celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Simple Spelt Waffles (and EXCITING News!)

Sometimes I like to make really naughty dishes like The Quintessential Chocolate Cake or Apple Cider Cinna-Knots. Other times I like to make naughty dishes even NAUGHTIER by dipping them in chocolate or covering them with cream…

Then I straighten my halo and take a recipe the other direction. And when I’m really on my A-game, no one even notices!

These healthy spelt waffles are divine! They are light, airy and crisp. The perfect platform for pure maple syrup. Plus the spelt offers a wondrously nutty essence, that you just don’t get with plain old flour. The beauty is, these are my families favorite waffles. They do nott miss the white-processed flour. They do not miss the handful of white sugar; and they do not miss the additional 1/4 cup of oil that I took out!

So you can eat your crispy waffles on Saturday morning, without a single ounce of guilt, and still have dessert Saturday night!

Healthy Spelt Waffles

Yield: 12-24 waffles

Prep Time:5 minutes

Cook Time:5 minutes

2 ¼ cups spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
¾ cup seltzer water
¼ cup oil

Preheat your waffle iron until in scorching hot.

Mix the dry ingredients on a large bowl. Then whisk in all the wet ingredient--until smooth.

Scoop the batter onto the waffle iron and close. Cook for 2-5 minutes, then repeat.

*Try adding chopped almonds or pecans to the batter.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

If I’d known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself.  ~Leon Eldred

You May Also Like...

79 Responses to “Simple Spelt Waffles (and EXCITING News!)”

1. denise @ bread expectationsposted January 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Congratulations on your teaching gig Sommer! Way to go GF!!!!

The spelt waffles look amazingly yummy and sinful and really not at all, in the least healthy LOL You are a very sneaky, naughty and clever girl! I’m having a bit of waffle envy here – can’t ever get mine to be perfect squares. They always come out like the weirdest looking starfish :D

2. Nisrine|Dinners & Dreamsposted January 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Congrats!! I’d love to see your class.

I’m thinking about making waffles. These look amazing. Spelt is a wonderful grain.

3. Laura @ Family Spiceposted January 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll be great!

I’ve never cooked with spelt flour before. But if I can slather it with maple syrup, who cares if it’s good for you!

4. rebeccaposted January 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

lovely waffles and congrats so excited for you

5. Jeanneposted January 30, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I love spelt bread – but have not tried to make anything with spelt flour… looking forward to trying this!!

6. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted January 30, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I’ve never baked with spelt flour before. These look so light and crispy, I’m guessing the seltzer water is one of the secrets. Can’t wait for the cooking class!

7. A little bit of everythingposted January 30, 2011 at 10:39 pm

congratulations on your teaching lessons, Sommer.
    the waffles look so good, love the nutty flavor of the spelt flour.
    thanks for sharing, hope you’ll have a wonderful Monday

8. Joyposted January 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Exciting news about your teaching gig, congratulations! Isn’t it nice to fool people into believing you’re all behaving and being nice with your food? Such a great idea to use spelt, I like using the alternative flours since they have so much extra flavour.

By the way, the stock was sensational because my husband made it and he has the golden touch with stock. He reduced it down to a fifth of its original state and the flavour was perfectly rich without being oversalty and the fat content was perfect!

9. Sanjeeta kkposted January 30, 2011 at 11:16 pm

The spelt Waffles look crisp and delicious! Healthy & good idea to use spelt instead of refined flour.

10. Belinda @zomppaposted January 30, 2011 at 11:28 pm

What a thick, lovely waffle. Congrats on the class – looks awesome!

11. Saraposted January 30, 2011 at 11:33 pm

The online class is such a cool news! Date bookmarked :) and recipe too. I have never baked with spelt flour and it’s about time I try it out. Thanks for the recipe

12. Stephanieposted January 30, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Congrats on your class!

Your waffles look wonderful and I love that they’re healthy too! There’s nothing like homemade waffles – frozen doesn’t even compare.

