Crispy Rosemary Hummus

Well I don’t know about you, but I’m still on a health kick. Every January I determine to eat “clean” through the entire month in order to RIGHT the bodily wrongs I achieved over the holidays! This is an old standing tradition for the hubs and I. One month of yule log and bonbons without care or concern, then one month of purging “white foods” out of our systems. Around the first week of February we slowly sashe back into a still healthy, but less religious, way of eating…before Valentine chocolates arrive!

For me snacks are the trickiest part of eating light. It’s so easy to grab pre-packaged crap at a coffee bar, or load up on glorious cheese and crackers. The only way for me to reach my goal this month is to plan ahead. I’ve been making slow carb meals to take on-the-go, and preparing better snack options.

Hummus is one of my favorite solutions! It’s rich, filling, flavorful, and easy to pack with cut veggies.  Several years ago I realized you could make hummus even lighter (without giving up flavor) by substituting plain greek yogurt for the tahini. Tahini is a wonderful sesame paste that lends a nutty essence and creamy texture to hummus, BUT it’s loaded with fat. Most store-bought brands of hummus add both tahini and olive oil. I decided to add greek yogurt for a smooth texture and (less) herb-infused olive oil for flavor. The results~ TAHINI WHO?

I’ve made this hummus in numerous variations, but this is a favorite. Flash-frying fresh rosemary sprigs in olive oil is a multi-purpose venture. First it crisps-up the tough rubbery rosemary leaves, also mellowing out the overpowering flavor. Second the rosemary perfumes the olive oil. So when you add the rosemary-infused olive oil and the crispy leaves to the hummus you get a mild, but well-rounded piney flavor. Plus it takes less than 5 minutes to make!

Crispy Rosemary Hummus is a great snack when guests drop by. I try to keep garbanzo beans stocked for just such occasions!

To prepare:

Place the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Once smoking, flash-fry the rosemary sprigs for 30 seconds per side. Remove and place on a paper towel, reserving the oil.

Place the garbanzo beans in the food processor with the yogurt, rosemary-infused olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree to your desired consistency.

Pull the crispy rosemary leaves off the stems and place them in the food processor. Pulse until the rosemary has worked through the hummus. Makes 2 ½ cups.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Cook Time: 1 minute

Crispy Rosemary Hummus

2-15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
2 ½ Tb. olive oil
3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 tsp, lemon juice
1 large garlic clove
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste

Place the oil in a small skillet over high heat. Once smoking, flash-fry the rosemary sprigs for 30 seconds per side. Remove and place on a paper towel, reserving the olive oil.

Place the garbanzo beans in the food processor with the yogurt, rosemary-infused oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree to desired consistency.

79 Responses to “Crispy Rosemary Hummus”

Katerina — January 24, 2011 @ 3:19 am

This looks delicious plus it is healthy. I would accompany it with baked pita bread.

denise @ bread expectations — January 24, 2011 @ 3:59 am

Love the idea of flash frying the rosemary before incorporating the sprigs into the hummus! You really do have a special brand of kitchen genius Sommer :)

Blog is the New Black — January 24, 2011 @ 4:16 am

I really like the idea of rosemary hummus! :)

Belinda @zomppa — January 24, 2011 @ 7:19 am

You’re so good staying on this healthy meal thing! I love the frying of rosemary too – gets the flavor to pop! Brilliant.

Dmarie — January 24, 2011 @ 7:23 am

wow, that’s a twist on hummus that I’ve never seen. as I love hummus, many thanks for this!

The Food Hound — January 24, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Rosemary in hummus?? Brilliant!! Two of my favorite things!! And interesting thought to add Greek yogurt!

My Kitchen in the Rockies — January 24, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I also like the addition of the Greek yogurt. I am sure it would also taste great with Thyme. Thanks, Sommer.

