Crispy Rosemary Hummus

Well I don’t know about you, but I’m still on a health kick. Every January I determine to eat “clean” through the entire month in order to RIGHT the bodily wrongs I achieved over the holidays! This is an old standing tradition for the hubs and I. One month of yule log and bonbons without care or concern, then one month of purging “white foods” out of our systems. Around the first week of February we slowly sashe back into a still healthy, but less religious, way of eating…before Valentine chocolates arrive!

For me snacks are the trickiest part of eating light. It’s so easy to grab pre-packaged crap at a coffee bar, or load up on glorious cheese and crackers. The only way for me to reach my goal this month is to plan ahead. I’ve been making slow carb meals to take on-the-go, and preparing better snack options.

Hummus is one of my favorite solutions! It’s rich, filling, flavorful, and easy to pack with cut veggies.  Several years ago I realized you could make hummus even lighter (without giving up flavor) by substituting plain greek yogurt for the tahini. Tahini is a wonderful sesame paste that lends a nutty essence and creamy texture to hummus, BUT it’s loaded with fat. Most store-bought brands of hummus add both tahini and olive oil. I decided to add greek yogurt for a smooth texture and (less) herb-infused olive oil for flavor. The results~ TAHINI WHO?

I’ve made this hummus in numerous variations, but this is a favorite. Flash-frying fresh rosemary sprigs in olive oil is a multi-purpose venture. First it crisps-up the tough rubbery rosemary leaves, also mellowing out the overpowering flavor. Second the rosemary perfumes the olive oil. So when you add the rosemary-infused olive oil and the crispy leaves to the hummus you get a mild, but well-rounded piney flavor. Plus it takes less than 5 minutes to make!

Crispy Rosemary Hummus is a great snack when guests drop by. I try to keep garbanzo beans stocked for just such occasions!

To prepare:

Place the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Once smoking, flash-fry the rosemary sprigs for 30 seconds per side. Remove and place on a paper towel, reserving the oil.

Place the garbanzo beans in the food processor with the yogurt, rosemary-infused olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree to your desired consistency.

Pull the crispy rosemary leaves off the stems and place them in the food processor. Pulse until the rosemary has worked through the hummus. Makes 2 ½ cups.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Cook Time: 1 minute

Crispy Rosemary Hummus

2-15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
2 ½ Tb. olive oil
3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 tsp, lemon juice
1 large garlic clove
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Place the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Once smoking, flash-fry the rosemary sprigs for 30 seconds per side. Remove and place on a paper towel, reserving the olive oil.

Place the garbanzo beans in the food processor with the yogurt, rosemary-infused oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree to desired consistency.

79 Responses to “Crispy Rosemary Hummus”

Sanura @ MyLifeRunsOnnFood.com — January 26, 2011 @ 12:43 am

I love the addition of rosemary, because it is one of my favorite herbs. The yogurt is the best idea, because it has become my important kitchen ingredient. It does make perfect sense to make hummus with it. It’s a perfect idea.

Jay — January 26, 2011 @ 5:30 am

Hy,
    First time here…Amazed with your space …lovely space
    with nice collection of recipes…
    Am your proud follower nw…
    Do drop by mine sometime…
    Tasty appetite

Gourmet Gadget Gal — January 26, 2011 @ 9:29 am

I have an ongoing romance with Greek yogurt. I just got a yogurt machine for Christmas and I have to figure it all out but I think it is a great substitue for adding richness without much fat. I am still trying to get the boys to eat hummus as a snack but not much luck there yet.

claireamberson — January 26, 2011 @ 10:16 am

yum! the photos are truly beautiful! i cant wait to try this dip.. maybe for superbowl weekend to keep everyone healthy! :)

Tiffany Rosenberger — January 26, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Great photos and love the use of rosemary in the recipe. Just WOW!

Lora @cakeduchess — January 26, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I love the smell of fresh rosemary flash frying. What a great idea to make hummus with the rosemary. This is healthy and oh so good;)

Marisa — January 26, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

You have me sold with the description of the fried crispy rosemary. I love hummus. Never really knew that tahini was loaded with fat. Nice sub with the Greek yogurt!

wizzythestick — January 26, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

the yoghurt in the hummus definitely has me intrigued

Chef Dennis — January 27, 2011 @ 5:43 am

hi Sommer
    I love hummus and your version does sound delicious! Yogurt instead of tahinni is a nice idea, and flashing the rosemary made all the difference really getting the flavors out.
    Gorgeous images as usual, I do love coming to your blog!
    Cheers
    Dennis

Priya Mahadevan — January 27, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

Hi First time on your blog – The hummus looks SOOO good! I am a huge fan of Rosemary herb and cook a lot with it- I will have to add this recipe to my repertoire of rosemary dishes – Awesome site!

A little bit of everything — January 28, 2011 @ 1:03 am

I love hummus and your version sounds healthy and delicious. Love the addition of both Greek yogurt and rosemary.
    Thanks for sharing Sommer, Hope you’ll have a wonderful Friday.

p.s. sent you a foodbuzz friend request, hope you’ll accept it. thanks

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 28, 2011 @ 2:11 am

What a nice variation to add rosemary to the hummus. Infusing the oil that way must really bring out all the flavors. I bet this would also be nice as a white bean hummus since rosemary and white beans go well together too.

Sanjeeta kk — January 28, 2011 @ 3:14 am

Wow! Love the healthy Hummus with yogurt and rosemary, flavorful recipe.

zenobia — January 28, 2011 @ 5:49 am

Lovely recipe!

Are garbanzo beans the same as chick peas? It looks like chick peas from your photos….

Stella — January 30, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Hey Sommer, this lighter style hummus looks wonderful. We made hummus the other day and forgot to put any oil in it, and it actually turned out wonderfully. I loved it, so I know that omitting a fat can still allow for a wonderful bean dip;-) Mer believes yer (smile)! Yum…

Katrina — February 1, 2011 @ 7:34 am

I’ve never been motivated to make my own hummus until now! I will be making this for sure!! Thanks!

I found you on foodbuzz :)

irena — February 5, 2011 @ 12:20 am

What a wonderful blog this is…love the hummus and the photos:)
    Today I had guest blog post with lovely gluten free recipe…check it out, Thank You

Gitte — February 20, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Love the new look of your site, very nice! I’ll have to try making hummus with yogurt instead of Tahini, sounds like a really good idea.

Meg's Everyday Indulgence — August 18, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Sounds amazing! I’ve been wanting to make hummus and I just happen to have a lot of rosemary growing that I need to use up!

Marilee516 — September 3, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! this Hummus.
    I’ve made it twice now for company and it’s been a super hit. I followed the recipe as written except I made 1/2 batches each time and had to add a little extra lemon juice and olive oil to get the right consistancy. Such wonderful flavors in every bite. (the rosemary makes it soooo special)
    I say, “TRY THIS RECIPE!”

Joan Nova — September 30, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Very nice — I’m going to try this immediately. No lie!

1. Pingback: Fried Rosemary & Greek Yogurt Hummus | From the Little Yellow Kitchen

2. Pingback: Yum Alert: Fried Rosemary & Greek Yogurt Hummus | The Luxury Spot