Roasted Red Pepper Aioli and Steamed Artichokes

Defining Healthy~

January is the most diet-friendly month of the year. After New Year’s Day there are no major (American) holidays involving food. You’ve more than likely just come off a month-long gluttonous binge and are ready for lighter meals. Plus, there are usually friends happy to join in on a first-of-the-year health kick!

The problem is, we all define “eating healthy” differently these days. For some a healthy diet means gluten-free. To others sugar-free is the straight and narrow path.  Not to mention those that go:  low-carb, no-carb, high-protein, vegetarian, vegan, low-fat, whole-grain, raw-foods-only, yeast-free, heavy-on-supplements, or organic locavore. It’s dizzying to keep up with it all!

My personal definition of a healthy diet includes: high-protein, whole-grain carbs in smaller portions, and lots of veggies–preferably organic and locally grown. I also (when I’m behaving myself) try to keep sugar at a minimum.  I don’t generally worry about fat. I figure if I’m keeping the carbs and sugar in check, I can eat a little fat when it enhances my food!

That’s the case with aioli. Velvety aioli is birthed by whipping egg yolks and oil together, but the result is worth every last calorie. And depending on what you eat it with, can be quite healthy! Here I’ve paired a silky, savory roasted red pepper aioli with steamed artichoke leaves. You simply dip the fleshy end of the leaves in the aioli and scrape the artichoke “meat” off with your teeth, discarding the rest! This is a low-carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, vegetarian snack that leaves you with a sense of indulgence!

Let’s discuss eggs for a moment…

Some people are nervous to try aioli because it contains raw eggs. To put your mind at rest, please consider that nearly all cases of salmonella derive from eggs that are mass produced. Although there are “regulations” on these companies, let’s face it, there is too much corruption in our food industry and government to keep them under wraps.

Eggs are naturally sealed with a self-protecting microbial layer that guards them from bacteria. When large eggs producers process their eggs they clean the eggs, therefore washing off the God-intended antibacterial coating. So what happens if the “clean” eggs are compromised in the factory? They have no way to guard themselves from new contaminates!

Buying eggs from a local source is the safest way to go. Most small farms take great pride in how they care for their chickens and eggs. Many local grocers carry eggs laid in their own community.

I like to buy eggs at the farmers market. When you buy “fresh” eggs, meaning unprocessed and never refrigerated, you can actually keep them out on the counter for several weeks because they still contain their protective layer! If you buy fresh eggs and keep them out, you never have to worry about bringing them to room temperature for baking–plus they taste better. Honestly.

In most cases, salmonella comes from the exterior of eggs (of those eggs that have been processed.) It only contaminates the egg when you crack it and the whites touch the shell. So for further protection, wash your eggs thoroughly before cracking. *But makes sure to only wash fresh egg RIGHT before using them–you don’t want to mess up that protective shield!

If you buy local eggs and wash them before using, you pretty much eliminate your need to worry!

Place the egg yolks, garlic, cayenne and slat in the food processor. Puree until smooth, then add the red pepper and puree until smooth again.

While the mixture is pureeing slowly pour in the oil. Puree until the mixture has emulsified to your desired consistency.  Taste, then salt as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water and place a steaming basket over it. Cover and bring to a boil.

Trim the artichoke stems off, and trim ¾ inch off the top of the artichoke flower. Pull off any damaged leaves around the base.

Using kitchen shears, trim each point off the outer leaves.

Squeeze lemon juice over the cut edges to reduce browning.

Sprinkle with salt and place in the steam basket. Cover and steam the artichokes for 30-40 minutes, until a center leaf pulls out easily.

Serve the artichokes with the aioli on the side for dipping! Or try it with fingerling potatoes.

*Most aioli recipes only contain 1-2 egg yolks. This recipe calls for 3 to compensate for the moisture in the red pepper.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Roasted Red Pepper Aioli and Steamed Artichokes

3 egg yolks
1 garlic clove
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
1 jarred roasted red pepper, drained
1 cup oil of choice
2-3 large artichokes
lemon juice
Salt

Place the egg yolks, garlic, cayenne and salt in the food processor. Puree until smooth, then add the red pepper and puree until smooth again.

