Seared Scallops and Wilted Greens

Welcome to the NEW and improved A Spicy Perspective!

I’m so excited about my site makeover and hope you find it easier to use and aesthetically pleasing. Here are a few of the features I hope you’ll enjoy:

All the recipes are categorized in the blue toolbar to make it easy to find what you are looking for.

Each post has a print-friendly version of the recipe at the bottom that eliminates photos (and wasted paper!)

I’ve added a page dedicated to my beloved city with all Asheville-related articles, restaurant features, and recipes.

The SUBSCRIBE buttons are easier to access.

I now have my very own link button! If you’d like to add an ASP badge to your site, be my guest.

NOTE~ As I’ve moved from Blogger to WordPress, Google “Followers” have been lost. If you were a subscriber through Blogger, PLEASE re-subscribe above. Thanks!

My web designer was Shauna Callaghan from See My Design By Shauna. She was EXTREMELY easy to work with–efficient, knowledgeable, fast to respond and friendly. If you are looking for web design or graphics, I highly recommend her. Thank you Shauna, you are the most patient women in the world! *wink*

On to the food…

The first time I ever seared scallops was on my honeymoon. Hubs and I got married  right after college almost twelve years ago. We decided that before we had to dive into our new “grown-up” careers, we would spend a month in Colorado, hiking, visiting natural hot springs, rafting, horse-back riding and taking LOTS of kissy pictures. We were cute, possibly a little too cute!

One evening we planned to stay in the cabin and cook. Being our honeymoon, we wanted to prepare something fancy, seared scallops perhaps. Now I had some cooking experience, but coming from a family with five kids, we didn’t eat a lot of seafood or expensive proteins.

Like many new cooks, I was afraid of the possibility of raw seafood. The word BACTERIA kept trailing through my thoughts. What if I poisoned my new husband? The image of us sitting in the ER on our honeymoon was more than I could bare. So I sautéed the scallops…and sautéed the scallops. And sautéed, sautéed, sautéed–until at some point they ceased to be moist, buttery pillows of oceanic bliss, and turned into dense rubber balls. Similar to those you get out of a 25 cent slot machine!

My sweet new hubby complemented my dinner as he struggled to chew. Upon first bite my teeth trampolined off the scallops. Oh dear, what had I done?

The truth is, many people overcook seafood. Whether due to fear of bacteria or oversight, it’s an absolute travesty! Most varieties of seafood are best when  just barely cooked through. Seared scallops are actually considered to be cooked to perfection when the top and bottom are caramelized and crisp, but the inside is a touch undercooked. Usually 1-2 minutes per side over high heat will do the job!

Here I’ve paired some “colossal” jumbo scallops with wilted greens and served them over white beans for a Slow Carb meal. The acidity in the greens make them the perfect complement to devilishly rich scallops. This could be served over grits, potatoes, or mashed cauliflower, for and elegant low-country meal!

To prepare:

Slice the kale stems into thin pieces and the leaves into larger strips. Heat a large, deep pan to medium-high.  Add the bacon a cook 3-4 minutes.

Then add the shallots and cook until soft—3 more minutes.

Next add the garlic, and kale STEMS.

Cook another 4-5 minutes before adding the leaves. Toss until wilted over the heat. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, then salt and pepper to taste.  Keep warm.

Heat an iron skillet to high.

Removes the “foot” off the side of each scallop and dry them thoroughly–then salt and pepper.

Add the oil to the pan and swirl around. When it starts to smoke, quickly add the scallops.  Cook on high for about 1-2 minutes.

Flip the scallops and add the butter.  Spoon the butter over the scallops as they cook another 1-2 minutes. Serve over warm greens.

Yield: 4 servings

Seared Scallops with Wilted Greens

3 slices of thick-cut bacon cut into pieces
2 shallots, sliced thin
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches of kale (chard, beet greens…)
1 Tb. soy sauce
1 Tb. Red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
12 large sea scallops
2 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. butter

Slice the kale stems into thin pieces and the leaves into larger strips.

Heat a large, deep pan to medium-high. Add the bacon a cook 3-4 minutes.

