Grapefruit Basil Sorbet

Happy 2011, friends! I hope I find you fully recovered from your New Year’s Eve party, and another year healthier, wealthier, and wiser!

I’m refreshed and ready to dive into a new year of fabulous dishes, accompanied by butt-busting workouts!

Yeah, that’s how I roll. Blog-worthy meals generally equal EXTRA curves–especially after the holidays. So I’ve vowed to “cleanse my system” with health-concious meals over the next fews weeks…and pick up my hefty workouts where I left off in early December. My health-nut friends would be so proud!

The only problem is I NEED dessert. Like air. I’m not going to tell you that I will completely eliminate sweets; it’s just not possible. Solution? Lighter, leaner treats. I’ll just think of it as a personal challenge.

My sweet hubby got me a new ice cream machine for Christmas. (Apparently he likes extra curves!) Our old machine bit the dust last spring and I managed to make it through the summer and fall without one!

We decided to give it a spin starting with a light lemon sorbet. Only, there were just 2 lemons in the fridge–not nearly enough for sorbet.

Instead we used freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and HOLY HEAVEN, was it good! Dare I say BETTER than plain lemon sorbet?

This delightfully addictive sorbet offers a slightly bitter and tart bite, balanced by fresh sweet basil leaves. It makes your tongue dance a little jig! It’s so lovely, I would consider giving up chocolate for this sorbet! (Please don’t hold me to that.)

High on flavor, low on guilt…at least for now!

Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling add the lemon zest, basil leaves and salt. Stir, remove from heat, and cover. Steep the basil leaves in the simple syrup for at least 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the lemon juice to a 4-cup measuring pitcher. Juice the grapefruits into the pitcher until you’ve measured 3 cups of combined juices.

Strain the simple syrup and discard the basil leaves. Then mix the syrup with the juice. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or to speed up, put in the freezer for 1 hour.)

Pour the sorbet mixture into an electric ice cream maker. Turn on and mix for 20+ minutes, until the mixture reaches a “soft serve” consistency.

Eat the sorbet immediately, or put in an airtight container and freeze.

After frozen, allow the sorbet to sit out for 10-15 minutes to soften before serving.

Makes approximately 1 ½ quarts of heaven!

*If you don’t own an ice cream machine, you could freeze the mixture and shave it with a spoon for “Italian Ice.”

Yield: 1.5 quarts

Prep Time: 35 minutes active time

Grapefruit Basil Sorbet

2 cups water
1 ¾ cups sugar
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 packed cup of basil leaves
pinch of salt
4 large ruby red grapefruits, juiced

Meanwhile, add the lemon juice to a 4-cup measuring pitcher. Juice the grapefruits into the pitcher until you’ve measured 3 cups of combined juices.

Eat the sorbet immediately, or put in an airtight container and freeze.

60 Responses to “Grapefruit Basil Sorbet”

Belinda @zomppa — January 3, 2011 @ 2:59 am

What a fantastic gift!!! Great delicate flavors…I need dessert, too!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 3, 2011 @ 2:59 am

I'm so with you – I need need dessert like air too! I don't know about giving up chocolate for sorbet however :-) I am a little overloaded on rich desserts at the moment, so something light and refreshing like this sounds really appealing right about now.

bleejones — January 3, 2011 @ 3:06 am

ok – this sounds SOOOOO good to me RIGHT NOW! i love sorbet and i love you! :)

njw — January 3, 2011 @ 3:56 am

This sounds divine Sommer! I am big time craving citrus, grapefruit sorbet is right up my alley!

Chow and Chatter — January 3, 2011 @ 5:30 am

oh la la love this love grapefruit fab recipe could I add it to a FL citrus blog and link to you?

rebecca

rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

BakingWithoutABox — January 3, 2011 @ 5:34 am

Oh that looks wonderful. Such a great combination of zest and zing. Perfect healthier dessert to get the new year off right. Yay for hubs buying the ice cream maker!

sara @ CaffeIna — January 3, 2011 @ 5:37 am

I also need to reduce desserts but could not completely give up on them…also because otherwise I should stop blogging. I like the idea of sorbets. I'll have to put the ice cream maker in my wish list. Happy new year!

Ang — January 3, 2011 @ 6:11 am

Um….I need to make this. Basil is like most people's ranch. I put it in, and on, just about everything. This is the perfect lite treat to start out the New Year. Thanks!!

The Cilantropist — January 3, 2011 @ 8:13 am

I bet this tastes INCREDIBLE! Extra points for hubby since he got you a new ice cream maker for Christmas, well done. :) I think I can use this recipe to get my new years resolutions started too!

Cherine — January 3, 2011 @ 8:26 am

A great gift!!!
    This sorbet looks wonderful, it's what i need right now!!!

Lizzy — January 3, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Ooh, I like this lighter dessert…what a marvelous flavor combination!

Kristen — January 3, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

If this is any indication, I cannot wait to see what else you make with your new ice cream maker. This sounds fantabulous!!

Lea Ann — January 3, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

You're going to love that ice cream maker. I use mine quite a bit and it's so much better than bought. Happy New Year.

Kate — January 3, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

This will be the palate cleanser at our next dinnner party. Beautiful sorbet!

Boulder Locavore — January 3, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

I'm intrigued! The idea of grapefruit anything after weeks of holiday cocktails and sugar sounds like it could strip my palate back to some semblance of normalcy (and so refreshingly so). I've seen recipes for more exotic frozen recipes like this but have not dipped my toe in that water yet. You've given me motivation!

