Simple Spelt Waffles (and EXCITING News!)

Sometimes I like to make really naughty dishes like The Quintessential Chocolate Cake or Apple Cider Cinna-Knots. Other times I like to make naughty dishes even NAUGHTIER by dipping them in chocolate or covering them with cream…

Then I straighten my halo and take a recipe the other direction. And when I’m really on my A-game, no one even notices!

These healthy spelt waffles are divine! They are light, airy and crisp. The perfect platform for pure maple syrup. Plus the spelt offers a wondrously nutty essence, that you just don’t get with plain old flour. The beauty is, these are my families favorite waffles. They do nott miss the white-processed flour. They do not miss the handful of white sugar; and they do not miss the additional 1/4 cup of oil that I took out!

So you can eat your crispy waffles on Saturday morning, without a single ounce of guilt, and still have dessert Saturday night!

Yield: 12-24 waffles

Healthy Spelt Waffles

2 ¼ cups spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
¾ cup seltzer water
¼ cup oil

Preheat your waffle iron until in scorching hot.

Mix the dry ingredients on a large bowl. Then whisk in all the wet ingredient--until smooth.

Scoop the batter onto the waffle iron and close. Cook for 2-5 minutes, then repeat.

*Try adding chopped almonds or pecans to the batter.

If I’d known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself.  ~Leon Eldred

78 Responses to “Simple Spelt Waffles (and EXCITING News!)”

denise @ bread expectations — January 30, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Congratulations on your teaching gig Sommer! Way to go GF!!!!

The spelt waffles look amazingly yummy and sinful and really not at all, in the least healthy LOL You are a very sneaky, naughty and clever girl! I’m having a bit of waffle envy here – can’t ever get mine to be perfect squares. They always come out like the weirdest looking starfish :D

Nisrine|Dinners & Dreams — January 30, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

Congrats!! I’d love to see your class.

I’m thinking about making waffles. These look amazing. Spelt is a wonderful grain.

Laura @ Family Spice — January 30, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll be great!

I’ve never cooked with spelt flour before. But if I can slather it with maple syrup, who cares if it’s good for you!

rebecca — January 30, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

lovely waffles and congrats so excited for you

Jeanne — January 30, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

I love spelt bread – but have not tried to make anything with spelt flour… looking forward to trying this!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 30, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

I’ve never baked with spelt flour before. These look so light and crispy, I’m guessing the seltzer water is one of the secrets. Can’t wait for the cooking class!

A little bit of everything — January 30, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

congratulations on your teaching lessons, Sommer.
    the waffles look so good, love the nutty flavor of the spelt flour.
    thanks for sharing, hope you’ll have a wonderful Monday

Joy — January 30, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

Exciting news about your teaching gig, congratulations! Isn’t it nice to fool people into believing you’re all behaving and being nice with your food? Such a great idea to use spelt, I like using the alternative flours since they have so much extra flavour.

By the way, the stock was sensational because my husband made it and he has the golden touch with stock. He reduced it down to a fifth of its original state and the flavour was perfectly rich without being oversalty and the fat content was perfect!

Sanjeeta kk — January 30, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

The spelt Waffles look crisp and delicious! Healthy & good idea to use spelt instead of refined flour.

Belinda @zomppa — January 30, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

What a thick, lovely waffle. Congrats on the class – looks awesome!

Sara — January 30, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

The online class is such a cool news! Date bookmarked :) and recipe too. I have never baked with spelt flour and it’s about time I try it out. Thanks for the recipe

Stephanie — January 30, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

Congrats on your class!

Your waffles look wonderful and I love that they’re healthy too! There’s nothing like homemade waffles – frozen doesn’t even compare.

Angie's Recipes — January 31, 2011 @ 12:15 am

Sommer, Congratulations!!!!!! The news is just so exciting and I am so happy for you.
    I love those waffles, you rock, really do!

Have a wonderful week!
    Angie

Jill Colonna — January 31, 2011 @ 2:42 am

BRAVO on the teaching class – looks fantastic! Spelt waffles deliciously healthy.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — January 31, 2011 @ 3:01 am

Congrats, how exciting is that?! :)

The spelt waffles look incredible. I’ve never used spelt flour in baking. What a great idea to use it in waffles.

Cherine — January 31, 2011 @ 3:56 am

Congrats!!
    Those waffles look wonderful.

Tiffany — January 31, 2011 @ 5:48 am

Oh la la! I bet the seltzer makes these so airy and amazing!

The Food Hound — January 31, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Congratulations!! I bet these waffles are good, though at first glance I always pick the naughtier recipe :) But if you say they’re delish, then I’m sure they’re delish! Besides, there’s always maple syrup!!

Treat and Trick — January 31, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Congratulations!! Such a great idea to use spelt flour, looks perfect!

Blog is the New Black — January 31, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Congrats!