Then add the shallots and cook until soft—3 more minutes.

Next add the garlic, and kale STEMS. Cook another 4-5 minutes before adding the leaves. Toss until wilted over the heat.

Add the soy sauce, vinegar, then salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.

Heat an iron skillet to high. Dry the scallops thoroughly, then salt and pepper.

Add the oil to the pan and swirl around. When it starts to smoke, quickly add the scallops. Cook on high for about 1-2 minutes.

Flip the scallops and add the butter. Spoon the butter over the scallops as they cook another 1-2 minutes. Serve over warm greens.

Seared Scallops with Wilted Greens on Foodista

59 Responses to “Seared Scallops and Wilted Greens”

Belinda @zomppa — January 16, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

First, I love sea scallops and these are beautiful. Second, I LOVE the new look!! It’s GORGEOUS and happy. Easy follow you on Twitter now!

Katerina — January 17, 2011 @ 1:41 am

Isn’t it a shame that we don’t have scallops here in Greece? This dish looks perfect and I love the new blog look.

MaryMoh — January 17, 2011 @ 2:53 am

Love the new look….neat and easy to navigate. Love your scallop, too. I love to eat scallops but have not learned to cook. You made it look simple and easy to cook. Beautiful pictures.

Lea Ann — January 17, 2011 @ 6:04 am

Welcome to WordPress. I happen to be a WP Fan. The new site looks great and love the idea to add the Ashville Page. I could do that with Highlands Ranch. I love that first photo Sommer. The scallops look beautiful but adore that lime green plate. Must be Fiestaware. I got my nerve up a couple of months ago and trusted my cast iron skillet to a very delicate piece of sea bass. Couldn’t believe how well it worked and it looks like to worked it’s searing charm on these scallops.

fooddreamer — January 17, 2011 @ 7:55 am

I love scallops but my husband does not so I never make them at home. I wonder if I could change his opinion with this delicious dish!?!?
    PS – I got your FB and Twitter messages and responded. Perhaps you aren’t getting those? So, here is my email… carketch29 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

I am very interested and want to hear more about how it all works.

Evan Thomas — January 17, 2011 @ 9:04 am

The site looks so good! As does the dish; I love crunchy kale in anything.

Kristen — January 17, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I love the new site. The scallops, I love even more. They are one of my favorite seafoods. Yours look wonderful.

Lindsey at Burn Me Not — January 17, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Looks amazing! I want this for dinner tonight! Yum. :)

Kate @ Diethood.com — January 17, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Your scallops look amazing! And you’ve got bacon in there? YUM!
    Beautiful photos!

Apicius' Apprentice — January 17, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Sommer, I can’t tell you how much I love the step by step photos! I’ve never made scallops before but man this does make me want to try my hand at them. I love the new site too. Your pictures (and recipes) really POP on here :p

My Kitchen in the Rockies — January 17, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Sommer, your new blog look is gorgeous. I love the clean look, how the pictures are framed and the gray behind the recipe box. Your logo is perfect! I have my husband working on mine at the moment. We already bought the theme and I am very excited. I will be moving from blogger to my own domain using WP. Shauna did a wonderful job for you.
    And the scallops came out perfectly crisp using the cast iron pan. This is a dish cooked for my husband!

Monet — January 17, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Your site looks AMAZING. I’m bringing my husband over to see it so he can get an idea of what I want when we work on my own. Wow! And this scallop dish is beautiful. I loved hearing about your first time cooking scallops too (I had an almost identical experience) Thank you for sharing with me…and for your sweet words on my blog. You made me smile!

Melanie Flinn — January 17, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Beautiful! I love seared scallops. Never tried the kale though. Your site looks great!

Steve @ HPD — January 17, 2011 @ 11:12 am

Love, love, love the new layout. Cheers!

Jennifurla — January 17, 2011 @ 11:37 am

Great post to start off with, gorgeous job on the revamp! I look forward to more…I think I need a revamp! ha

pachecopatty — January 17, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I love your new home, thanks for sharing your web site designer’s name. Everything looks great and so well organized! The photos are big and clear, looks so professional and delicious. Congratulations:’)

I also like this recipe for sea scallops, lots of yummy kale makes a healthy dish;-)

Angie's Recipes — January 17, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Sommer, I love you paired them with cooked greens…well-balanced and delicious!