Aipi — January 24, 2011 @ 10:40 am

This post has made me realize it has been WAY too long since I’ve had hummus! Looks delicious..loved the addition of rosemary n greek yogurt!!
    This is my first visit to your blog but I love the food you feature here. I’ll be back often :)

US Masala

Liz — January 24, 2011 @ 11:54 am

I made hummus nearly every week…the thought of adding rosemary is genius! I bet the flavor combination is incredible!!!

Jill Colonna — January 24, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

This looks yum! LOVE the addition of crispy rosemary. What can I say? I’ll by trying that one, thanks!

Judy — January 24, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

I like this recipe. I make hummus a lot, but never thought of using NF Greek yogurt instead of Tahini. Besides being non-fat, the yogurt is also cheaper.

Suchitra — January 24, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

never tried rosemary with hummus- Looks super delicious!

Kristen — January 24, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I am sure that rosemary lends a wonderful flavor to the hummus. Makes me want to go out to my garden and pick some, just so I can make hummus!

Jean — January 24, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Great idea to use rosemary this way. I’ve never thought to add it to hummus. Looks great!

Gwen~healthymamma — January 24, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I’m with you, we usually eat pretty healthy most of the time, especially in Jan.
    I adore hummus! Great idea using infused rosemary oil! I’ll try this next time I make hummus!

Biren @ Roti n Rice — January 24, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

This rosemary infused hummus sounds great! I also like the addition of the Greek yogurt.

Victoria — January 24, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I love this idea to use yogurt instead of tahini. I agree that tahini, thought delicious, is really fattening. What a nice lightened up version, thanks for sharing!

Monet — January 24, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

I’m a huge hummus girl…so this recipe sounds PERFECT. We have rosemary in our garden out back, but I’ve never thought of adding it to hummus. Flash frying it is a great way to release the flavor too! Thank you so much for sharing with me today. I hope you are having a happy day!

Sprinkled with Flour — January 24, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

im a recent convert to hummus, and homemade is so much better than the store-bougt stuff! This recipe looks like a great one to try, yum:)

sweetlife — January 24, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

great re vamp, i love the second pic, super healthy super delish!! a perfect super bowl treat!

sweetlife

Evan Thomas — January 24, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

This sounds terrific! I love the flavor of rosemary in earthy dishes. This must be amazing with some pita.

Rosa — January 24, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

I love that Italianesque hummus! Great flavors and perfectly healthy.

Cheers,

Rosa

Apicius' Apprentice — January 24, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Ok, first of all. I want to say it again: I love the new site! I can’t get over how clean and bright the site looks. Second of all, this is such a great suggestion. I have never tried flash frying rosemary before but I can imagine how nice of a taste it adds to the hummus. Third of all, brilliant! Yogurt instead of tahini! I love it! Good luck with finishing the month out. I applaud (and am in awe) of your ability to stick with such a specific regimen!

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy — January 24, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

I love the sound of crispy and hummus together.I love your new and healthy take on hummus and the checkerboard background.Have a nice week ahead.

Kate @ Diethood.com — January 24, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

OH YUM! Love that you used rosemary – that hummus sounds incredible!

Juliana — January 24, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Hummus and rosemary? What a great idea…will definitely try this version…I have rosemary growing…nice photos :-)

Cookin' Canuck — January 24, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

What an original take on hummus! The use of Greek yogurt is brilliant.

Jennifurla — January 24, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

I have no lie…like 20 rosemary bushes that are all 6ft tall. I need this!

Patty — January 24, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Great recipe! We eat a lot of hummus and I like the use of rosemary infused oil in your recipe. Eating healthy is really not a sacrifice when you eat this way:-)

Priscilla - She's Cookin' — January 24, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

I usually just leave out the tahini, but I’ll try it with Greek yogurt and rosemary infused oil next time. Great healthy recipe for any time of year!

rebecca — January 24, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

love this hummus and your right snacks are tricky

Joy — January 24, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

I love hummus too! It’s really is a perfect light snack that you can even transform into a meal. I don’t like using tahini either, the fat content is such a turn-off. To compensate I use white miso and soy milk along with the lemon juice and olive oil. i’ve been doing it so long that tahini hummus tastes so vastly different! The rosemary is lovely.

