Simple Spelt Waffles (and EXCITING News!)

Sometimes I like to make really naughty dishes like The Quintessential Chocolate Cake or Apple Cider Cinna-Knots. Other times I like to make naughty dishes even NAUGHTIER by dipping them in chocolate or covering them with cream…

Then I straighten my halo and take a recipe the other direction. And when I’m really on my A-game, no one even notices!

These healthy spelt waffles are divine! They are light, airy and crisp. The perfect platform for pure maple syrup. Plus the spelt offers a wondrously nutty essence, that you just don’t get with plain old flour. The beauty is, these are my families favorite waffles. They do nott miss the white-processed flour. They do not miss the handful of white sugar; and they do not miss the additional 1/4 cup of oil that I took out!

So you can eat your crispy waffles on Saturday morning, without a single ounce of guilt, and still have dessert Saturday night!

Yield: 12-24 waffles

Healthy Spelt Waffles

2 ¼ cups spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
¾ cup seltzer water
¼ cup oil

Preheat your waffle iron until in scorching hot.

Mix the dry ingredients on a large bowl. Then whisk in all the wet ingredient--until smooth.

Scoop the batter onto the waffle iron and close. Cook for 2-5 minutes, then repeat.

*Try adding chopped almonds or pecans to the batter.

If I’d known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself.  ~Leon Eldred

78 Responses to “Simple Spelt Waffles (and EXCITING News!)”

Trix — February 1, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

That is so awesome, congratulations!!

Anna — February 1, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Congrats Sommer, that’s great news. The waffles look fantastic, and guilty free makes it even better. Have a great week girl.

Debbie — February 1, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I have never heard of spelt…is that weird…but they look delish and sound healthy! I love breakfast food for dinner…maybe tonight!

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox — February 1, 2011 @ 3:46 pm

What a wonderful description of that naughty/nice baking conundrum! I had to giggle. Because no one would notice you were totally being an angel with that spelt and almond oil. It looks sinful and decadent. Not at all healthy.
    Great news on the new online teaching class! Congrats!

blackbookkitchendiaries — February 1, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

i am so excited for you! congratulations!

this spelt waffles looks amazing:)

A Canadian Foodie — February 1, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

SOMMER!!!
    DO you see me DAN-CIN” oh yeah! Do you see me Dancin’ – OH YEAH! Party dance for YOU!
    Congratulations! Who-hoo! Wonderful for you to be doing a cooking class with this new initiative. I can’t wait to see it. Make sure you post it on your site after it is over.
    The waffles are great! I actually have this flour right now… just not a maker like yours – but give me 5 minutes! :) (That is one wickedly meaningful grin!
    Valerie

Pachecopatty — February 1, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

I just bought a bag of spelt flour so I will be trying your waffle recipe soon, maybe this weekend, why not?
    Congratulations on your video, sounds like a lot of fun;-)

Juliana — February 1, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

The waffles look yummie, and I sure would dip them into the chocolate sauce :-) Teaching cooking classes online…awesome!

Susan — February 2, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Cool new teaching thing, Sommer! It’s amazing what technology is doing for everyday folks! As for your spelt waffles, these look wonderful! I love the idea of dipping the waffle bites instead of smothering them under all the butter and maple syrup … and I love the side tidbits of healthy nuts! Kudos all around!~

Sophie — February 2, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Your spelt waffles look ooh so tasty & congrats on teaching about food! Yeah to you!!

Jay — February 2, 2011 @ 10:18 am

that looks super good…fantastic clicks..
    Tasty appetite

Kristen — February 2, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I can’t wait to see your video! Congratulations!

Those waffles are so tall and good looking. I really need to investigate spelt.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 2, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

I’ve wondered what people do with spelt flour! The waffles look yummy and your presentation is outstanding!

Gourmet Gadget Gal — February 2, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

That is really cool Sommer! I think these on-line video assignments are the wave of the future too and I bet you will be awesome!

Claudia — February 2, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

You know – I haven’t done the “spelt” thing… yet. The waffles looks so good I will give it a go. I feel so out of it Congrats on the cooking gig – you’re going to have so much fun!.

girl paris — February 2, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Hi there… I’m your new friend on Twitter = ) glad to have found your site. the photos look fabulous… you know though, I might get my knickers in a twist hunting for spelt flour here.. = )

Magic of Spice — February 3, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

These do look delicious and congratulations on your class, how fun :)

Kocinera — February 4, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Those waffles look gorgeous! I’ve been wanting to make some for a while now, but I had never heard of using spelt flour. What a great idea! Any excuse to pour even more maple syrup on my waffles is good with me! :D

Suchitra — February 5, 2011 @ 3:41 am

Congrats! you will be great with the cooking classes- waffles look amazing :)

Reeni — February 6, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Congratulations on your class! The waffles look so thick and delicious! I haven’t used spelt flour in my baking – I need to change that!

Laura — February 28, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

So, we just ate these for dinner with eggs and so forth, and let me say, they are amazing!!! I love the full spelt flour flavor and the texture was soft and delicious. I pretty much know that if I cook off your site, I will not be disappointed! ( :

JennEllen — February 12, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Awesome Waffles! Absolutely perfect! Crispy on the outside, soft & light on the inside. We loved ‘em. I’ve been searching for a great spelt recipe like this for a long time. Happy to have found your website. Can’t wait to see what I will find next. Thanks!

Katie EA — June 7, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I’m standing here making these as I type this and realized I forgot the water, so mine are super thick and I only managed to get 6 out of the batch, so I will have to try this again maybe in the evening instead of this early in the morning lol. Nothing syrup won’t fix though.

martha — January 13, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Sommer – thank you for this amazing and healthy waffle recipe! It’s becoming a Sunday morning standard in our home. One thing we tried this morning is whipping the egg whites and folding them in right before we cook the waffles – it makes them even lighter and crispier. Thanks again :)

• Sommer — January 13th, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

Great tip Martha, thanks for sharing!

Jenny Flake — May 28, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Loving these waffles! Congrats on your new opportunity Sommer!!

Jamie — March 5, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

Can you use regular water instead of seltzer water? Or some other substitution?

1. Pingback: Whole Grain Recipe Roundup - Whole Grains Month - Jeanette's Healthy Living