While the mixture is pureeing slowly pour in the oil. Puree until the mixture has emulsified to your desired consistency. Taste, then salt as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Using kitchen shears, trim each point off the outer leaves. Squeeze lemon juice over the cut edges to reduce browning.

Serve the artichokes with the aioli on the side for dipping! Or try it with fingerling potatoes.

51 Responses to “Roasted Red Pepper Aioli and Steamed Artichokes”

Alison — January 10, 2011 @ 3:37 am

I adore artichokes! Beautiful photos.

Katerina — January 10, 2011 @ 8:03 am

My son's godmother had salmonela and stayed a week at the hospital. I don't feel comfortable with raw eggs and I avoid using them. I use only the ones that come from my father's aunt who has chickens. The artichokes look so vivid.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 10, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I haven't had steamed artichokes in so long, I think it's about time I did so. I usually like to dip mine in vinaigrette but roasted red pepper aioli sounds like a nice change of pace.

Belinda @zomppa — January 10, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Beautiful artichokes…I need to eat more veggies, my issue my entire life! I'm completely behind you about getting local eggs. I wish I had chickens in the backyard for my own!

highplainsdrifters — January 10, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

I bought some cage-free eggs the other day. But once I got home I thought, why would anyone need to cage their eggs? Not like their going to run away.

I'll take your word on January being healthy … while I have another serving of shepherd's pie, chili, hot chocolate, etc … :^)

Kristen — January 10, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

At this point in my life, local eggs are too expensive to buy, considering we go through about 3-5 dozen eggs a week in my large family. The idea of the steamed artichokes with the aioli is remarkable. I haven't had an artichoke in a long time.

Ms. WhitePlates — January 10, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

I love aioli! My favourite way to have it is on fish, it's enough creaminess and flavour with taking over the entire dish. I agree with you, there is so much negative hype about the dangers of salmonella, e coli and such that I'm not entirely sure people are stopping to consider why this is occurring.

A note: I was watching an old episode of Jacques Pepin and he said to crack the egg on the table top (gently!) instead of the side of a bowl because that way you don't push the bacteria into the egg. It's hard to break a habit though, but I'm trying!

Lea Ann — January 10, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Great post. This aioli looks delicious and I'm going to make it this week. Very informative on eggs. I always wondered about those kitchen photos showing those hanging wire baskets filled with unrefrigerated eggs. Now I know.

Ali — January 10, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

I have never made artichokes like this. You've inspired me to try it! Great photos.

laura — January 10, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

Gorgeous, Sommer! I loved your explanation about eggs and agree with your "healthy" diet. xoxo

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE — January 10, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Other thoughts on eggs…

I've recently learned it's very easy to keep your own laying hens! We don't have any (YET), but several of our friends do. They are very inexpensive to buy and feed. Plus, they just roam around your yard–if you've raised them, they're family, and won't run off!

You simply need to have a place to lock them up at night so hungry varmint won't be able to get to them!

Also, I was previously unaware that you don't need a rooster! Hen will lay eggs daily whether they are fertilized or not!

…Just something to consider!

Monet — January 10, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

What a beautiful post. It was such a pleasure to read! I agree with your definition of a healthy diet…this is exactly what I strive for, year round! And I loved hearing your thoughts about buying fresh eggs. So very true! Ryan and I adore artichokes, and I can't wait to try making that aioli. Thank you for sharing. I hope you are having a happy Monday. Your words on my blog are so appreciated!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow — January 10, 2011 @ 4:04 pm

Your artichokes look gorgeous. I just had to stop myself from trying to eat the screen. lol! Yum!!!

Evan Thomas — January 10, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

I've never made an aioli, not from fear of raw eggs but just because I didn't know how! This sounds great since I love roasted pepper in just about anything.