Velva — January 24, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Hummus is a wonderful way to snack and still enjoy food that is delicious and healthy. Cheers to your January tradition.

Velva

P.S. Love your new web site.

A Canadian Foodie — January 24, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

I love humus and just saw fennel humus on – oh my gosh – I have clearly been reading too many blogs. I have to think about whose sight. Maybe you saw it, too. I love rosemary – and toasting it is a great idea for bringing out the piney flavours. I cannot – truly – imagine it in humus. But, I am definitely going to sniff some with my next batch of hummus to get the idea.
    (I have a rosemary tree.)
    Valerie

Katie@Cozydelicious — January 24, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

What a great idea to sub yogurt and herb infused oil for the tahini! I’m sure it’s different, but it looks just wonderful. So creamy!

torviewtoronto — January 24, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

delicious hummus haven’t added yogurt in it

Belinda — January 24, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I just made your hummus. IT CHANGED MY LIFE. As I just told my friend, I want to eat it forever. It’s light and creamy and the rosemary just takes it to a new level of flavour, ngh.

• Sommer — January 26th, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

That is the BEST compliment I’ve received in a long time, Belinda! Thanks for making my day!

Priya Sreeram — January 24, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

lovely clicks i must say and the recipe is swell !

Hyosun Ro — January 24, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

I just bought garbanzo beans to make hummus. I will definitely use this recipe to make it now. I have all the ingredients. Thanks for the great recipe!

Angie's Recipes — January 24, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Light and healthy! What I love about this hummus recipe is that you used fresh rosemary infused oil to blend the chickpeas. Marvelous!

visda — January 25, 2011 @ 12:53 am

Gorgeous recipe. I always have the problem of the garlics smell with humus and you totally solved it with the great aroma and taste of rosemary. Thanks for sharing.

Alicia @ Aligirl Cooks — January 25, 2011 @ 7:54 am

I love the idea of Greek yogurt in hummus! I love a good creamy hummus and sometimes add a bit of water to get that texture. This is the perfect solution.

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 25, 2011 @ 8:38 am

Love this! It looks so delicious :)

5 Star Foodie — January 25, 2011 @ 9:10 am

The hummus looks wonderfully delicious and I love the rosemary here, excellent flavors!

Shirley — January 25, 2011 @ 11:18 am

This is genius! I love hummus but always feel like I’m adding a quart of olive oil. Subbing in water dilutes the flavor. Greek yogurt? Must try!!

blackbookkitchendiaries — January 25, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

i have to say that i really love how new site makeover… it’s looks beautiful:) this dish sounds very yummy i love the that you added rosemary in here.. thanks for sharing this.

Amy Bakes Everything — January 25, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Oh my Gorgeous! I’m pretty sure I could dive into that hummus and take a bath! And how do you keep your food processor so clean?

Nana — January 25, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

Oh no, my Rosemary plants just froze, I left them out on the deck. I’ll have to buy Rosemary at the store in order to try this hummus but I already know I will love it!

Hyosun Ro — January 25, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Just made this and writing as I am eating. Delicious!!

• Sommer — January 26th, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

I’m so glad you like it!

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 25, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

Yummy! I have never tried a rosemary hummus before. Considering how much I love hummus, I will definitely have to give this recipe a try! :)

Sanura @ MyLifeRunsOnnFood.com — January 26, 2011 @ 12:43 am

I love the addition of rosemary, because it is one of my favorite herbs. The yogurt is the best idea, because it has become my important kitchen ingredient. It does make perfect sense to make hummus with it. It’s a perfect idea.