A Canadian Foodie — January 17, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

I have told you I love your new lokk – but you have made this such a fun sight to play around in! And, YUM. I love scallops. And, your green pot. It is exactly the same as mine! The bean recipe looks great and it is my goal to eat more of these this year, for sure.
    Valerie

Stella — January 17, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Hey Sommer, this is mood food!! I don’t know if you think of it that way, but scallops are high in magnesium. A mineral that is key for proper mood (4 out of 5 Americans are deficient in it!). Then there are the nutrient rich greens and protein rich beans-la perfeccion:-) Ooh, and I can see that you’ve learned a lot about seafood since the early days. Delicious looking these scallops are!

Lynn — January 17, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Just curious, what’s a “beat” green?
    lol, this sounds fantastic.
    I LOVE scallops, but I’m going to try this with local North Carolina wild shrimp (they are on sale here in NC now), and I bet it’ll taste great!! Can’t BEET it!!

• Sommer — January 17th, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Ha! Thanks for the correction. My editor (hubby) must have missed it!

Lynn — January 17, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

PS, I clicked on the PRINT version and got the whole dam post PLUS THE COMMENTS. It’s STILL PRINTING. I cancelled it, of course, but I can’t afford the ink!!!!!!!!!!! What happened?????

• Sommer — January 17th, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Sorry dear! I’ll check into it…

• Sommer — January 17th, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Lynn~ It printed on ONE sheet for me. No pictures!?!

Jenni — January 17, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Scallops and greens are two of my favorite foods. Can’t wait to try this one.

The site looks great!

Chef Dennis — January 17, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

Sommer

I do believe that is one of the most perfect dishes I have seen in a while!! Those lovely scallops cooked to perfection, on top of bitter greens with bacon , over white beans….wow!! All those great flavors working together to create such a memorable meal!
    Cheers
    Dennis

Marisa — January 17, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

Wow–love the new page! It looks so professional! This dish looks so good. I just love scallops. Great tip and photo about the scallop foot–it is surprising how many people don’t know about that!

Juliana — January 17, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

Sommer, love scallop and the idea of serving in a bed of yummie veggies is sure very tempting…beautifully presented :-)

A Little Yumminess — January 17, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

I like the NEW look! Easy on the eyes. Looks like yummy dish..I have never made scallops and I dont know why! :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice — January 17, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

Congrats on your new site…it’s gorgeous! I love scallops and this dish looks really yummy with the wilted kale.

Tiffany — January 17, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Great new site! CONGRATS!

sweetlife — January 17, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

loving the new site, i really need to work on mine..thanks for the link..your scallops are stunning..and how cute..kissy pics, how fun!!

sweetlife

Suchitra — January 18, 2011 @ 5:47 am

Congrats! the new site looks goooood! Keep inspiring us with your lovely recipes :)

Debi (Table Talk) — January 18, 2011 @ 6:39 am

Beautiful caramelization on the scallops! They are a nice addition to this seasonal dish; that is as good for you as it looks!

something_good — January 18, 2011 @ 10:19 am

scallops are the best seafood ever! I love them and I put them in any number of plates. My biggest wish is to put them in a dessert :)

Victoria @ Mission: Food — January 18, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Love the new layout! Congrats on the move to WordPress, I really am loving the new graphics as well! These scallops look fantastic, and the wilted greens are an excellent bed for them.

Susan — January 18, 2011 @ 11:55 am

Great new look, Sommer! As for the scallops … perfect advice on searing! I do love a velvety scallop with just the right amount of crunch on the outside! Love your treatment on the bed of wilted kale … so healthy and tasty!

Emily Z — January 18, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

I LOVE the new look! It is definitely pleasing to the eye. I have never made my own scallops but I enjoy them and would love to try my hand at it sometime. Yours look absolutely beautiful.

Christine @ Cook the Story — January 18, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I really love your new site. And wow, I cannot wait to try those scallops!