I think eggs certainly have a place in a healthy, well-rounded diet. There are so many worse things that you can put into your body like trans fats and artificial colors that harping on something natural like eggs seems silly.

Emily Z — January 10, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I love artichokes, and your aioli looks perfect. Yum! I also saw your comment on having your own laying hens. Unfortunately, that is not legal in all cities, such as mine. So for some people it is still not an option. I would love to, if it was legal, and if my husband would allow it. ;) My brother had some hens for a while, they were friendly and pettable and would be something the kids could enjoy having around and learning about as well.

Indonesian In Turkey — January 10, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

hmm..I should try this one sometimes… sounds wonderful and healthy. Nice photos though ^_^
    ~Citra~

Lizzy — January 10, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Your photos are incredible!!! I adore artichokes and bet the aioli is a fabulous complement…great post, Sommer!

bunkycooks — January 10, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

We loved steamed artichokes and they are definitely on my current "diet" plan! I am certain the aioli is a delightful companion to the artichoke and I will certainly give it a try sometime soon!

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy — January 10, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

January is surely not a diet month atleast for me coz I m about to post a dessert recipe :) I love the deep green color of your artichokes..gorgeous pictures.This dip & artichoke combo sounds really healthy & yum!

MaryMoh — January 10, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Beautiful pictures and informative post. Love the dip. I have never tried artichokes. Would love to try one day. I love eggs and eat them very often, almost everyday. They are very good for health. I love it soft boiled.

Angie's Recipes — January 10, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

You know, I have never cooked fresh artichokes at home…thought it's very difficult to make them look and taste great. Now I have to give it a 2nd thought and get a couple of fresh ones to try.

Brenh — January 10, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Fantastic soup! I love it lovely artichoke in it!

Scott — January 10, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

Thank you. I cannot wait to see the look on Michelle's face when I bring home some laying hens. :-) I'm now armed with good reason.

Absolutely wonderful pictures and a nice recipe.

I didn't know that about eggs. I always figured if Rocky could drink some raw ones why can't I.

Gulmohar — January 10, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Perfect recipe for January..Got to try artichokes more often ;-)

happywhennothungry — January 10, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

I usually stuff my artichokes with a breadcrumb and garlic mixture, but dipping in aioli looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Chow and Chatter — January 10, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

lovely dip and great info on eggs :-) and love the photos as ever your a star

Kate @ Diethood.com — January 10, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

My idea of a healthy diet is the same as yours – smaller portions, high protein (keeps you full longer), less sugar, and good carbs.

I would love to try eating my artichokes by dipping them in aioli…I've never done that!
    And, your photos are beautiful!

Carolyn — January 11, 2011 @ 12:13 am

I'd love my own backyard chickens, but I'm pretty certain my little suburb of Boston wouldn't allow it. I've been eating eggs raw much of my life, since i love to taste cookie and cake batter. I've never once had salmonella. I am not saying it's not a risk, obviously it is, but the risk is relatively low.

I love your aioli with the artichokes, looks delicious. For me, healthy means low carb but that's only because I HAVE to for my diabetes. I let the fats reign supreme, as it's the only way I stay full enough. A diabetic runner with a fast metabolism – who'd have thunk it?

Torviewtoronto — January 11, 2011 @ 1:48 am

looks healthy and delicious lovely picture

5 Star Foodie — January 11, 2011 @ 2:02 am

I adore making & eating aioli! Your roast red pepper one sounds wonderful, and excellent with artichokes!

Gitte — January 11, 2011 @ 2:11 am

I remember my parents always having the eggs sitting out on the counter in the cool mud room. Make sense now, they bought their eggs from a local farmer. The lightbulb just came on!
    Beautiful pictures.

Katie@Cozydelicious — January 11, 2011 @ 2:54 am

I do buy eggs from a local country sore – and they ae wonderful. But I never knew about that protective coating. Thanks for the info – very cool! And I love artichokes with ailoi. Yum!

Anna — January 11, 2011 @ 5:16 am

I love, love artichokes, they are not only delicious but also so pretty. That's a great step by step post. Have a great week Sommer.