13. Angie's Recipesposted January 31, 2011 at 12:15 am

Sommer, Congratulations!!!!!! The news is just so exciting and I am so happy for you.
    I love those waffles, you rock, really do!

Have a wonderful week!
    Angie

14. Jill Colonnaposted January 31, 2011 at 2:42 am

BRAVO on the teaching class – looks fantastic! Spelt waffles deliciously healthy.

15. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagelsposted January 31, 2011 at 3:01 am

Congrats, how exciting is that?! :)

The spelt waffles look incredible. I’ve never used spelt flour in baking. What a great idea to use it in waffles.

16. Cherineposted January 31, 2011 at 3:56 am

Congrats!!
    Those waffles look wonderful.

17. Tiffanyposted January 31, 2011 at 5:48 am

Oh la la! I bet the seltzer makes these so airy and amazing!

18. The Food Houndposted January 31, 2011 at 7:21 am

Congratulations!! I bet these waffles are good, though at first glance I always pick the naughtier recipe :) But if you say they’re delish, then I’m sure they’re delish! Besides, there’s always maple syrup!!

19. Treat and Trickposted January 31, 2011 at 7:51 am

Congratulations!! Such a great idea to use spelt flour, looks perfect!

20. Blog is the New Blackposted January 31, 2011 at 8:00 am

Congrats!

21. Lora @cakeduchessposted January 31, 2011 at 8:05 am

Congrats on the cooking class online!! These waffles look pretty darn good for being so (ahem)healthy;) Maybe a little Nutella drizzle to make them a little less healthy?;)

22. Emily @Cleanlinessposted January 31, 2011 at 9:31 am

1. You rock. Of course you would have this incredible opportunity, being as incredible as you are!
    2. Spelt flour rocks the Casbah. I love this recipe!

23. Victoria @ Mission: Foodposted January 31, 2011 at 9:04 am

I’ve never used spelt flour, but I’m definitely up for making guilty foods less guilty, and yet taste awesome! These look like the perfect brunch :)

24. Eileenposted January 31, 2011 at 10:00 am

Those waffles looks so wholesome. Love it! Congrats on your new venture – sounds like a blast!

25. Monetposted January 31, 2011 at 10:14 am

I’m so happy to hear that you are going to be teaching a class on the Motherhood! How exciting. And I just love this recipe you shared with me today. I am craving waffles badly now! Thank you for sharing, my friend!

26. Katerinaposted January 31, 2011 at 10:21 am

The waffles are indeed very fluffy and the news for the video are very exciting. Congratulations. If the time allows it I will try to connect.

27. sweetlifeposted January 31, 2011 at 11:23 am

Congrats..can’t wait to see your vid…lovely waffles..hmm perfect for a lazy sunday..yum

sweetlife

28. Soniaposted January 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

lovely waffles…and great presentation. I wud look forward to ur class !

29. carolinaheartstringsposted January 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Congrats on your teaching gig. How fun and exciting. These waffles look really amazing. I am trying them this week.

30. briarroseposted January 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Delicious! I love the spelt flour.

31. Stellaposted January 31, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Yum, Sommer! I love whole grain spelt flour. I think a lot of people are starting to take to it too, since the gluten in it is more easily digested. Plus, who wouldn’t want to eat some waffles that look this good?! Oh, and your photos look really wonderful lately…love that!

32. katie@cozydeliciousposted January 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

These waffles look wonderful! I have never made spelt waffles but I bet even my picky husband would go for the nutty crispy goodness. And congrats on the show!

33. CLAIREposted January 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

YAY!!! I cannot wait to watch the video class!

34. Emily Zposted January 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm

What great news! How exciting for you! WOW! YAY! And your waffles look wonderful! I have never tried using spelt before.

35. Apicius' Apprenticeposted January 31, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Yay for cooking pros teaching tips and recipes! Congratulations! I can’t wait to see how it unfolds :)

36. Trishposted January 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’ve wanted to cook with spelt for some time now. I’m glad you shared your successful recipe…sounds delish! Congrats on your online cooking classes. Sounds wonderful!

