice — February 24, 2011 @ 9:32 am

You had me at blueberry! You’d think it was summer here in San Diego because you can get a 6/oz of fresh blueberries for $1.50 or less. I might have to make this right now….

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — February 24, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Those look wonderful and your photos are incredible. Frozen is always great – I don’t do canned fruit too much. We were in Asheville Valentine’s weekend and enjoyed several wonderful restaurants. Hope your springtime is coming soon! Beautiful area – just lovely!

Roxan — February 24, 2011 @ 9:57 am

These blondies look amazing! I love frozen fruit also – for baking and also for snacking on. It’s awesome that they cost less too, you can load up your baking treats with them and not feel too guilty about the price!

Isabelle — February 24, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I froze several bags of blueberries last summer when they were cheap and plentiful, and we’ve been nibbling away at them all winter. Next year, I think I’m going to do the same with strawberries, too.
    I’m pretty sure I’m down to my last cup of berries at this point, but these blondies look so scrumptious that I might just have to bust open the last of the stash to try them out. I just can’t resist blueberries and white chocolate together.

Megan — February 24, 2011 @ 10:44 am

I couldn’t agree with you more, bring on the sunshine! This sounds delicious! I just stocked up on frozen fruits to get us through until we can get some fresh ones and blondies sounds like the perfect way to use them up.

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls — February 24, 2011 @ 10:52 am

Those look ridiculously incredible! Wow!! Bookmarked!!

Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

Kate @ Diethood.com — February 24, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I’ve never made blondies before (how strange) but this may be the recipe to start with because I love every ingredient that you’ve put in there… and they look fantabulous!

We are still dealing with freezing weather … 24 fahrenheit today :(

Jill Colonna — February 24, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I keep forgetting that blondies exist out there and need to give them a try: especially with the blueberries in them. Delicious addition! Looking good.

Angie's Recipes — February 24, 2011 @ 11:16 am

A wonderful blondie recipe! White chocolate and blueberry….the combination is unbeatable!

RavieNomNoms — February 24, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Wow not only are those gorgeous, I bet they just taste like a square of heaven! AH nomnomnoms!

carolinaheartstrings — February 24, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Those look really wonderful. My daughter would not doubt eat that for breakfast!

Fresh and Foodie — February 24, 2011 @ 11:27 am

These look great. I always have a stash of frozen berries in my freezer for baking, smoothies, yogurt mix-ins, etc. My husband doesn’t like blueberries, but I bet these would be equally good with raspberries. Beautiful photos too.

Evan Thomas — February 24, 2011 @ 11:46 am

These look delicious! Great flavor pairing.

Cherine — February 24, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Can I steal one? they’re absolutely gorgeous!!
    P.S: I need sunshine too!!

Rachel — February 24, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

These look awesome Sommer! I buy these great frozen, wild blueberries at Earth Fare, and I think that they would be perfect in this! Thanks for all the great recipes!!

Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs — February 24, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I just made Blondies too after reading about them on Blog is the New Black. They were a big hit so I will have to try out your recipe too.

Monet — February 24, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Frozen berries are lifesavers. We are definitely getting some “Spring” weather here in Austin. Almost 80 degrees today! Thank you for sharing these with us! They look delicious. I hope you are having a great end to your week.

sonia — February 24, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

Mmmmm…loved the combo of white chocolate chips and blueberries. The blondies are looking gorgeous and wud luv to bake my batch and relish.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — February 24, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

I want to eat every single one of those blondies. I loooovvee blondies but blondies with blueberries and white chocolate sounds amazing. :) They look beautiful too!

Debbie B. — February 24, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

These look awesome!! Beautiful pics.

Gitte — February 24, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

I am with you, we need spring…and fast. Your beautiful Blueberry Blondies will do fine holding us over until then.

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) — February 24, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

Delicious and love the flavour.

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) — February 24, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

I love this! How different, and wonderful!

Eileen — February 24, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

I’m with you. I’m looking for green grass, the fresh scent of spring, and a lot of sunshine! Your blondies sound delicious and your pictures rock as usual. Have a blondie for me will ya!

kari — February 24, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

Oh you’re totally allowed to trounce- a family that trounces together stays together, right? Isn’t that how the saying goes?

These look really good! Do you have a specific brand of white chocolate chips that you like to use?

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 24, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

i am deep, deep in spring fever but it is still so cold out! These are just perfect – warm and cozy but just springy enough to be exciting!

vtkitchen — February 24, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Great photos. These blondies look fantasmic!! thanks so much for sharing. cheers.

Aldy — February 24, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

Oh, Sommer these blondies look absolutely superb! I I just adore the blueberries and white chocolate combination :) BRAVO! BRAVO!

Cheers,

Aldy.

A little bit of everything — February 24, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

the weather is a little tricky lately. I miss spring so much.
    your blondies look fantastic. love the addition on blueberry. the presentation is stunning as usual.
    thanks for sharing, hope you’ll have a sunny Friday

Lora — February 24, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

I love this blondie recipe. White chocolate and blueberry = yum!