Lora @cakeduchess — January 31, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Congrats on the cooking class online!! These waffles look pretty darn good for being so (ahem)healthy;) Maybe a little Nutella drizzle to make them a little less healthy?;)

Victoria @ Mission: Food — January 31, 2011 @ 9:04 am

I’ve never used spelt flour, but I’m definitely up for making guilty foods less guilty, and yet taste awesome! These look like the perfect brunch :)

Emily @Cleanliness — January 31, 2011 @ 9:31 am

1. You rock. Of course you would have this incredible opportunity, being as incredible as you are!
    2. Spelt flour rocks the Casbah. I love this recipe!

Eileen — January 31, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Those waffles looks so wholesome. Love it! Congrats on your new venture – sounds like a blast!

Monet — January 31, 2011 @ 10:14 am

I’m so happy to hear that you are going to be teaching a class on the Motherhood! How exciting. And I just love this recipe you shared with me today. I am craving waffles badly now! Thank you for sharing, my friend!

Katerina — January 31, 2011 @ 10:21 am

The waffles are indeed very fluffy and the news for the video are very exciting. Congratulations. If the time allows it I will try to connect.

sweetlife — January 31, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Congrats..can’t wait to see your vid…lovely waffles..hmm perfect for a lazy sunday..yum

sweetlife

Sonia — January 31, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

lovely waffles…and great presentation. I wud look forward to ur class !

carolinaheartstrings — January 31, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

Congrats on your teaching gig. How fun and exciting. These waffles look really amazing. I am trying them this week.

briarrose — January 31, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Delicious! I love the spelt flour.

Stella — January 31, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

Yum, Sommer! I love whole grain spelt flour. I think a lot of people are starting to take to it too, since the gluten in it is more easily digested. Plus, who wouldn’t want to eat some waffles that look this good?! Oh, and your photos look really wonderful lately…love that!

katie@cozydelicious — January 31, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

These waffles look wonderful! I have never made spelt waffles but I bet even my picky husband would go for the nutty crispy goodness. And congrats on the show!

CLAIRE — January 31, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

YAY!!! I cannot wait to watch the video class!

Emily Z — January 31, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

What great news! How exciting for you! WOW! YAY! And your waffles look wonderful! I have never tried using spelt before.

Apicius' Apprentice — January 31, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

Yay for cooking pros teaching tips and recipes! Congratulations! I can’t wait to see how it unfolds :)

Trish — January 31, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I’ve wanted to cook with spelt for some time now. I’m glad you shared your successful recipe…sounds delish! Congrats on your online cooking classes. Sounds wonderful!

Evan @swEEts — January 31, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

First off, congrats on your gig :) These waffles sound delicious.. I love healthy things in the morning. It’s a good thing I’m getting married this year because a waffle iron has been on the list for a looong time!

Cookin' Canuck — January 31, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I’m looking forward to watching the video class! We always make our waffles out of whole wheat flour, but have never tried spelt flour. Bookmarking and trying this!

Debi (Table Talk) — January 31, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

Congrats on your new opportunity! A fantastic idea.
    News to celebrate, with a healthy waffle recipe worth celebrating too~

Dmarie — January 31, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

wow, an online class…will be looking into that! I made spelt pancakes for breakfast just this morn…didn’t like them as well as my fav pancake recipe but tasty nonetheless. NEVER would’ve thought of seltzer in waffles. you’re a wizard!

torviewtoronto — January 31, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

delicious healthy waffles looks good

Julie M. — January 31, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

Beautiful waffles Sommer! I can’t wait to see your cooking class; I will definitely be there!

Jennifer — January 31, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I love spelt – it does make the best waffles and pancakes! My husband will only eat pancakes when they’re made out of spelt, and I think he would love these waffles – they look delicious!

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having — January 31, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Your pictures are making me wish I had a waffle maker :)
    I like making treats like waffles a little healthier. I’ve never tried spelt flour, I think I’ll pick up a bag and experiment!

Debbie B. — January 31, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Congrats!! SO cool and the waffles look awesome!! Yum.

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 31, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Yea! So exciting…congratulations on the online cooking class! :) These waffles look amazing!

Sanura @ MyLifeRunsOnnFood.com — January 31, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

In the future, I want a waffle iron/grill. These look delicious.

Lori — February 1, 2011 @ 7:28 am

Very exciting news. I will have to tune in to see you whip up something good.

I like your blogs new look.

I am going to try these waffles. I like spelt. I like that you dont have to whip egg whites and then combine everything. Makes it a bit easier and a bit less mess.

Biren @ Roti n Rice — February 1, 2011 @ 8:05 am

I just got a new waffle iron from CSN not too long ago and have only used it once. Your spelt waffles look so crisp and delicious! Congrats on the cooking class!

Kate @ Diethood.com — February 1, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Congratulations, Sommer! I am making a sticky note as I write. What a great opportunity to showcase your awesome talent!