37. Evan @swEEtsposted January 31, 2011 at 4:42 pm

First off, congrats on your gig :) These waffles sound delicious.. I love healthy things in the morning. It’s a good thing I’m getting married this year because a waffle iron has been on the list for a looong time!

38. Cookin' Canuckposted January 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I’m looking forward to watching the video class! We always make our waffles out of whole wheat flour, but have never tried spelt flour. Bookmarking and trying this!

39. Debi (Table Talk)posted January 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Congrats on your new opportunity! A fantastic idea.
    News to celebrate, with a healthy waffle recipe worth celebrating too~

40. Dmarieposted January 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

wow, an online class…will be looking into that! I made spelt pancakes for breakfast just this morn…didn’t like them as well as my fav pancake recipe but tasty nonetheless. NEVER would’ve thought of seltzer in waffles. you’re a wizard!

41. torviewtorontoposted January 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm

delicious healthy waffles looks good

42. Julie M.posted January 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Beautiful waffles Sommer! I can’t wait to see your cooking class; I will definitely be there!

43. Jenniferposted January 31, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love spelt – it does make the best waffles and pancakes! My husband will only eat pancakes when they’re made out of spelt, and I think he would love these waffles – they look delicious!

44. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Havingposted January 31, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Your pictures are making me wish I had a waffle maker :)
    I like making treats like waffles a little healthier. I’ve never tried spelt flour, I think I’ll pick up a bag and experiment!

45. Debbie B.posted January 31, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Congrats!! SO cool and the waffles look awesome!! Yum.

46. Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchenposted January 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Yea! So exciting…congratulations on the online cooking class! :) These waffles look amazing!

47. Sanura @ MyLifeRunsOnnFood.composted January 31, 2011 at 10:46 pm

In the future, I want a waffle iron/grill. These look delicious.

48. Loriposted February 1, 2011 at 7:28 am

Very exciting news. I will have to tune in to see you whip up something good.

I like your blogs new look.

I am going to try these waffles. I like spelt. I like that you dont have to whip egg whites and then combine everything. Makes it a bit easier and a bit less mess.

49. Biren @ Roti n Riceposted February 1, 2011 at 8:05 am

I just got a new waffle iron from CSN not too long ago and have only used it once. Your spelt waffles look so crisp and delicious! Congrats on the cooking class!

50. Kate @ Diethood.composted February 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

Congratulations, Sommer! I am making a sticky note as I write. What a great opportunity to showcase your awesome talent!

I’m loving your breakfast up there… the waffles sound fantabulous!

51. Trixposted February 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

That is so awesome, congratulations!!

52. Annaposted February 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Congrats Sommer, that’s great news. The waffles look fantastic, and guilty free makes it even better. Have a great week girl.

53. Debbieposted February 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I have never heard of spelt…is that weird…but they look delish and sound healthy! I love breakfast food for dinner…maybe tonight!

54. Amanda @ bakingwithoutaboxposted February 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm

What a wonderful description of that naughty/nice baking conundrum! I had to giggle. Because no one would notice you were totally being an angel with that spelt and almond oil. It looks sinful and decadent. Not at all healthy.
    Great news on the new online teaching class! Congrats!

55. blackbookkitchendiariesposted February 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm

i am so excited for you! congratulations!

this spelt waffles looks amazing:)

56. A Canadian Foodieposted February 1, 2011 at 5:42 pm

SOMMER!!!
    DO you see me DAN-CIN” oh yeah! Do you see me Dancin’ – OH YEAH! Party dance for YOU!
    Congratulations! Who-hoo! Wonderful for you to be doing a cooking class with this new initiative. I can’t wait to see it. Make sure you post it on your site after it is over.
    The waffles are great! I actually have this flour right now… just not a maker like yours – but give me 5 minutes! :) (That is one wickedly meaningful grin!
    Valerie

57. Pachecopattyposted February 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I just bought a bag of spelt flour so I will be trying your waffle recipe soon, maybe this weekend, why not?
    Congratulations on your video, sounds like a lot of fun;-)

58. Julianaposted February 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

The waffles look yummie, and I sure would dip them into the chocolate sauce :-) Teaching cooking classes online…awesome!