I have a question: Where did you get your BlogHer Food 2011 I’m Going Badge? I’ve been searching and I can’t seem to find it.

Thanks!

Sprinkled with Flour — January 18, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

Oooh, I love seafood but don’t get to eat it very often (the husband won’t eat it) This recipe sounds good enough to make just for myself though!

Sanura — January 18, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

WOW!!! Color! It goes so well with the name of your site.

You’re right about scallops being overcooked. It’s one of my favorite luxurious seafood dishes. It’s also easy and fast to cook for a delicious weekday meal, especially when paired with wilted greens.

5 Star Foodie — January 18, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

Your new site look is terrific and so are those delicious looking scallops!

Sophie — January 19, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Wel, Sommer! This is my type of tasty food! I love fresh scallops & I love kale too!

I also love your new blog!! Hip & trendy is it!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris — January 19, 2011 @ 11:37 am

Wowwww!! Where was I that I missed all this “metarmophosis”????!!! The site is great!! Now, I had the impression you were blonde, now I see a lovely brunette !!! Yes, I know…we are supposed to talk food here..but it is girls’ stuff also… ;D
    I love everything…the scallops included !!!

Kocinera — January 19, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

First of all, I totally LOVE your new site! It’s gorgeous!!

Those scallops look fantastic, too! I’ve never actually eaten scallops before, but they seem pretty simple to prepare. Thanks for demystifying them a bit. :D

Sommer J — January 19, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

LOVE your new site. It is so gorgeous and do I dare say…sommery? hehe. I get the sommer jokes as I am sure you do as well! Luckily I found you on twitter, because I was wondering what happened to you!

I love everything about this recipe! I loooooooove scallops and I love beans even more. Unfortunately, I will have to hunt for kale, though at the Farmer’s market in a town adjacent to mine had some so maybe I’ll luck out this weekend? This has me drooling!

Barbara — January 19, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

uhhh……… yeeah this looks awesome!

Dmarie — January 19, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

tickled with your new changes. Will definitely be adding you to my Google reader! I tried to do that when I first discovered your blog and it didn’t work. Wish me luck this time…it’ll be easier to keep up with your new posts. Thanks, Spicy, congrats on your newly renovated/even more lovely site!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table — January 19, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

Kissy pics?? hee hee ….think we’ve all been there LOL

This is perfection – love the pairing of classy scallops with down home bacon-y kale and beans! I would inhale two servings of this in as many heartbeats. Told you before but I’ll say it again – GORGEOUS new site. Love, love, love it!

Mark — January 21, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Cooked to perfection. Nice job on the dish.

I love your new site! Beautiful combination of colors and design. Well done.

The dish is gorgeous too. What a fantastic way to make greens look very sophisticated.

Magdalena — January 28, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

HELLO;

I am impressed by your set-by-step instructions; it is really a pain in the ass to publish post like that!

The idea of dish is great; however probably replace scallops by some other sea animals (I was very sick once after eating scallops when I was pregnant and the bad after taste continues).

Best regards,,
    M

Alta — January 31, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Gah, this looks good! Love everything about it! Bacon, kale, beans, SCALLOPS…yum. And that sear on the scallops looks divine.

best acne treatment — February 5, 2011 @ 10:34 pm

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …

vanessa — March 12, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

I just made this for lunch and it was delicious! thanks!

GiGi Eats Celebrities — March 25, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Pure and utter YUM! Shallots, garlic, scallops – CANNOT go wrong there! And such a perfect way to get kale into your diet! I totally need to buy scallops, it’s such a shame that they’re so expensive though!

Mary Abrahamson — March 11, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

I noticed in this post you said to pat the scallops dry. Before reading this and trying it, I had no idea HOW IMPORTANT that step actually is. Without it, a sear is a hard thing to master. I used this tip to create a little dish of my own! You should check it out. Pan-seared scallops with orange-garlic and wine sauce! YUMMMM.

Thanks for the inspiration!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Seared Scallops with Wilted Greens and White Beans — A Spicy Perspective -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Seared Scallops over Wilted Greens « Just the Tip