Magic of Spice — February 24, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

These look so good and your photos are gorgeous of course…I love using frozen berries as well, a bit of sunshine :)

A Canadian Foodie — February 24, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

Sommer!
    The step-by-step tutorial was very helpful and demonstrated how easy the recipe would be to make – and how delicious. YUM! Blueberries and white chocolate in a chewy brown sugar brownie? Oh, force me!
    YU-UM!!
    Valerie

Anna — February 25, 2011 @ 12:13 am

Oh Sommer….I know exactly what you mean, I can’t wait for some sandals and dresses, but this weekend the weather will be pretty lousy over here in la, la, land. Blondies would do the trick for me too. It looks fantastic, loved the step by step pics.

Sara — February 25, 2011 @ 12:41 am

wow! I’ve been seeing a lot of blondies recently but these ones seem like the ones I will have to make this weekend!

MaryMoh — February 25, 2011 @ 4:29 am

Mmmm….this just look too tempting. I love any dessert with blueberries. Would love to try. Thanks very much for sharing.

Lora @cakeduchess — February 25, 2011 @ 10:05 am

I caved and bought some blueberries the other day. I have to bake something for the kids with blueberries and I think I will try your recipe instead of what I was going to make. Looks amazing, Sommer:)

Steph@stephsbitebybite — February 25, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

I’m not gonna lie, your pictures have my mind in a haze right. I am in love with these yummy looking blondies

Sprinkled With Flour — February 25, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Um…yes please! This is my kind of blondie, I’m definitely bookmarking this one. Beautiful photos too:)

Lola — February 25, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

I’m copying this so I can make it this weekend.

Liz — February 25, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

What a fabulous flavor combination…I think we’re all yearning for summer :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice — February 26, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I can do with a slice of blondie right now. This weather is driving me crazy. It’s warm one day and cold the next. I am so ready for the spring.

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — February 26, 2011 @ 10:55 am

can I come live with you please? I really need such goodies in my life :-)

pigpigscorner — February 26, 2011 @ 11:44 am

I’ve never had blondies, it’s always brownies. These look great with the blueberries!

Chef Dennis — February 26, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

hi Sommer
    those bars look spectacular, I agree with you about using frozen berries when fresh are not available or just to pricey….now quite frankly I don’t care what kind of berries you use as long as you make them! I would love to give those gorgeous bars a try, the white chocolate is the perfect compliment to those berries…

great taste of summer!
    Dennis

Kristen — February 26, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Those are just luscious!!

Christina of Form V Artisan — February 26, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Nice!! I totally feel you on the sunshine withdrawal.

5 Star Foodie — February 26, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

I’m lately loving everything with blueberries and absolutely love the sound of these blondies, perfect with the white chocolate too, must make these for the family!

Sanura @ MyLifeRunsOnnFood.com — February 26, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

A great recipe to welcome Spring! I can’t wait for berry season to begin, especially strawberries. In Virginia, strawberry season is in March. In New York, they’re in season in late May to June, because sometimes it snows in April. Counting the weeks down… drum-roll!!!

Pachecopatty — February 26, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Thanks for bringing a little warmth my way with your lovely blueberry white chocolate blondies, wish I had one right now ;-)

Michelle — February 26, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

Sommer thank you for this lovely recipe,I can’t wait to make this …there is always frozen blueberries around here.

Lot-O-Choc — February 27, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Im craving some warm weather at the minute too, its just so cold! I want sunshine!!
    Im sure these blueberry white chocolate blondies would help me feel more spring like too, they look amazingly delicious!

Joy — February 28, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

These blondies look lovely.

Dmarie — March 1, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

oh, MY, these look good. how do you keep coming up with so many good recipes? If I had these ingredients, I’d be marching into my kitchen right now to cook these! (will bookmark instead…these look like a great bar to cook/freeze)

April — March 2, 2011 @ 2:26 am

i made these last night…very nice..although I made a mistake on the baking time but that was totally my fault…I will try them again to get them right..however I still got asked for the recipe even though they were a mixture between gooey on the inside of the pan and hard on the outside (but that was my fault)

sweetlife — March 2, 2011 @ 6:51 am

oh i love blondies… we always have frozen beries on hand..hmm I have a bag of blackberries on hand, these would be perfect for sunday brunch!
    sweetlife

The Mixing Bowl Diary — March 3, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

wow, fantastic combination. I never would have thought to make blueberry blondies. And with white chocolate too! YUM.

This has been sitting up on my computer for almost a day. Finally, I’m printing it and planning on making it. I couldn’t handle it anymore. Just looks too incredible. :)

Chrisan — March 7, 2011 @ 10:46 am

I still have frozen wild blueberries from this past summer. I’ll definitely have to use them up after seeing this! I might have to add macadamias…only because for some reason, I associate white chocolate with macadamias most of the time.

Stevie — March 10, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

I really like your step-by-step photos. I’ve never tried a blueberry blondie before but feel certain that I’d love them (probably too much and would gain back all that weight that I’ve been trying to lose!) I do hope that you went running carefree with the kids. They won’t want to do that with you when they’re older.

Heather at FarmgirlGourmet — May 13, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Wow….seriously, what can I say that everyone else hasn’t already? They look amazing and I want to eat them RIGHT NOW! Where do you live? I’m coming over. :)

Delicious!
    Heather

Vanderbilt Wife — May 14, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Yum!! Those look delicious.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies — A Spicy Perspective -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Blueberry White Chocolate Blondies — Villeroy & Boch Blog