Evan Thomas — January 3, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Yum! I don't typically like plain grapefruits because they're too tart for me, but I bet this has just the right amount of sweetness to be fantastic.

Stella — January 3, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Ooh, healthy, refreshing yumminess! Your sorbet sounds so good and seasonally appropriate too:) Grapefruits are so nice here in Florida right now…

Cake Duchess — January 3, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Dessert is like air for me too!;) What a wonderful gift. I got a machine this fall for my bday and have loved experimenting with new flavors. I love this combo!

Evan @swEEts — January 3, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

I have to be another one to say that I love desserts just as much as you and I could never eliminate them from my meals! This sorbet looks delicious.. I love grapefruit.. I'm so glad I got Mountain Man an ice cream maker for Christmas last year :)

Monet — January 3, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

I can only imagine how flavorful and refreshing this must taste. We adore grapefruits, and I know that this sorbet would be just perfect. Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I hope you have a lovely start to your week!

Biren @ Roti n Rice — January 3, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Sounds good to me! We purchased an ice cream maker in the fall but haven't used it much. This would be a good recipe to try. Happy New Year, Sommer!

Kate @ Diethood.com — January 3, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Oh my, I love sorbet and this recipe sounds really gooood. Never thought of making it with grapefruits, but now I will! Thank you for sharing!

Carolyn — January 3, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

This is so flippin' pretty! Yum. Like you, I NEED dessert. Which is why I make so many low carb things, so I can still indulge without sending myself into a diabetic coma ;)

Angie's Recipes — January 3, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Ha! You need dessert just like air. ;-) I love that.
    This looks so good!
    I wish your 2011 filled with love, good health and happiness!
    Angie

Roxan — January 3, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Ooo this looks amazing. I wonder how it would turn out with honey instead of sugar? Yum!

Emily Z — January 3, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

I saw this on your Facebook and thought the flavors sounded like such an amazing combination. So good!

briarrose — January 3, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

Ehehehe….butt busting workouts. ;) Love the flavors you picked for your sorbet. So tasty.

Magic of Spice — January 3, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous recipe…these flavors would be so splendid :) Speaking of…you got an ice cream makes, so cool! (pardon the pun)

Torviewtoronto — January 3, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

beautiful dessert happy new year

Priya Sreeram — January 4, 2011 @ 12:08 am

This is a good one ! Have a Great 2011 Sommer !

Chef Dennis — January 4, 2011 @ 12:30 am

what a perfect dessert to compensate for all the extra cookies we had over the holidays! Grapefruit is truly an underused fruit, and when its good its really good! I hope to see many new frozen creations from you this year!
    Cheers
    Dennis

5 Star Foodie — January 4, 2011 @ 2:04 am

Wow, what a delightful dessert – light and guilt free! A unique combination of grapefruit and basil, excellent!

sweetlife — January 4, 2011 @ 2:26 am

I know this rocks, I made a similar versions, but aren't grapefruits awesome at this time of the year, we are buying them by the bagloads, oh butt busting workouts..I need to really vamp up my workouts..loved your last post, just commented and loved your reasons ,take care
    sweetlife

A Canadian Foodie — January 4, 2011 @ 5:05 am

I love grapefruit everything – even perfume!!! What season is it where you live? I have to ask, because it is definitely too cold for this now, but it is definitely on THE LIST!
    I have an ice cream maker (or two) and am excited about this!
    valerie

Lawyer Loves Lunch — January 4, 2011 @ 6:27 am

This combination sounds so unexpected and yet, so tasty! Even though it's freezing cold here (and I know it doesn't even begin to compare to your winter), I still really really want this. Oh, and an ice cream maker of course! Happy new year, friend :)

Raw_Girl — January 4, 2011 @ 6:48 am

Gorgeous and guilt free! Thank you!

Sandy - Everyday Southwest — January 4, 2011 @ 7:13 am

I love grapefruit! I just never thought to put them in sorbet… genius!

meltingbutter.com — January 4, 2011 @ 9:51 am

oooh, grapefruit and basil sounds like a winning combo! Well done :)

highplainsdrifters — January 4, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner! Best dessert of the new year already!

shannon — January 4, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Basil is such a wonderful flavor. I often add it to my chocolate cakes…love it. Congrats on making Foodbuzz Top 9…well deserved!!

Christina — January 4, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

This looks so fresh, light and tasty! Definitely welcome after all the holiday indulgences!

Tiffany — January 4, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

This seems so refreshing! And like you, I too, NEED dessert! :D

Lori — January 4, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Sounds very refreshing. I love grapefruit.

Cheers to hefty workouts. I am right there with you.

Dinners and Dreams — January 5, 2011 @ 12:04 am

I like unique sorbet and ice cream flavors. This one is definitely one of them.

Cheers,

Nisrine

Mark — January 5, 2011 @ 12:09 am

Yum. You can't simulate that grapefruit color. Thanks.

Reeni — January 5, 2011 @ 1:52 am

What a refreshing and pretty treat! I am loving the basil you added!

Claudia — January 5, 2011 @ 3:44 am

Now, that's refreshing. And delicious. The best way to start a New year!

Juliana — January 5, 2011 @ 5:16 am

Wow, what a lovely sorbet…I love the idea of basil and grapefruit…can only imagine the taste of it. The color is so nice and pretty :-) Happy New Year!

tasteofbeirut — January 5, 2011 @ 5:45 am

Very appealing sorbet; I could feel it on my tongue and love the tanginess of it; the addition of basil is original and worth