I’m loving your breakfast up there… the waffles sound fantabulous!

Trix — February 1, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

That is so awesome, congratulations!!

Anna — February 1, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Congrats Sommer, that’s great news. The waffles look fantastic, and guilty free makes it even better. Have a great week girl.

Debbie — February 1, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I have never heard of spelt…is that weird…but they look delish and sound healthy! I love breakfast food for dinner…maybe tonight!

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox — February 1, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

What a wonderful description of that naughty/nice baking conundrum! I had to giggle. Because no one would notice you were totally being an angel with that spelt and almond oil. It looks sinful and decadent. Not at all healthy.
    Great news on the new online teaching class! Congrats!

blackbookkitchendiaries — February 1, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

i am so excited for you! congratulations!

this spelt waffles looks amazing:)

A Canadian Foodie — February 1, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

SOMMER!!!
    DO you see me DAN-CIN” oh yeah! Do you see me Dancin’ – OH YEAH! Party dance for YOU!
    Congratulations! Who-hoo! Wonderful for you to be doing a cooking class with this new initiative. I can’t wait to see it. Make sure you post it on your site after it is over.
    The waffles are great! I actually have this flour right now… just not a maker like yours – but give me 5 minutes! :) (That is one wickedly meaningful grin!
    Valerie

Pachecopatty — February 1, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

I just bought a bag of spelt flour so I will be trying your waffle recipe soon, maybe this weekend, why not?
    Congratulations on your video, sounds like a lot of fun;-)

Juliana — February 1, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

The waffles look yummie, and I sure would dip them into the chocolate sauce :-) Teaching cooking classes online…awesome!

Susan — February 2, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Cool new teaching thing, Sommer! It’s amazing what technology is doing for everyday folks! As for your spelt waffles, these look wonderful! I love the idea of dipping the waffle bites instead of smothering them under all the butter and maple syrup … and I love the side tidbits of healthy nuts! Kudos all around!~

Sophie — February 2, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Your spelt waffles look ooh so tasty & congrats on teaching about food! Yeah to you!!

Jay — February 2, 2011 @ 10:18 am

that looks super good…fantastic clicks..
    Tasty appetite

Kristen — February 2, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I can’t wait to see your video! Congratulations!

Those waffles are so tall and good looking. I really need to investigate spelt.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 2, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

I’ve wondered what people do with spelt flour! The waffles look yummy and your presentation is outstanding!

Gourmet Gadget Gal — February 2, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

That is really cool Sommer! I think these on-line video assignments are the wave of the future too and I bet you will be awesome!

Claudia — February 2, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

You know – I haven’t done the “spelt” thing… yet. The waffles looks so good I will give it a go. I feel so out of it Congrats on the cooking gig – you’re going to have so much fun!.

girl paris — February 2, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Hi there… I’m your new friend on Twitter = ) glad to have found your site. the photos look fabulous… you know though, I might get my knickers in a twist hunting for spelt flour here.. = )

Magic of Spice — February 3, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

These do look delicious and congratulations on your class, how fun :)

Kocinera — February 4, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Those waffles look gorgeous! I’ve been wanting to make some for a while now, but I had never heard of using spelt flour. What a great idea! Any excuse to pour even more maple syrup on my waffles is good with me! :D

Suchitra — February 5, 2011 @ 3:41 am

Congrats! you will be great with the cooking classes- waffles look amazing :)

Reeni — February 6, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Congratulations on your class! The waffles look so thick and delicious! I haven’t used spelt flour in my baking – I need to change that!

Laura — February 28, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

So, we just ate these for dinner with eggs and so forth, and let me say, they are amazing!!! I love the full spelt flour flavor and the texture was soft and delicious. I pretty much know that if I cook off your site, I will not be disappointed! ( :

JennEllen — February 12, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Awesome Waffles! Absolutely perfect! Crispy on the outside, soft & light on the inside. We loved ‘em. I’ve been searching for a great spelt recipe like this for a long time. Happy to have found your website. Can’t wait to see what I will find next. Thanks!

Katie EA — June 7, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I’m standing here making these as I type this and realized I forgot the water, so mine are super thick and I only managed to get 6 out of the batch, so I will have to try this again maybe in the evening instead of this early in the morning lol. Nothing syrup won’t fix though.

martha — January 13, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Sommer – thank you for this amazing and healthy waffle recipe! It’s becoming a Sunday morning standard in our home. One thing we tried this morning is whipping the egg whites and folding them in right before we cook the waffles – it makes them even lighter and crispier. Thanks again :)

• Sommer — January 13th, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

Great tip Martha, thanks for sharing!

Jenny Flake — May 28, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Loving these waffles! Congrats on your new opportunity Sommer!!

Jamie — March 5, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

Can you use regular water instead of seltzer water? Or some other substitution?

1. Pingback: Whole Grain Recipe Roundup - Whole Grains Month - Jeanette's Healthy Living