59. Susanposted February 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

Cool new teaching thing, Sommer! It’s amazing what technology is doing for everyday folks! As for your spelt waffles, these look wonderful! I love the idea of dipping the waffle bites instead of smothering them under all the butter and maple syrup … and I love the side tidbits of healthy nuts! Kudos all around!~

60. Sophieposted February 2, 2011 at 9:22 am

Your spelt waffles look ooh so tasty & congrats on teaching about food! Yeah to you!!

61. Jayposted February 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

that looks super good…fantastic clicks..
    Tasty appetite

62. Kristenposted February 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

I can’t wait to see your video! Congratulations!

Those waffles are so tall and good looking. I really need to investigate spelt.

63. Amy at TheSceneFromMeposted February 2, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’ve wondered what people do with spelt flour! The waffles look yummy and your presentation is outstanding!

64. Gourmet Gadget Galposted February 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

That is really cool Sommer! I think these on-line video assignments are the wave of the future too and I bet you will be awesome!

65. Claudiaposted February 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You know – I haven’t done the “spelt” thing… yet. The waffles looks so good I will give it a go. I feel so out of it Congrats on the cooking gig – you’re going to have so much fun!.

66. girl parisposted February 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Hi there… I’m your new friend on Twitter = ) glad to have found your site. the photos look fabulous… you know though, I might get my knickers in a twist hunting for spelt flour here.. = )

67. Magic of Spiceposted February 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm

These do look delicious and congratulations on your class, how fun :)

68. Kocineraposted February 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Those waffles look gorgeous! I’ve been wanting to make some for a while now, but I had never heard of using spelt flour. What a great idea! Any excuse to pour even more maple syrup on my waffles is good with me! :D

69. Suchitraposted February 5, 2011 at 3:41 am

Congrats! you will be great with the cooking classes- waffles look amazing :)

70. Reeniposted February 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Congratulations on your class! The waffles look so thick and delicious! I haven’t used spelt flour in my baking – I need to change that!

71. Lauraposted February 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm

So, we just ate these for dinner with eggs and so forth, and let me say, they are amazing!!! I love the full spelt flour flavor and the texture was soft and delicious. I pretty much know that if I cook off your site, I will not be disappointed! ( :

72. JennEllenposted February 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Awesome Waffles! Absolutely perfect! Crispy on the outside, soft & light on the inside. We loved ‘em. I’ve been searching for a great spelt recipe like this for a long time. Happy to have found your website. Can’t wait to see what I will find next. Thanks!

73. Katie EAposted June 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’m standing here making these as I type this and realized I forgot the water, so mine are super thick and I only managed to get 6 out of the batch, so I will have to try this again maybe in the evening instead of this early in the morning lol. Nothing syrup won’t fix though.

74. marthaposted January 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

Sommer – thank you for this amazing and healthy waffle recipe! It’s becoming a Sunday morning standard in our home. One thing we tried this morning is whipping the egg whites and folding them in right before we cook the waffles – it makes them even lighter and crispier. Thanks again :)

• Sommer — January 13th, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

Great tip Martha, thanks for sharing!

75. Jenny Flakeposted May 28, 2013 at 9:20 am

Loving these waffles! Congrats on your new opportunity Sommer!!

76. Pingback: Whole Grain Recipe Roundup - Whole Grains Month - Jeanette's Healthy Living

77. Jamieposted March 5, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Can you use regular water instead of seltzer water? Or some other substitution?

78. Pingback: 1 Lunch + 2 Snacks #26 - Lunching Daily | Lunching Daily