Suchitra — January 11, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Hi there, I love all your blog posts/recipes- especially the steamed artichokes is something i really liked, will love to give it a shot!

A Canadian Foodie — January 11, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Sommer!
    You are singing my song. The tutorial photographs are STUNNING! I cannot wait until DSL bootcamp next month. You definition of "diet" and healthy eating is very similar to mine. Buy local. Make it from scratch. Know about health and food and how to make a full protein without meat. Use more pulses (legumes and lentils) this year. And, I did know about the egg shell washing. SO glad you are sharing that. Our farmers have theirs washed to sell at a market as it is regulation here – but, if you get them from the farm, they need not even go into the fridge if they haven't been washed! I love that. I am ALL about the best eggs I can buy and knowing my farmers.
    Kudos to you for this wonderful, artistic and healthy beginning to the new year. You have opened a discussion which I see few engaged in… but for those of us that did, this is why I love blogging.
    And aioli. Oh, twist my arm.
    Valerie

Lora @cakeduchess — January 13, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Great photos! Those artichokes look stunning! I love your aioli sauce. I could eat 10 of those for sure!!

Monet — January 13, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

These photographs need to be included in a cookbook! I’m simply blown away. I love artichokes, and I’ve never seen a prettier post on my favorite vegetable. Truly! I usually eat mine plain, but I’m going to have to give your delightful red pepper aioli a try. I loved the advice about the eggs too…I had no idea! Thank you so much for sharing with me…and for encouraging us to pursue a healthy, balanced diet.

The Food Hound — January 13, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I get local eggs and I don’t mind at all if they’re raw– especially if they’re in cookie dough :) My idea of healthy is whatever I feel like eating at the moment in its most natural state. I agree with the idea that fat is fabulous and should not be restricted :) I’ve never prepared an artichoke EVER, but that aioli is enough to tempt me!! Looks delish, thanks for posting!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — January 14, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Wow, absolutely gorgeous photos! I’ve never made steamed artichokes before but have always wanted to try it. The roasted red pepper aioli looks insanely delicious and is just calling my name. My mama loves artichokes and she would just go crazy over this!

Debbie — January 14, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Love you today! Hubby and I are doing South Beach…again and I always struggle in bringing in new recipes for Phase 1. I have never tried to make my own artichokes, but I think its time thank you so much for the recipe and the beautiful, inspiring photos!

Pachecopatty — January 16, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Happy New Year Sommer!

Nice artichoke recipe to kick off a healthy January after oaur holiday season indulgences.

I love poached eggs and just returned from Australia where the egg yolks are a bright orange compared to the ones we see here.
    The new blog design is nice, did you do it yourself?

Just looking at those artichokes is making my mouth water. I adore eating them (though they’re so expensive around here). I like them with an oil and vinegar sauce, but your aioli sounds fantastic.

Thanks too for the helpful instruction on the eggs, Sommer. I’ve wondered for a long time why fresh eggs are just left out when sold and now I know.

Cheryl — January 27, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

This is wonderful! Your aioli makes my mouth water. I think I’m off to the market… artichokes on the menu al of a sudden!

game — April 9, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

I testament in all probability too Drop a line some tax income oftro choithat Let players to win
    Disembarrass prizes.

1. Pingback: Artichoke With A Poached Egg & Red Pepper Aioli

2. Pingback: Pepper Jack Soup from the Falcon Lake Deli « Cook the Story

3. Pingback: Clearly Delicious » Artichokes with Red Pepper Aioli

4. Pingback: Cook the Story » Blog Archive » Pepper Jack Soup from the Falcon Lake Deli

5. Pingback: How to Roast Red Peppers ~ Roasted Red Peppers | A Spicy Perspective

6. Pingback: Box Contents & Recipes: KW / Cambridge, Guelph and Surrounding Area – February 18, 2014 | Organics Live

7. Pingback: Box Contents & Recipes: Toronto – February 20, 2014 | Organics Live