Jay — January 26, 2011 @ 5:30 am

Hy,
    First time here…Amazed with your space …lovely space
    with nice collection of recipes…
    Am your proud follower nw…
    Do drop by mine sometime…
    Tasty appetite

Gourmet Gadget Gal — January 26, 2011 @ 9:29 am

I have an ongoing romance with Greek yogurt. I just got a yogurt machine for Christmas and I have to figure it all out but I think it is a great substitue for adding richness without much fat. I am still trying to get the boys to eat hummus as a snack but not much luck there yet.

claireamberson — January 26, 2011 @ 10:16 am

yum! the photos are truly beautiful! i cant wait to try this dip.. maybe for superbowl weekend to keep everyone healthy! :)

Tiffany Rosenberger — January 26, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Great photos and love the use of rosemary in the recipe. Just WOW!

Lora @cakeduchess — January 26, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I love the smell of fresh rosemary flash frying. What a great idea to make hummus with the rosemary. This is healthy and oh so good;)

Marisa — January 26, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

You have me sold with the description of the fried crispy rosemary. I love hummus. Never really knew that tahini was loaded with fat. Nice sub with the Greek yogurt!

wizzythestick — January 26, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

the yoghurt in the hummus definitely has me intrigued

Chef Dennis — January 27, 2011 @ 5:43 am

hi Sommer
    I love hummus and your version does sound delicious! Yogurt instead of tahinni is a nice idea, and flashing the rosemary made all the difference really getting the flavors out.
    Gorgeous images as usual, I do love coming to your blog!
    Cheers
    Dennis

Priya Mahadevan — January 27, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

Hi First time on your blog – The hummus looks SOOO good! I am a huge fan of Rosemary herb and cook a lot with it- I will have to add this recipe to my repertoire of rosemary dishes – Awesome site!

A little bit of everything — January 28, 2011 @ 1:03 am

I love hummus and your version sounds healthy and delicious. Love the addition of both Greek yogurt and rosemary.
    Thanks for sharing Sommer, Hope you’ll have a wonderful Friday.

p.s. sent you a foodbuzz friend request, hope you’ll accept it. thanks

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 28, 2011 @ 2:11 am

What a nice variation to add rosemary to the hummus. Infusing the oil that way must really bring out all the flavors. I bet this would also be nice as a white bean hummus since rosemary and white beans go well together too.

Sanjeeta kk — January 28, 2011 @ 3:14 am

Wow! Love the healthy Hummus with yogurt and rosemary, flavorful recipe.

zenobia — January 28, 2011 @ 5:49 am

Lovely recipe!

Are garbanzo beans the same as chick peas? It looks like chick peas from your photos….

Stella — January 30, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Hey Sommer, this lighter style hummus looks wonderful. We made hummus the other day and forgot to put any oil in it, and it actually turned out wonderfully. I loved it, so I know that omitting a fat can still allow for a wonderful bean dip;-) Mer believes yer (smile)! Yum…

Katrina — February 1, 2011 @ 7:34 am

I’ve never been motivated to make my own hummus until now! I will be making this for sure!! Thanks!

I found you on foodbuzz :)

irena — February 5, 2011 @ 12:20 am

What a wonderful blog this is…love the hummus and the photos:)
    Today I had guest blog post with lovely gluten free recipe…check it out, Thank You

Gitte — February 20, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Love the new look of your site, very nice! I’ll have to try making hummus with yogurt instead of Tahini, sounds like a really good idea.

Meg's Everyday Indulgence — August 18, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Sounds amazing! I’ve been wanting to make hummus and I just happen to have a lot of rosemary growing that I need to use up!

Marilee516 — September 3, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! this Hummus.
    I’ve made it twice now for company and it’s been a super hit. I followed the recipe as written except I made 1/2 batches each time and had to add a little extra lemon juice and olive oil to get the right consistancy. Such wonderful flavors in every bite. (the rosemary makes it soooo special)
    I say, “TRY THIS RECIPE!”

Joan Nova — September 30, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Very nice — I’m going to try this immediately. No lie!

1. Pingback: Fried Rosemary & Greek Yogurt Hummus | From the Little Yellow Kitchen

2. Pingback: Yum Alert: Fried Rosemary & Greek Yogurt Hummus | The Luxury Spot